Acetyl L Carnitine help?

depression noradrenaline acetyl l carnitine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James88

• 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

So I started taking acetyl l carnitine, my latest research on my depression has lead me to believe it may be issues with noradrenaline (or lack there of.) I really don’t want to go down the medication root, and anything that impacts dopamine as well makes me feel bad.

I read that acetyl l carnitine can directly increase noradrenaline so I gave it a try, with positive results!!! I felt great for a week, motivated, clear headed, confident and alert. But after that I had a new sort of depression begin to sink in, to the point I was just brain fogged, numb and very low in mood. Stopping the acetyl l carnitine has lifted it somewhat, but I’m still not out of the woods, and taking it again brings on that exact same feeling immediately. Anybody got any theories on why this happened?

#2 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

Carnitine tends to cause, not alleviate, depression.

• Agree x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Nate-2004

• 2,375 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2018 - 04:12 PM

There's some evidence referenced in the linked video that carnitine feeds some less desirable bacteria in the microbiome called TMAO.

See my Guide to Conquering Depression for help. I plan to focus strongly on hashing out and adding citations to the nutrition section as nutrition, sleep quality and exercise have a major impact on the problem of depression. If these areas are not addressed first there is no point in adding any pills, pharmaceutical or otherwise.

• Informative x 1

#4 James88

• Topic Starter
  • 36 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 March 2018 - 09:24 PM

Just read a piece about acetyl l carnitine raising acetylcholine, could that also be something to do with the worsening of depression?
  • Agree x 1

#5 Believer

• 437 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 12:44 AM

Yes, and the worsening of fatigue as well.

What works for depression in my opinion is amino acid depletion through water fasting, and raising thyroid hormones.

Raising thyroid hormones, unlike sex hormones, is easy with supplements.

#6 Elusive

• 103 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 01:57 AM

I have taken ALC on and off for the last 22 years. When I took it first, I had no idea what it will do for me nor I had any expectations.

At that time things were simple and my regimen was a GNC Mega Men, Fish Oil, Ginkgo and Vinpocetine. When I added ALC, it felt great for 10 days and then it shifted into bland/flatline kind of a feeling so I stopped. Then after 2 month or so I started on it again, felt great for week and then... bland/flatline!

I started researching as to what the hell was going wrong with this otherwise great supplement? After a few months of extensive research I designed a different protocol for this amazing and misunderstood nutrient. Instead of taking 500 mg on empty stomach in the morning before breakfast, I started it at around 40 or 50 mg, after my breakfast, with the Multivitamin, Ginkgo, Vinpocetine and Vit C.

Since that day ALC has given me all the great effects consistently, without any downside.

Since last 15 years, I have dropped Ginkgo permanently and added (and rotated) a lot of different supplements (for example Resveratrol, NMN, A-GPC, Bacopa) but ALC still gives me great energy and clarity, consistently. NMN, Resveratrol and Bacopa didn't work for me in the long run so they are gone.

Currently, I also take Magnesium Malate and Methyl cobalamin B-12 when I feel the need (2 or 3 times a week).

If you don't respect ALC and abuse it, it will get upset and slap back. If you give it respect, it will reward you at so many levels. 

Overtime I have learned to respect my supplements and take dosages that work for me long term. Most of those work tremendously well because I take minimum effective doses.

ALC has effect on Lipids, Mitochondria, Sertuins, Nerves, Brain Metabolism and Detoxification. That has a LOT of systemic impact!!!

Edited by Elusive, 06 July 2022 - 02:04 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 elixir of fortitude

• 11 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 September 2022 - 01:22 PM

ALC has effect on Lipids, Mitochondria, Sertuins, Nerves, Brain Metabolism and Detoxification. That has a LOT of systemic impact!!!

What is your dose for ALC? 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depression, noradrenaline, acetyl l carnitine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users