* * * * * 1 votes

Recommended Curcumin Supplement?

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#31 riverdivine

• 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hello-

I'm also looking for an answer to the question of the best/most effective curcumin supplement. I am treating my breast cancer, and per the recommendation of Dr. Bharat Aggarwal (the head of the Experimental Therapeutics division of MD Anderson Cancer Center, who has been studying the benefits of curcumin for decades...), should be taking 8 grams/ per day of curcumin. He has recommended America's Finest brand Curcumin, with bioperine.
He hasn't responded to my question about the efficacy of the LEF BCM-95 curcumin....perhaps to avoid conflict of interest.
My understanding, however, is that most of the research that has been done, thus far, in clinical trials evaluating the effectiveness of curcumin for various diseases, has been done using the Sabinsa manufactured C 3 w/ bioperine.

I'm leery to take America's Finest, as there are various fillers that sound toxic to me....I'm trying to avoid toxins...Too bad that there's no simple curcumin + piperine formula, in a veggie cap. Period. (I wonder why things must be so complicated...)

I just bought the LEF Bio Super Curcumin, and have been taking it for a few days....

Does anyone else have any feedback on this product, who has been taking it for awhile...anyone using it to treat cancer....?

#32 medicineman

• 750 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:35 AM

great thread...... ill stick to the olive oil and a bit of black pepper.... I heard somewhere that lecithin might also increase absorption.... here it is actually

curcumin-soya lecithin complex provided a 3-fold increase in solubility of curcumin as
compared to pure curcumin. Further, the physical mixture of curcumin and soya lecithin
also provided a higher solubility of curcumin. This can be attributed to the surface activity
of soya lecithin.

http://www.scipharm....load.asp?id=328

does that mean that lecithin may increase absorption???? anyone know?

to the op, soy based supps might have oestrogenic activity, so please do not take any soy based supps in order to increase curcumin bioavailibility

Edited by medicineman, 09 January 2010 - 11:38 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 ageless

• 219 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

For those interested, I found these AOR youtube videos recently. I've been relying on their CUReCUMIN product for awhile now. You can find all 3 videos on CUReCUMIN on youtube. The product contains more components of Turmeric than just curcumin which is discussed in the 3rd video below around the 9:10 mark.

I haven't posted here in quite some time and haven't even lurked much, but I hope to stop in more regularly here. I have a few companies I support and trust, but I do tend to rely on AOR for much of my regimen. Whether the nanotechnology proves to be superior, well hopefully we see more research in this promising area.

You can hear AOR's Dr. Traj Nibber discuss bioavailability research regarding piperine and nano-emulsion tech. just past the 6min mark in the 3rd vid of the series:
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Apparently AOR conducted an animal study in India showing enhanced bioavailability and a longer acting product as well they have a human study currently underway. He says this around the 8:30 mark.

btw, as an aside, I have this great Cancer book which really praises Curcumin/Turmeric and mentions some research showing tremendous anti-cancer synergy of curcumin with green tea(EGCG), so that might be an idea for those looking for that supplement intention.

Hope everyone finds this interesting. ;)

#34 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I have to say that we looked in to this ourselves when selecting our curcumin product.
We went with BCM-95 which LEF uses, and then sheared it's particle size, and put it in a capsule with Medium Chain Tryglicerides.

We heard that the oncologist Charles Myers was suggesting the BioCurcumin as part of some folks nutritional regimen. The reccomendation along with the data, made our decision easy on this product. We then decided to make our own super curcumin using MCT BioCurcumin after we heard about this information from some of our customers.

7x the absorption of regular curcumin is dramatic, and that of course is the data before adding it to our own delivery system (using the nitrogen bubble capsules).

Cheers
A

Edited by Anthony_Loera, 09 January 2010 - 05:03 PM.

#35 riverdivine

• 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:30 PM

btw, as an aside, I have this great Cancer book which really praises Curcumin/Turmeric and mentions some research showing tremendous anti-cancer synergy of curcumin with green tea(EGCG), so that might be an idea for those looking for that supplement intention.

