LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

- - - - -

Caffeine and Verbal Fluency

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

• Lurker

Posted 24 March 2006 - 05:44 AM

As the title suggests I have a question regarding caffeine's effects on verbal fluency. I've found my verbal fluency to be consistenly diminished for a number of hours following a strong cup of coffee, and I was wondering whether this anecdotal evidence was suggestive of a causal relationship?

#2 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:15 AM

Crap, cosmos...

Developmental instability predicts individual variation in verbal memory skill after caffeine ingestion.

Jung RE, Yeo RA, Gangestad SW.

Department of Psychology, and Clinical and Magnetic Resonance Research Center, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87131, USA. rjung@lizard.unm.edu

OBJECTIVE: To determine the mediating effects of developmental instability on individual differences in response to caffeine. BACKGROUND: Individual variation of drug effects might reflect broad genomic factors as well as the direct effects of specific alleles. The current study tested the hypothesis that individual differences in developmental instability, in part determined by genomic characteristics, would predict individual variation in the magnitude of caffeine-induced verbal memory deficits. Minor physical anomalies and fluctuating asymmetry were used as measures of developmental instability. METHOD: One hundred participants were (1) administered one version of the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test; (2) given a dose of caffeine determined by body weight (3 mg/kg); (3) assessed for minor physical anomalies and fluctuating asymmetry; and (4) given an alternate randomized version of the Rey Auditory Verbal Learning Test. RESULTS: Consistent with predictions, a composite measure of developmental instability predicted the magnitude of caffeine-induced memory decrements. CONCLUSIONS: These results may have important implications for the genetic underpinnings of individual differences in drug effects.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....1&dopt=Citation

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:18 AM

Of course, there could be contradictory studies. I queried "caffeine verbal" in Google Scholar for this one in particular. And I could be misinterpreting it too. Time pressure, regardless of anything else, tends to have a negative impact on verbal fluency when caffeine-induced.

#4 simple

• 258 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:25 AM

Specifically at home or anywhere that you may be taking a cup ?

• Lurker

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:31 AM

The source of this problem could in part be derived from temporary memory deficits, but I hesitate to offer that as evidence because it may largely be the product of confirmation bias when presented with this study.

It was my consistently diminished oral verbal fluency while participating in one of my afternoon classes, that led me to create this thread.

• Lurker

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:35 AM

Specifically at home or anywhere that you may be taking a cup ?

On campus, where I buy the same reasonably priced brew and volume of coffee between 11:30am and noon. The class I attend is held at 3:30pm most days of the work week.

#7 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:54 AM

The source of this problem could in part be derived from temporary memory deficits, but I hesitate to offer that as evidence because it may largely be the product of confirmation bias when presented with this study.

Maybe. But what would be the source of the temporary memory deficits?

It was my consistently diminished oral verbal fluency while participating in one of my afternoon classes, that led me to create this thread.

"Verbal" can imply 'oral' though.

#8 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 06:59 AM

Also, by chance have you tried not having the coffee while all else is equal?

• Lurker

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:02 AM

Also, by chance have you tried not having the coffee while all else is equal?

Yes, that's how I was able to discern the difference.

"Verbal" can imply 'oral' though.

I've noticed individuals interpretting it as either oral or written verbal fluency, I sought to avoid this ambiguity before it became a potential issue.

#10 simple

• 258 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:04 AM

Reason for my question, is nowadays ceramic glazes contain several elements which have the potential to leach into food or beverages. Recently, barium salts have been investigated as one of the alternatives to lead in frit formulations for glazes, Barium is a trace element which can apparently affect thyroid function and which may be especially toxic for persons with thyroid disease, especially hyperthyroidism, Barium is also used as rat poison. This works by interfering with the sodium-potassium pump and causing a paralysis of the muscles, including the heart muscles and respiratory muscles, causing death.

Because barium interferes with the sodium-potassium pump, which seems already disturbed in hyperthyroidism, any ingestion of barium may be very toxic to someone with hyperthyroidism (or anyone for that matter).

It would be interesting to find out if any one that goes with the same consumption has related effects as yours.

#11 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:04 AM

All right then, cosmos. I hope some more answers are forthcoming.

• Lurker

Posted 24 March 2006 - 07:17 AM

simple, I drank out of the provided paper cup everytime.

Thank you Nate.

• Lurker

Posted 05 April 2006 - 05:55 AM

*bump*

Maybe. But what would be the source of the temporary memory deficits?

Cumulative sleep deprivation ("sleep debt") may have been the source, or a source.

Since creating this thread, I've had some time to ponder the potential sources of my diminished verbal fluency and I've arrived at a possible explanation. I'm anxious by nature, when placed in certain situations where I must voice my opinion, or expand on something even in private conversation. Not all audiences elicit this response in me, but most do to varying extents. The anxiety appears to lead to increased confusion from which problems including but not limited to diminished verbal fluency stem. The caffeine may only serve to aggravate that anxiety.

I've known of my anxiety for some time, but it has been in the past year or so that it seems to have affected my ability to convey ideas effectively. Whether the topic of conversation has generally become increasingly complex, and/or I've become increasingly ineloquent, remains unclear.

