• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Adverts help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

Photo
- - - - -

Should drinking age be lowered to 18?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the drinking age in the US be lowered to 18? (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the drinking age in the US be lowered to 18?

1. Yes, lower drinking age to 18 (47 votes [61.84%])

Percentage of vote: 61.84%

2. No, should stay at 21 (25 votes [32.89%])

Percentage of vote: 32.89%

3. No opinion (4 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 babcock

• 299 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 10:35 PM

Too many 18 year olds are not responsible enough to be allowed to drink. Seriously, how many mature 18 year olds do you know? Life is one big party without consequences for a significant portion of people around that age. Drink too much alcohol, get raped, mugged, black out, etc. It's not pretty.

I'd rather something like Marijuana be legalized for 18 year olds instead, when's the last time you heard of someone getting hurt from that? Never. You can't OD on weed either.

IMO lowering the drinking age would allow adults to get on their way to becoming adults at an earlier age. College deeply impacted my views of when the drinking age should be. That age, IMO, should be 18. This allows most people to start drinking (if they choose) before they hit college. I saw many freshmen come into college, drink and party too much because they had never experienced it before, and flunk out of school freshmen year because they were too overwhelmed with their new found responsibility. I started drinking (illegally obvi) in High school at parties and quickly learned my limits via binge drinking. I was much more prepared than many of my classmates who wanted to party when they got to school. Granted I still went to parties freshman year and drank my fair share but I knew when to stop. Over my years at college, it was an average for 10 freshmen to go to the hospital for alcohol poisoning first weekend of the year. This is a lot considering the average class size was 400. I was in a fraternity in college and often traveled north to another chapter across the border to Canada (Quebec) where the drinking age was 18. I often talked with the brothers in that chapter about drinking problems at school. He said there were no drinking problems (except alcoholism among some) and there were very few cases of alcohol poisoning. They attributed this to many of the students having been exposed to drinking way before they got to college so they were prepared. They also attributed the few drinking problems to the fact that the school would host an opening party at the beginning of the year on the campus commons where everyone would go and get smashed and get it out of their system at the beginning before they had any work to be done.

A frequent argument I receive when discussing this with my mother (who is in the Childhood development field) is that the human brain isn't done "developing" until age 25 and binge drinking or any drinking at all extremely retards development. So from a health standpoint maybe we should set the drinking age to 25?

I however oppose all government impositions on our personal lives and frankly wouldn't give a damn if the drinking age was abolished entirely. Ultimately this law comes down to the fact that no one wants to be responsible for themselves anymore. If parents took responsibility for their children and introduced alcohol into their lives before they left the nest, there wouldn't be nearly as many problems.

Not allowing legal adults to choose whether they consume alcoholic substances is hypocrisy at the deepest level.

You will be tried in the court of law as an adult because you are completely capable to understand your own actions and completely responsible for what you do, but then you can't decide to drink if you want to. There's a huge disconnect here.

And we know full bloody well people drink before 21, people drink before 18! And you're not going to stop it. It's pointless tax payers money going to harass people who shouldn't be in trouble for it in the first place.

You may argue that the brain isn't fully developed until 21 so you shouldn't drink. So what? You shouldn't drink? Who are you to tell an adult what to do? Either raise the adult status to 21 or lower the drinking age to 18. At least be bloody consistent.

Amen

Too many 18 year olds are not responsible enough to be allowed to drink. Seriously, how many mature 18 year olds do you know? Life is one big party without consequences for a significant portion of people around that age. Drink too much alcohol, get raped, mugged, black out, etc. It's not pretty.

I'd rather something like Marijuana be legalized for 18 year olds instead, when's the last time you heard of someone getting hurt from that? Never. You can't OD on weed either.

Yes, because there's a magic age where someone becomes "responsible" for themselves. Groan. This is what's wrong with today's society, age limits don't define one's personal responsibility. Parenting should instill enough responsibility into children so that when they leave the nest they can learn from their mistakes.

Yea, I also am all for legalizing weed because of the amount of money our country spends each year to prohibit it but not for the reasons you state. THC is still a narcotic and still can result in all of the things you listed as cons for alcohol consumption.

#32 s123

• Director
  • 1,348 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:09 PM

Here in Belgium the drinking age for beer is 16 and for spirits 18. It doesn't seem to cause any problems.

#33 thatperson

• 35 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:50 AM

well here in the UK it's already 18 and I'd gladly support raising the age to 21 here, but i think if it was a choice of that or greater enforcement for the actual 18 age i'd choose enforcement. The 18 age limit is only really enforced in supermarkets and other large chains such as teh co-op which have a large responsibility. In off licences you might get ID'd and some Pubs but if a 15 year old wants to drink mroe likly than not they can without hinderence. Even teachers openly accept and condone it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#34 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 05:02 PM

In the US:

You are an adult at 18.

You can join the military at 18 (or be drafted if there was one).

If those two things exist at age 18, then so should drinking. If people are not mature enough to handle their drink at 18, then they should be to immature to be considered adults and to fight wars.

#35 drus

• 278 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 08:47 PM

there should be one age for everything (driving, drinking, voting, military service, legal, etc...). however, if anything, the age should be raised to 25+.

