Photo
* * * * * 19 votes

Cerebrolysin

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2208 replies to this topic

#1 NootropicEU

• 214 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:42 PM

I was recommended to try Cerebrolysin by one of my friends. Apparently its effects on healthy individuals are really noticeable. It is generally well tolerated nootropic. Medical research documents on Cerebrolysin look very impressive. Luckily I can get it for a relatively cheap price, so I guess I will try it next month. The only disadvantage is the administration method. It has to be injected. However, intramuscular injections can be used for doses up to 5 ml (it's enough for healthy individuals). We all know that intramuscular injections are very simple...

Cerebrolysin®

A company called Ebewe in the Germanic country of Austria has developed and gained approval for their injectable product called Cerebrolysin® (CRB).

What makes CRB interesting is that it is specifically aimed at delaying the progression of AD; this is unusual in-itself because the current approved medications, (donepezil and memantine) are merely targeted at improving the symptoms and some of the disease outcomes.

CRB is also different because it can be considered to be the first natural approach to AD. CRB is peptide based, being very careful obtained by standardised enzymatic processes from purified brain proteins and aminoacids (of porcine origin).

CRB is designed to help support the function of neurons. This type of approach is known as neurotrophic and CRB being a neurotrophic factor appears to help support and maintain a number of neurons including those of serotonin, choline (related to Ach) and noradrenaline origin.

Action

What this means, is that CRB appears to be able to except a growth like factor on neurons, particularly those from the dorsal root ganglia. Plus, CRB appears to affect synaptic responses in the hippocampus, the region of the brain believed responsible for the deposit of memories. In other words, Cerebrolysin® helps to maintain and support these vital repair processes in the brain.

In addition, Cerebrolysin® has been shown to decrease amyloid-beta production in the brain. These are the so-called Alzheimer plagues that are seen in the post mortem examinations of AD autopsies. As these plagues are strongly correlated with the damage of AD, their control or reduction may be viewed as a highly significant benefit.

Furthermore, there is even some evidence that CRB can decrease the rate of apoptosis (the rate of cell death), a factor that could be linked to the slowing of the progression of the disease.

Clinical trials

Now that 80 trials have been completed on more than 5000 patients with AD, CRB can be considered to be well tested.

The studies highlight that those patients suffering from mild to moderate AD, that when treated with I.M. or I.V. infusions of CRB each day for 5 days a week, over a period of 4 weeks, that there was a significant improvement in cognitive measurements, even after just the first 4 initial weeks. What's more, Dr. E. Ruether, one of the doctors involved in the trials, noted that these improvements remained stable for up to 6-months- even after cessation of the therapy.

In more human terms this means that there are improvements in the activities of daily living, with the patients being able to do more by themselves, with far less assistance etc. Furthermore, when compared to the placebo patients in the trials, the CRB treated patients retained their improved cognitive measurements, even at month 7, whereas the placebo patients had clearly deteriorated during this same period.

Safety

To date, no known toxicity or safety concerns have been reported. Side effects during treatment have been rare and generally limited to dizziness, headache and heat sensations, although it is possible that these effects are related to the injection or I.V. being given "too quickly."

Potential contraindications appear to be limited to individual hypersensitivity, severe renal conditions and epilepsy.

Dosage

The normal dose pattern appears to be a 5 ml ampoule injected, (intramuscularly or intravenously) each day for 5-days (e.g. Monday-Friday) and repeated for a period of 4-weeks. Then after a 2-month period free from treatment the program is cycled again as necessary. Therefore, four packages each containing 5x 5ml ampoules are normally enough for 3-months at a time.

Summary

CRB is a unique departure for approved drugs for AD for the following reasons:
1. Firstly it is aimed at the prevention/ slowing the progression of the disease rather than alleviation of specific symptoms.
2. Secondly it does not merely improve Ach levels, but rather enhances overall neuronal condition.
3. Thirdly, it can be considered to be a more natural approach, because rather than the current drugs, it is formed from natural brain proteins.
4. It has far fewer side effects and contraindications than the existing therapies.
Overall, CRB has been shown to help modify the course of AD and delay its progression leading to a stabilising effect on AD patients.
All of this appears to have been achieved with very few side effects and contraindications which makes CRB a welcome addition to the armoury in the fight against the plague that is Alzheimer's disease.

