Photo

mitoQ

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#181 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:13 AM

I have read some claims that MitoQ might slow apoptosis in cells.   Does anyone have a reference for that?

#182 SearchingForAnswers

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:14 AM

I've just placed my first order for a bottle of MitoQ. I'll let everyone know if I perceive any benefits; I am using c60oo, only about a teaspoon a week (I believe I put 800mg in a liter back home, can't remember but it was per instructions on this site).

I'm hoping for more energy throughout my workouts, lately I've been running out of wind during my lifting. (I'm 53). I'll keep the forum appraised.

I've just ordered some quercetin, hopefully that will compensate for any reduced apoptosis.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#183 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

There are a few inaccuracies in Skulachev's comments above which are disappointing as he knows our science particularly well.  

MitoQ is the mitochondria-targeted version of our own CoQ10. This is compared to SKQ1 which is a plastoquinone - the plant version of CoQ10. 

MitoQ's primary effect is optimal delivery of the "Q" anti-oxidant moiety into the mitochondria where it sits in the membrane and protects against membrane peroxidation. This protective effect is supportive of optimal mitochondrial function including the OxPhos process. The cellular benefit of MitoQ in terms of reduced oxidative stress and increased energy availability is well documented across many models of diseases - please visit pubmed.com and search for MitoQ to validate that. 

Any concerns about pro-oxidant effect are a red herring ... it has not been observed in vivo and this has been studied extensively to Phase II human trials at doses as high as 80mg for a year.  

Statins certainly decrease CoQ10 levels by inhibiting synthesis but CoQ10 supplementation does not deliver CoQ10 into the mitochondria in significant levels.  MitoQ will support those on Statins by improving antioxidant capacity in the mitochondria far beyond regular CoQ10 supplementation. There may be additional benefit in taking both MitoQ and CoQ10 as MitoQ shifts very quickly into the mitochondria and there is some utility in having CoQ10 in the cytoplasm. 

You can't compare oxidative stress in plants to animals - last time I looked they were quite different biological systems!! 

Greg, most of this sounds right, but the interesting claim that Skulachev is making is that MitoQ "cannot replace CoQ in its master function, i.e. as a respiratory chain electron carrier."   If that is correct, and MitoQ is only an antioxidant, then it would suggest that MitoQ should be taken in addition to CoQ10, not instead of it.    Do you have any research regarding MitoQ's ability to replace CoQ as an electron transport chain electron carrier?

The relevant section of Skulachev's comment is:

"MitoQ can be reduced to MitoQH2 by the initial respiratory chain complexes I and II but MitoQH2 is very slowly oxidized by the next respiratory chain complex III. Moreover, MitoQ cannot be decomposed in a way resulting in CoQ release. This is why MitoQ can hardly help when CoQ level is lowered by aging or statin."

Edited by pone11, 11 March 2015 - 06:33 AM.

#184 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:31 AM

There are a few inaccuracies in Skulachev's comments above which are disappointing as he knows our science particularly well.  

MitoQ is the mitochondria-targeted version of our own CoQ10. This is compared to SKQ1 which is a plastoquinone - the plant version of CoQ10. 

MitoQ's primary effect is optimal delivery of the "Q" anti-oxidant moiety into the mitochondria where it sits in the membrane and protects against membrane peroxidation. This protective effect is supportive of optimal mitochondrial function including the OxPhos process. The cellular benefit of MitoQ in terms of reduced oxidative stress and increased energy availability is well documented across many models of diseases - please visit pubmed.com and search for MitoQ to validate that. 

Any concerns about pro-oxidant effect are a red herring ... it has not been observed in vivo and this has been studied extensively to Phase II human trials at doses as high as 80mg for a year.  

Statins certainly decrease CoQ10 levels by inhibiting synthesis but CoQ10 supplementation does not deliver CoQ10 into the mitochondria in significant levels.  MitoQ will support those on Statins by improving antioxidant capacity in the mitochondria far beyond regular CoQ10 supplementation. There may be additional benefit in taking both MitoQ and CoQ10 as MitoQ shifts very quickly into the mitochondria and there is some utility in having CoQ10 in the cytoplasm. 

You can't compare oxidative stress in plants to animals - last time I looked they were quite different biological systems!! 