#36 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Although 18 has normatively become the age where society deems its younger members as adults, I don't think there's much of a proper basis for this norm, besides it being the typical year in which one's primary education is concluded. I think a larger question that should be addressed, and that is, how should we define an adult, and with the correlates set, what would be the proper age? Personally I'm inclined to believe that individuals pass into adulthood at a younger age, after acquiring knowledge sufficient to survive in the event of being detached from their families. With this enhanced capability for survival, I believe it would be proper for societies to grant greater privileges to this category of members, which may include the restricted right to consume alcoholic beverages. As was pointed out, drinking ages vary by state, but as the following report suggests, there isn't a strong causal relationship with statutes that place age restrictions on drinking alcohol, and some of the systemically detrimental effects of alcohol: http://www.who.int/s...licy Report.pdf

Edited by Rol82, 27 January 2011 - 09:50 PM.

#37 Rational Madman

• 1,295 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 09:46 PM

Delete

Edited by Rol82, 27 January 2011 - 09:48 PM.

#38 The Immortalist

• 1,462 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 04:10 PM

Why do people even drink alcohol? It tastes really disgusting to me. The only alcohol I can say that I like is wine but I always dilute it with water, if I do that it tastes more like a bitter version of grape juice.

I once tried some "Dewars 12 year old double ages blended scotch whisky" and it literally tasted like drain cleaner. As soon as it entered my mouth I felt nauseous and it made me gag and I spat it out right away and had to wash my mouth out.

#39 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 03:51 AM

Why do people even drink alcohol? It tastes really disgusting to me. The only alcohol I can say that I like is wine but I always dilute it with water, if I do that it tastes more like a bitter version of grape juice.

I once tried some "Dewars 12 year old double ages blended scotch whisky" and it literally tasted like drain cleaner. As soon as it entered my mouth I felt nauseous and it made me gag and I spat it out right away and had to wash my mouth out.

Well, like the saying goes, it's an acquired taste. As many get older, they way their taste buds perceive things might change too.

Why do people drink? Seriously? It can be one of life's great escapes, especially done in the right atmosphere with the right friends. I've had so many great times and memories drinking with friends. Do I wish I had drank half the alcohol I drank in my younger years? Yep. Would I take back all those good times and great memories? Nope.

#40 PRK

• 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:25 PM

Here in New Zealand, the drinking age is 18, the s*x age is 16, and the driving age is 16. Binge drinking is a bit of a problem here for youths however so there are always proposals to increase the drinking age but they usually don't get passed into law.

Edited by PRK, 30 August 2011 - 02:26 PM.

#41 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:26 AM

Government shouldn't have any drinking age laws. Or any other laws. Or even exist.

In a rational society, any regulations to the consumption of alcohol or anything else would come from systems of voluntary governance (ex. charter city, neighborhood associations, local business alliances, private school / university policies, employment contracts, marriage contracts, insurance contracts, private road memberships, driving certifications, etc, etc, etc), as well as from the pressure of public opinion. Whether in a free society or in a Big Brother tyranny, keeping secrets will become ever-more-difficult as technology continues to advance. Would you give a job to someone if their entry on a reputation wiki showed evidence that they let their kids get drunk?

Would I be more inclined to live in a place that had strict anti-alcohol rules? Yes, I would, even a TOTAL prohibition on ANY consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and all other recreational drugs.

#42 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:51 AM

Would I be more inclined to live in a place that had strict anti-alcohol rules? Yes, I would, even a TOTAL prohibition on ANY consumption of alcohol, tobacco, and all other recreational drugs.

If government can't stop alcohol and drugs, what makes you think a private organization could? Some fraction of people would potentially join for reasons unrelated to the drug rules.

#43 robomoon

• 209 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

having a drinking age is really bad. Noone cares about it here in sweden among youths. The only thing that comes from it is wasted tax money on "punishing" those giving younger people alcohol. Instead of punishing these people money could be used to combating the aging problem.

The same applies to drugs etc. It costs 800 dollars a day to have a swedish guy in prison for selling Marijuana, the sentence is often 10 years or so. That's a cost of 3 000 000 dollars to punish someone for doing that( + the cost of the trial). I would like to ask the question, is it really so horrible to sell pieces of a unhealthy plant to someone that more than 3 million dollars should be wasted to destroy the life of that person.

Personally I dislike alcohol,smoking as well as all other drugs but of course I think everyone should be free too use them as much as they want instead of wasting enormous tax money to do something that does not result in any social good.

3 000 000 dollars looks bad, such important numbers are not being regularly published in many common magazines every year. Great to find such information about federal money squander. I gave your posting a positive vote. However, I have not searched for any references for proof about that dollar amount, so I voted with "no opinion" instead for the lowering of the drinking age. The reason is, I actually drank a glass of my favorite herb bitter liqueur mixed with soda and juice for better taste. You know, that drink is a cheap but powerful depressant with a positive effect against anxieties and dreadful emotions. I would not mind if the tax money could be used for combating the aging problem, but who would be alive in the next Century anyways? Too much beer http://lifeboat.com/...1#comment-89224 is bad anyways. A global risk like an increasingly dangerous subatomic development due to something like particle experiments is endangering the continuation of advanced life in this solar system so very much.

Edited by robomoon, 05 September 2011 - 11:18 AM.

#44 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:30 PM

If government can't stop alcohol and drugs, what makes you think a private organization could? Some fraction of people would potentially join for reasons unrelated to the drug rules.

