• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Does Melatonin improve the quality of your sleep?

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

Poll: Does Melatonin improve the quality of your sleep (258 member(s) have cast votes)

Does Melatonin improve the quality of your sleep

1. Yes (116 votes [44.11%])

Percentage of vote: 44.11%

2. No (56 votes [21.29%])

Percentage of vote: 21.29%

3. Yes, but inconsistently (65 votes [24.71%])

Percentage of vote: 24.71%

4. I haven't taken it, but I still want to chime in, so thanks for including this particular poll-choice! (26 votes [9.89%])

Percentage of vote: 9.89%

Is melatonin worth the Ciz-ash it Ciz-osts?

1. Yes (154 votes [54.61%])

Percentage of vote: 54.61%

2. No (31 votes [10.99%])

Percentage of vote: 10.99%

3. Enough with the Hip-hop colloquialisms already... sheesh! (51 votes [18.09%])

Percentage of vote: 18.09%

4. I'm Mr. T! Got a problem with that, FOOL?!?!?! (46 votes [16.31%])

Percentage of vote: 16.31%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 leonine77

• 17 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hi guys,
the topic title is very descriptive...

What are your expieriences with Melatonin?
If you've taken it, did it improve the quality of your sleep, or did it just knock you out and leave you with a hang-over feeling the next morning.

I ask because the quality of my sleep has always been utter crap.

Some nights I sleep 9+ hours, only to awaken and feel as if I'd been on a drinking binge the night before.

Some nights I've slept only 5 hours, and woken up feeling fully refreshed and ready to kick ass and take names...

Sadly, there isn't much consistency.... Due to various injuries, I'm currently unable to really get quality sleep at night because I can't excercise. Plus, my mind races, so I'm sometimes not able to fall asleep, even though I'm physically exhausted.
Many years ago, I used to take Ambien, temazepam, etc... and while it nkocked me out, I'd wake up at 5am with nothing but a headache....

Thanks guys, and I look forward to your votes and responses!

Edited by leonine77, 28 March 2008 - 06:23 PM.

#2 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 28 March 2008 - 08:33 PM

@500mcg/day it makes me tired and fall asleep quickly. I don't notice much difference once i'm asleep, but i sleep like a rock. no hangover.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'm currently taking this herbal sleep aid, which contains;

skull cap
gaba
melatonin (4 mg per serving (two capsules) )
valerian
chamomile
b6
and a couple other ingredients...

and it really helps me regulate sleep... not to mention dreaming becomes much more lucid. Just the other day i fell asleep at 11:30 pm upon taking it (half a serving) at around 9 (along with some serotonin promoting foods)... and this is when i had regulated sleep patterns at 5:30 am. So it's pretty good for a sleep aid and helps if you're trying for some lucid dreaming as well... as far as quality of sleep, every time i have taken melatonin (be it alone or as part of a sleep formula) it has always required a higher amount of sleep (~9 hours) but has enabled me to go to sleep earlier, but the quality always goes up based on the requirement of sleep being met.

#4 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:09 PM

For sleep quality I take 5-HTP as needed, but since joining ImmInst I've started melatonin 500mcg-1mg time-released taken every night. IME it does not enhance the quality of sleep (if I'm already taking 5-HTP), but it does help me get to sleep faster, and, well, it seems to be a potent antioxidant in its own right, oral dose.

EDIT: experimented with 3 milligram dose/night for 2 weeks, and, boy, I was almost passing out 8PM on 2nd sunday. Too much for me, although I take a higher dose occasionally.

Edited by kenj, 01 April 2008 - 06:18 PM.

• Lurker

Posted 01 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

Yes, it made my sleep-wake cycle more regular. After using it for some time I think I was more likely to get tired at the same time every night even if I forgot to take it until sometime later than normal.

I also noticed that I couldn't sleep late on sunny days. It seemed to make me more sensitive to sunlight which wasn't a problem before if I was tired.