References

1. Rockenstein E, Torrance M, Mante M, Adame A, Paulino A, Rose JB, Crews L, Moessler H, Masliah E "Cerebrolysin decreases amyloid-beta production by regulating amyloid precursor maturation in a transgenic model of Alzheimer's disease" J. Neurosci. Res. (2006) May 15;83 (7) 1252-61
2. Masliah E, Armasolo F, Veinbergs I, et al., "Cerebrolysin ameliorates performance deficits and neuronal damage in apolipoprotein E deficient mice." Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. (1999), 62 (2): 00 239-245
3. Jonhagen ME, "Nerve growth factor treatment in dementia" Alzheimer disease and associated disorders (2000), 14: S31-38
4. Ruether E, Ritter R, Apecehea M, et al. "Efficacy of the peptide nootropic drug Cerebrolysin in patients with senile dementia of the Alzheimer type," Pharmacopsychiatry (1994), 27 (1), pp 32-40
5. Xiao S, Yan H, Yao P, "Efficacy of Cerebrolysin in patients with Alzheimer's disease" Clin. Drug Invest (2000), 19 (1): pp 43-53
6. Ruether E, Ritter R, Apecehea M, et al. "Sustained improvement in patients with dementia of Alzheimer's type 6-months after cessation of Cerebrolysin therapy" J. Neural. Trans. (2000), 107 pp 815-829
7. Bae CY, Cho CY, Cho K, et al. "A double blind, placebo controlled, multicenter study of Cerebrolysin for Alzheimer's disease" J. Am. Ger. Soc. (2000), 48 pp 1566-1571
8. Alvarez X, Moessler H, "Efficacy of Cerebrolysin in moderate to moderately severely Alzheimer's disease" In. Vellas B (ed), research and practice in Alzheimer's disease, Serdi, Paris (2001), pp 179-186
9. Ruether E, Husmann R, Kinzler E, et al, "A 28 week, double blind, placebo controlled study with Cerebrolysin in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease" Int. Clin. Psycopharm. (2001), 16 pp 253-263
10. Panisset M, Gauthier S, Moessler H, et al. "Cerebrolysin in Alzheimer's disease; a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial with a neurotrophic agent" J. Neural. Transm. (2002)
11. Rainer M, Brunnbauer M, Dunky A, et al. "Therapuetic results with Cerebrolysin in the treatment of dementia" Wiener Medizinische Wochenschrift (1997), 147 pp 426-431.
12. Alvvarez XA, Cacabelos R, Laredo M, Couceiro V, Sampedro C, Varela M, Corzo L, Fernandex-Nopvoa L, Vargas M, Aleixandre M, Linarges C, Granizo E, Muresanu D, Moessler H, "A double blind, placebo controlled study of three dosages of Cerebrolysin in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease" Eue. J. Neurol. 2006 Jan 1;13 (1) 43-54

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#2 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 07:00 PM

I was recommended to try Cerebrolysin by one of my friends. Apparently its effects on healthy individuals are really noticeable. It is generally well tolerated nootropic. Medical research documents on Cerebrolysin look very impressive. Luckily I can get it for a relatively cheap price, so I guess I will try it next month. The only disadvantage is the administration method. It has to be injected. However, intramuscular injections can be used for doses up to 5 ml (it's enough for healthy individuals). We all know that intramuscular injections are very simple...

Cerebrolysin®

A company called Ebewe in the Germanic country of Austria has developed and gained approval for their injectable product called Cerebrolysin® (CRB).

What makes CRB interesting is that it is specifically aimed at delaying the progression of AD; this is unusual in-itself because the current approved medications, (donepezil and memantine) are merely targeted at improving the symptoms and some of the disease outcomes.

CRB is also different because it can be considered to be the first natural approach to AD. CRB is peptide based, being very careful obtained by standardised enzymatic processes from purified brain proteins and aminoacids (of porcine origin).

CRB is designed to help support the function of neurons. This type of approach is known as neurotrophic and CRB being a neurotrophic factor appears to help support and maintain a number of neurons including those of serotonin, choline (related to Ach) and noradrenaline origin.