"Can't stop" isn't a black-and-white benchmark. Prohibitions do raise prices, so fewer people can afford the contraband goods, and some people are simply superstitious about not wanting to "break the law". In a tyrannical-enough society, prohibitions would be effective and the "war on drugs" would finally be won - at the price of a dystopian dark age.

It's a lot easier to enforce rules in a small community of people who've agreed to those rules voluntarily, where their legitimacy is recognized by everyone, and the violator has no excuses since s\he explicitly promised to obey those rules (unless s\he's a minor, in which case it's an issue of Parents' Rights). People who want to drink and do drugs will live in a different neighborhood.

Government cannot be trusted to enforce all the little rules of a civilized society - it's like shooting at mosquitoes with a cannon. The only rules that should be forced on everyone universally are part of the Non-Aggression Principle, that is self-defense of one's life, liberty, and property. Only a system of voluntary governance can enforce policies like alcohol regulations with sufficient flexibility, safety, and effectiveness.

#45 rwac

• 4,764 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:24 AM

It's a lot easier to enforce rules in a small community of people who've agreed to those rules voluntarily, where their legitimacy is recognized by everyone, and the violator has no excuses since s\he explicitly promised to obey those rules (unless s\he's a minor, in which case it's an issue of Parents' Rights). People who want to drink and do drugs will live in a different neighborhood.

If North Korea isn't sufficiently tyrannical to win the WOD, i don't know what would work.

You claim that liberty should be forced on everyone yet the selfsame liberty can be bargained away as part of voluntary governance.

#46 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

Government shouldn't have any drinking age laws. Or any other laws. Or even exist.

In a rational society, any regulations to the consumption of alcohol or anything else would come from systems of voluntary governance (ex. charter city, neighborhood associations, local business alliances, private school / university policies, employment contracts, marriage contracts, insurance contracts, private road memberships, driving certifications, etc, etc, etc), as well as from the pressure of public opinion. Whether in a free society or in a Big Brother tyranny, keeping secrets will become ever-more-difficult as technology continues to advance. Would you give a job to someone if their entry on a reputation wiki showed evidence that they let their kids get drunk?

Alex, I think this post exposes the fatal flaw in the Libertarian position as it is usually propounded. Government is horrible, except little tinpot dictatorships like charter cities, neighborhood associations, etc. Where exactly would that stop? At the county level? State? I don't remember if you think that there should be enough government to run a military, but that idea is common among Libertarians. If so, we'd be keeping about half the federal government, if it's properly accounted for and we continue to use the military as we traditionally have. If we only maintained enough force to protect the "Homeland" and not to make the world safe for favored multinational corporations, then we would spend a lot less, and could have less taxation. But there would still be taxation at the federal level as well as at the level of the various small governance units.

And now you're proposing to deny a livelihood to someone who, in the privacy of their own home, lets their kids get drunk? In your world, wouldn't this be tantamount to the death penalty? There wouldn't be welfare or food stamps, right? So I guess you'd kill the whole family, unless they could figure out a way to fend for themselves without jobs. Wow, what a creepy, fascistic, big brother world.

I think you are overestimating the ease with which a person can just pick up and move. What if there's not a 'wet' or 'dry' town close enough to your job or school? Considering how many people like to drink, I think you might have a hard time finding a dry town that had enough people to make a go of it. And what happens if you catch someone sneaking a beer in a dry town? Do the dry townsfolk grab their pitchforks and torches and drag the guy to the nearest tree? I can see this Libertarian deal is gonna work out great.

#47 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:50 AM

If North Korea isn't sufficiently tyrannical to win the WOD, i don't know what would work.

You didn't read what I've said. This isn't a black-and-white issue.

I'm not arguing for prohibitionist tyranny, obviously, just acknowledging a basic fact - with enough tyranny people use less drugs.

You claim that liberty should be forced on everyone [...]

That's the very opposite of what I've said, and have been saying for years!

I'm not trying to force anything on anyone. I don't even vote! I advocate things like seasteading and private land secession.

Reading is fundamental.

---

Alex, I think this post exposes the fatal flaw in the Libertarian position as it is usually propounded. Government is horrible, except little tinpot dictatorships like charter cities, neighborhood associations, etc.

If you think that something is "tinpot", don't move there. It's not "government" or a "dictatorship" if it's voluntary.

Where exactly would that stop? At the county level? State?

What we have today is massive collusion between all layers of government all over the world, with no real competition between them, and great artificial barriers that prevent people from switching from one government to another. The way a free market breaks out of collusion (among other mechanisms) is through any individual's ability to enter the marketplace and offer a choice, which would immediately be successful since it does something better than the colluding companies, and they'll have to change their ways in order to compete.

Movements for more state / local power and opposition to stronger federal / regional / world governments are a good thing. National secession (especially if it creates "tax havens") is better still. More immigration freedom is definitely good. But the best way to get out of collusion by socialist governments is through things like seasteading and private land secession. If you have a sufficiently large enclave of property where EVERYONE wants to secede from the state / federal government, and everyone in that region stops voting, using government services, and paying taxes, it would be very difficult for them to roll in the tanks. It would also be very difficult to bust seasteads, with their warships being streamed live on the Internet.

There can be a gradual transition through ever-higher forms of democracy, with ever-more control being taken away from the dictators in Washington and given to local town halls, toward a higher state called capitalism, where there are no laws except Natural Law and Contract Law. Every act of aggression must have a justification, and laws that are not based on pure reason or explicit consent are nothing more than crimes carried out by a gang that calls itself "government".

