- - - - -

Dopamine deficiency

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#31 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 01:04 AM

I really don't take any stock in this self-survey neurotransmitter stuff; I just think there are probably many different types of "imbalances" or other organic brain problems, as well as potentially other medical and environmental factors, that can cause these symptoms.
Equally obnoxious is that these surveys are blind towards receptor subtypes, all of which do very different things in the brain, as well as its bias towards amine neurotransmitters, while there are other neurotransmitters that appear to have more selective pathways.
Finally, this type of hypothesis doesn't explain the "lag" between when an antidepressant raises neurotransmitters and when it achieves therapeutic value. There are studies indicating, for instance, that patients' (lab measure) serotonin levels had nothing to do with the therapeutic value of SSRI's.
My orthomolecular psychiatrist had me get labs for catecholamine levels in the serum, and I really told him that I won't take stock of those numbers until they check my cerebrospinal fluid; besides, the labs are designed to check for excesses only, not deficiencies. They were designed to screen for pheochomocytoma (adrenal tumor). There really isn't enough science to these surveys, and I resent the notion that you can attribute symptoms like these to simply a "deficiency". Notably, why are extrapyramidal symptoms and Parkinsonian traits not on the list? What about elevated prolactin? Curiously, I have myoclonic jerks in my sleep, I have most of the psychiatric symptoms above (but not the physical ones, even though by all rights I should be anemic), and I also have elevated prolactin.
There are better ways of detecting which neurotransmitter receptor ligands/potentiators will have the most therapeutic value, and this is by the empirical evidence regarding which population subtypes respond to such agents.
I'll present the matter somewhat more articulately in a scholarly book I got called "Clinical Advances in MAOI Therapy"

The available data today suggest a revised version of the monoamine hypotheses: Depression is caused by imbalances in the activity of different neuronal systems, of which the cause is unknown. Thes imbalances can be favorably influenced in an indirect manner by activation of monoaminergic systems. This formulation assumes that changes in receptor sensitivity after antidepressant treatment reflect primarily a reaction to continuously changing transmitter concentrations in the synapse and do not bear a direct significance on the therapeutic effect. Also, it assumes that activation of monoaminergic systems by whichever mechanism represents one of several ways to acheive an antidepressant effect. It permits an understanding of the latency of onset of action because it is assumed that the therapeutic effect is not mediated directly by activation of monoaminergic systems, but rather that this causes cascade-like alterations in the activities of several other transmitter systems, which themselves subsequently evoke adaptational processes, until a new, more favorable state of equilibrium is established. It is thus easy to understand that some time is needed to reach a new stable state.

#32 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Catuaba is an amazonian plant that seems to boost dopamine and serotonin. It's marketed as an anti-depressant and libido booster (probably through a dopamine pathway)

Antidepressant-like effects of Trichilia catigua (Catuaba) extract: evidence for dopaminergic-mediated mechanisms.Campos MM, Fernandes ES, Ferreira J, Santos AR, Calixto JB.
Department of Pharmacology, Center of Biological Sciences, Universidade Federal de Santa Catarina, Campus Universitário, 88049-900 Florianópolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil.

RATIONALE: Currently available therapy for depression treatment is often associated with several undesirable side effects, and it is effective only in a certain portion of the population. Therefore, the identification of alternative therapeutic tools for the treatment of depression is still needed. OBJECTIVE: The present study analyzed the possible antidepressant-like effects of the Brazilian medicinal plant, Trichilia catigua, in rodents. Attempts were also made to investigate some of the possible mechanisms implicated in its actions. METHODS: The antidepressant-like effects of T. catigua extract were assessed in two species of rodents (mice and rats) by means of in vivo (forced swimming test) and in vitro (monoamine reuptake and release in synaptosomal preparations) approaches. RESULTS: Acute oral treatment with the extract of T. catigua produced antidepressant-like effects in the forced swimming model in both mice and rats. Anti-immobility actions of T. catigua extract in mice were significantly reversed by haloperidol or by chlorpromazine, but not by pimozide, ketanserin, spiroxatrine or p-chlorophenylalanine. In vitro, T. catigua extract concentration-dependently inhibited the uptake and increased the release of serotonin, and especially of dopamine, from rat brain synaptosomal preparations. CONCLUSIONS: The present study provides convincing evidence for a dopamine-mediated antidepressant-like effect of the active principle(s) present in the hydroalcoholic extract of T. catigua in mice and rats when in vivo and in vitro strategies were employed. Therefore, a standardized T. catigua extract or its purified constituents could be of potential interest for the treatment of depressive disorders.

Effects of Catuaba extracts on microbial and HIV infection.Manabe H, Sakagami H, Ishizone H, Kusano H, Fujimaki M, Wada C, Komatsu N, Nakashima H, Murakami T, Yamamoto N.
Horiuchi Itaro & Co., Ltd., Tokyo, Japan.

Pretreatment of mice with hot water and alkaline extracts of Catuaba casca (Erythroxylum catuaba Arr. Cam.) effectively protected them from lethal infection of Escherichia coli and Staphylococcus aureus. The extracts significantly inhibited both the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-induced cytopathic effect and the expression of HIV antigen in HIV-1HTLV-IIIB or HIV-2ROD infected human lymphotropic virus type I (HTLV-1) positive MT-4 cells. The 50% effective concentrations of the active fractions (21-263 micrograms/ml) were 1/4 - 1/43 of their 50% cytotoxic concentrations. Their anti-HIV activity was shown to be induced, at least in part, via the inhibition of HIV adsorption to the cells. The data suggest a medicinal potential of Catuaba extracts against opportunistic infection in HIV patients.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 07:36 PM

I found a cheap source for it, I might check it out. Only $20 for a pound. I have an Aeropress that I could use to make hot water infusions (tea).

http://www.rain-tree...uaba-powder.htm

#34 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:11 AM

I found a cheap source for it, I might check it out. Only $20 for a pound. I have an Aeropress that I could use to make hot water infusions (tea).

http://www.rain-tree...uaba-powder.htm

There's this whole untapped potential with amazonian herbs. They deserve a closer look ;)

#35 spydermanj3

• 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Hello!

I stumbled across this thread today in search of more information about dopamine and the 3 other neurochemicals that define how I feel each day. Its very interesting and I want to learn more about it. I took the test that was posted here and I'm a bit confused by the results - perhaps someone can weigh in on this and assist me.

At the end of the 1-4 (B) section it tells you to sum up the results from 1-4 (A) section. Here were my results on both. I would appreciate some help in understanding what this means.

1a - 19
2a - 28
3a - 21
4a - 27

1b - 24
2b - 20
3b - 23
4b - 22

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#36 alpha2000

• 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:35 AM

spydermanj3 -- I stumbled onto this site today, about 2 1/2 years after your post ... I see your post has not been answered, so I hope you have not been holding your breath ...For reference sake, I'm posting even though I'm new to this subject ... let me state that for the more urgent of the items you show, the "b" or "deficiency" list, the Braverman assessment states: " If you have 15 or more true statements in any one category, you need to get help immediately."

So it would appear you need to be getting some supplementation of all four substances right away; either via some holistic doctor in your local area, of some efforts on your own to get them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users