#6 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 07:28 PM

I take 1 milligram and (anecdotally/subjectively) it seems to help me get to sleep and sleep more soundly for about 3 hours or so, then I have restless sleep the rest of the night. I am thinking about trying the time release version to see if the effects last longer.

As far as cost goes, it is one of the cheapest supps out there.

#7 leonine77

• Topic Starter
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info/expieriences guys

#8 stephen_b

• 1,735 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 09:11 PM

I have no trouble falling asleep anyway, but do sleep more soundly with vivid dreams when I take it. I take it more for its antioxidant effect and its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier than as a sleep aid.

I'm considering whether I still need it now that I take 500 to 1000 mg of l-tryptophan at night now.

Stephen

#9 biknut

• 1,892 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 04:06 PM

I say yes. I think I can judge a little better being 54. The quality of my sleep was dropping off for the last few years. I noticed an improvement right away. Also it even seems to last for days even if I stop supplementing. I take 3 mg.

It's well worth the money, but it may not help young people as much as older people.

#10 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 14 July 2008 - 05:38 PM

Since this thread has been resurrected I thought I'd chime in. I had terrible terrible sleep issues for years and was on and off prescription sleep aids. Eventually I found that taking 3mg of melatonin works well enough for me and doesn't come with the side effects I was getting from ambien. I've been taking it most every night for the last 6 years or so and it works great. For the last several months I've also added ZMA every night and that, I think, improved the QUALITY of my sleep significantly. I've also been adding GABA in lately and when I take those three together I could fall asleep at 6pm if I wanted to. Its fantastic. And like Mind mentioned earlier Melatonin is dirt cheap, plus its good for you. So its a winner in my book.
  • dislike x 1

#11 ikaros

• 334 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:15 AM

Not really. I only use it for sleep rythm correction in times when I've abused it. I've been advised against using it on a daily basis and it kind of makes sense too. But if I were old, like over 50 I'd take it up daily. Being 22 I think I'm producing more than I need already.

#12 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 15 July 2008 - 01:36 PM

I take 1 milligram and (anecdotally/subjectively) it seems to help me get to sleep and sleep more soundly for about 3 hours or so, then I have restless sleep the rest of the night. I am thinking about trying the time release version to see if the effects last longer.

As far as cost goes, it is one of the cheapest supps out there.

This is exactly the effect it seems to be having on me as well. I started taking it right before bed, almost as soon as I lie down. This has improved this somewhat but I still feel as if I am waking up too early.

#13 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:58 AM

Since this thread has been resurrected I thought I'd chime in. I had terrible terrible sleep issues for years and was on and off prescription sleep aids. Eventually I found that taking 3mg of melatonin works well enough for me and doesn't come with the side effects I was getting from ambien. I've been taking it most every night for the last 6 years or so and it works great. For the last several months I've also added ZMA every night and that, I think, improved the QUALITY of my sleep significantly. I've also been adding GABA in lately and when I take those three together I could fall asleep at 6pm if I wanted to. Its fantastic. And like Mind mentioned earlier Melatonin is dirt cheap, plus its good for you. So its a winner in my book.

What's ZMA? I second the GABA. I have also added it and I do think it improves the quality of my sleep. It does not really help me get to sleep any faster though...who knows, maybe it is placebo. I usually sleep constantly through the night. Melatonin might have helped me get to sleep faster or would be useful if I need to kill the effects of caffeine. However, as I recall, it made me feel a bit groggy in the morning. I might add it at a lower dose later.

#14 LIB

• 232 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 12:47 AM

The regular melatonin is hit or miss for me and sleep. But Jarrow time released works very well for me.

#15 bgwithadd

• 820 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Definitely worth it. The human body just doesn't make enough in modern society, just don't take too much or it will make you restless, and make sure to get something high quality.

#16 mystery

• 117 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 05:59 AM

What are your expieriences with Melatonin?
If you've taken it, did it improve the quality of your sleep, or did it just knock you out and leave you with a hang-over feeling the next morning.