Sooner or later, the dams that prevent real intergovernmental competition will start to show cracks, and then bust wide open, with people being free to move their capital and themselves as they please. Once that happens, socialist governments will need to use something other than violence to keep their people from leaving. When governments compete, free market capitalism ultimately wins, and you get the transition from involuntary government to competing systems of voluntary governance.

A legitimate system of governance would be based on legitimate Property Rights, which are held by individuals who brought that property into the civilized economy, or can document legitimate transfer of ownership from someone that has. This is not a simple thing to have accomplished historically, but it can be done moving forward. Most governments already recognize individual Property Rights that have a high degree of rational legitimacy, but the governments' "superior" claim to it does not.

On a longer timeline, with ever-more people living on seasteads or space stations, it will all seem a lot more natural. You buy the materials and build a space station, and you own it - you decide who comes on board and on what terms.

It's not a perfect system. Parents (and the systems of governance they subscribe to) could brainwash a young person into signing a contract as soon as he reaches adulthood that he later cannot escape. There is a very complicated set of ways this can be dealt with, with an evolving standard of what constitutes valid contractual consent, time limits, etc. But ultimately people are influenced by what they are born into - nothing can be done about that...

I don't remember if you think that there should be enough government to run a military, but that idea is common among Libertarians. If so, we'd be keeping about half the federal government, if it's properly accounted for and we continue to use the military as we traditionally have. If we only maintained enough force to protect the "Homeland" and not to make the world safe for favored multinational corporations, then we would spend a lot less, and could have less taxation. But there would still be taxation at the federal level as well as at the level of the various small governance units.

Military exists to protect from specific threats. In absence of threats, a military is a liability that needs to be paid for and can shoot you in the foot at any time. This is why the list of countries that don't have a military will continue to grow.

The era where one country can invade another is coming to an end - there's simply no profit in it. If Mexico was to invade the USA, everyone in the world would be against Mexico (lest they be invaded next) - boycotting its products, calling in debts, donating funds to help restore peace, etc. And what would be Mexico's goal anyway? it would have no way of extracting a profit from millions of disobedient, well-educated, well-armed persons who don't want to be Mexico's slaves. It would have to go home and pay lots and lots of restitution for the trouble.

To be conquered, a nation needs to have a government and tax system that can be taken over. You can't rule a people that refuse to be ruled! And, in order to conquer, a nation must be backward enough to have a brainwashed population willing to pay taxes and risk death in the name of pointless conquest, but that level of mass stupidity won't help it when it comes to manufacturing high-tech weapons. You cannot win wars and keep your people ignorant at the same time, and a free press has a way of making fighting even a justified war very difficult. Wikileaks is only the beginning!

And now you're proposing to deny a livelihood to someone who, in the privacy of their own home, lets their kids get drunk? In your world, wouldn't this be tantamount to the death penalty? There wouldn't be welfare or food stamps, right? So I guess you'd kill the whole family, unless they could figure out a way to fend for themselves without jobs. Wow, what a creepy, fascistic, big brother world.

What the hell are you talking about?! I'm not "proposing to deny a livelihood" to anyone!

I also don't owe anyone an obligation to provide them with a livelihood, and neither does everybody else. All human relations should be voluntary. Some people would rather not do business (ex. employ) people who they believe act irresponsibly (ex. let their young children drink themselves half-way into a coma). Other people may choose to look the other way, although this would limit the transgressor's options, punishing them proportionally to what public opinion thinks of their actions much more justly than the dysfunctional system of "democratic" morality legislation we have today. This is a flexible system of people making the value judgement they are allowed to make, on the basis of their own Right to choose who they deal with. Not giving someone a job at YOUR company does not equate to the death penalty!

And there would be plenty of charitable institutions willing to help people who've made a mistake and are being widely ostracized for it, in exchange for their willingness to improve their ways. Most people are willing to give someone who's reformed (ex. passed a parenting class with flying colors) a second chance.

I think you are overestimating the ease with which a person can just pick up and move. What if there's not a 'wet' or 'dry' town close enough to your job or school?

Moving was a lot more of a hassle in the horse-n-buggy days than it is in the era of Craigslist, hire-a-helper, navigation systems, PODS, SUV's, jumbo jets, etc. More and more people work and study from home. Also, in the era of super-cheap manufacturing and everything being digital - people on average simply have less "stuff" to pack than they once did. And most people don't change their mind about what kind of policies they want to live under all that often, probably not more often than they move for all sorts of other reasons.

As technology will continue to progress at an exponential rate, all of this will become ever-easier. Video walls and holograms will make telecommuting and staying in touch with distant relatives a snap. You can access a lot more local businesses within an hour of your home if your flying car goes 400 MPH! Traveling and buying property across borders and continents will continue to become faster, easier, and less bureaucratic. Etc.

Considering how many people like to drink, I think you might have a hard time finding a dry town that had enough people to make a go of it.

I was just saying that I'd "be more inclined to live in a place that had strict anti-alcohol rules". All things being equal, making sure you don't live in a building / neighborhood with a lot of partying college kids is a benefit on my decision matrix, but it is by no means crucial.