Action

What this means, is that CRB appears to be able to except a growth like factor on neurons, particularly those from the dorsal root ganglia. Plus, CRB appears to affect synaptic responses in the hippocampus, the region of the brain believed responsible for the deposit of memories. In other words, Cerebrolysin® helps to maintain and support these vital repair processes in the brain.

In addition, Cerebrolysin® has been shown to decrease amyloid-beta production in the brain. These are the so-called Alzheimer plagues that are seen in the post mortem examinations of AD autopsies. As these plagues are strongly correlated with the damage of AD, their control or reduction may be viewed as a highly significant benefit.

Furthermore, there is even some evidence that CRB can decrease the rate of apoptosis (the rate of cell death), a factor that could be linked to the slowing of the progression of the disease.

Clinical trials

Now that 80 trials have been completed on more than 5000 patients with AD, CRB can be considered to be well tested.

The studies highlight that those patients suffering from mild to moderate AD, that when treated with I.M. or I.V. infusions of CRB each day for 5 days a week, over a period of 4 weeks, that there was a significant improvement in cognitive measurements, even after just the first 4 initial weeks. What's more, Dr. E. Ruether, one of the doctors involved in the trials, noted that these improvements remained stable for up to 6-months- even after cessation of the therapy.

In more human terms this means that there are improvements in the activities of daily living, with the patients being able to do more by themselves, with far less assistance etc. Furthermore, when compared to the placebo patients in the trials, the CRB treated patients retained their improved cognitive measurements, even at month 7, whereas the placebo patients had clearly deteriorated during this same period.

Safety

To date, no known toxicity or safety concerns have been reported. Side effects during treatment have been rare and generally limited to dizziness, headache and heat sensations, although it is possible that these effects are related to the injection or I.V. being given "too quickly."

Potential contraindications appear to be limited to individual hypersensitivity, severe renal conditions and epilepsy.

Dosage

The normal dose pattern appears to be a 5 ml ampoule injected, (intramuscularly or intravenously) each day for 5-days (e.g. Monday-Friday) and repeated for a period of 4-weeks. Then after a 2-month period free from treatment the program is cycled again as necessary. Therefore, four packages each containing 5x 5ml ampoules are normally enough for 3-months at a time.

Summary

1. Firstly it is aimed at the prevention/ slowing the progression of the disease rather than alleviation of specific symptoms.
2. Secondly it does not merely improve Ach levels, but rather enhances overall neuronal condition.
3. Thirdly, it can be considered to be a more natural approach, because rather than the current drugs, it is formed from natural brain proteins.
4. It has far fewer side effects and contraindications than the existing therapies.
Overall, CRB has been shown to help modify the course of AD and delay its progression leading to a stabilising effect on AD patients.
All of this appears to have been achieved with very few side effects and contraindications which makes CRB a welcome addition to the armoury in the fight against the plague that is Alzheimer's disease.

