• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

When the over-educated write about cryonics . . .

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 advancedatheist

• 1,419 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:56 AM

WARNING: Unnecessary neologisms below.

Malchronia: Cryonics and Bionics as Primitive Weapons in the War on Time, by:

Christopher Yorke
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Philosophy
University of Glasgow
67–69 Oakfield Avenue
Glasgow G12 8QQ
Scotland, UK
(christopher_yorke@hotmail.com)

Lois Rowe
MFA Candidate
Glasgow School of Art
167 Renfrew Street
Glasgow G3 6RQ
Scotland, UK
(loisrowe@hotmail.com)

Where we read the following:

The first nascent technology of time travel we will examine is cryonics, the practice of preparing and storing organisms, in whole or in part, at subzero temperatures, for the purposes of re-animation at a later time. Currently, this procedure is mostly favored by the wealthy terminally ill who have themselves cryogenically preserved as soon after their deaths as possible, in the hopes that they can be revived at some future time, when a cure for their ailment might be available. The reasoning behind this practice is typically justified by making reference to life as the source of ultimate good (regardless of the expected quality of life). Cryonic freezing, by offering even a small chance at future life, is thus touted as a preferable alternative to certain death.

In the most ideal application of this procedure, a frozen body would stay in more or less one geographic location while time marched onwards (note once more the inevitable use of a spatial metaphor), and while various other spatial entities moved around her, cumulatively changing the appearance of her surroundings. After a given length of time, she would be revived and allowed to explore her unfamiliar surroundings with, no doubt, a sense of wonder. This prospect of preserving oneself, whilst one’s physical and social world becomes largely unrecognizable (hopefully for the better), forms part of the underlying utopian dream that pushes forward technological development in cryonics. One might freeze oneself, if not out of sheer desperation or fear of death, then presumably in the hope that one will be greeted by a better world when one is eventually thawed out.

It would seem, however, that to sacrifice the inherent advantages of familiarity with one’s native time and place (for example: knowing where to acquire food, with what currency, using which gestures, and so forth), one must find the present, for one reason or another, wholly intolerable. Whether this is due to concrete reasons, such as concerns for one’s health, or ideological reasons, such as dissatisfaction with the system of governance one is subject to, the compulsion to flight is very similar in effect. This sense of existing in an unbearable present time we call being in a state of ‘malchronia’, or ‘bad-time-condition’, as literally translated from its Greek root and Greek and Latin affixes. A person in a state of malchronia may experience intense psychic distress resulting therefrom, which can be expressed in a condition we have dubbed ‘malchronesis’. One so suffering from malchronesis may respond to the discomforts it induces by becoming what we will refer to further along in the paper as a ‘malchronetic agent’—one who engages in, or agitates for, a war on the limitations imposed by time. The movement from a realization of malchronia to the development of malchronesis—the phenomenological equivalent of an allergenic reaction to time itself—is not necessarily driven by egoistic concerns; one can be sick of one’s own time because of widespread injustice, societal entropy, and environmental conditions which impact others more than oneself, as well as because of profound personal disaffection, maladjustment, or ostracism.

It doesn't get any better after this.

#2 rjws

• 143 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:20 AM

You know Big words are nice, we know your inteeligent and all but if your writing for the masses, it just isnt the way to go. While most IMMINST members can translate that junk, Who wants to? Could I take a paper like that to my friend and say hey look its about cryonics. They would be bored to tears.

#3 brandonreinhart

• 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:42 PM

You know Big words are nice, we know your inteeligent and all but if your writing for the masses, it just isnt the way to go. While most IMMINST members can translate that junk, Who wants to? Could I take a paper like that to my friend and say hey look its about cryonics. They would be bored to tears.

Big words? You sound kind of sciphobic. What do big words have to do with it? First, this article is hardly using any "big words." It's a fairly simple explanation of a concept aimed at a technical audience. Second, this article is discussing a subject that should be of immediate interest to anyone interested in transhumanism.

This is from JET, they aren't writing for the masses. They are writing for a particular audience. You can't criticize an article as a populist work if it isn't intended to be one. (Neither is this article intended to be a technical explanation.)

My initial observation is that it seems strange they immediately associate a desire to continue to persist (extended life) with malchronia. I don't think they are the same thing. I do not feel I was born in the wrong time. I was born in today's era. I like now. I also believe that I would like to see the next era and so forth. This desire is not born from a sense of escapism, but from a desire to persist. I do not believe most supporters of cryonics would say they have been born in a "bad time." Instead, they simply want to see more time.

In the background, behind all of these particular and general dissatisfactions with the present is, no doubt, a concern with cheating time…with gaining immortality.

Again, this seems incorrect. The desire to gain immortality isn't driven from a dissatisfaction with the present, so much as a desire to live. To continue to enjoy what is so enjoyable about life in the present, or any future time.

Ah, now that I have read more I see my problem with this article is the author's attempt to explain what may very well be a legitimate psyschological condition (Malchronia) through the use of metaphor, reference to fiction, and analogy. When they describe the Noah character as a "Malchronic archetype" I begin to suspect the consistency of their argument. The argument is no longer based on a possible scientific explanation for Malchronia or any behavioral patterns that result from it, but instead becomes based on a kind of selective deductive reasoning. The authors choose to make a psychological argument using the selective interpretation of literature. That kind of argument might be interesting if treated as a conjecture, but makes me question the author's intent when delivered with a voice of authority. (Meaning, the conjectural voice would speak with less certainty, because they are building a case for research.)

Although, on the whole, cryonics seems more passive than bionics, both of these strategies for overcoming malchronesis fall under the aegis of a transcendent urge, an ideological compulsion for one-upping what exists in favor of what could take its place.