Hope everyone finds this interesting. :)

Pure Prescriptions makes a Curcumin/Piperine WITH Green Tea extract (300 mg) veggie cap.....looks like a pretty good combo, but if taking the very high doses of Curcumin to treat cancer, seem questionable how safe this combo is- I don't think that there are any studies determining recommended dosages for EGCG...

*Is anyone aware of any company that offers Curcumin+Piperine, without fillers, in a veggie cap?

Anthony Loera, can I ask: What is your product/company? (I'm sorry....I just came across this thread, and am a bit in the dark re: other commentators...)

#36 NeverSayDie

• 135 posts

Posted 18 January 2010 - 04:42 PM

My position here is that its probably not wise to exceed a traditional dosage of turmeric (3-5 grams daily providing something in the vicinity of 100-200mg curcumin) unless you have serious health issues where the risk/benefit ratio warrants it. You just don't know what is going to happen long-term and curcumin gets its fingers into a million different aspects of your biochemistry / gene expression etc.

ToxSci Advance Access originally published online on March 14, 2006 Toxicological Sciences 2006 91(2):476-483; doi:10.1093/toxsci/kfj153

© The Author 2006. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the
Society of Toxicology. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please email:
journals.permissions@oxfordjournals.org

Mitochondrial and Nuclear DNA Damage Induced by Curcumin in Human Hepatoma G2 Cells
Jun Cao*, Li JiaPosted Image, Hui-Min ZhouPosted Image, Yong LiuPosted Image and Lai-Fu Zhong*,1 * Department of Toxicology, Posted Image College of Laboratory Medicine, and Posted Image Department of Microbiology, Dalian Medical University, Dalian 116027, China; and Posted Image Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Resource Discovery, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian 116023, China

Received November 18, 2005; accepted March 2, 2006

Curcumin is extensively used as a spice and pigment and has anticarcinogenic effects that could be linked to its antioxidant properties. However, some studies suggest that this natural compound possesses both pro- and antioxidative effects. In this study, we found that curcumin induced DNA damage to both the mitochondrial and nuclear genomes in human hepatoma G2 cells. Using quantitative polymerase chain reaction and immunocytochemistry staining of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine, we demonstrated that curcumin induced dose-dependent damage in both the mitochondrial and nuclear genomes and that the mitochondrial damage was more extensive. Nuclear DNA fragments were also evident in comet assays. The mechanism underlies the elevated level of reactive oxygen species and lipid peroxidation generated by curcumin. The lack of DNA damage at low doses suggested that low levels of curcumin does not induce DNA damage and may play an antioxidant role in carcinogenesis. But at high doses, we found that curcumin imposed oxidative stress and damaged DNA. These data reinforce the hypothesis that curcumin plays a conflicting dual role in carcinogenesis. Also, the extensive mitochondrial DNA damage might be an initial event triggering curcumin-induced cell death.

http://toxsci.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/91/2/476

I wonder what constitutes a low dose/high dose according to this study?

You have to be wary if of a supplement that increases the absorption/bioavailability of curcumin by 2000% as bioperine is said to do.

Edited by NeverSayDie, 18 January 2010 - 04:49 PM.

#37 QQQ

• 32 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 02:52 PM

Funk,

Looking at your regimen as of 11/09, it looks like you added LEF's Curcumin to your regimen twice a day. What caused your change of heart on curcumin?

I was taking NOW's curcumin 3 times a day for about a year and a half and am now worrying after reading this thread. I'm very unsure about keeping curcumin in my regimen.

No, I'm not taking any right now.

#38 FunkOdyssey

• 3,443 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:18 PM

I was taking it mainly to help with exercise related joint pain, which it did help with. However, the elbow that was bothering me most was still producing a clicking sound, despite the fact that I could feel no pain.

I started coming around to the idea that a bit of inflammation is actually necessary to initiate repair of damaged tissue, and cut curcumin, high EPA fish oil, and some other anti-inflammatory nutrients out of my regimen. Lo and behold, a week later the clicking elbow was working smoothly again.

In addition to the elbow issue, the AOR curecumin product had a detrimental effect on my libido that I found intolerable.

#39 UNCnate

• 5 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:24 PM

I think people are making this too complicated.