References

1. Rockenstein E, Torrance M, Mante M, Adame A, Paulino A, Rose JB, Crews L, Moessler H, Masliah E "Cerebrolysin decreases amyloid-beta production by regulating amyloid precursor maturation in a transgenic model of Alzheimer's disease" J. Neurosci. Res. (2006) May 15;83 (7) 1252-61
2. Masliah E, Armasolo F, Veinbergs I, et al., "Cerebrolysin ameliorates performance deficits and neuronal damage in apolipoprotein E deficient mice." Pharmacol. Biochem. Behav. (1999), 62 (2): 00 239-245
3. Jonhagen ME, "Nerve growth factor treatment in dementia" Alzheimer disease and associated disorders (2000), 14: S31-38
4. Ruether E, Ritter R, Apecehea M, et al. "Efficacy of the peptide nootropic drug Cerebrolysin in patients with senile dementia of the Alzheimer type," Pharmacopsychiatry (1994), 27 (1), pp 32-40
5. Xiao S, Yan H, Yao P, "Efficacy of Cerebrolysin in patients with Alzheimer's disease" Clin. Drug Invest (2000), 19 (1): pp 43-53
6. Ruether E, Ritter R, Apecehea M, et al. "Sustained improvement in patients with dementia of Alzheimer's type 6-months after cessation of Cerebrolysin therapy" J. Neural. Trans. (2000), 107 pp 815-829
7. Bae CY, Cho CY, Cho K, et al. "A double blind, placebo controlled, multicenter study of Cerebrolysin for Alzheimer's disease" J. Am. Ger. Soc. (2000), 48 pp 1566-1571
8. Alvarez X, Moessler H, "Efficacy of Cerebrolysin in moderate to moderately severely Alzheimer's disease" In. Vellas B (ed), research and practice in Alzheimer's disease, Serdi, Paris (2001), pp 179-186
9. Ruether E, Husmann R, Kinzler E, et al, "A 28 week, double blind, placebo controlled study with Cerebrolysin in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease" Int. Clin. Psycopharm. (2001), 16 pp 253-263
10. Panisset M, Gauthier S, Moessler H, et al. "Cerebrolysin in Alzheimer's disease; a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled trial with a neurotrophic agent" J. Neural. Transm. (2002)
11. Rainer M, Brunnbauer M, Dunky A, et al. "Therapuetic results with Cerebrolysin in the treatment of dementia" Wiener Medizinische Wochenschrift (1997), 147 pp 426-431.
12. Alvvarez XA, Cacabelos R, Laredo M, Couceiro V, Sampedro C, Varela M, Corzo L, Fernandex-Nopvoa L, Vargas M, Aleixandre M, Linarges C, Granizo E, Muresanu D, Moessler H, "A double blind, placebo controlled study of three dosages of Cerebrolysin in patients with mild to moderate Alzheimer's disease" Eue. J. Neurol. 2006 Jan 1;13 (1) 43-54

Why would you subject yourself to injecting something IM when there are alternatives that can be taken orally? Your like 19 years old isnt injecting Cerebrolysin a little extreme?
  • dislike x 10
  • like x 6

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 10:39 PM

Cerebrolysin®

Action

Clinical trials

Safety

Dosage

Summary

References

Why would you subject yourself to injecting something IM when there are alternatives that can be taken orally? Your like 19 years old isnt injecting Cerebrolysin a little extreme?

Your guess about my age is wrong, however it's nice to hear that. Don't judge on the picture made long time ago.
I don't see intramuscular injections of Cerebrolysin (which is as safe as piracetam) extreme. There are no Cerebrolysin alternatives which can be taken orally except N-PEP-12(MemoProve) which is a derivative of Cerebrolysin and it is much less potent. Correct me if I am wrong.

Effects of N-PEP-12 on memory among older adults.

Crook TH, Ferris SH, Alvarez XA, Laredo M, Moessler H.

Psychologix, Inc., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33308, USA. tcrook@psychologix.com

N-PEP-12 is a derivative of cerebrolysin, a brain-derived neuropeptide compound that has been approved for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease (AD) in more than 30 countries. N-PEP-12 is much less potent than cerebrolysin but it can be administered orally whereas the parent compound must be administered through multiple intravenous infusions. This study was undertaken to determine whether N-PEP-12 is effective in improving memory and other cognitive abilities among healthy older adults who have experienced 'normal' age-related memory loss. Subjects were 54 males and females, aged 50 years and older, who presented both subjective and objective evidence of memory loss since early adulthood. The study was a fully randomized, double-blind comparison of N-PEP-12 and placebo. Cognitive assessments were performed at baseline and following 30 days of treatment. The primary outcome measure was the Alzheimer's Disease Assessment Scale-Cognitive (ADAS-cog) Memory score, with the Syndrom Kurz Test (SKT) test, digit cancellation, digit span, verbal fluency and clinical ratings as secondary outcomes. N-PEP-12 treated subjects performed better than placebo-treated subjects on the ADAS-cog Memory score, the SKT, clinical ratings and some, but not other tests. N-PEP-12 may be an effective treatment for memory loss in healthy older adults.

Publication Types:

* Clinical Trial
* Randomized Controlled Trial

PMID: 15729085 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• Informative x 1

#4 tlm884

• 597 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:03 PM

Unless there is a need to take Cerbrolysin, why the hell would you want to turn yourself into a pin cushion?
  • dislike x 14
  • like x 2

#5 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 11:35 PM

Unless there is a need to take Cerbrolysin, why the hell would you want to turn yourself into a pin cushion?

