48 replies to this topic

#1 Leo

• 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 04:10 PM

http://www.knoxnews....ives-you-zings/

Neuro Fuel, mood-enhancing drink, gives you zings

Drink developed by UT grads takes off
Thursday, June 5, 2008

Who says you can't sell happiness in a can?

Riding the wave of the energy drink craze, University of Tennessee graduates Waylon Howell and Joe Elmore have created a patent-pending beverage that they say promotes "a happy feeling" in those who gulp it down.

Packaged in a skinny 12-ounce can, Neuro Fuel is sold in more than 1,000 stores next to such energy drinks as Red Bull and Rockstar, though the young entrepreneurs insist that their mood-enhancing formula is different.

"We've created a whole new beverage category," said Howell, 26, who attended Halls High School. "While it provides the same boost as an energy drink, it has vitamins and doesn't give you the jitters."

The beverage contains the active ingredient piracetam, a dietary supplement used to improve cognitive functions, as well as 100 percent of the daily value for seven vitamins and minerals.

Elmore, 25, who attended Farragut High School and always had an interest in supplements, came up with the formula about four years ago in a powder form.

"I just researched it online and started experimenting. It didn't taste good, but the effects were so good, it was worth it," he said.

Last March, the pair decided to turn their interest into a business: Utopian Enterprises LLC. During the summer, they secured financing through investors - mostly family members - and by mid-November had a quarter million cans ready to sell.

Neuro Fuel is now sold in more than 1,000 stores from Grand Rapids, Mich., to Key West, Fla. Just last week, the drink began selling at 30 Walgreens stores in East Tennessee and soon will hit shelves at some Wal-Mart stores.

While the two have been able to move fast, Howell said they had to overcome numerous obstacles.

One issue was taste.

The two spent an entire day at a lab tasting more than 100 different concoctions until they agreed on a sweet, citrus flavor.

"There were a few different ways we could have gone and some that we may go with in the future," Elmore said.

Both figured the process would have been "more of a battle," but Elmore said, "We've been blessed with a lot of hometown help."

"We knew from the very beginning we had something special," Elmore said. "We have a good product. It's not just marketing and blowing smoke."

So what is Howell and Elmore's long-term goal?

World happiness, of course.

#2 medievil

• Guest Guest
  • 3,758 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:04 PM

great! i was thinking in the past they should make energy drinks with a lot of nootropics

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Leo

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:24 PM

I just checked their web site, they say this in their press release:

Fueled by the active ingredient, piracetam, a dietary supplement used to improve cognitive functions, Neuro Fuel has successfully taken the beverage industry to a whole new level creating the category of "mood enhancement".

"Though it's commonly prescribed in Europe for a variety of conditions, piracetam has up until now been pretty much ignored in the United States," said Waylon. "By incorporating the supplement into our product, we've created a beverage that not only promotes increased awareness, energy level, intelligence and motivation, but we've also opened the doors to a whole list of health benefits."

The 12-fluid ounce beverage contains 750 milligrams of piracetam and 100 percent of the daily value for seven vitamins and minerals. With more than 700 clinical and university studies supporting the positive benefits of piracetam, the patent pending compound makes the drink well positioned to lessen the effects of aging while also supporting increased functions such as energy, alertness, concentration and memory.

"Neuro Fuel is a unique addition to the beverage industry because it capitalizes on a super ingredient that European research studies have shown not only supports healthy brain functioning but also may help fight a number of cognitive disorders," said Joe Elmore, founding partner for Neuro Fuel. "Piracetam increases blood flow and oxygen to the brain, which may help aid stroke recovery, as well as improve other disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, dementia, dyslexia and autism."

http://www.drinkneurofuel.com/news.pdf

#4 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 05:35 PM

Wow - piracetam the miracle drug! Ok, they of course are going to market the heck out of Neuro Fuel and trumpet the supposed benefits. I would like to know from all the nootrope experts here at Imminst what they think of this drink and the piracetam dosage. Myself, I could probably do without the 100% RDA of seven vitamins and minerals, that just seems like overkill and unnecessary. They could make it cheaper and it would still be a mood enhancer with lesser amounts of vitamins and minerals.

I was wondering when more nootropes would start showing up in energy drinks. A couple years back I noticed vinpocetine in Redline and I figured it was only a matter of time before piracetam showed up.

#5 Spiral Architect

• 79 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:16 PM

What, no Choline?

#6 spacey

• 241 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

Now let's see Carphedon in the next version of Neuro Fuel! =)

#7 mentatpsi

• 904 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 06:59 PM

interesting take mind, I think it's mostly to promote sells. Overkill sells and allows for higher profit.