Take Bioperine (for CYP3A4 inhibition) 15-20 minutes before you take the Curcumin. No need in getting some expensive nano emulsified curcumin.

#40 riverdivine

• 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

My position here is that its probably not wise to exceed a traditional dosage of turmeric (3-5 grams daily providing something in the vicinity of 100-200mg curcumin) unless you have serious health issues where the risk/benefit ratio warrants it. You just don't know what is going to happen long-term and curcumin gets its fingers into a million different aspects of your biochemistry / gene expression etc.

ToxSci Advance Access originally published online on March 14, 2006 Toxicological Sciences 2006 91(2):476-483; doi:10.1093/toxsci/kfj153

Mitochondrial and Nuclear DNA Damage Induced by Curcumin in Human Hepatoma G2 Cells
Jun Cao*, Li JiaPosted Image, Hui-Min ZhouPosted Image, Yong LiuPosted Image and Lai-Fu Zhong*,1 * Department of Toxicology, Posted Image College of Laboratory Medicine, and Posted Image Department of Microbiology, Dalian Medical University, Dalian 116027, China; and Posted Image Laboratory of Pharmaceutical Resource Discovery, Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, the Chinese Academy of Sciences, Dalian 116023, China

Curcumin is extensively used as a spice and pigment and has anticarcinogenic effects that could be linked to its antioxidant properties. However, some studies suggest that this natural compound possesses both pro- and antioxidative effects. In this study, we found that curcumin induced DNA damage to both the mitochondrial and nuclear genomes in human hepatoma G2 cells. Using quantitative polymerase chain reaction and immunocytochemistry staining of 8-hydroxydeoxyguanosine, we demonstrated that curcumin induced dose-dependent damage in both the mitochondrial and nuclear genomes and that the mitochondrial damage was more extensive. Nuclear DNA fragments were also evident in comet assays. The mechanism underlies the elevated level of reactive oxygen species and lipid peroxidation generated by curcumin. The lack of DNA damage at low doses suggested that low levels of curcumin does not induce DNA damage and may play an antioxidant role in carcinogenesis. But at high doses, we found that curcumin imposed oxidative stress and damaged DNA. These data reinforce the hypothesis that curcumin plays a conflicting dual role in carcinogenesis. Also, the extensive mitochondrial DNA damage might be an initial event triggering curcumin-induced cell death.

You have to be wary if of a supplement that increases the absorption/bioavailability of curcumin by 2000% as bioperine is said to do.

Wow, that's interesting info! Thank you. I have never heard those precautions before...food for thought..

Here is a link to Dr.Bharat Aggarwal's website, detailing his research on the medicinal effects of Curcumin, as well as his recommended dosages, etc.
http://www.curcuminresearch.org/

BTW, I finally found that Pure Encapsulations offers a simple, filler-free, Curcumin+Bioperine formula in a Veg cap.... :)

#41 riverdivine

• 4 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

Wow, that's interesting info! Thank you. I have never heard those precautions before...food for thought..

Here is a link to Dr.Bharat Aggarwal's website, detailing his research on the medicinal effects of Curcumin, as well as his recommended dosages, etc.
http://www.curcuminresearch.org/

BTW, I finally found that Pure Encapsulations offers a simple, filler-free, Curcumin+Bioperine formula in a Veg cap.... :)

Oops, sorry! I just noticed the Aggarwal thread that was recently started by someone else....
  • Good Point x 1

#42 jcanis

• 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

Please see my summary of Curcumin of info I obtained by Dr Aggarwal MD Anderson. He sugested that my husband, who has a brain tumor, take 8 g/day....and to ensure its bioavailablity one needs to take curcumin with piperine AND have it with a food with fat in it. He suggested milk or yoghurt.

Just search this site for curcumin.

fyi, we use LEF super curcumin + piperine and Dr Aggarwal said that this was a good product.

Good luck,

Julie

bioavailability

Is anyone certain if getting Curcumin to cross the blood brain barrier (BBB) requires some form of adjunct to curcumin, or does curcumin cross in it's original state? I would think that in order to acquire benefits outside of reduced inflammation, it would have to cross the BBB. Correct me if i'm wrong

#43 jcanis

• 19 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 05:35 AM

please see my post....curcumin fights cancer bioavailabilty...

