Photo
- - - - -

Ashwagandha - legal in Europe - ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 drmz

• 574 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

Does anybody know if it's legal to sell/buy Ashwagandha in Europe ? Any source on the internet where you can lookup the legal status of a herb/nootropic ?

Thanks !

#2 raptor

• 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Why would it be illeagal? I bought mine from an online store located in the UK.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 drmz

• Topic Starter
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:24 PM

I don't know. Herbs like Hoodia seem to be illegal in the EU. I never find decent places to ask/lookup the current regulations.

#4 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

I don't know. Herbs like Hoodia seem to be illegal in the EU. I never find decent places to ask/lookup the current regulations.

www.supplementsplus.co.uk sells ashwagandha.

http://www.supplemen...a&o=0&prodid=66

The Scandinavian countries have the tightest drug regulations in the world. Importing say, a supplement consisting of 100mg vitamin C/day is prohibited, and customs confiscate such orders (no criminal charges or anything, you just lose that stuff). However, even though it is prohibited to import those substances even from another EU country, the customs NEVER check such post coming from EU area. It's kind of a double standard but that's how it works. I can't even order a multi from US (50-75% orders stopped by customs), yet would have no problem ordering even some of the harder nootropics from an EU country.

#5 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:08 AM

Supplements Plus is nice when ordering in europe, - fast shipping and they can get most (all?) AOR products.
Never had a problem with Life Extension Organisation products as well, they send from europe.

The Scandinavian countries have the tightest drug regulations in the world.

Germany is even more strict?

Importing say, a supplement consisting of 100mg vitamin C/day is prohibited, and customs confiscate such orders (no criminal charges or anything, you just lose that stuff).

Ordering from US/outside EU: Prohibited stuff like DHEA and Melatonin should be relabeled, sent with usual airmail in a "discreet" box (UPS, DHL, FedEx is no-no), possible larger orders split into several small, - still it can be confiscated and (some times) sent back to the sender.
Yes, I find it harder to order supplements from US to scandinavia than ever before, - if it's supposed to treat a disorder (and yeah, vitamin C apparently is a drug [sfty] ) it goes right back, - it may pass if it's labeled with the correct value (hey, I'm happy to pay customs duty as long as I get my supps) but stuff like Melatonin should always be relabeled.

#6 purerealm

• 227 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:22 AM

That is insane what's wrong with vitamin c?

#7 raptor

• 18 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 08:49 AM

http://www.supplemen...a&o=0&prodid=66

The Scandinavian countries have the tightest drug regulations in the world. Importing say, a supplement consisting of 100mg vitamin C/day is prohibited, and customs confiscate such orders (no criminal charges or anything, you just lose that stuff). However, even though it is prohibited to import those substances even from another EU country, the customs NEVER check such post coming from EU area. It's kind of a double standard but that's how it works. I can't even order a multi from US (50-75% orders stopped by customs), yet would have no problem ordering even some of the harder nootropics from an EU country.

What Scandinavian country are you talking about? I live in Sweden and I have no problem importing stuff from the US, only a small number packages are checked, usually those with a high (>20 USD) value declared. You can even buy high potency ephedra products from Swedish online retailers. Also the drugs laws may be strict, but nothing will happen if your try to import prescription medications (unless they are classified as narcotics or AAS). I’m also sceptical to your claim that importing non scheduled substances from other EU countries would be illegal. In Sweden last time I heard you could even import scheduled substances from other EU countries and customs could do zip because of a legal loophole.

#8 opales

• 892 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

That is insane what's wrong with vitamin c?

When a substance has a daily serving of vitamin/mineral higher than RDA, it's is considered a drug in my country. I learned this the hard way many years back when ordering some regular nutritional supplement from US. They had added vitamin C in that supp for some reason (100mg/serving), so the customs would not let it through. Ordering and sending orders back from and to US is not cheap BTW.

For these reasons I have stopped ordering supplements outside EU. In addition, even if the order would pass customs, you would still have to pay customs duty so the usually lower price when ordering from US is really not that much lower. Most if not all substances available in US can be found somewhere in EU. Hormonal substances might be a little hard to find (not that I would take them anyway), but I guess you could find someone to provide those also. Kenj provided some good practical advices, I personally would not want to go through such trouble.

I actually have the impression (not sure though) that EU has a common directive on this issue, it is just that only few countries actually enforce that standard, like Scandinavia and Germany. OTOH, countries like UK and Netherlands don't have such tight controls, and people from those countries don't have to deal with these issues, they can pretty much order anything from anywhere, although I think the officials are beginning to tighten their control in these countries too.

As I said there is some sort of double standard going on here. The legislation is supposed be the same even when ordering within or outside EU, it's just that EU orders never get checked (see below for additional information). Even more annoyingly, your regular supermarkets have subtances that have much lower quality control and higher amounts of the same subtances that will not pass customs when coming outside EU. I think this is de facto protectionism favoring companies in EU over other countries, and violates the free trade agreement IMO. I don't feel enough about supps right now to make an official complaint about this or anything.

What Scandinavian country are you talking about? I live in Sweden and I have no problem importing stuff from the US, only a small number packages are checked, usually those with a high (>20 USD) value declared. You can even buy high potency ephedra products from Swedish online retailers. Also the drugs laws may be strict, but nothing will happen if your try to import prescription medications (unless they are classified as narcotics or AAS). I’m also sceptical to your claim that importing non scheduled substances from other EU countries would be illegal. In Sweden last time I heard you could even import scheduled substances from other EU countries and customs could do zip because of a legal loophole.

Ok, I live in Finland, I'd say 50-75% of orders from US are checked (personal experience of about 20 orders, not all were supplements). Don't know about Swedish laws or practices, but usually the countries mentioned to have tight regulation on these issues are Scandinavia and Germany. I have asked this from many retailers, and this the answer I have ALWAYS gotten:"We only have trouble delivering to Scandinavia and Germany". It may be that only "high value" orders are checked, however, I don't know why would you consider high declare value cutoff point to be 20USD, as delivery costs are usually are of this order and they are considered be IN the declaration value of the order (at least in Finland). The odds might be improved by putting false labels etc., but many companies refuse to do that sort of stuff.

In Finland the regulatory body on this issue clearly states that ordering substances classified as drugs through an online retailer is prohibited (from any country). They maintain a list what substances are considered drugs and that includes supplements that have higher than RDA of vitamins/mineral. I have no problem believing there are legal loopholes, as I mentioned, I can virtually order any substance sold in the EU area (but practically none outside EU).

#9 raptor

• 18 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

Well you finns have more law and order thats for sure, we'll let anything and especially ANYONE into Sweden [wis]

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 syr_

• 500 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:26 PM

Supplements Plus is nice when ordering in europe, - fast shipping and they can get most (all?) AOR products.
Never had a problem with Life Extension Organisation products as well, they send from europe.

I think they are AOR distributors. And they have some good deals. Ordered from them several times, great customer service.

Never tried LEF, I remember they had an european shop once, but I couldnt find anymore :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users