Life is a series of choices where you have to weigh the positives and negatives of various alternatives. Hopefully, as people become better educated (or less mis-educated into helplessness by governments) and better able to utilize information technology, they will be capable of handling such choices a lot better. A real estate database / search engine can sift through billions of records to find and rank choices that most closely match hundreds of different criteria preferences you've put into it.

And what happens if you catch someone sneaking a beer in a dry town? Do the dry townsfolk grab their pitchforks and torches and drag the guy to the nearest tree?

That would depend on the contract, but clauses about pitchforks will probably be filtered out rather quickly. Fines and evictions are a lot more probable.

I can see this Libertarian deal is gonna work out great.

Try to understand that libertarians don't want you or anything from you.

We want our own freedom - far away from you.

#48 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:06 PM

Moving was a lot more of a hassle in the horse-n-buggy days than it is in the era of Craigslist, hire-a-helper, navigation systems, PODS, SUV's, jumbo jets, etc. More and more people work and study from home. Also, in the era of super-cheap manufacturing and everything being digital - people on average simply have less "stuff" to pack than they once did. And most people don't change their mind about what kind of policies they want to live under all that often, probably not more often than they move for all sorts of other reasons.

Alex, do you have any idea how difficult it is (for normal people) to:
  • Find not one but two jobs, close enough to commute to, as would be required for the typical family?
  • Sell a house?
  • Tear up your entire family's established roots in the community?

We want our own freedom - far away from you.

Apparently, this will be easy:

You buy the materials and build a space station, and you own it
if your flying car goes 400 MPH!

#49 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:32 PM

Alex, do you have any idea how difficult it is (for normal people) to:

• Find not one but two jobs, close enough to commute to, as would be required for the typical family?
  • Sell a house?
  • Tear up your entire family's established roots in the community?

At present, the average American moves 12 times in his or her lifetime. You're making it sound as if in a free society people will have to move a lot more often. I don't think the difference would be that drastic. It's kind of like changing political affiliations - often you have entire families that share the same beliefs, or an individual would do it once or twice in a lifetime.

Today, if you don't like your government, you have to move pretty darn far to get away from it. In a free society, changing some aspects of one's governance would be as simple as making a phone call / filling out an online form, and changing policies tied to your residence could be as simple as moving into a neighboring building, or a gated community that's one mile away, with no need to change jobs / schools / etc.

Apparently, this will be easy:

Yes, technological advances will be made in the 21st century. Do you actually believe everything will just stand still?!

Just look at how many advances were made in the 20th century, and consider all of the force multipliers we have going forward: larger population, more people having access to education, global integration, the Internet, etc, etc, etc. Unless governments get in the way, the rate of technological advancement should continue to accelerate. All we need is cheap-enough energy to bootstrap space-based solar energy production, and after that the rate of innovation will really take off...

And, if not for governments screwing things up in the past century, many of the advancements (ex. flying cars) would be available already.

#50 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:15 PM

Military exists to protect from specific threats. In absence of threats, a military is a liability that needs to be paid for and can shoot you in the foot at any time. This is why the list of countries that don't have a military will continue to grow.

Funny how practically all the army-less countries in the list cluster around one regional military hegemon to which they entrust their defence - US alone, NATO, or ANZUS. What I see there is the tendency of blocks to consolidate around "hawks", not more and more countries becoming "doves". The way China is developing militarily, my bet is that it is this trend that will continue.

The era where one country can invade another is coming to an end - there's simply no profit in it. If Mexico was to invade the USA, everyone in the world would be against Mexico (lest they be invaded next) - boycotting its products, calling in debts, donating funds to help restore peace, etc.

Just like the whole world has been massivelly boycotting Russia since 2008's invasion of Georgia, right ?
  • like x 1

#51 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2011 - 03:53 PM

Government cannot be trusted to enforce all the little rules of a civilized society - it's like shooting at mosquitoes with a cannon. The only rules that should be forced on everyone universally are part of the Non-Aggression Principle, that is self-defense of one's life, liberty, and property. Only a system of voluntary governance can enforce policies like alcohol regulations with sufficient flexibility, safety, and effectiveness.

Except for the self defense, I agree. These are sound principles that could be implemented by a traditional governmental system very well. In the EU, government is enacted on a democratic way at various levels. Elections define the composition and programs of these governments. At EU, national, regional and city level. So here we also elect our tin can governments....

But what is the reason that government has a negative perception in the US? The culprit is the crippling two party system that is able to render any democracy defunct. Each president can count half of his period on sufficient support from congress and the other half is ineffective due to insufficient support. This is a kind of steady state pattern that combined with the inability to agree on pragmatic solutions (due to extreme view on the right of self defense?) causes the US democracy to be, euhhm, somewhat sub optimal.

I doubt that the US government would be capable of changing a simple thing like drinking age....
(Not because of the fact that it is a government, but due to the limiting two party structure)

Please read this as criticism expressed by a good friend of the US during a nice political chat while drinking moderate quantities of alcohol..... :)

Edit: did add some more clarification of the point I try to make

Edited by Brainbox, 11 September 2011 - 07:02 PM.

#52 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:09 PM

Funny how practically all the army-less countries in the list cluster around one regional military hegemon to which they entrust their defence - US alone, NATO, or ANZUS. What I see there is the tendency of blocks to consolidate around "hawks", not more and more countries becoming "doves". The way China is developing militarily, my bet is that it is this trend that will continue.