Its a summary of info from Dr Aggarwal. He suggested my husband who has a brain tumor to take 8 gr curcumin/day with piperine and with a fatty food such as milk or yogurt. Said to try it for 3 months, if no benefits are noted it prob won't work. He said that the LEF Curcumin + piperine was fine.

Best of luck,

Julie

Hello-

I'm also looking for an answer to the question of the best/most effective curcumin supplement. I am treating my breast cancer, and per the recommendation of Dr. Bharat Aggarwal (the head of the Experimental Therapeutics division of MD Anderson Cancer Center, who has been studying the benefits of curcumin for decades...), should be taking 8 grams/ per day of curcumin. He has recommended America's Finest brand Curcumin, with bioperine.
He hasn't responded to my question about the efficacy of the LEF BCM-95 curcumin....perhaps to avoid conflict of interest.
My understanding, however, is that most of the research that has been done, thus far, in clinical trials evaluating the effectiveness of curcumin for various diseases, has been done using the Sabinsa manufactured C 3 w/ bioperine.

I'm leery to take America's Finest, as there are various fillers that sound toxic to me....I'm trying to avoid toxins...Too bad that there's no simple curcumin + piperine formula, in a veggie cap. Period. (I wonder why things must be so complicated...)

I just bought the LEF Bio Super Curcumin, and have been taking it for a few days....

Does anyone else have any feedback on this product, who has been taking it for awhile...anyone using it to treat cancer....?

#44 truelliot

• 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:28 PM

Is anyone certain if getting Curcumin to cross the blood brain barrier (BBB) requires some form of adjunct to curcumin, or does curcumin cross in it's original state? I would think that in order to acquire benefits outside of reduced inflammation, it would have to cross the BBB. Correct me if i'm wrong

You might want to look at the effects of the form of curcumin called LongVida in Alzheimers. It definitely crosses the BBB and has higher bioavailability than other formulations (it also costs more...). Take a look at the following paper:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....21/?tool=pubmed

LongVida is the name of the curcumin formulation produced by Verdure Sciences, mentioned towards the end of the paper.

That is a mouse study. You mean this?

"However, in humans high oral dosing fails to achieve detectable plasma levels (Lao et al., 2006). The reported failure to achieve these modest target levels in humans with oral supplements predicts limited success in translating to the clinic. In our studies, increasing curcumin solubility with phosphatidyl choline, olive oil, or stearic acid increases plasma and brain levels compared with administering unformulated curcumin powder. For example, oral gavage of an optimized, lipidated curcumin formulation (Verdure Sciences, Noblesville, IN; www.verduresciences.com) resulted in 11-fold higher levels of curcumin in plasma and 4-fold higher levels in brain compared with equal doses of curcumin powder or curcumin-piperine extracts. A 5-mg curcumin dose delivered by acute gavage in this lipid rich formulation (n = 5) resulted in 2.15 ± 0.744 µM mouse brain curcumin levels after 3 h. After 2 weeks of lipidated formulation at 500 ppm curcumin in chow (n = 5), we observed 5.79 ± 1.22 µM mouse brain curcumin, well above the 1 to 2 µM range of EC50 concentrations for the inhibition of iNOS, IL-1β, PGE2, and isoprostanes. This suggests oral delivery can achieve our target tissue levels. Finally, the traditional method of dissolving turmeric in fat during cooking is likely an effective method to improve absorption, and it could play a role in India's low incidence and prevalence of Alzheimer's disease (Lim et al., 2001 and references therein)."

Again only mouse studies. Where are the human studies? At the very least one would want to see a preparation of curcumin causing detectable levels in human blood and non-brain tissues before talking about the brain.

#45 truelliot

• 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 08:30 PM

hi..just wonder if u have come across any new curcumin research...i'm thinking of taking longvida's with the meriva....thanks truelliot

#46 Zaion

• 22 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 09:55 PM

I decided to buy 100g Turmeric for less than 1 euro, black pepper and make
my own extraction.
I used 95% Alcohol and some water left for 3 days then filtered with
a coffee filter.
It looks really powerful!
I put the remaining powder in extravirgin olive oil for 3 days and then filtered again.
Just my 2cents of experience if someone could benefit from it...