I ask because the quality of my sleep has always been utter crap.

Some nights I sleep 9+ hours, only to awaken and feel as if I'd been on a drinking binge the night before.

Some nights I've slept only 5 hours, and woken up feeling fully refreshed and ready to kick ass and take names...

Sadly, there isn't much consistency.... Due to various injuries, I'm currently unable to really get quality sleep at night because I can't excercise. Plus, my mind races, so I'm sometimes not able to fall asleep, even though I'm physically exhausted.
Many years ago, I used to take Ambien, temazepam, etc... and while it nkocked me out, I'd wake up at 5am with nothing but a headache....

Thanks guys, and I look forward to your votes and responses!

It sort of knocked me out sometimes. Other times, it just made me really tired, and just want to lay down, but I didn't go to sleep. I could mostly benefit from a moderate dose, but not too much. It usually left me with a hang-over the whole next day. I get a similar hang-over experience from valerian, though not from chamomile. You might give chamomile a try, especially using good quality dried plant material in a tea or infusion because this will also help to relax.

I highly suggest getting some mental exercise before bed, that is not to strenuous. Like, read a technical book, but don't try too hard to understand it. You could also read for pleasure.

Something I do that has given me amazing results in getting to sleep:

Think of a letter, and then try and recall all of the words in a subcategory. Like, for T, then subcategory food, try and think of every food that begins with T. After about 5-15 minutes of doing this, my brain is tired enough to shut down. Another thing I do is go back in memory and try and retrieve some hard to recall memories. Like the name of all of your classmates in first grade or something. Anything that can be a mental workout, but don't try too hard, just relax, and you'll be tired in no time. This is great for destracting your brain from whatever it is obscessing about too.

Also, put some earplugs in if you are easily agitated by noise. It may be unconfortable, but once you get used to them, then they can work great.

Edited by mystery, 22 August 2008 - 06:01 AM.

#17 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:07 AM

I've tried Melatonin on and off over the years, revisiting it from time to time...

The only thing it does to me is disturb my sleep and prevent a good nights rest. Definitely a reverse effect on me then most.
  • Agree x 1

#18 Moonbeam

• 174 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

I use something called Knock-Out (Schiff brand): 3 mg melatonin, 100 mg valerian, 50 mg theanine, 100 mg GABA. It works really well for me. Theanine by itself can work too, especially if you wake up later in the night and want to get back to sleep but don't want to be tired in the morning.

The melatonin and valerian inhibit REM sleep, causing nice re-bound for dreaming later. The theanine does not affect REM, so that's another reason it's good to take later in the night, if you need it. I'm not sure if there is enough GABA to do anything.

#19 jackinbox

• 452 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

time-release melatonin tablets do improve my sleep but not the instant-relase one.

#20 graatch

• 390 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:13 PM

The only thing it does to me is disturb my sleep and prevent a good nights rest. Definitely a reverse effect on me then most.

I actually have similar experiences.

Short of helping me with sleep induction, which it does, a bit, and sleeping with melatonin is better than not sleeping ... melatonin absolutely ruins my sleep quality. Anything above 1mg, seriously, and I have ridiculously intense dreams the entire night, can sleep for up to 14 hours, and still wake up sweat-drenched, and I'm exhausted and depressed for the whole day.

I don't know why this happens, but it's happened so many times I have no suspicions that it's anything other than the melatonin doing it.

Lower doses might mess up my sleep too.

It works for others, but I avoid the stuff unless I absolutely need it, or occasionally for rhythm correction, and then only microdoses.

#21 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 04:57 PM

Same here - tried it like 16 years ago - it just disturbed my sleep!

Cheers

Alex

I've tried Melatonin on and off over the years, revisiting it from time to time...

