• Create Account

Photo
- - - - -

trehalose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 prophets

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:35 AM

does anyone know (off the top of their head ) whether or not trehalose actually works in vivo in humans or is it just broken up into glucose in the gut and is useless?

just been going over my autophagy notes since this rapamycin news...

thx in advance.

#2 waldemar Re: trehalose

Posted 10 July 2009 - 10:44 PM

If it didn't, I'd eat that stuff like the candy it is. ;-)

#3 Sillewater Re: trehalose

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

does anyone know (off the top of their head ) whether or not trehalose actually works in vivo in humans or is it just broken up into glucose in the gut and is useless?

just been going over my autophagy notes since this rapamycin news...

thx in advance.

Trehalose: a review of properties, history of use and human tolerance, and results of multiple safety studies.

Richards AB, Krakowka S, Dexter LB, Schmid H, Wolterbeek AP, Waalkens-Berendsen DH, Shigoyuki A, Kurimoto M.
Hayashibara International Inc., 8670 Wolff Court, Suite 200, Westminster, CO 80031, USA.
This paper contains a review of the history, natural occurrence, human consumption, metabolism, manufacture, and the results of eight standardized animal safety studies using trehalose. Trehalose (alpha,alpha-trehalose) is a naturally occurring sugar containing two D-glucose units in an alpha,alpha-1,1 linkage. Trehalose functions in many organisms as an energy source or a protectant against the effects of freezing or dehydration. It also possesses physical and/or chemical properties that are different than other sugars, which may make trehalose an attractive ingredient in food, health and beauty and pharmaceutical products. Data are presented supporting safe human consumption of trehalose in doses up to 50 g, and the physiologic ability of humans to digest it. No consistent treatment-related, dose-dependent adverse effects were observed in any of the eight safety studies performed at doses up to 10% of the diets. On the basis of these toxicity studies, human studies in which doses of trehalose were administered to various populations, and consumption of trehalose in commercial products in Japan, it is concluded that trehalose is safe for use as an ingredient in consumer products when used in accordance with current Good Manufacturing Practices.
PMID: 12065209 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Can anyone get this paper? (Apparently its found in Japanese products, maybe that's why they are so healthy).

Since trehalose is a dissacharide won't like 1 percent of it be absorbed? (remember reading that a small amount dissacharides will pass through the gut by passive diffusion)

Also it seems that in rats oral administration can have an effect on the brain. I think I may try and get some.

Trehalose alleviates polyglutamine-mediated pathology in a mouse model of Huntington disease.

Tanaka M, Machida Y, Niu S, Ikeda T, Jana NR, Doi H, Kurosawa M, Nekooki M, Nukina N.
Laboratory for Structural Neuropathology, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, 2-1 Hirosawa, Wako City, Saitama 351-0198, Japan.
Inhibition of polyglutamine-induced protein aggregation could provide treatment options for polyglutamine diseases such as Huntington disease. Here we showed through in vitro screening studies that various disaccharides can inhibit polyglutamine-mediated protein aggregation. We also found that various disaccharides reduced polyglutamine aggregates and increased survival in a cellular model of Huntington disease. Oral administration of trehalose, the most effective of these disaccharides, decreased polyglutamine aggregates in cerebrum and liver, improved motor dysfunction and extended lifespan in a transgenic mouse model of Huntington disease. We suggest that these beneficial effects are the result of trehalose binding to expanded polyglutamines and stabilizing the partially unfolded polyglutamine-containing protein. Lack of toxicity and high solubility, coupled with efficacy upon oral administration, make trehalose promising as a therapeutic drug or lead compound for the treatment of polyglutamine diseases. The saccharide-polyglutamine interaction identified here thus provides a new therapeutic strategy for polyglutamine diseases.
PMID: 14730359 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Edited by Sillewater, 11 July 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#4 prophets Re: trehalose

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

it's supposedly viable against aggregates from both huntington and parkinsons disease; probably also against alzheimers and ALS. i'm aware of the mouse studies, i just wasn't sure whether or not the human GI tract would respond in the same way a mouse would.

maybe the effect is most pronounced through sublingual absorption ? maybe we should be looking for trehalose lonzenges/candies? i don't know, was hoping to get some input on this.

#5 curious_sle Re: trehalose

Posted 21 May 2010 - 08:36 AM

some (good) news...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pt=AbstractPlus

lifespan extension 30%, when startedin old age still 60% of remaining lifespan...

[b] [/b]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.
[b] | [/b]