Edited by Zaion, 23 December 2010 - 09:57 PM.

#47 madmix

• 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 08:07 PM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any views on the dosage / absorbability difference between a "Curcumin with Bioperine" product and "Meriva Curcumin".

I'm currently taking Doctor's Best Curcumin C3 Complex (500 mg) at one per day, but am thinking of switching to a Meriva product. Do I need to take the same 500mg dosage to achieve the same effect?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

Chris

#48 david ellis

• 1,014 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 February 2011 - 06:39 PM

Hi,

I wonder if anyone has any views on the dosage / absorbability difference between a "Curcumin with Bioperine" product and "Meriva Curcumin".

I'm currently taking Doctor's Best Curcumin C3 Complex (500 mg) at one per day, but am thinking of switching to a Meriva product. Do I need to take the same 500mg dosage to achieve the same effect?

Chris

I get good effects with plain 95% curcumin, one half gram. My C-reactive protein is .4 mg/L at 500 mg. One gram resulted in .2 mg/L. Without curcumin my levels would be, I guess, about 2 mg/L.

#49 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

Hi,

Chris

Any 95% curcumin extract will share the properties of a C3 complex; the mix of curcuminoids may be slightly different, but the superiority of any such extract over others has not been demonstrated. Bioperine will increase curcumin serum levels to the extend curcumin is metabolized by the CYP enzymes that bioperin blocks. However, peoples' CYP enzyme levels and efficiencies varies quite a lot depending on genetics. Bioperin may be a helpful addition for some people, not so much for others.

Some of the most extensive information on curcumin is posted on "Margaret's Blog", a site by and for multiple myeloma patients. As there is feedback from the use of variouse forms of curcumin, with blood tests as a measurement, this should be helpful and perhaps generally applicable. According to information there, heating curcumin in oil enhances its bioavailability.

#50 MrSpud

• 268 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 03:50 AM

Here's a recent study on Meriva Curcumin Phytosomes that was just published http://findarticles....5/ai_n56719462/

And here's info from Indena about Meriva http://www.indena.com/pdf/meriva.pdf

Edited by MrSpud, 16 February 2011 - 04:01 AM.

#51 madmix

• 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Will probably stick with the Doctor's Best Curcumin C3 Complex for now.

#52 archdunk

• 4 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 10:59 AM

i agree, Doctor's Best is the best out there when it comes to curcumin supplements. its a little pricey but its well worth it.
  • dislike x 2

#53 Anthony_Loera

• Life Member
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:10 AM

Looks a bit spammy with the funny google bomb link arch.

#54 J. Galt

• 125 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 08:38 AM

I get best results with Meriva Turmeric Phytosome. Best price I've found anywhere is Swansons. This is the only Curcumin supplement to produce noticeable MOAI effects for me, and I also notice a powerful anti-inflammatory effect after workouts.

#55 DbCooper

• 137 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

I get best results with Meriva Turmeric Phytosome. Best price I've found anywhere is Swansons. This is the only Curcumin supplement to produce noticeable MOAI effects for me, and I also notice a powerful anti-inflammatory effect after workouts.

Wouldnt you be negating your workout by doing so? Isnt some inflamation needed?

#56 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:15 AM

I think that complexing with phosphatidylcholine has a similar effect to heating in increasing curcumin bioavailability. This is essentially what Meriva is doing (several supplement makers use their material).

Mr. Galt, may I ask what specific effects you notice that you attribute to MAO inhibition? (And how are things in the gulch?)

#57 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:12 PM

Jarrow's at 500 mg daily gave me jaw tension, any formulation of curcumin where you think this might be less of a problem?

#58 Major Legend

• 741 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:03 AM

[/sup]stress and damaged DNA. These data reinforce the hypothesis that curcumin plays a conflicting dual role in carcinogenesis. Also, the extensive mitochondrial DNA damage might be an initial event triggering curcumin-induced cell death.

http://toxsci.oxford...stract/91/2/476

You have to be wary if of a supplement that increases the absorption/bioavailability of curcumin by 2000% as bioperine is said to do.]