I'll be looking out for this drink :)

Edited by mysticpsi, 18 June 2008 - 07:00 PM.

#8 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:27 PM

Seems their "mood enhancement formula" might give a lil' pep, although I could do without the 100 calories and 21G sugar per can.

>>> While it provides the same boost as an energy drink, it has vitamins and doesn't give you the jitters <<<

Hm, I really don't think the vitamins are of any use in this context.

#9 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:14 PM

"improve other disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, dementia, dyslexia and autism."

yikes, what are they thinking. They are in way over their head.

I think this will ruffle the feathers of the feds and they will take this down and potentially all other piracetam on the market.

#10 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

"improve other disorders such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's disease, dementia, dyslexia and autism."
yikes, what are they thinking. They are in way over their head.
I think this will ruffle the feathers of the feds and they will take this down and potentially all other piracetam on the market.

Yeah, and then there is drank:
melatonin and valerian root

http://consumerist.c...ti energy-drink

I can see this causing a stir that might hurt supplement availability.

#11 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,058 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:14 PM

If we feel strongly enough about the negative impact of their marketing, perhaps we should alert them to this thread, or have a "sit down" with them.

I would tell them to cut down the sugar and vitamin content as well as to not make outlandish claims.

#12 yuri35434

• 10 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:15 PM

I wonder how many cans I will have to drink in order to get my usual 25 grams of piracetam.

#13 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:17 PM

I'm surprised that this hasn't happened earlier. Soon you will be able to buy a drink/meal replacement for most conditions/age groups. For example, Immunoshake that's high in glutathione precursors, GlyBlock that's contain's antiglycating agents like benfotiamine.

These sort of drinks have been popular in bodybuilding for decades in the form of protein shakes.

#14 zoolander

• 4,724 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:18 PM

For the Aussies that frequent these forums you can forget about seeing the above mentioned neurodrink with piracetam hitting our shores because piracetam is on the TGA's prohibited substance list

#15 Rags847

• 362 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:33 PM

If we feel strongly enough about the negative impact of their marketing, perhaps we should alert them to this thread, or have a "sit down" with them.

I would tell them to cut down the sugar and vitamin content as well as to not make outlandish claims.

Well, if anyone has a MySpace account (I don't) you could invite them over to this thread.
Here is the dude's MySpace page: http://profile.myspa...iendid=23289413
Also, Mind, how about inviting them to be an interviewed guest on the ImmInst Sunday Night Chat/The Immortality Update on Ustream? Ustream.tv - Immortality Update

Edited by Rags847, 18 June 2008 - 11:35 PM.

#16 Zoroaster

• 349 posts

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:40 PM

I'm not sure if its worth approaching them about the sugar and worthless vitamin content as both those things are pretty much par for the course in the energy drink industry. But communicating with them about the possible effects of their over-the-top advertising claims wouldn't be a bad idea. We might also want to tell them that they should probably double the amount of piracetam per serving and add some choline if they want the drink to be remotely effective.

#17 mike250

• 981 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 12:09 AM

For the Aussies that frequent these forums you can forget about seeing the above mentioned neurodrink with piracetam hitting our shores because piracetam is on the TGA's prohibited substance list

what isn't these days.

#18 dopamine

• 210 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 06:03 AM

The small amount of piracetam will likely not produce any significant effect in the general population (personal anecdotes notwithstanding). The good news is that adverse reactions are not likely to originate with the small dose of piracetam, but the bad news is that the FDA doesn't currently view piracetam as a "dietary supplement" or ingredient in the food supply (unless they've changed their minds since 2004). This will be a big legal test as to the status of piracetam in U.S. law.

#19 Leo

• Topic Starter
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:13 AM

Here's an article posted on their web site:

Energy Crisis

Delirious on caffeine, our reporter desperately seeks the lowdown on Knoxville's own
home-grown energy drink, NEURO FUEL.

by Mike Gibson

It's 4 a.m., and I'm gacked to the teats on energy
drinks. Four cans of Red Bull, four cans of Full Throttle,
two cans of Rockstar, and a 10-ounce plastic cup full of
some nameless yellow drool they dispense straight from
the beverage gun over at the pub across the way. I'm
bug-eyed, red-eyed, itchy, twitchy, anxious and sweaty
and grinding my teeth, talking to myself and talking to the walls and talking to my dog.
Which isn't unusual—the talking to my dog part, that is. I do that all the time. Except
ordinarily he just looks back at me, like he's bored, or he needs a biscuit, or something.
This time, he just looks too scared to answer.

Is that a bug crawling on the wall?