If you find intramuscular injections to be extreme that's your opinion. Leave it to your self. Thank you.

This topic was not about your personal phobias. I don't see the need to continue our useless conversation here, it just spams the forum...
  • like x 18
  • dislike x 2
  • Agree x 1

#6 TheLorax

• 29 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:17 AM

Sales pitch?
  • dislike x 4
  • like x 3
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#7 VespeneGas

• 600 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 06:17 AM

I would be interested to hear your experiences with this product. My unsolicited advice is to proceed with caution. Update us when you get it!
  • like x 3
  • Agree x 1

#8 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 07:32 AM

Post your experiences please. Curious minds want to know.
  • like x 3

#9 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 02:48 AM

If you find intramuscular injections to be extreme that's your opinion. Leave it to your self. Thank you.

This topic was not about your personal phobias. I don't see the need to continue our useless conversation here, it just spams the forum...

I agree. And, don't forget to update us on your progress with the drug!

Edited by Ben - Aus, 08 March 2009 - 02:49 AM.

• like x 2

#10 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 11:59 PM

Alot of this Russian stuff, I haven't heard of before.

I'd be interested in hearing if you've ever tried this Anony4mous?

I see that there's a way to order this out of Russia (www.1010pharmacy.com) or the UK (www.antiaging-systems.com). There's probably a few others too...
  • Informative x 1

#11 TophetLOL

• 88 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

Drugs-Pro also has the 10ml vials

http://www.drugs-pro...lysin-10ml.html

Never heard of them of before. Anyone use them before?

http://www.networkso...h/drugs-pro.com

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: DRUGS-PRO.COM
Created on: 28-Oct-05
Expires on: 28-Oct-09
Last Updated on: 03-Oct-07

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration DRUGS-PRO.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration DRUGS-PRO.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.DRUGS-PRO.COM
NS2.DRUGS-PRO.COM

#12 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 05:26 AM

They could be a pharmacy using a (cheap?) website or some guy slapping labels on bottles working in his garage. :)

For real though, I don't know what to make of this stuff. Looking at the domain information, I don't really know what to read into other than that this particular site has been around for 4 years. However, they do offer multiple ways to contact them (by phone or by e-mail), seem to keep a large stock, offer worldwide shipping, and accept multiple methods of payment. This place seems to have the edge in terms of pricing though (and the 10 ml vials of course).

Edited by yowza, 28 March 2009 - 05:44 AM.

#13 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

I see that there's a way to order this out of Russia (www.1010pharmacy.com) or the UK (www.antiaging-systems.com). There's probably a few others too...

As I mentioned earlier I will try this as soon as I finish my bottle of SEMAX. I don't want to use both drugs at the same time...

Btw, 1010pharmacy is very expensive. I was able to get it for about 33 USD in one of the EU countries, they did not even ask a prescription for it..

1010pharmacy price is - Cerebrolysin ( injection) 5 ml / 1076 mg #5 - 78 USD.... And there are couple of manufacturers in South Korea. One if them is kunwha.com

Edited by anony4mous, 29 March 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#14 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 11:31 PM

Great! In the meantime, it would be interesting to hear if you notice any type of effect from taking Semax?

#15 zkt1

• 3 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

As I mentioned earlier I will try this as soon as I finish my bottle of SEMAX. I don't want to use both drugs at the same time...

Btw, 1010pharmacy is very expensive. I was able to get it for about 33 USD in one of the EU countries, they did not even ask a prescription for it..

1010pharmacy price is - Cerebrolysin ( injection) 5 ml / 1076 mg #5 - 78 USD.... And there are couple of manufacturers in South Korea. One if them is kunwha.com

I ran into this forum while researching MCI on Pubmed. Glad I did. Of all the suppliers mentioned above which one do you recommend- kunwha.com. Also have you checked out 3GChemist for this ?
Thanks for the info. Keep us updated, as will I on this matter.

