Methylene Blue Research

methylene blue

• Please log in to reply
384 replies to this topic

#331 Raphy

• 77 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

Hello everyone,

It seems this thread didn't address the interaction between MB and thyroid hormones levels?

here are some studies:

Methylene blue as an endocrine modulator: interactions with thyroid hormones: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8624735

An increase in the blood thyroxine level after methylene blue in rats: the interaction with carbimazole.: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8624735.

The effect of an NO-synthase inhibitor, methylene blue, on the function of certain endocrine glands: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9648602 (actually for this one I would like to find the whole text, since the abstract doesn't bring anything.

Changes in

thyroid

function in rats after administration of

methylene blue

and interactions with estrogens and acetylsalicylic acid:

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9446186

In short it seems the MB upregulates thyroid hormones, but: I didn't get the doses used. And I don't know what to think of it. I would tend to think this is positive since thyroid decline is associated with aging.
What do you guys think?
  • WellResearched x 1

#332 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

It seems this thread didn't address the interaction between MB and thyroid hormones levels?

All those studies are out of the same obscure Czech lab, based on a couple experiments done in 1995. I didn't see anything about dose in the abstracts, but I'd put money on the doses being a lot higher than what's being used around here. We looked into the NO synthase inhibition, either in this thread or another MB thread here, and it requires a dose far higher than anyone here was taking.
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#333 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 04:44 PM

Oddly, I think I gain weight while taking MB. I remember reading a study of MB inducing insulin resistance, which might explain this, but my max daily dose of MB was 3mg in divided doses, and I have no idea if that would do it.

#334 Raphy

• 77 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 08:04 PM

All those studies are out of the same obscure Czech lab, based on a couple experiments done in 1995. I didn't see anything about dose in the abstracts, but I'd put money on the doses being a lot higher than what's being used around here. We looked into the NO synthase inhibition, either in this thread or another MB thread here, and it requires a dose far higher than anyone here was taking.

Indeed, I didn't pay attention to the authors.

I guess you're right, moving on...

By the way I'm starting approx. 1mg daily tomorrow, let's see where it gets me.

#335 Raphy

• 77 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

I see in this message that it would take 100mg of MB to have a 100nM concentration (in the blood).

I read the topic entirely, but can't find the calculation you guys did to come up with a 1mg dose a day?

#336 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

I'm convinced that 1 mg dose just came out of dumping a drop of the Kordon's in a glass of water.

Edited by Junk Master, 25 May 2012 - 05:02 AM.

#337 Raphy

• 77 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

I surely hope not :D

#338 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

I'm not joking. Most people began using very low doses, like 60mcg-- homeopathic doses, really. While a few were using it at much higher doses, like 50-700mg range for Alzheimer's, and bi polar disorder; it was used at those doses for malaria at one time.

There was some concern among the low dose users that larger doses would be dangerous if combined with Serotonin or Dopamine effecting drugs because of it's MAOI inhibitory effects.

Turns out, at least from the anecdotal reports here, no one has had any problems (thank goodness).

Some people reported chest tightness and a slight headache when they bumped up their doses into the 3 mg per day range, but that's about it.

Others claim they feel a bit of a crash and find themselves redosing, or steadily sipping MB throughout the day; a few others claim a loss of energy/irritability upon cessation.

Personally, while I did feel an increase in mental alertness and energy, as well as a reduction in anxiety, when I first began taking it, those effects seemed to diminish. I believe it to be similar to other supps that protect mitochondria from oxidative stress, or encourage mitochondrial biogenesis-- like PQQ. They work well at first then need to be cycled.

Now I just take MB occasionally, if I feel anxious.

#339 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:18 PM

I took it over a range of doses, from homepathic to 3 mg/day. I think all I ever felt from taking it was placebo effect.

#340 stevep229

• 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:04 AM

I have been having subtle benefits from MB, more "clean" energy, positive mood, less worrisome, etc. One thing i did not catch a glimpse of in reading the many many threads is if MB would have something like an "adjustment period" similar in idea to that of one of the SRIs, NDRI, SNRIs. Im taking apprx 200mcg 2x a day, and i seemed to feel a little odd for the first few days then it smoothed out. Im just curious.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by stevep229, 30 May 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#341 Godot

• 198 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:07 PM

I wanted to convert methylene blue into leucomethylene blue to add to some hand cream (I can't remember who in these long MB threads gave me the idea for this, but I'm hoping it helps some patches of eczema I've had lately.)