Seems like the "concensus" is that it's not carcinogenic:
http://www.foodnavig...nds-EFSA-review

Though I don't know if the high absorption techniques being used in the thread would increase to levels where it would be carcinogenic. By doing a few research searches, it would seem the amount of data saying curcumin is anti-cancer seems to be outweigh the ones saying it could have carcinogenic properties under certain conditions, which the summaries themselves do not further provide further details, as to the kind of conditions (I assume these were done in vitro not in vivo). Though I have to wonder if curcumin was highly absorbed at 500mg (this translates to a very high dosage) would that be risky? Bearing in mind that I doubt 500mg without aid would be well absorbed anyways under most conditions.

Edited by Major Legend, 13 December 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#59 8bitmore

• 347 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have incorporated organic turmeric into my diet for years (+5) since it offers not just some but ALL of the "Curcuminoids Complex"-factors that most of the supplement companies are starting to gradually add to their "SuperDuperMegaCurcumin version XYZ" since they are gradually discovering that the reason why turmeric works so well is not just one isolated substance but rather a complex of a LOT of substances. Here's a sort of antropo-medical take on turmeric/curcumin that I would recommend reading: http://www.apocpcont...1.5 Mistry.pdf

(also, together with cayenne, black pepper and butter it can transform even the plainest rice into quite a feast)
  • like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 Daisy Neptune

• 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:38 PM

To add to this conversation, with some more recent info, this is the list of companies who use the sabinsa curcumin c3 complex in their products. Keep in mind that AFI is the sister company for Sabinsa, and only they can say what is exactly in their product, as the other companies purchase their curcumin from Sabinsa, but according to what I was told by AFI they can cut this product with another type of curcumin and add other ingredients that could affect it.

The following companies use Sabinsa's Curcumin C3 Complex® in their products:

• Ageless Cures LLC
  • America’s Finest
  • BlueBonnet Nutrition
  • Designs For Health
  • Doctor’s Best
  • Futurebiotics
  • Progressive Laboratories, Inc.
  • Pure Prescriptions

As we identify more customers who are users of Curcumin C3 Complex®, we will report that here.
Life Extension Foundation, Florida does not use Sabinsa’s Curcumin C3 Complex® in their products.

I also wrote Dr. Aggarwal, asking about the bioperine because stomach irritation is a concern for me, and he too advised 8G a day beginning at 1000mg and building up, although my doctor advises his patients to limit it to 3G a day, as he has had patients turn yellow, etc...But at the same time, his nurse said you could do what you want and see as it's not a prescrip medication. It's a shame that oncologists don't have more useful info and certainly about supplements they are suggesting.

Dr. Aggarwal, informed me by email, that "bioperine makes no discernable difference", and he said to mix it in yogurt or milk. He said nothing about full fat yogurt, etc. It's not so easy to mix it either, as one has to kind of crush it with a spoon or you get a chunk in your mouth, not pleasant at all.

So, this being the case, I began with the AFI Curcuminoids which is the C3 curcumin without bioperine and I am opening the 500mg capsules and mixing it with stonyfield 2% yogurt which has some fat. He also advises to take it on empty stomach 1 hr before meals so I'm doing it in the morning.

BUT. what I would like to know is what are the definitive comparisons to the following, and according to Margaret, it is really best to stay away from the BCM95 because at least for my purposes, the myeloma numbers went up for her and another person who was doing the experiment with her, and I've read some other negative things about it--so, I would stay away from BCM95 preparations. Note also, that in the Sabinsa list of companies that use C3, they make a statement that Life extension does NOT USE their C3, they are doing that for a reason, because it is not the same at all.

http://www.consumerl...view/2_16_2011/
this link was also on margaret's site, so keep in mind curcumin is all not equal.