#16 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 01:22 PM

I had 5 ml injection of Cerebrolysin this morning. I can't really say anything yet because this dose is very small and it takes at least couple of days to start feeling the effect. However I know many people who have used it and I was told that it is worth the money. It's widely used in Europe for dementia and stroke treatment. Clinical trials show that Cerebrolysin can increase cognitive performance in healthy individuals :)
  • like x 2

#17 TophetLOL

• 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:22 AM

How would you rate the pain of the injection in comparison to saline?

#18 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:49 PM

Saline is usually used for intravenous infusions. I was surprised that intramuscular injection of Cerebrolysin is completely painless. Couple of minutes after the injection I could not even feel that I had it. Apparently it gets absorbed into the muscle tissue quickly, unlike oil based solutions :) However, you can only inject up to 5 ml intramuscularly. But I guess it is enough for healthy individuals :)

#19 blazewind

• 77 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Saline is usually used for intravenous infusions. I was surprised that intramuscular injection of Cerebrolysin is completely painless. Couple of minutes after the injection I could not even feel that I had it. Apparently it gets absorbed into the muscle tissue quickly, unlike oil based solutions :) However, you can only inject up to 5 ml intramuscularly. But I guess it is enough for healthy individuals :)

Do the people you know who take it take it on the 5x a week/4week then 2 months off schedule, or do they take it everyday, or another schedule?

Also does anyone know why this is not prescribed for everyday?

Glad to know it painless.

Has anyone found any other sources besides prodrug or 1010pharmacy that will ship to US?

As prodrug has 10ml vials, can you use each vial for 2 different injections?

#20 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:55 PM

Do the people you know who take it take it on the 5x a week/4week then 2 months off schedule, or do they take it everyday, or another schedule?

Has anyone found any other sources besides prodrug or 1010pharmacy that will ship to US?

I mentioned anti-aging systems up above as well.

There are a number of different API manufacturers over in China that sell both bulk and finished product as well as a few others. I've heard back from somebody today in regards to a price quote.

For injections, you can always order some EMNA cream to apply to the skin to numb the skin but this isn't really needed. Alot of these needles are not very long so subcutoneous administeration really isn't that much of a problem. The upper right or upper left part of the buttox, below the hip bone where there's some fatty tissue, is the best place to do the injection as doing it in the lower part of the buttox can hit the sciatic nerve (although this isn't a problem with short needles I wouldn't attempt doing it here).

Placing an injection in the buttox is the best place if looking for slow dispersal over a period of days since the injection needs to get through fatty tissue. If done in the arm or leg, it would more likely be intramuscularly and the injectable substance would be absorbed right away. So placing it in either location has it's advantages/disadvantages.

Edited by yowza, 16 April 2009 - 11:58 PM.

#21 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:00 AM

There are a number of different API manufacturers over in China that sell both bulk and finished product as well as a few others. I've heard back from somebody today in regards to a price quote.

For injections, you can always order some EMNA cream to apply to the skin to numb the skin but this isn't really needed. Alot of these needles are not very long so subcutoneous administeration really isn't that much of a problem. The upper right or upper left part of the buttox, below the hip bone where there's some fatty tissue, is the best place to do the injection as doing it in the lower part of the buttox can hit the sciatic nerve (although this isn't a problem with short needles I wouldn't attempt doing it here).

Placing an injection in the buttox is the best place if looking for slow dispersal over a period of days since the injection needs to get through fatty tissue. If done in the arm or leg, it would more likely be intramuscularly and the injectable substance would be absorbed right away. So placing it in either location has it's advantages/disadvantages.

Cerebrolysin has to be injected intravenously or intramuscularly. It cannot be injected into the fatty tissue. An intramuscular (IM) injection is a shot where the needle goes into the muscle layer under the skin to deliver medicine. IM injections are deeper than subcutaneous injections (given under the skin). Parts of the Body Involved - Upper arm, Top of the thigh, Buttocks (most common and recommended for 5 ml cerebrolysin injections).

A needle passes through skin and fat layers into the muscle fibers to deliver medicine.
Posted Image

I am not advising anyone to do this if you have never done it before. You should consult your doctor or ask someone who is experienced to do the injection for you.
  • like x 1

#22 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

Cerebrolysin has to be injected intravenously or intramuscularly. It cannot be injected into the fatty tissue. An intramuscular (IM) injection is a shot where the needle goes into the muscle layer under the skin to deliver medicine. IM injections are deeper than subcutaneous injections (given under the skin). Parts of the Body Involved - Upper arm, Top of the thigh, Buttocks (most common and recommended for 5 ml cerebrolysin injections).