I found that 50mg of MB required 4g of ascorbic acid in 20mL of solution to get to a nearly-colorless state. Interestingly, when added to a solution with a lower concentration of ascorbic acid it regains its blue color. Here's a video:

I found that this did not take place when I stirred a couple mg of the LMB into a little tin of nivea hand cream, thankfully. The cream took on a very light blue hue and does not appear to stain my hands.

#342 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:19 PM

I found that 50mg of MB required 4g of ascorbic acid in 20mL of solution to get to a nearly-colorless state. Interestingly, when added to a solution with a lower concentration of ascorbic acid it regains its blue color.

Basically, oxygen from air is sufficient to re-oxidize LMB into MB.

#343 rashlan

• 124 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:19 PM

Methylene blue prevents the stimulation of collagen gene expression (PMID 1962560).

Ascorbic acid (0.2 mmol/L) induced lipid peroxidation and stimulated collagen alpha 1(I) gene transcription in cultured human fibroblasts. Inhibition of the ascorbic acid-induced lipid peroxidation in cultured human fibroblasts with alpha-tocopherol (50 mumol/L) or methylene blue (10 mumol/L) prevented the stimulation of collagen gene expression.

Perhaps good if collagen production is not desirable in response to lipid peroxidation?

Surely this is a bad thing? I mean wouldn't this be bad for your skin and possibly emphysema?

#344 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 07:45 PM

Methylene blue prevents the stimulation of collagen gene expression (PMID 1962560).

Ascorbic acid (0.2 mmol/L) induced lipid peroxidation and stimulated collagen alpha 1(I) gene transcription in cultured human fibroblasts. Inhibition of the ascorbic acid-induced lipid peroxidation in cultured human fibroblasts with alpha-tocopherol (50 mumol/L) or methylene blue (10 mumol/L) prevented the stimulation of collagen gene expression.

Perhaps good if collagen production is not desirable in response to lipid peroxidation?

Surely this is a bad thing? I mean wouldn't this be bad for your skin and possibly emphysema?

No, this in vitro effect isn't relevant to humans. The concentration that had an effect on collagen gene expression is so high as to require an oral dose of about ten grams, which would have its own problems.

#345 rashlan

• 124 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:01 PM

No, this in vitro effect isn't relevant to humans. The concentration that had an effect on collagen gene expression is so high as to require an oral dose of about ten grams, which would have its own problems.

Thanks for the clarification.

#346 tommix

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:17 AM

Methylene Blue

No significant change of NADH, NAD+ and ATP could be observed

Methylene Blue (0.5), 1.0, 2.0 or 5.0 micrograms/ml) significantly decreased the concentration of NADPH, increased that of NADP+ and decreased the NADPH/NADP+ ratio in a dose-dependent manner

IS NADP+ equally good for body as NAD+ ? Cause looks like MB only good for NADP+ ratio not NAD+

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ov/pubmed/38164

Edited by tommix, 19 March 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#347 AdamI

• 221 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

Methylene Blue

No significant change of NADH, NAD+ and ATP could be observed

Methylene Blue (0.5), 1.0, 2.0 or 5.0 micrograms/ml) significantly decreased the concentration of NADPH, increased that of NADP+ and decreased the NADPH/NADP+ ratio in a dose-dependent manner

IS NADP+ equally good for body as NAD+ ? Cause looks like MB only good for NADP+ ratio not NAD+

http://www.ncbi.nlm....ov/pubmed/38164

MetoTrans will hit the market the 7 april, it's a modifed NAD+ somehow is released in the gut at the right time, have had some very impressive results on rats. If u are after that...

Is this study good, I mean does it prove that MB is good? This is connected with a dose of Glucose which I personaly try to avoid :)

Edited by AdamI, 19 March 2014 - 08:31 AM.

#348 tommix

• 49 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:35 AM

I wont buy any products... why buy some product if i can buy 25 grams of methylene blue for 15$ and it will last for me 10 years :D Im not believer in products, i believe in active ingredients.

