- - - - -

Cataract prevention

cataract

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nickthird

• 249 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:56 PM

Both my mother and grandmother had cataracts in both eyes in older age. They both lead a healthy lifestyle, eating healthy and maintaining a healthy weight and at least in my grandmothers case, took no medications to cause this problem (my mother had it earlier). My grandmother had no risk factors, and in my moms case it was one medication that reduced estrogen.

It appears very likely that me or a sibling will develop it later in life.

Is there something that I can do now, apart from not having any risk factors (which I don't right now), to prevent the formation of a cataract say 30-50 years down the line?

#2 RWhigham

• 509 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 January 2018 - 04:42 AM

Daily supplementation with pantethine may prevent cataracts. I take 300mg 3x/day.

Self-assembly of protein aggregates in ageing disorders: the lens and cataract model 

Pantethine was known to be safe, with low toxicity in animals and humans, and the effect of pantethine on lens opacification was tested in a number of diverse animal models for cataract. The effects of pantethine were remarkable against several models for lens opacification even though the biological mechanisms of the different animal models for cataract were thought to be quite different .

Pantethine consists of pantoic acid, beta-alanine and cysteamine, endogenous biochemical metabolites, having individual activity as PSI [20]. When used separately or in mixtures, their collective effects were less than the effect of the parent molecule, pantethine, in vivo or in vitro. This finding was a good example of a reagent, pantethine, whose total bioactivity was greater than the sum of the activity of the individual components. In other words, the separate components in pantethine were effective, but the effectiveness of the components was optimized when combined into a molecule of pantethine

Edited by RWhigham, 25 January 2018 - 04:43 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ryukenden

• 232 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2018 - 08:41 AM

I take Astaxanthin for a number of reasons.

https://swansonhealt...sues/cataracts/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#4 albedo

• 2,068 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 January 2018 - 09:28 AM

Check also on other threads on LC, e.g. here: http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=740632

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cataract

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users