Again, this is a manipulative interpretation. It is the author's interpretation, instead of an observational analysis. Instead of saying "we interviewed X cyronics members who described their desires as Y therefore we believe Y may be a motivation" the author has chosen to suppose a motivation a priori. Which, again, is fine if argued from the point of view of conjecture. ("We predict that Y is a motivation...") The voice, though, is that of authority, not conjecture. ("We believe Y is the motivation.")

The interpretation is manipulative because of the use of loaded phrases like "ideological compulsion." What is an ideological compulsion? Is that a real psychological construct? If it is, how does this particular motivation qualify as one? It seems to me, the authors chose to use this phrase not because it adds value to their argument, so much as it adds emotional weight. "Ideological compulsion" implies behavior without thought. The basis for the author's argument is that individuals choose cyronics as the result of some desire to escape the now. In fact, most transhumanists think very carefully about the problems presented by human society and how to overcome them (using technology as one tool).

So again, that leads me back to my criticism of your post rjws. If you take an article like this and disregard it out of hand, you play into the position argued by the paper.

By aiming to eliminate certain salient features of the human condition, it also threatens to eliminate the conditions that make conventional morality possible.

This, I think, is the most frustrating statement of the paper. To think that anyone would make a statement like this without creating a framework for it makes me think that the art of philosophy is dead. You can't posit that morality is impossible under certain conditions unless you develop a framework in which that is the case. Such frameworks exist. Discussing them is interesting and productive. But this article makes no attempt to even enumerate them.

The author is saying that the human condition is a necessary condition for morality. In other words human suffering is a necessary condition for moral behavior. All forms of currently extant human limitation are necessary conditions for morality. (And if the author isn't saying this, how can I know? They don't support their claim or even reference a supporting ideology, so going with an obvious interpretation seems reasonable.)

How can that argument really have merit? If the argument was made in the year 1300, would it have merit? We have surpassed the biological and cultural limitations of the average human living in 1300. Is morality dead? If some elements of the human condition at that time were not necessary requirements for morality, what is the criteria for judging which elements of the human condition ARE necessary for morality?

Beyond all of that, the authors then devolve into making pot-shot arguments against cryonics that reveals the articles intent:

Moving on, we cannot ignore the fact that we might face a great risk of contamination in thawing out the victims of past epidemics: some would, no doubt, have died of diseases that future generations may no longer have natural immunities to.

This may be a legitimate argument when fully developed, but it doesn't seem to have any bearing on the overall discussion of "malchronia." It's a weakly developed attack on the legitimacy of cyronics. It reveals that the intent of the authors is not to actually have a reasonable discussion. Their intent is not to work toward a conclusion, but to ASSUME that conclusion and fill in the blanks with information that seems to get them from A to B.

Christopher Yorke is currently based in the Department of Philosophy at the University of Tokyo as a visiting research student and Ph.D. candidate from the University of Glasgow. Previous areas in which he has published include ethics, cosmopolitanism, and utopianism.

Lois Rowe is a practicing artist and writer currently completing her Master of Fine Arts at the Glasgow School of Art. She has exhibited her work internationally and written extensively on the role of intuition within creative action.

Oh, now it all makes sense. They're students. One is an artist. The other is a phd candidate in philosphy. Neither is a scientist. Most likely, neither is a rationalist. They are average people with an average person's reasoning ability making the kinds of arguments that average people make. They aren't attempting to add any value to the world through a reasonable, detailed analysis of their subject matter. They're just trying to get a good grade.

#4 brandonreinhart

• 67 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 07:50 PM

And that leads me to a response to the thread's title.

These guys aren't overeducated. They aren't educated enough. Until they are able to make an argument without assuming the conclusion, they still have a lot to learn.

I wonder if the educational system in philosophy at the phd level is sufficiently equipped to develop that kind of character? I would think that real philosophers would be frustrated that their ranks are diluted by weak thinkers.

#5 quadclops

• 316 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:11 PM

One might freeze oneself, if not out of sheer desperation or fear of death, then presumably in the hope that one will be greeted by a better world when one is eventually thawed out

This also is not necessarily true. I'm a cryonicist, and although a [airquote] better world [/airquote] would be nice, the world just as it is right now is good enough for me. Any world is better than the Big Dirt Nap!

#6 boundlesslife

• Life Member in cryostasis
  • 206 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:39 AM

This also is not necessarily true.
I'm a cryonicist, and although a  [airquote] better world [/airquote] would be nice, the world just as it is right now is good enough for me.
Any world is better than the Big Dirt Nap!

Yes, the choice is non-obliteration vs. obliteration.

If you're obliterated, the size of your (former) bank account won't do you much good.

boundlesslife

#7 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,154 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

Unnecessary neologisms

I don't think "malchronia" fits that description. While I think it is vastly misplaced if anchored in psychology, it is a useful word to describe a particular view. One that -strangely enough- some futurists share with some Luddites.

I agree with brandonreinhart that the criticism lies elsewhere, namely in the totally flawed analysis which leads to a very flawed conclusion: The desire for cryonics is precisely NOT disaffection with the current time (those afflicted would presumably choose to undergo cryonics in combination with assisted suicide, which as everyone postulates, leads to much better chances of revival) but precisely the opposite: a deep, burning impulse to stay alive even in the face of insurmountable odds.

#8 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 01:42 AM

And that leads me to a response to the thread's title.

These guys aren't overeducated. They aren't educated enough. Until they are able to make an argument without assuming the conclusion, they still have a lot to learn.

I wonder if the educational system in philosophy at the phd level is sufficiently equipped to develop that kind of character? I would think that real philosophers would be frustrated that their ranks are diluted by weak thinkers.

Well said!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users