Maybe I'd have been better off with Neuro Fuel. What's a Neuro Fuel, you ask? Well,
really, you didn't ask. I asked for you. Because I'm the one sitting here in a paranoid
frenzy, trying to make a late-night finish on a story about Knoxville's own contribution to
the energy-drink market. And talking to myself, and to the dog, and to the walls. And
now I'm talking to you, too. Wait, this isn't making any damn sense.

No, but anyway. Neuro Fuel is a new energy drink, created by a pair of Knoxville boys,
Joe Elmore and Waylon Howell. But Neuro Fuel isn't just an energy drink; it's also a mood
enhancer. It's got Piracetam, which sounds like it might have something to do with
pirates, even though it doesn't.
But wouldn't it be cool if it did? No, that would be stupid.
Really, it's got Piracetam and all of these other ingredients that are supposed to act in
coordination with the sugar and caffeine and Taurine and all the stuff that's in all the
other better-known energy drinks, the stuff that makes you weird and jittery and feel like
you want to chew the nails out of your fingers while you count the bugs on the wall. Are
those really bugs?

(Editor's note: Be forewarned that energy-drink chemistry is a pretty inexact science.
Manufacturers inevitably make fanciful claims about the effects of so-called "active
ingredients"; naysayers inevitably maintain that such claims are spurious, usually based
on the fact that none of them have been endorsed by the almighty FDA. The bottom
line: Caveat emptor.)

Yeah, the Piracetam is supposed to actually smoooooth out the effects of the caffeine
and Taurine, so you don't have all the wigs and jitters, and at the same time it interacts
with various other synaptic disenhancers inside your parabellum
—and I know I may be
getting some of this wrong, because I really don't understand any of this chemistry
business, even though Waylon explained it to me, because sometimes he talks way too
fast. But so the Piracetam disjoins your aromatic synapses, or something like that, so that
you actually feel better—smarter, braver, stronger, more self-confident. And without all
the bugs.

So Waylon, he's about 25, a real All-American boy, good-looking and athletic and
perfectly groomed and articulate and smart and ambitious, but nice enough that you
don't fault him for any of it...much. He and Elmore are old fraternity brothers from the
University of Tennessee's Sigma Phi Epsilon house, ex-high school jocks, and both of them
have had a long-standing interest in vitamins and athletic supplements and stuff like that,
and Joe's dad is even a chemical research scientist, which helped a whole lot, I'm
thinking, when they pulled this whole performance-and-mood-enhancing-energy-drinkthing
together. The two of them had even concocted, maybe three years ago, their own
personal self-improvement formula, a mixture of Piracetam and other less pronounceable
chemicals that's supposed to aid memory and self-esteem and mental
acuity and all sorts of other great stuff that I can't remember, probably because I don't
drink enough Neuro Fuel.

Last spring, Waylon was on vacation in Florida when the Big Idea hit. "I was in Miami, and
there are people down there taking lots of substances—illegal substances—to make
themselves happier," he explains. "But Miami is also very health-conscious. So I'm thinking
of a bridge between that, something that would make them happy, but also be good
for them. Something that would keep the toxins out of their brain, and keep their mental
cognitions sped up. Something that would help them use their caffeine without the
dropoff."

And that's where this other thing you have to know about Waylon comes in. Because,
you see, besides knowing all this difficult-sounding mumbo-jumbo about chemistry and
vitamins and how your psychokinetic environs redact your quadricelli in response to
anagenic stimuli, Waylon is also a marketing whiz, dating back to even before he earned
his marketing and finance degree at UT, when he was an ambitious high-school kid
writing his own proposals for do-it-yourself marketing programs. And he's always looking
for an angle.

And his angle, in this case, is that the market for energy
drinks is growing wicked fast. "Energy drinks as a whole
went up 53 percent last year," he says. "And contrary to
popular belief, the different brands are not really in conflict
with each other. Right now, the more an energy drink
promotes, the more they're creating awareness for the
category as a whole. Red Bull has been around 10 years
now, but it's nowhere near saturation."

That last part, the "nowhere near saturation" bit, means people aren't tired of it yet. As
best I can tell.

So Joe and Waylon went and sank a hefty wad of their own cash into hiring a pricey
energy drink consulting firm, and another wad into tapping a private laboratory in
Kentucky. And they spent a lot of time there, in Kentucky, at the lab, slurping little Dixie
cups full of energy drink samples and trying to find the right mixture of, um, stuff.