#14 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:17 AM

Yea this is quite interesting, coffee is really a double-edged sword, - at low dosing (1-2 cups a day - or for some, 1/2 cup) I think it has several positive effects (including a taste actually!) but many people habitually wash down *jugs* fighting through the day.
Cosmos you're right on with your experience with coffee.
Experiencing anxiety takes the fun out of everything, including sabotaging ones ability to communicate crystal-clearly with a settled, calm yet very awake mind.

#15 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:06 AM

There aren't too many rational lifeways that can accommodate failure after failure after, perhaps, critical failure, but if you're fortunate enough to find and choose one, cosmos, I think that would be progress in this kind of situation. If that isn't a feasible solution, perhaps more exercise and better nutrition need to be incorporated. If done right, plus getting priorities straight in general (not easy, granted), this should improve your sleeping patterns and general mood. In turn, that reduces the perceived need for caffeine on a regular basis.

I'm just throwing things out there. I can only speculate what's going on.

#16 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:20 AM

There aren't too many rational lifeways that can accommodate failure after failure after, perhaps, critical failure, but if you're fortunate enough to find and choose one, cosmos, I think that would be progress in this kind of situation.

Hmm, that could be interpreted multiple ways, some of them the wrong way as to be offensive. It's not meant to be. To avoid further unsolicited preaching, however, I'll just leave it at that.

#17 guyledouche

• 130 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

After caffeine use, my verbal fluency is greatly increased for a few hours. If you get nervous or get anxiety attacks from caffeine then dont use it anymore. Caffeine decreases my anxiety.

#18 salesman

• 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:04 AM

Shoot I shouldnt have read this thread now that I drank a cup of coffee it totally diminished the effect of my adderall must be in my head who knows?

#19 salesman

• 115 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:05 AM

Anyone know how to find out how to benefit by adderall with out other interactions from food, or ph levels in the stomach? What diminishes the effects? My doctor told me that consumption of fats inhibited absorption of adderall

• Lurker

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:00 AM

There aren't too many rational lifeways that can accommodate failure after failure after, perhaps, critical failure, but if you're fortunate enough to find and choose one, cosmos, I think that would be progress in this kind of situation. If that isn't a feasible solution, perhaps more exercise and better nutrition need to be incorporated. If done right, plus getting priorities straight in general (not easy, granted), this should improve your sleeping patterns and general mood. In turn, that reduces the perceived need for caffeine on a regular basis.

I'm just throwing things out there. I can only speculate what's going on.

Your first sentence seems vague, you appear to have acknowledged this in your follow up post. I'll address the remainder of your post below.

My sleeping schedule has seen significant improvement but remains irregular at times, and my anxiety is not coupled with emotional and/or psychological instability (on the contary). I tend to use caffeine both for increased wakefulness and for what I percieve as decreased mental lethargy, the latter is not necessarily a consequence of inadequate sleep.

I'm making progress in "getting my priorities straight", but that issue is not central to this thread and I'd rather keep the discussion narrowly focused.

Admittedly though, I've neglected taking part in regular physical activity and eating better than a marginally satisfactory diet. It's in my interest to address these problems because they may continue to manifest themselves in unexpected ways.

To avoid further unsolicited preaching, however, I'll just leave it at that.

For the record, in my *bump* post I replied to a previous question you asked that I had left unanswered. I continued the exchange, and I welcome your advice and the advice of knowledgeable Nootropic forum members.

#21 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 04:21 AM

It seems a bit unclear what you're searching for, cosmos. That caffeine can aggravate anxiety, and that anxiety can negatively affect expected behavior, can easily be corroborated. Perhaps you need qualified professionals to help you treat the anxiety. And if not, your ideals probably far exceed your inherent biological capabilities anyway, such that you could go on forever with this belief in having a verbal fluency deficit until the plain and simple truth is that you need radical IA. [tung]

• Lurker

Posted 06 April 2006 - 05:34 AM

It seems a bit unclear what you're searching for, cosmos.

I'm searching for relief from diminished verbal fluency in certain social situations. As I've come to tentatively conclude, the problem apparently compounds itself as caffeine aggravates my anxiety and my anxiety leads to general confusion. Subsequently the focus of the thread may have shifted towards ameliorating the problem rather than solely discerning that caffeine exacerbates it.

I have a few options to explore before seeking professional help, my lifestyle may turn out to be a significant contributing factor. Should those changes fail to produce the desired result within me, I'll pursue professional help.

... your ideals probably far exceed your inherent biological capabilities anyway...

Correct.

... such that you could go on forever with this belief in having a verbal fluency deficit until the plain and simple truth is that you need radical IA.

I was never a fluent public speaker, but sporadically I still demonstrate a level of verbal fluency more consistent with my expectations. Expectations shaped by past performance, and I gather from what you're suggesting, skewed over time to overestimate my capacity in this area.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#23 Kalepha

• 1,140 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:01 PM

I have a few options to explore before seeking professional help, my lifestyle may turn out to be a significant contributing factor. Should those changes fail to produce the desired result within me, I'll pursue professional help.

I'm sure it'll all work out.

I was never a fluent public speaker, but sporadically I still demonstrate a level of verbal fluency more consistent with my expectations.

These expectations, I imagine, aren't supererogatory for the circumstances. You still need to function for the time being.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users