I think there is more than enough studies that MB is good in right dose. I eat everything i never get sick, i have slim body, very low fat like teenager..and im 29 y.o. I live on carbohydrates and sugar. They are not bad, the bad is USA gov and FDA who poisons people in USA and sadly but now starts to poison whole world, that's why we have to collect info and ignore bullshit that comes from criminals in FDA. :)

Edited by tommix, 19 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

• Disagree x 1
  • Agree x 1

#349 AdamI

• 221 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Yeah well, I'm 33 and got waist 28 on my levis jeans, so I'm teenage slim as well :D

#350 amark

• 47 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 03:17 AM

A number of years ago I took large quantities of the stuff in an attempt to quell my bp depression. It did not work for me then I see this today, Make of it what you will.    Methylene Blue Treats Bipolar Depression in Adults
APRIL 10, 2014 · POSTED IN POTENTIAL TREATMENTS · COMMENT

iStock_000006812185Small.jpg

Methylene blue is a chemical compound that has been used to treat a variety of medical conditions. This drug has some actions that resemble lithium’s: it inhibits guanylate cyclase, which generates second messenger cyclic GMP, and decreases nitric oxide. New evidence shows it may help depression and anxiety in bipolar disorder when added to lamotrigine.

In patients with bipolar disorder who were all treated with lamotrigine, an active 65mg dose of methylene blue three times per day (for a daily total of 195mg) versus 15mg/day (an inactive dose that produces the same side effect of blue urine) was more effective at treating depression and anxiety in a 12-week crossover study. Side effects, in addition to blue urine, included infrequent nausea, diarrhea, headache, and a burning sensation in the urinary tract. Of the 37 randomized study participants, 27 completed both phases of the entire six-month study. Martin Alda, a researcher who presented the double-blind randomized crossover data at the 2014 meeting of the International Society for Bipolar Disorders, indicated that he has also used this preparation clinically with success, although the pharmacy staff who prepared the capsules were not too happy, because everything the drug touches turns blue.

#351 SnowMetal

• 33 posts

Posted 21 May 2015 - 05:49 AM

Hello, everyone.. I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to give a purely anecdotal review of methylene blue, but I had a *terrible* experience with it earlier this afternoon. I mean to present this information because I'd like the details to be public, but I am also curious to see if other users have experienced this type of a reaction.

First, I should mention that I purchased the MB on eBay and did *not* buy USP-grade, or at the very least I don't know the quality of the product. It was 2.3% which is the same, I believe, as the Kordon that seems to be popular among users so I (foolishly) assumed it was the same. Given that MB is a very common ingredient in many laboratories, I felt that purity would be standardized.

Second, I will mention that I have taken this MB around 4 different times, with the desired results having been achieved. Usually I ingest about 40 to 50 mcg of the material, with the initial onset of effects being very tangible and pronounced and settling down within an hour to a level of overall enhancement. To summarize the effects, I have noticed an increase in mental efficiency, with an increased capacity to organize tasks, along with a pleasant tactile sensation on my skin. Emotionally, a calming, anxiolytic influence is always present.

Lastly, I should also mention that my business partner and friend has tried the material (from the same batch) twice and is dead-set against ever doing it again, as he reported headaches and a sickly feeling, but didn't really get into describing it too much. Since I have had glowing experiences, and since he is kind of a whiner, I disregarded his complaints.

So, around 1pm or so I took 8 drops of my methylene blue solution, which equals around 16mcg, a dose far lower than usual. I had already taken a large multivitamin and had some coffee so I didn't want my usual amount of MB. I really don't like stacking it with other things.. Al few minutes later I was sitting in front of my audio workstation, working on some samples when I had an overwhelming feeling of dread come over me suddenly. I stood to my feet confused for a moment when I realized this was my methylene blue come-up.. but it was *very* pronounced. I had a heavy pressure in my chest combined with sudden decrease in blood-pressure, similar to inhaling amyl nitrate from a Rush bottle. Visual distortions were also present and, being alone in my high-rise apartment with my five-year-old son, I grabbed my phone and dialed 911.. but thought better of it and didn't hit "send". I called a friend instead who talked me through it and we evaluated some remedies.. Food, for one, and 200 mg of L-Theanine for another. I ended up feeling a bit better, but having the same rush of dread overtake me three more times over the next four hours. My mind did, actually, achieve the desired enhanced capacity, but the unpleasant feeling never actually subsided completely and is still lingering 11 hours after ingestion.

Has anyone experienced this hypersensitivity to this material? Has anyone had any other pronounced, unpleasant reactions to methylene blue?

#352 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:41 AM

maybe you combined it with some that interacts in a bad way. being one of those powerful MAIOs i assume anything can make it nightmare

#353 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 02:24 PM

It's not THAT powerful of a MAOI.  It would take way way more than a microgram level dose to have a MAO effect.

