• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Aging is excluded from WHO work program. Please react!

longevity advocacy who

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ilia

• Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:07 PM

Dear friends,

I wanted to bring to your attention an important and urgent issue for aging care and research.

It turns out that in the forthcoming work program of the World Health Organization (WHO) for the next 5 years – 2018-2023 – the issue of aging and aging-related ill health is excluded completely! This means that, within the next 5 years, according to this document, the World Health Organization is not obliged to do anything to care for the health of older persons or to improve their health, not to mention conduct any research and development to create new therapies and technologies for improving the health of the aged, or any kind of longevity research. The issues of aged health are not in the WHO work program! This is the essence of ageism in health care and health research!

http://www.who.int/a...onsultation/en/

Currently, the WHO conducts a public consultation about the draft Work Program. Please use the link below to participate in the consultation! Please explain to the World Health Organization that the issue of Aging is important, and the care and improvement of health of the aged, also through increasing biomedical R&D of aging, are important! The consultation fields are easy to fill in, and even a couple of sentences, with your affiliation, could help break the ageist wall! The consultation takes place until November 15. Please also spread the word in your circles. Thank you for your action!

In the words of Jane Barratt, Secretary General of the International Federation on Ageing (IFA) that brings this issue to the highlight of global public discussion: “We urge the WHO to rectify the glaring omission of population ageing and older people in the draft 13th General Programme of Work. It is a striking oversight that will diminish its credibility among all of us.  Make your voice heard bit.”

Sincerely,

Ilia Stambler, PhD

On behalf of Vetek (Seniority) Association – the Senior Citizens Movement (Israel)

http://www.longevityisrael.org/

Longevity for All

www.longevityforall.org/

Attached File  WHO 3.jpg   81.79KB   0 downloads

• Informative x 2
  • Agree x 2

#2 sthira

• 2,008 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 12:38 PM

Done. Thank you for the heads up. I hope others here will take the time to comment and help spread the word.

Edited by sthira, 10 November 2017 - 12:39 PM.

#3 YOLF

Posted 10 November 2017 - 03:11 PM

More healthy retirees means more WHO volunteers I would think. They should recognize that they have this interest. There is always more to be done.

• dislike x 1

#4 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

I really don't see the WHO as being a major player in longevity research.  They more or less have their hands full with doing vaccinations in third world countries.  I would suggest your efforts would be better spent by just ignoring them and moving on.

I think the way forward isn't figuring out how to enlist or work with various governments in promoting longevity research, but rather in figuring out ways to work around them.  A successful offshore longevity treatment facility will do more to move things forward in a shorter time frame than lobbying various government agencies for decades.  When people see these treatments producing obvious results for well to do medical tourists, they will clamor to have the regulatory barriers eliminated in their home countries.  I believe this approach is likely to yield better results in a shorter amount of time than attempting to work your way through the normal political process.

Edited by Daniel Cooper, 10 November 2017 - 09:09 PM.

#5 YOLF

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:11 AM

I think the WHO is suppposed to protect everyone, there is plenty that we get wrong here that can be fixed and which would improve worldwide conditions.

#6 Daniel Cooper

• Member, Moderator
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:51 AM

Indeed they are.  But if you're looking to an agency of the UN to advance the fight against aging I think you're fooling yourself.

The UN as a whole hasn't been terribly effective at much of anything.  The WHO is probably one of it's more effective agencies, but it's the best of a bad breed. 

Yes, in an ideal world I agree that the WHO would recognize aging as a disease and promote the need to address it.  But the longevity community has limited attention and resources.  I'm just suggesting that spending much effort here has a low likelihood of yielding results in the best of cases.

By all means, sign the petition.  But understand that as an organization, the UN tends to be in the camp that the planet is already over populated.  It's hard to see that they are going to have much enthusiasm for spending a great deal of resources so wealthy Westerners can live a bit longer.

#7 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:37 AM

Really not such a great and time-consuming effort. Just a few minutes of the activists' time. But the results could be significant, even just to improve the visibility for the field of aging and longevity research.

Below in the link is a statement regarding the omission of the issues of aged health in the forthcoming World Health Organization (WHO) 13th Work Program. The statement is on behalf of Vetek (Seniority) Association – the Senior Citizens Movement (Israel) and Longevity for All. This statement is for the open public consultation that WHO is now conducting for its draft work program (open until Nov. 15).

http://www.longevity...-of-work-gpw13/

The statement is summarized in the title: “Include specific tasks and goals to improve health of the global aging population into the WHO 13th General Programme of Work (GPW13).”

Please make your statement for this important consultation too, individually or on behalf of your organization(s). The responding is easy, and can be of any length, from a thorough analysis to just a statement like “The WHO should care for the health of the aged. Please include the issues of aged health into the WHO work program.”

Please help raise publicity about this far-reaching issue, engage journalists, post! Thanks.

Ilia Stambler

Vetek (Seniority) Association – the Senior Citizens Movement (Israel)

http://www.longevityisrael.org/

Longevity for All

www.longevityforall.org/

#8 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:29 PM

What do I put for the "affiliation" drop down? I would write something but I don't know which to select. :/

#9 ilia

• Topic Starter
  • Guest, Moderator
  • 614 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:33 PM

Type of affiliation: "non-state actor". Affiliation: your place of work / study / activism

• like x 1

#10 Droplet

• Life Member, Advisor Honorary Advisor
  • 6,772 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:20 PM

Type of affiliation: "non-state actor". Affiliation: your place of work / study / activism

Thank you. I have left a comment. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: longevity advocacy, who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users