A needle passes through skin and fat layers into the muscle fibers to deliver medicine.
Posted Image

I am not advising anyone to do this if you have never done it before. You should consult your doctor or ask someone who is experienced to do the injection for you.

How long is the needle?

If you're not supposed to inject it into fatty tissue, injecting into the buttox may create an issue if the needle is not long enough. There are a number of videos on youtube that show people injecting B12 that may give some indication in terms of intramuscular technique, which I think is much easier to do than intravenous injection (this may be abit more tricky since you'd need to actually aim for a vein, which probably isn't a good idea if doing it yourself at least in my opinion).

The front part of the thigh, in my opinion, would be a good spot to do an intramuscular injection as this isn't too painful. Here's someone administering a B12 shot (just for illustrative purposes) in the thigh:
Note they keep it away from the sides (very important not to do the shot where an artery is obviously) and firmly on top of the muscle area.

Edited by yowza, 17 April 2009 - 01:50 AM.

#23 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:12 AM

Posted Image

How long is the needle?

If you're not supposed to inject it into fatty tissue, injecting into the buttox may create an issue if the needle is not long enough. There are a number of videos on youtube that show people injecting B12 that may give some indication in terms of intramuscular technique, which I think is much easier to do than intravenous injection (this may be abit more tricky since you'd need to actually aim for a vein, which probably isn't a good idea if doing it yourself at least in my opinion).

The front part of the thigh, in my opinion, would be a good spot to do an intramuscular injection as this isn't too painful. Here's someone administering a B12 shot (just for illustrative purposes) in the thigh:
Note they keep it away from the sides (very important not to do the shot where an artery is obviously) and firmly on top of the muscle area.

The needle is not short. Safest, easiest and the most common IM injection place for Cerebrolysin is buttox. I mentioned earlier that it is not a good idea to try it yourself if you are not experienced. If someone still wants to do it, this is not the best place to discuss about IM injections, there is enough information on the net :) This video shows everything you need to know.

Attached Files

#24 StrangeAeons

• Guest, F@H
  • 732 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:59 AM

Ho boy are we off topic. I trained in IM injection for my paramedic class and have done it a few times, though it is not an oft used skill in the field (too slow, IV is usually preferable). The needles in IM are typically 1.5"-2" if I recall correctly. Don't forget to aspirate a little once you're all the way in! If you get blood return in the syringe you could well be in a vessel, and then you'd get more than you bargained for.
That said, there is significant risk of nerve damage and possibly embolus if you're not sure what you're doing, and I'm not comfortable saying a video on the internet is good enough instruction. Ideally have somebody trained show you how. As for subcutaneous, it's a much more benign injection process. Those of you with insulin dependent diabetic relatives (or relatives on Lovenox) can ask to let you practice giving them injections.

I'd like to hear a little more on the effects of this stuff, though.

#25 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:12 AM

Ho boy are we off topic. I trained in IM injection for my paramedic class and have done it a few times, though it is not an oft used skill in the field (too slow, IV is usually preferable). The needles in IM are typically 1.5"-2" if I recall correctly. Don't forget to aspirate a little once you're all the way in! If you get blood return in the syringe you could well be in a vessel, and then you'd get more than you bargained for.
That said, there is significant risk of nerve damage and possibly embolus if you're not sure what you're doing, and I'm not comfortable saying a video on the internet is good enough instruction. Ideally have somebody trained show you how. As for subcutaneous, it's a much more benign injection process. Those of you with insulin dependent diabetic relatives (or relatives on Lovenox) can ask to let you practice giving them injections.

I'd like to hear a little more on the effects of this stuff, though.

Substances like B12 are mainly administered in fatty tissue due to the fact that any excess is usually dumped out of your system(the reason the urine would maybe change color due to the dye from the shot). However, for nootropics like Cerebrolysin I can see why you'd want to avoid this route so that you can ensure it's absorbed right away (something I'm glad you clarified anony4mous).