#22 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 05:06 PM

There are other people who have experienced the same.
See below:

"Melatonin induces Sleep Paralysis
Message posted by Eric () on 13:5:36 5/30/2001

Someone posted a question on this board on how to induce sleep paralysis. I answered his/her question by stating that I believed that Melatonin may induce SP. I stated that, in the past, I had SP episodes after taking Melatonin. Well, I decided to try it again -- and sure enough, I had an SP episode. (I don't have SP episodes that frequenty anymore, perhaps once every four months.) Well, this afternoon, I took two more capsules of Melatonin (6 mg), and SP occured *again* while I attempted to take a quick cat nap on a break. Has anyone done some serious resource on the link between Melatonin and SP? Perhaps, it is just a psychological predisposition that is linking the Melatonin with my SP episodes recently, but I feel as it could definetly be a chemical/physical link. Thanks. "
Source:http://www.sleephomepages.org/discussions/basic/messages/msgs10052.html

Cheers

Alex

Same here - tried it like 16 years ago - it just disturbed my sleep!

Cheers

Alex

#23 mpe

• Guest, F@H
  • 275 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:41 AM

I've been reading these forums for the past 3 years and only today decided to register and participate.
Once the registration was complete and I was logged on, I saw this new topic and knew I had to post.

I'm a 52 year old Australian Newsagent (18 years), my work hours are between 1.30 or 2.30 am to 9.30 am and 2.30pm to 6.00 pm, 364 days a year.

As you can see from my work hours I have a very poor sleep routine, 2 blocks of 3 to 4 hours per day. The sleep pattern wasnt a problem once I adjusted to it, but in the
last 12 months things have changed. I can now go to bed feeling exhausted but only get 2 or less hours of sleep per day, the health effects are terrible.

I've been considering Melatonin for some time, but I cant risk protracted drowsiness on waking or hangover like symptoms for that matter.
Also I've been told that I cant buy Melatonin in Australia.

I'll happily accept any advise on the topic anyone might care to give (except selling the business)

#24 brotherx

• 313 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 09:25 AM

Hi Mike,

happy welcome!
I can only barley imagine how you feel with such a sleep routine!
Unfortunetely there is no shortcut.If people only get so few sleep as you describe - their bodies and minds usually suffers from it.
The body switches to emergency mode and the hormonal system gets unbalanced.And on the longer run - people get ill due to the imbalance(I would refer some studies - but I am currently on a business trip and I write this from my mobile).

My personal opinion is that neither Melatonin nor Modafinil can or will help you.
Imagine you would own a 1 million racing horse. Would you allow that this horse gets neither rest nor the food and quality of life it needs to perform?If it would be dead tired due to massive work - would you try to quick fix with hormonal sleeping aids or stimulants?
No - you wouldn't because you know that if you would burn that candle on both ends - your 1 million racing horse would be worth nothing soon.
You would know what to do with the horse - but you don't accept that the same laws also effect you.
But no matter if you believe in the laws (for example that you need round about 6.5 - 8 hours sleep per night) the laws are effective (bad concentration,inflammation,skin irritation, anxiety, concentration issues...heart issues...).
So my advice is - get a regular sleep pattern.Try to delegate some of your work - hire a student - who could support you with your work.
If you don't listen to the warning signs - you might spend the rest of your time and money trying to recover from your serious health issues.
In my job - I have seen this more than once.You can't cheat the laws that govern this universe.If you jump off the top of a building - you face the consequences.

Happy welcome again!

Alex

I've been reading these forums for the past 3 years and only today decided to register and participate.
Once the registration was complete and I was logged on, I saw this new topic and knew I had to post.

I'm a 52 year old Australian Newsagent (18 years), my work hours are between 1.30 or 2.30 am to 9.30 am and 2.30pm to 6.00 pm, 364 days a year.

As you can see from my work hours I have a very poor sleep routine, 2 blocks of 3 to 4 hours per day. The sleep pattern wasnt a problem once I adjusted to it, but in the
last 12 months things have changed. I can now go to bed feeling exhausted but only get 2 or less hours of sleep per day, the health effects are terrible.