It's a start. There are only so many commie-lands out there, and most of them have been gradually moving in the direction of greater economic freedom. Countries that achieve a certain criteria of that ranking generally don't fight each-other. China is already a major trading partner for most countries in the world, including the most peaceful ones.

As the financially-insolvent US military steps down, private institutions will gradually replace some of its functions, while other functions will simply no longer be necessary. It takes a massive socialist government to develop (or provoke the development of) nukes and aircraft carriers - in a rational society with no "divine right of governments" delusion, those things would be nothing but liabilities that no one could afford.

Just like the whole world has been massivelly boycotting Russia since 2008's invasion of Georgia, right ?

First of all, you have your recent history backwards. NATO-backed Georgia initiated aggression against South Ossetia, where the overwhelming majority of people want to secede and be a part of Russia. People should boycott Georgia instead! I know it's strange to hear me defending Putinist Russia, but I have to call them as I see them. (And that's not what this thread is about.)

Secondly, I was talking about a freer and more rational society, which can be achieved organically after a gradual transition process - not the world as it exists today. People don't think for themselves, they just bicker whether the red or the blue team of politicians should do their thinking for them. In a more rational society, people would be talking about things that actually make a difference, like consumer activism, aggression insurance, research funding, and charity.

Except for the self defense, I agree. These are sound principles that could be implemented by a traditional governmental system very well.

How do you know they are sound? Compared to what? Without a frame of reference, you cannot know if something is a "sound principle" or not - it's just pointless conjecture.

In EU you do have less federal homogenization between the member states, which is a good thing, but that is just a historical circumstance - the EU is newer and didn't yet have as much time to consolidate its laws.

Overall, the governments of EU are subject to very little competition. In a free market, on the other hand, you have choices (including the choice to opt out or fork off a new way of doing things), and you can judge what's good or bad by comparing them.

But what is the reason that government has a negative perception in the US?

Americans are generally smarter and less naive than Europeans.

Some small European countries, that have been among the richest in the world for centuries, are doing OK on a per-capita basis, but that isn't because of their government - it is in spite of it. There is a very long list of reasons why those countries aren't really as successful as they appear, and why that success isn't sustainable in the long-term. Europeans like to nitpick statistics for those countries (some of which are good at different things, like Finland for education, Norway for income, etc) and compare them with USA as a whole. A fair comparison of equivalent economies would not be in EU's favor.

Edited by Alex Libman, 11 September 2011 - 08:24 PM.

#53 Brainbox

• 2,860 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

That is a statement of faith. How do you know they are sound? Compared to what? Government is, by definition, a violent monopoly. Without a frame of reference, you cannot know if something is a "sound principle" or not - it's just pointless conjecture. In a free market, on the other hand, you have choices (including the choice to opt out or fork off a new way of doing things), and you can judge what's good or bad by comparing them.

By having a multi party democracy, with parties that have a certain overlap in position, it IS possible to choose another party in case you are disappointed. Or to create a new political party. To be honest, the latter is somewhat difficult, but definitely possible and has been done successfully several times in the last decade alone.

Another point, that is related, is the ability to take pragmatic decisions without making a whole lot of media fuzz about it. Developing pragmatic compromises seems to be unheard of in the US, because it is probably seen as weakness or defenselessness, that has to be camouflaged by a lot of funny procedures and media circus activities.

I'm discussing this issue more often with US residents, but I find it very remarkable that these obvious properties of a democracy is overlooked all the time. I suspect this is due to some form of cultural "us versus them" dogma.

Some small European countries, that have been among the richest in the world for centuries, are doing OK on a per-capita basis, but that isn't because of their government - it is in spite of it. .....

Maybe it is your view on government qualities that predisposes for this assertion. It is not a problem, it is a feature. And it is an intended feature. See above. Governments must and do have a supportive role. Market initiatives are not originated in EU governments. We are not the USSR.

A fair comparison of equivalent economies would not be in EU's favor.

Could you provide any proof of that? Looking at the current situation, given the US budget deficit and the inability to do something significant about it (because the republicans prefer the US loosing a AAA status over participating in solutions), I think that could very well be doubted. But given the level of economic wealth we both have and the global economic situation, I think this is a typical form of polarization we can do without.

Cheers,
B.

#54 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 08:55 AM

By having a multi party democracy, with parties that have a certain overlap in position, it IS possible to choose another party in case you are disappointed. Or to create a new political party. To be honest, the latter is somewhat difficult, but definitely possible and has been done successfully several times in the last decade alone.

Democracy gives you an illusion of control, like a second steering wheel in the back seat of a car that isn't connected to anything. Idiots get distracted playing with that wheel, like gamblers in a casino, thinking next time things will go their way. It doesn't matter how many directions you can turn the wheel or how many knobs you can pull, you are not the one in the driver's seat of your life.

Another point, that is related, is the ability to take pragmatic decisions without making a whole lot of media fuzz about it. Developing pragmatic compromises seems to be unheard of in the US, because it is probably seen as weakness or defenselessness, that has to be camouflaged by a lot of funny procedures and media circus activities. [...]

The concept of pragmatism, once a uniquely American philosophy, has been hijacked to mean short-term thinking that benefits politicians in the expediency of the coming elections. Compromise is indeed a weakness. When a person who believes that 2+2==3 and another who believes 2+2==4 compromise on 3.5, the result is falsehood that both are forced to live with. A much fairer and more scientifically-affirming system is one where both people are free to inquire and experiment, and both will have to live with the consequences of their own actions.