I can definitely see why IV injections are the preferable option for administering Cerebrolysin. The problem is that there's alot more risk involved with this, which would mean going through the hassle of having to schedule an appointment and pay about $50 (not counting the expensive initial visit) to get this administered.

If administering Cerebrolysin alone (without trained experience), Intramuscular injections should minimize the risk of embolism. Usually buying pre-filled syringes (or ampoules) and tapping on the side helps minimize the chance of air bubbles. Another good technique is to store stuff in the fridge at the right temperature (so syringes don't freeze).

In terms of nerve damage, this shouldn't be too much of a problem providing that someone isn't injecting themselves in the wrong area (hitting the sciatic nerve in the lower buttox for instance). A general rule of thumb when administering it oneself (at least in my opinion, correct me if I'm wrong) is to avoid injecting oneself on any joints or anywhere on the torso (aim for the limbs instead). Beyond this, it's just using common sense in terms of not hitting a major artery (http://amica_tempori...iovascular.html) or major nerve area (http://www.nfra.net/..._neuro_exam.htm).

Anyway, back to topic, hopefully there'll be more people here that try this to see if Cerebrolysin actually works. Like Blazewind asked, I'm also kind of wondering why this isn't prescribed for everyday?

Edited by yowza, 17 April 2009 - 05:18 AM.

#26 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:47 AM

Maybe I skipped over, but is subcutaneous administration effective with this compound? I saw that Petakiarose mentioned it, but would it yield similar bioavailability to intramuscular?

#27 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 05:52 AM

Here's some pricing information I got from a supplier for both bulk and finished product of cerebrolysin:

Our best price for bulk cerebrolysin is USD28/L FOB Shanghai.(MOQ: 100L)
Cerebrolysin(injection) is USD0.3/Ampoule(5ml/ampoule) FOB Shanghai. (MOQ: 20000ampoules)

This is the first price quote that I've ever recieved where I'm confused by it.

#28 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 17 April 2009 - 06:02 AM

Here's some pricing information I got from a supplier for both bulk and finished product of cerebrolysin:

Cerebrolysin(injection) is USD0.3/Ampoule(5ml/ampoule) FOB Shanghai. (MOQ: 20000ampoules)

2800 dollars minimum order for non-ampule liquid. 28 x 100L - Minimum order quantity. Ampule service of course costs more in the same respects.

#29 yowza

• 283 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 02:21 AM

2800 dollars minimum order for non-ampule liquid. 28 x 100L - Minimum order quantity. Ampule service of course costs more in the same respects.

Thanks. For finished product, it would appear they're asking for $6000 for 20,000 ampoules (if it were about 30 cents an ampoule).

As for the reason for why Cerebrolysine isn't offered every day? My best guess is to prevent the possibility of abnormal cell growth? (this is just a reason I'm throwing out there to see if it sticks).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 NootropicEU

• Topic Starter
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 12:52 AM

It has been a while since I have started taking cerebrolysin. Initial dose was 5 ml, I increased it to 10 ml couple of days ago. To be honest, I did not feel much the day I have started using cerebrolysin. I have been taking many other supplements as well, so I could not judge the effects accurately.

It's the second day I take cerebrolysin only. The effect is very interesting, I wake up very energetic, my sensitivity to caffeine has increased a lot. A cup of espresso is too much for me.

Cerebrolysin appears to have some kind of antidepressant / anti-anxiety effect. I have never used anxiolytics or antidepressants before but I noticed that I don't feel depressed or anxious under extremely stressful situations. I had trouble getting asleep as well, but now I just go to my bed and I get asleep in 10-15 mins.

Cerebrolysin probably does not have a typical antidepressant / anxiolytic affect. I guess that you can only notice the effect of cerebrolysin if you have to undergo extremely high workload, stressful situations... I simply don't get tired and I can relax much easier after any stressful event :)

This nootropic is one of those which have a very pronounced effect and it scares me :) To be honest, it is one of the reasons I will not continue taking cerebrolysin. Nobody knows what are the long term effects of this drug. I am a healthy individual, so I don't see any need to take a risk and use it any longer. However it was a positive experience :)
  • like x 2
  • dislike x 1
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users