The fact is that energy drink manufacturers throw all kinds of weird ingredients into their
product, gunk like Carnitine and Ginseng and Guarana, the latter of which comes from
the seeds of a South American shrub, just in case you ever wanted to know that or in
case maybe the question comes up in Trivial Pursuit or on Final Jeopardy, or something.
But the most common ingredients in most energy drinks—and the key active ingredients,
according to Waylon—are sugar, caffeine, and Taurine, which is an amino acid that can
be condensed from ox bile, which is apparently the source of an urban legend that
Taurine actually comes from bull semen, which isn't true and don't let anyone tell you
different. Though I'm not sure exactly why there would be any effective grossout/
perceptual difference between ox bile and bull semen...

Anyway, Taurine, according to the Red Bull PR team, "acts as a metabolic
transmitter...and strengthens cardiac contractility." And you probably think I made that
last word up, but I didn't; it means more blood is pumped from the heart muscle when
Taurine works in conjunction with caffeine, an effect that is borne out by some study, I
think.

"What most energy drinks do is they give people that caffeine and sugar spike, so they
feel more 'up' for a little while," Waylon says. "But they're cheating themselves. They're
not completing the chain. That's why you're seeing jitters. That's why you have the
energy drink 'crash.'"

So Joe and Waylon, clever young men that they are, they've added Piracetam as a
major additional active ingredient—they even have a patent pending for use of
Piracetam in commercial beverages—with Piracetam being an amino acid derivative
discovered in the 1960s and used in a wide range of medical research, including
treatments for ADD and Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, among a whole range of other
conditions that are increasingly difficult to spell.

Also, some researchers claim that Piracetam has all sorts of corollary benefits even for
non-sufferers of all the aforementioned ailments, benefits like increasing cognition and
memory and mental stamina and creativity, and amping up the effects of serotonin and
dopamine, and preventing cooties. I made up that last benefit, but I'm thinking maybe
you already guessed that.

And maybe most importantly, "when you combine the Piracetam and other ingredients
with caffeine, there's an anti-jitter effect," Waylon says. "You get an energy drink with no
more crash, no more jitters."

So Waylon and Joe, after spending days and then weeks at a Kentucky laboratory
tasting sample after sample of energy drink formula—after which they had absolutely no
problem whatsoever keeping their eyes open on the long drive home, thank you—finally
they came up with the perfect formula, the Neuro Fuel formula, and then made deals
with bottlers and distributors and started rolling it out this fall. Right now, it's only available
around Knoxville in Ken Jo Markets—which is why I'm sitting here with bad jitters and
heart palpitations and a terrible urge to gnaw the skin off my thumbs. Because there
aren't any Ken Jo Markets anywhere near my apartment, so I just decided to make do
with other, lesser, mere-mortal-type energy drinks, those drinks having the advantage of
residing in a more proximal spatial relationship to my abode, an important consideration
when you start a project like this at, oh, say, half past midnight, and it's something like
minus 30 freaking degrees below zero outside, and...

Well, you get the point, I think. So Waylon says he and Joe have already accumulated all
sorts of testimonials as to the happiness-inducing and wellness-increasing properties of
Neuro Fuel. There's the girl with two different blood diseases, Waylon says, who tried a
Neuro Fuel sample and claimed, two hours later, that she felt better than she had in
three years; or the UT student with mononucleosis who managed to crawl out of bed
and attend class after guzzling a can of Neuro Fuel, "not only feeling better, but she says
she was able to focus better in class"; or the roughneck bouncers at a local nightclub
who, one hour after accepting Waylon's free samples of Neuro Fuel, were spotted
giggling amongst themselves like silly school girls outside the bar.

"They said they would never drink it before going to work again," Waylon laughs. "I keep
getting all kinds of good reports coming back to me."

I wish I could add my own gleaming testimonial to the batch, but unfortunately, the day
Waylon stopped by the Metro Pulse offices with a muscle-y armload of Neuro Fuel
samples, I was already in the throes of a cosmic-level caffeine delirium, brought on by
five cans of Sugar Free Red Bull, a Full Throttle, plus several supplementary trips to the
office coffee machine in between rounds of energy drink consumption. I can only offer
that my two cans of Neuro Fuel were very pleasant-tasting—an office mate described its
flavor as "a little like Hawaiian Punch." Couldn't tell much otherwise, seeing as how I was
already caught up in a stone-freaky Mothership of a high....

Not unlike the energy-drink high I'm experiencing right now, actually, which kind of
makes it seem like maybe I could step outside my window and fly to Mars, if only I could
feel my arms and legs. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to make another trip to the
refrigerator; I think there's another can of Red Bull waiting for me on the top shelf.
Provided I can sift through all those bugs...

http://www.drinkneur...l.com/metro.pdf

#20 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:33 PM

O/T: I like the makeup of AOR's Turbo Tyro Tea, except for the huge amount of tyrosine and phenylalanine (one fifth would do IMO, especially if taken often). But, I'd rather have Tyro's ingredients in a can, than Neuro Fuel's. I'm not so sure 'bout the taste of TTT, though. Haven't tried it.