You talk of "democracy" as if that term means something distinct from any other form of government. Democracy will always vote to go to war or force Socrates to drink hemlock when it suits them. Demagogues will always get more votes than rational people. All of the worst tyrants in history have been massively popular and would win elections in a landslide. Nothing is easier than fooling the dumb majority into voting away their freedoms. Democracy is merely a means of control that is more efficient than monarchism, fascism, or communism when applied to a more educated post-industrialized society.

Could you provide any proof of that? Looking at the current situation, given the US budget deficit and the inability to do something significant about it (because the republicans prefer the US loosing a AAA status over participating in solutions), I think that could very well be doubted. But given the level of economic wealth we both have and the global economic situation, I think this is a typical form of polarization we can do without.

USA is indeed under-performing, in part because the socialists are willing to diminish its credit rating down to European levels by stealing ever-more money so they could offer plebs more bribes and buy their way into power. (USA retains a perfect credit rating with Fitch and Moody's, two out of three major credit rating agencies. It's downgrade with S&P, which is likely to be temporary, still puts it ahead of a sizable fraction of EU, including: Spain, Italy, Poland, Hungary, Iceland, Portugal, the Baltics, etc - and of course Greece. And, on the state level, USA's worst credit liabilities come from its most socialistic member states.)

You will find plenty of examples both here and on other forums (ex), where I go on and on for many pages on how, in an objective comparison, USA blows the European Union out of the water. USA beats EU in fertility (the most important statistic), GDP, income, universities, R&D, innovations, transport, billionaires, individual self-defense capacity, etc. This isn't because USA is magical or anything, just a little bit less socialist than the rest of the world.

But this whole USA-vs-EU / freedom-vs-democracy conversation is irrelevant to the subject of this thread, which is the "drinking age", as if it's some kind of a universal law that must be the same everywhere. The rational answer is that you let parents / schools / local communities decide.

Edited by Alex Libman, 12 September 2011 - 09:28 AM.

#55 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:13 PM

I think drug license would be the best idea, sort of "driving license" for all soft drugs (psilocybe mushrooms, lsd, salvia, cannabis). The main problem is that people aren't aware of problems. For example, people don't know that cannabis can "cause" psychosis and that it has different effect on young people than on adults (it's similar for most drugs). If this is not an option, more education in schools would also be better than nothing - I know we had only one day for drug education in my primary school ... it's practically nothing ...

In my country drinking age is 18, but almost everybody try alcohol and get drunk around age of 15 for the first time. It's no problem to get alcohol, since in my area almost everybody make their own wine or other alcoholic beverages. And they also don't complicate in public places either ... Now we have interesting law: if they caught you driving drunk you go to prison for one night :) (unless you are near your house). I think it's more effective than money penalties (although you still pay it), because you don't want to go to prison anyway ...

#56 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

No man-made law should ever be a coercive monopoly.

There's no need for a universal "driver's license" monopoly - which, BTW, is rather ineffective at present. Private road owners (which would include charter cities, neighborhood associations, local business alliances, non-profits, etc) should be free to decide what policies they require the people who choose to travel on their roads to follow. This would potentially include multiple different driver and vehicle certification standards, different insurance requirements, restrictions on cargo (ex. weapons or drugs), etc - although market pressure would eventually encourage several popular alternatives to be near-universally accepted, like different competing credit cards are accepted at almost every major retailer. Technologies like navigation systems would be able to take road rules into account and avoid ones that don't fit the driver's criteria.

The same would apply to drug policies, including alcohol, and including restrictions based on age. There would be multiple competing drug-retailed certifications -- possibly established by pharmaceutical companies, hospital networks, universities, consumer interest publications, religious and secular charities, etc -- just like there are many different IT skill certifications that a programmer can put on his resume. Different sources of governance would be free to choose different standards on which their policies can be based.

Edited by Alex Libman, 14 September 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#57 hippocampus

• 736 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:18 AM

I don't understand: who has the monopoly? And why is it ineffective?
Most of our roads (Slovenia) are not private but built with state money. So, state has the monopoly but I think this is good because it builds roads that are in national interest and are not always profitable (but they are still needed).
And this monopoly is also effective right because it's a monopoly. Just imagine that everytime you go to another road you had to learn new rules. People can't even remember the same rules everywhere.
What you are saying is like: everybody should have their own rules about murder - the driver's license exist because of our safety not because state would desperately need our money (that's why penalties are for).

#58 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

It's a start. There are only so many commie-lands out there, and most of them have been gradually moving in the direction of greater economic freedom. Countries that achieve a certain criteria of that ranking generally don't fight each-other. China is already a major trading partner for most countries in the world, including the most peaceful ones.

You should make up your mind. Here you suggest that China will likely not become a physical threat thanks to economic entanglments, yet up-thread you linked to FSP forum, where you put articles like "China expanding its nuclear stockpile", "China's military catching up to the West, Pentagon says" and even "China-Russia alliance would create New World Order".

Either way, I think it's naive to believe that the Chinese rulling caste have their hearts in any particular ideology, be it Communism or Free Marketism, and are anything but pragmatic (did you know that they've been consistently raising the minimum wage to keep the workers appeaced ?). They will easily take up Scientology tomorrow if it ever proves useful. Besides, such dreams of eternal peace through commerce had already been alive once in XIX century, and managed to die a loud death around 1914.

