• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Silymarin (Legalon) bioavailability enhancement possible?

silymarin lecithin oil

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 unbreakable

• 313 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

Hi!

My liver values are still relatively high, because of an adverse drug reaction.

At the moment I don't have Siliphos at home, online Legalon (normal silymarin) and lecithin granules

Do you think I can enhance the absorbtion & bioavailability  by pounding / crushing the lecithin granules, opening the Legalon capsules and mixing the silymarin powder with oil + the crushed Lecithin granules? Shall I slightly heat it up?

Thanks!

#2 micro2000

• 61 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 02:42 PM

Get TUDCA and NAC
  • Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 unbreakable

• Topic Starter
  • 313 posts

Posted 19 December 2017 - 10:51 AM

I already take NAC. But until my Siliphos arrives, I'd like to know if I could increase the bioavailability with my method described.

Thanks!

#4 unbreakable

• Topic Starter
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 09:07 AM

@micro2000: Thanks alot for the tip with the TUDCA, I didn't even know that supplement exists. But it seems very useful / interesting.

OK, my question is relatively hard to answer. probably nobody can know without doubt if pulverized lecithin + silymarin powder + some oil, slightly heaten up will increase the bioavailability.

I don't even know, if - when using normal silymarin the pure presence of phosphatidylcholine will increase it's absorbtion, even when combined in oil and.slightly heaten up.

Maybe Siliphos combines Silybinin with PC in a complete different matter at some complex molecular level, I really have no clue.

#5 joelcairo

• 586 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

From the article below, "Silymarin is fat soluble, with an oral bioavailability of 30–50%." This suggests to me that absorption will be better in conjunction with a high fat meal, and worse if not consumed along with fat. Whether there's anything additional to be gained by mixing the silymarin with fat before consuming it, I don't know.

If the 30-50% figure is correct, there's not really that much to be gained by hacking bioavailability, in contrast to certain flavonoids where the absorption is extremely low. You could just take 2 or 3 capsules to achieve a similar effect.

https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC3594650/

#6 unbreakable

• Topic Starter
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 12:05 PM

The very low absorption & bioavailability of silybinin, the main active ingredient in silymarin is the problem. But atm I just take more Legalon and my Siliphos should arrive soon.

So thanks for your answers!

#7 Kinesis

• 262 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2017 - 06:32 AM

It’s not clear why bioavailability is a big issue ... silymarin is cheap; why not just take more?

That said, taking it with a lipid emulsifier like lecithin or phosphatidylcholine seems like a good idea, especially if you have a high quality source, since it may have liver supporting benefits of its own. You could mix them together before taking, but a lot of mixing is going to happen in the digestive process anyway.
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 hav

• 1,089 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 January 2018 - 09:40 PM

Another approach is to mill silymarin with beta-cyclodextrin which can boost solubility by up to 400% using a 1:1 mix.

Howard

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: silymarin, lecithin, oil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users