CURRENT CONSIDERATIONS:
Longvida, this link answers lots of questions, however, I want to know which type of curcumin they are using, and I don't seem to see this or understand it,..I am writing them an email to get clarification: http://www.longvida....t-Curcumin.html

http://shop.nutrasal...tegory_s/47.htm Optima C-PC was mentioned to me on Margaret's blog with good results and it appears at this link it is out of stock and it says, new 2 piece veggie caps coming...looks very interesting...http://shop.nutrasal.com/v/vspfiles/manual_downloads/Optima%20CPC_Information_Brochure_Rev1_100212.pdf
when one reads through this link it appears that this product is the longvida..so what is the difference between these 2? I will email and ask.

And both the products above do not contain Bioperine, which certainly if one is taking 8 grams a day of curcumin with a bioper product like Doctor's best they are getting at least 40mg of bioperine a day and that is increasing everything else they are taking also. I think this could be problematic, although there are many like Margaret, who has been doing this for years with no ill effect...but, I've got a gastro sensitivity so, I think it's best for me to deal without it, especially when Dr. Aggarwal, clearly stated to me, "bioperine makes no discernable difference"..I think it's a simlar situation as the emodin that is in the reservatrol which I'm also trying to navigate. And as far as the green tea thing, just drink a cup or 2 and be done with it, but my doctor reccomended Theaflavin by Life exten to take--so, try that instead.

And, so, I think the current thinking is the jury is out on these above products (perhaps I will use myself as guinea pig)--and the BCM95 is an avoid, and the C3 companies listed above, tread carefully since all of them have bioperine, except for AFI which has the curcuminoids, at 500mg which is the one I'm taking that does not have the bioperine and opening the casules. Here it is: http://www.afisupple...9Jq7s6yZXgqHcLg

and there is the MERIVA CURCUMIN....so, I'm very confused as to the difference between the meriva and above stuff...but this article quoting the head of sabinsa does give a pretty accurate description, indicating it enhances something else, but not the curcumoids which is most effective--he also says that over 20mg of bioperine is not a good thing--so, am I right? The curcuminoids plain is the way to go, and supplement with green tea, and other stuff..maybe some quercetin pills????
http://www.nutraingr...lability-debate

Hope this clears up some confusions, and I would LOVE to hear from anyone who's been using these above products and can offer some clear on technical explanations for those of us that aren't so scientifically saavy!. Thanks!

One more thing, great post from kennedydisease forum where all types are listed:HERE IT IS BELOW___________________________________
":subject of today's post is the proliferation of new versions of curcumin. Plain ordinary curcumin is not well absorbed by the body, so about 80% to 90% of what you ingest passes through unchanged. Researchers are trying to solve that problem, and they have invented many different forms of curcumin. Following is a partial list:"

1. Turmeric (the spice, ground-up).

2. Curcumin (a powdered extract of turmeric).

3. Curcumol (an oil-based liquid extract of turmeric).

4. Curcumin with piperine, a black pepper extract that is believed to block intestinal enzymes that break down the curcumin.

5. Longvida, which was invented at the University of California. It is a form of curcumin that is coated with lipids, which are fatty-oily particles that are claimed to protect the curcumin and facilitate its transport across membranes.

6. Meriva, which was invented by the Italian pharma company Indena SpA. It consists of curcumin coated with phosphatidylcholine, claiming benefits similar to #4.

7. BCM-95 or Biocurcumax, which comes from the Indian pharma company Arjuna. It consists of curcumin coated with essential oil of turmeric, claiming benefits similar to #4 and #5.

8. Nanocurcumin, which was invented by a cooperative project between Johns Hopkins University and the University of Delhi. This one has curcumin encapsulated in nanoparticles that are claimed to protect it and increase solubility.

9. Dimethoxycurcumin or ASC-J9, which is being investigated by AndroScience Corp. It is a modified version of the curcumin molecule that is claimed to have better efficacy and better absorption into the body, but is not yet available to the public.

10. ASC-JM17, which is similar to ASC-J9 but designed to be taken by mouth rather than by injection.

Well, folks, I have read all the claims and I do not know which ones, if any, are true or false. The only thing certain is, taking #1 or #2 above (plain turmeric or curcumin) is not going to work, since very little is absorbed.

For my part, I am taking #5 (curcumin with phosphatidylcholine, 500 mg daily). I am not noticing any apparent negative effects, and I might be having a small improvement in certain symptoms such as fasciculations and cramps, but I am not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users