I've been considering Melatonin for some time, but I cant risk protracted drowsiness on waking or hangover like symptoms for that matter.

I'll happily accept any advise on the topic anyone might care to give (except selling the business)

Edited by brotherx, 22 October 2008 - 09:33 AM.

#25 Advanc3d

• 283 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

whats the deal with "do not take melatonin straight for more than 2 weeks"

#26 Conanld

• 40 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

I have a love hate relationship with melatonin.

It can allow me to get to sleep when I might otherwise not be able to do so, but then about 2 or 3 hours later I will inevitably wake up and have to re-dose a couple more times in order to get through the night.

The dose that will allow me to fall asleep is also the same dose that will cause me to awaken 2 to 3 hours later on. I have not been able to find that perfect dose that will both put me to sleep and allow me to remain asleep for the duration of the evening.

It seems that the quality of sleep inevitably declines with increasing age. I am not looking forward to the next couple of decades, at least from a sleep pattern perspective. By the way, Phenibut works very well for me, but unfortunately, tolerance builds quickly with usage, so it can only offer me occasional relief.

LD

#27 Benedictus

• 60 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

Try to consume about 4 or 5 'fresh' actual wallnuts about an hour before you would like to fall asleep.
Wallnut is the best natural source of melatonin.

And yes, for me it works wonders. Melatonine, even in really low doses, causes me to sleep much deeper than usual. If you take pills with melatonine in it, try to avoid those containing lactose.

Edited by Benedictus, 23 October 2008 - 02:45 PM.

#28 the_colossus

• 61 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 09:30 PM

I tried Melatonin, felt groggy in the morning. Than I tried 5 htp and it works better.

#29 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:44 PM

Hello & welcome to the boards! :)

Honestly, it wouldn't hurt just to give Melatonin a shot just once and see how you react.

My GF (who is 26 years old) has an extremely odd work schedule that changes from week to week. One week she will work grave yard, then shift back to days the next week. She can never settle into a schedule and let her body adjust.

It was taking a toll on her until I recommended she try some melatonin. (time released capsules from LEF is what she takes)

In short, this changed everything for her. She slept better, deeper and felt less depressed on subsequent work days. After a week or two her work related somnolence, for the most part disappeared.

Obviously for me, it does the complete opposite, but for so it is a heaven sent and really doesn't hurt to try it a few nights and see how you react.

Also, melatonin production sharply declines with age, which is why I revisit it from time to time. So it is my understanding, the older you are, the more likely you have a shortage of Melatonin production. (Melatonin also has many other health benefits besides sleep)

(good read here if you're interested: http://www.benbest.c.../melatonin.html)

So give it a go. If it doesn't give you the effect you desire or has negative one, the side effects will quickly subside after a few hours the next day... no harm no fowl.

As for acquiring Melatonin in Australia, LEF.org does have a contact in which you can purchase their melatonin from.

Here is the info:

http://www.lef.org/V...ormation.htm#oz
Australian and New Zealand Orders

Due to Australian customs restrictions, DHEA cannot be imported into Australia.

LEF USA does not handle orders for Australia or New Zealand. All orders for Australia or New Zealand will be shipped from Fiji only.

Due to the problems we experienced with customs, Life Extension ships only via Fiji to these countries where local understanding of the various regulations has minimized these problems. The only exceptions are new memberships, renewals and books.

Life Extension Pacific Contact Information
Life Extension Pacific, Limited
Hans Vandreven
PO Box 1036 Sigatoka, Fiji
Phone - 0011-679-6520546
Fax - 0011-679-6520547

Here's a list of the Melatonin they provide:

http://search.lef.or...QUERY=Melatonin

Good luck!

Edited by chrono, 08 October 2010 - 08:07 PM.
fixed link

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 jCole

• 211 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Another excellent article from LEF just a couple months ago on Melatonin.

http://www.lef.org/m...elatonin_01.htm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users