Photo

trader joe's greens drink details

shake

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ironfistx

• 1,172 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 02:19 AM

Has anyone experience with these?  The only thing I don't really like is the green tea extract.  I questioned them about how much was in there since I've basically never heard anything positive about this and they said they are not allowed to tell because it's a proprietary combination.  I've been putting it in my morning mix.  It has a large orac value nevertheless I don't know how significant that is.

Attached Files

#2 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:27 PM

What don't you like about the Green Tea extract?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#3 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:14 PM

Supposedly it ruins people's livers.

#4 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:23 AM

Assuming the label is accurate, there is 1740 mg "antioxidant blend." Even if this 1740mg was entirely green tea extract (which it obviously is not), that would only be 1044 mg EGCG at 60% polyphenols.

Doses of EGCG up to at least 1600mg are well tolerated in healthy individuals (r). Hepatotoxicity occurs somewhere in the range of 30-90 mg/kg, probably closer to 90, so unless you are ingesting 5+ grams EGCG from other sources or the greens drink is dangerously mislabeled/contaminated, you have no reason to worry about GTE liver damage.

• Informative x 2

#5 ironfistx

• Topic Starter
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

I contacted them and they could not tell me how much was in there because it's proprietary.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#6 pamojja

• 2,840 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

I contacted them and they could not tell me how much was in there because it's proprietary.

I never buy proprietary blends. Because that's only a fancy way for hiding that cheap ingredients make the bulk, and expensive are in tiny amounts. Otherwise they would be all to proud and declare it. Though rare, you can find some which disclose the actual amounts of ingredients.

Edited by pamojja, 05 October 2017 - 10:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users