#21 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:46 PM

At first I thought.. Woah they shouldn't be putting such interesting supplements such as Piracetam in energy drinks. Then I thought. Well heck they put Yohimbine in energy drinks these days and that is one of the few supplements I would never take again under any circumstances.

What I can't figure out is that straight choline and straight piracetam taste like ASS! Piracetam is extremely bitter...Tastes like washing your mouth out with a bar of soap. Choline literally tastes like mild vomit.

#22 edward

• 1,404 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

What is the legal status of Piracetam in the US? It seems to have slowly weaseled its way into the dietary supplement market. Is it officially legal to sell at Walmart lol? I would think the FDA would have something to say about a drug being put into an energy drink. Piracetam is pretty harmless with extremely low toxicity but come on its not a dietary supplement by current FDA rules.

I mean seriously, piracetam is a drug by all definitions even by the rather loose dietary supplement definition.

A dietary supplement technically has to be found in nature in some form even in minuscule amounts, Piracetam is not found in nature. Maybe they are making a case for its structural similarity to pyroglutamate (pyroglutamic acid) ala the vincamine -> vinpocetine argument, but who knows.

#23 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:23 PM

Now that I think about it... I think the most disruptive effect of people drinking energy drinks with Piracetam is that it has been used successfully as a treatment for alcoholism and reversing alcoholism related brain damage.

#24 ortcloud

• 329 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:20 PM

If they wanted to smooth out the jitter out of caffeine they should have used theanine, it isnt bitter, and it is........ legal

#25 Yearningforyears

• 230 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:00 AM

Hah! The sales promoter is not exactly what I would call an expert. Hopefully the dosage is low enough, not to pose any danger to those with epilepsy.
If taken for a long time, piracetam can induce a rebound-like seizure in persons with this disease.
I think it´s great that nootropics are having a minor promotional peak in society, but maybe energy drinks are not the right messengers?
Thanks to the internet, people interested in these substances will do a simple search and find the active ingredients in bulk material, so sure... All PR is good PR.
Problem is... The ones who really need it might be too dumb to realize it´s benefits :p
Ah who cares. Summer is here!

#26 cmorera

• 168 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

what kind of sit down were you thinking of?

Posted Image

#27 Gerald W. Gaston

• 529 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:09 PM

I have a friend that is down the road from them and he emailed Waylon Howell and got a reply. I'll see if he will post it here (or tell me it is OK to post it), and maybe get him to menton the forum in a reply.

#28 neogenic

• 481 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 01:00 PM

The small amount of piracetam will likely not produce any significant effect in the general population (personal anecdotes notwithstanding). The good news is that adverse reactions are not likely to originate with the small dose of piracetam, but the bad news is that the FDA doesn't currently view piracetam as a "dietary supplement" or ingredient in the food supply (unless they've changed their minds since 2004). This will be a big legal test as to the status of piracetam in U.S. law.

Piracetam is a very "gray" supplement right now and the FDA has nixed other companies from selling it. Some manage to put it out there under the radar, but this is very interesting to me. I know a number of companies that wanted to do energy/nootropic/fatburner/etc. supplements using piracetam, but couldn't. Further, the beverage market has tighter restrictions, hence Biotest's Spike RTD not having any active...sulbutiamine. So this move along with the claims is shocking.

#29 mystery

• 117 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 04:57 PM

Check the nutrition facts on their website:
http://www.drinkneurofuel.com/

Contains a load of B vitamins, Taurine, caffeine, and glucuronolactone in addition to sugar. 127.5 mg caffine, or 58% more per can then Red Bull. It's got the basic stuff in most energy drinks. In addition to that it contains:
Acetyl L Carnitine: 1000 mg
DL Phenylalanine: 750 mg
Piracetam: 750 mg
Choline: 500 mg
Inositol: 37.5 mg

I would be wary of taking that much caffeine in addition to that much phenylalanine because both can cause heart palpitations.

I think it is just a marketing scheme rather than science. The more staple energy drink ingredients will likely account for the "mood enhancing" effects. Nonetheless I'd like to give it a try.

Edited by mystery, 26 June 2008 - 05:01 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 lynx

• 643 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:29 PM

Biggest problem I see is Sodium Benzoate and Ascorbic Acid, which results in the formation of benzene. There have been calls for the removal of other drinks because of this combo.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users