#354 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:05 AM

yeh well each time i read something has some MAIO effect im careful because i had some bad reactions with selegiline and combos and its super easy to neglect and go on with your life without noticing this stuff. in fact, i dare anyone to actually be so aware and keep daily task of what they do, consume daily, to keep in check of interactions

#355 zompy

• 56 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 03:24 PM

I had to post here since I have reading for a long time about this substance. There is a lot of people liking the substance but also a lot of people talking trash about it. Either saying it is not working at all or it having negative (side) effects. What is the final conclusion you guys found?

#356 johnk13

• 4 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 08:58 AM

My experience so far, only 2 days.

dose: about 80-100 mcg twice daily, once in morning, once around noon before working out. (put 2 drops of 1% solution into 500ml water bottle, drinking about 10% of bottle each dose)

I felt pretty good working out yesterday, lifting some light to moderate weights.  On the second day, today, I really noticed increased strength and stamina while working out.

Cognitive effects less clear, although definitely should not have had that extra cup of coffee after lunch. It made me quite jittery, although focus was better than expected for how wired i felt. Still feeling somewhat wired at 6pm. I took some kava kava and Gotu Kola to try and calm down.  Typing speed feels improved, memory feels a bit impaired since having the third cup of coffee after lunch. I may try and reducing coffee consumption to one cup a day, or reduce MB to a single dose.

I'll report back later, but don't think it is placebo. The change in stamina and strength while working out was quite pronounced.

• Informative x 1

#357 hotbit

• 129 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

In humans, a single low dose of methylene blue has been shown to enhance long-term contextual and extinction memory (18). However, the effects of methylene blue on short-term memory and sustained attention tasks have not been investigated, and the neural correlates of the effects of methylene blue in humans are unknown. The goal of this study was to use multimodal functional MR imaging to investigate the neural correlates of methylene blue in humans. We tested the hypothesis that a single low dose of oral methylene blue would increase functional MR imaging activity during sustained attention in a psychomotor vigilance task, short-term memory in a delayed match-to-sample task, and the neural networks related to the tasks. In addition, we also tested the potential effect on cerebrovascular reactivity (CVR).
Then, 13 participants (the methylene blue group) were randomized to receive 280 mg (approximately 4 mg/kg) of oral U.S. Pharmacopeia-grade methylene blue (methylthioninium chloride USP; PCCA, Houston, Tex), and 13 participants (the placebo group) were randomized to receive food colorant (FD&C blue no. 2) 
Advances in Knowledge
  1. ■ Compared with control subjects, a low dose of oral methylene blue increased functional MR imaging response in the bilateral insular cortex during a sustained attention task (Z = 2.9–3.4, P = .01–.008).

2. ■ Compared with control subjects, oral administration of low-dose methylene blue increased functional MR imaging response during the encoding, maintenance, and retrieval components of a short-term memory task in multiple clusters in the prefrontal, parietal, and occipital cortex (Z = 2.9–4.2, P = .03–.0003).

3. ■ Compared with control subjects, a single low dose of oral methylene blue led to a 7% increase in short-term memory retrieval (P = .01).

4. ■ Administration of low-dose methylene blue did not alter cerebrovascular reactivity (P > .05).

• Informative x 3

#358 Conzed92

• 9 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

What the guy above me posted, reinforces my doubt in whether dosing MB in the mcg range actually achieves anything. 280 mg of MB is in a whole other dimension compared to what most users on this forum have been experimenting with. 

How did we get to the mcg doses, when almost all of the information gained from studies, point to at least the mid level range in mg? 

It does not exactly reinforce the notion of the Longecity community being adherents of the principles of science, does it now?  :|?

• Good Point x 2
  • Ill informed x 1

#359 normalizing

• 2,692 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:18 AM

conzed, how do you feel on MB at those doses, reports?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#360 Conzed92

• 9 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:01 AM

conzed, how do you feel on MB at those doses, reports?

I am in the middle of trying out the 500 mcg range. It seems to have some sort of mood enhancing effect, as I have been smiling and laughing much more, to the point where people in my daily life are noticing and commenting. Another effect I seem to have reached, is improved stamina. I noticed a week into my experiments, breathing became much easier - and I do not have any cardiopulmonary disease, have to mention that. I do crossfit and military physical work-outs most days of the week, and the increased stamina is quite noticeable.
I also seem to be affecting systems related to libido, as my libido has taken a back seat for now, which is problematic, as I already had issues on that front.
All of this might be placebo, as I am far, far away from any of the effective doses used in human trials, however I do not know enough about this compound to say anything intelligent about whether this is the case.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: methylene blue

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)