And there is also another explanation why developed countries in general don't fight each other - it's the level of their democrativeness, not necesarilly their economic freedom, altough obviously they may be closely related (Democratic Peace Theory).

First of all, you have your recent history backwards. NATO-backed Georgia initiated aggression against South Ossetia, where the overwhelming majority of people want to secede and be a part of Russia. People should boycott Georgia instead! I know it's strange to hear me defending Putinist Russia, but I have to call them as I see them. (And that's not what this thread is about.)

Secondly, I was talking about a freer and more rational society, which can be achieved organically after a gradual transition process - not the world as it exists today. People don't think for themselves, they just bicker whether the red or the blue team of politicians should do their thinking for them. In a more rational society, people would be talking about things that actually make a difference, like consumer activism, aggression insurance, research funding, and charity.

Irrelevant of who really fired the first round in that war, the mainstream public perception leaned towards Russia being the agressor. If your gradualist social Libertarian theory held water, we would have seen already some boycotts of Russian goods at least in US, as it is the most Libertarian spirited Western nation today. Has this happened ? Not that I would know about it.

Americans are generally smarter and less naive than Europeans.

Haha, I'll see your trolling, and raise you with:

- if you go with the more broadly accepted proxy for "smart" being the IQ number (not your autistic definiton where "smartness = the degree to which one supports Libertarianism"), then this is not the case: according to one source - average American IQ stands at around 98, below many European countries (also, Finnish kids do the best on PISA tests from all Western nations).

- Europe has a higher level of atheists, and Europeans have generally more relaxed attitudes towards issues like sexuality and drug use, and I would say they are less susceptible to various kinds of moral panic too.

USA beats EU in fertility (the most important statistic)

Why is it the most important ? Some of the most livable countries also happen to have lesser populations.

For example the more potential employees there is, the more interchangeable they become ------> wages fall.

And Germany's negative trend may be on its way to a reversal. Similarily France hasn't been doing bad in that department in last years, and both have had active state ecouragement for motherhood (subsidizing day care etc.), Germany in particular since 2006.

income

"Income slides to 1996 levels"

GDP

I am guilty myself of falling for this, but let's keep in mind that GDP can be quite a misleading indicator when you want to measure overall standards of living.

On the World Bank table your eye is immediately caught by Trinidad & Tobago being ranked as number 6 (above Norway). But, If you follow up on their economy you will learn that in 2011 they were classified as 97 (out of 183 countries) in Ease of Doing Bussiness.

On the table from CIA Factbook you have Bermudas and Andorra ranking high as well, which shows that you can have a beautiful GDP simply by virtue of being a tax-heaven without an economy that actually makes stuff.

R&D

How much of that is generated by Faschizoids in Pentagon ?

innovations

The "overall" column reads :

1. Singapore
2. Switzerland
3. South Korea
4. Iceland
5. Finland
6. Hong - Kong
7. Ireland
8. Japan
9. United States
10. Sweden

Am I missing something from your argument ?

Also, scroll a little down and you will see Trinidad and Tobago (which we remember has a high GDP) ranked in innovativeness below Greece.

Plus, I would point out the non-trivial role of Singaporean goverment's support for STEM sectors.

universities

I have to give you that. Yet, how many of the graduates will later strengthen Asian economies instead of the American ?

transport

This may very well be just a difference in transporation cultures, so to speak. As I am told, in US buses and trams are the province of the less affluent, and in many places (like L.A.) it is virtually impossible to be productive without being able to use a car on daily basis.

In Europe probably more people use public infrastructure + more people ride bicycles + more people walk (the middle class still often both lives and works in city centers) + there isn't a comparable car cult as in America.

I have a driver's licence, but I so far I haven't really needed it for anything happening regularily - I've used public transport to get to my highschool, university, and now work (with the added benefit of getting to read and ogle women at the same time).

billionaires

Great, what about them ? The second and third places are occupied by the Crony - Capitalist China and Russia, pretty un-hospitable places if you're not one of the said billionaires, this indicator doesn't mean all that much for the guy on the street.

And the number of Americans on the road to rags has been on the raise too.

individual self-defense capacity

This is just your idelological pet cause much disconnected from what we're talking about. Why you would take pride in being listed right next with Serbia and Yemen is beyond me. Appart from US and Switzerland (where BTW you get a gun from the government), the beginning is pretty much a "places you don't want to be" list, with the high gun ownership being the direct effect of deeper political problems.

And with this I shall end the off-topic argument on my part.

As for the poll - I think whenever you're old enough to vote and be drafted, you should be allowed to drink alcohol.

Edited by chris w, 15 September 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#59 chris w

• 740 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:05 PM

I don't understand: who has the monopoly? And why is it ineffective?

You're new here, the whole Alex Libman Experience is still before you, son. :cool:

#60 Dirk_Diggler

• Validating/Suspended
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

I think until marijuana is legal, this shouldn't even be a pressing concern. I think education is the best policy in terms of mind-altering substances. Gun enthusiasts always scream "we have the right to bear arms,..it's in the constitution" but forget that the right to pursue happiness is infinged upon when the government tells us what we can and what we can't put into our bodies.
  • like x 1

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users