• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

How bad is it to eat right before work-out?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eugene

• 96 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 10:25 PM

I've noticed a pattern. Almost every time i fail to go to the gym is due to having to wait 2 hours before work out. Very often i am too hungry to go work out and do not have 2 hours to wait so i end up not going. For example often there is a party in 2 hours and if i wait and then work out i will miss it.

Can i just ignore the rule and go ahead eat followed by work out? If i eat before work out can it be ~400 calories? Thanks!

#2 Shepard

• Member, Director, Moderator
  • 6,360 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:56 AM

Uh, yeah. Who told you to wait 2 hours after eating to exercise?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 TianZi

• 519 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:30 AM

Well, if it's a large solid meal, it's best to wait about 2 hours before doing moderate to hard running, swimming or other vigorous cardio to avoid the risk of cramping (and perhaps nausea). But if it's something low impact like beginner's yoga, walking or slow biking, it shouldn't matter.

And if you are going to do a weight lifting or or strength training work-out, you probably don't need to worry about cramping.

A protein shake (which is essentially a liquid meal) would probably help your performance, especially immediately prior to strength training (and within an hour of finishing).

#4 DREXX

• 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:02 PM

Yeah, what they said. ;)

I used to have supper right before weightlifting and never had any issues. Just make sure not to overeat.

If you are doing cardio then some time to digest is advisable but even then 2 hours is too long IMHO.

#5 sandra.Wa07

• 4 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:33 PM

If I am going to the gym I actually do not want do eat anything. Afterwards I am always very hungry and then I go home and eat something. If I eat something right before I go to the gym I always get stomachache. Maybe you should try to eat after your workout. For me personally this is the best solution.

#6 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 01:00 PM

Can i just ignore the rule and go ahead eat followed by work out?

This seems almost too obvious to mention, but what's wrong with having a snack to tie you over?

#7 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:12 PM

I always felt much better eating a reasonable meal before working out. Blood sugar issues are a factor. If you have low blood sugar, eat and don't wait.

#8 Eugene

• Topic Starter
  • 96 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

Wow that is a huge relief! Thanks!

I hate medical myths...

#9 kenj

• 747 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Yeah, no problems eating before workout if you feel better energywise. Eating -> energy -> motivated!

I used to have supper right before weightlifting and never had any issues. Just make sure not to overeat.

If you are doing cardio then some time to digest is advisable but even then 2 hours is too long IMHO.

Also for me, when weight training I like to have some food in my system ~30 minutes before picking up a weight, so I can throw 'em like a ballerina waves her arm about with the umbrella............. However when doing cardio (especially HIIT) I need a pretty empty stomach (ideally 3-4 hours) or I just can't perform the best.

Blood sugar issues are a factor. If you have low blood sugar, eat and don't wait.

I've recorded blood sugar in the early 60's before going running for 40 minutes, so possibly it's more complicated than that.

#10 imarobot

• 194 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:31 PM

Blood sugar issues are a factor. If you have low blood sugar, eat and don't wait.

I've recorded blood sugar in the early 60's before going running for 40 minutes, so possibly it's more complicated than that.

It's always more complicated than that, right? :|w I should have said that if low blood sugar is a persistent problem, eat and don't wait. People without the issue can probably handle exercise on low levels of blood sugar.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#11 Guacamolium

• 747 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:55 AM

I've noticed a pattern. Almost every time i fail to go to the gym is due to having to wait 2 hours before work out. Very often i am too hungry to go work out and do not have 2 hours to wait so i end up not going. For example often there is a party in 2 hours and if i wait and then work out i will miss it.

Can i just ignore the rule and go ahead eat followed by work out? If i eat before work out can it be ~400 calories? Thanks!

I'm sure everyone has covered what I'm about to type, but it's actually better to consume the meal less than 45 (I say 30) minutes after your workout rather than before. What's even better than that is having a small meal (or MR) before your workout - say 30 minutes before, and having a complex carb, high protein, and healthy fat meal less than 30 minutes afterward. Studies back up the after workout part, not sure about eating before your workout being empirically-backed, but its been the anecdotal "truth" for at least a couple decades now. The caloric part depends on your goals of course - so I can't put a number on that.

I'm puzzled as to what "rule" you were talking about, but it sounds retarded, to put it bluntly. Mind and Muscle forum is a good one to get questions like these answered.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users