Greg, most of this sounds right, but the interesting claim that Skulachev is making is that MitoQ "cannot replace CoQ in its master function, i.e. as a respiratory chain electron carrier."   If that is correct, and MitoQ is only an antioxidant, then it would suggest that MitoQ should be taken in addition to CoQ10, not instead of it.    Do you have any research regarding MitoQ's ability to replace CoQ as an electron transport chain electron carrier?

"MitoQ can be reduced to MitoQH2 by the initial respiratory chain complexes I and II but MitoQH2 is very slowly oxidized by the next respiratory chain complex III. Moreover, MitoQ cannot be decomposed in a way resulting in CoQ release. This is why MitoQ can hardly help when CoQ level is lowered by aging or statin."

Skulachev is correct on the point that MitoQ is not directly involved in the ECT. However, MitoQ indirectly optimises the ECT by stabilising the membrane the chain is embedded in.  

The level of CoQ10 required for the ECT is significantly less than that needed for anti-oxidant capacity. Even at advanced age there is adequate CoQ10 naturally made in the mitochondria to cater for ECT requirements. 

There would be relatively little benefit taking CoQ10 supplements alongside MitoQ given that exogenous CoQ10 is unlikely to show up in the mitochondria in meaningful levels.  It may help in the cytoplasm though. 

The priority is to stabilise the mitochondrial membrane which in turn will optimise mitochondrial function across the board (ECT, signalling, endogenous CoQ10 manufacture etc).  MitoQ will deliver that whilst exogenous CoQ10 will struggle to impact.  

In the case of statins we see decreased CoQ10 and associated physical symptoms that reflect downgraded mitochondrial function. If we saw total CoQ10 block there would be complete shut down of the ECT. We don't see this which suggests there is a base level that continues to be manufactured and this will be enough to cater to ECT requirements. 

#185 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 07:40 AM

I have read some claims that MitoQ might slow apoptosis in cells.   Does anyone have a reference for that? 

From what I have seen/understand improving mitochondrial function will create an environment where healthy cells will have optimal longevity and unhealthy cells are pushed towards apoptosis.

The mechanisms are very complex so I am sure there will be research that is ambiguous on this. 

It is the end of the day here so will jump back online tomorrow. Am enjoying the conversation!

Kind regards

Greg

• like x 1

#186 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

Skulachev is correct on the point that MitoQ is not directly involved in the ECT. However, MitoQ indirectly optimises the ECT by stabilising the membrane the chain is embedded in.  

The level of CoQ10 required for the ECT is significantly less than that needed for anti-oxidant capacity. Even at advanced age there is adequate CoQ10 naturally made in the mitochondria to cater for ECT requirements. 

There would be relatively little benefit taking CoQ10 supplements alongside MitoQ given that exogenous CoQ10 is unlikely to show up in the mitochondria in meaningful levels.  It may help in the cytoplasm though. 

The priority is to stabilise the mitochondrial membrane which in turn will optimise mitochondrial function across the board (ECT, signalling, endogenous CoQ10 manufacture etc).  MitoQ will deliver that whilst exogenous CoQ10 will struggle to impact.  

In the case of statins we see decreased CoQ10 and associated physical symptoms that reflect downgraded mitochondrial function. If we saw total CoQ10 block there would be complete shut down of the ECT. We don't see this which suggests there is a base level that continues to be manufactured and this will be enough to cater to ECT requirements. 

I understand that CoQ10 does not absorb well.   But if there is statin damage, you need to boost CoQ in order to restore Complex function.   In that case, it sounds like you need to take CoQ10 in addition to MitoQ, and each will serve a different purpose.

None of that degrades value of MitoQ.  But there should be clearer instruction about when CoQ10 might have value.

Are there studies showing that supplemental CoQ10 does not help mitigate statin damage?

• Agree x 1

#187 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:11 AM

From what I have seen/understand improving mitochondrial function will create an environment where healthy cells will have optimal longevity and unhealthy cells are pushed towards apoptosis.

The mechanisms are very complex so I am sure there will be research that is ambiguous on this. 

It is the end of the day here so will jump back online tomorrow. Am enjoying the conversation!

If any of your scientists know of a reference or two on apoptosis with and without MitoQ it would be great to read those.

The issue would be for someone with a severe mitochondrial injury.   Degraded mitochondria might not generate the signal for apoptosis, thus perpetuating low mitochondrial function for a long period of time.   Such an individual needs to kill off bad mitochondria and generate new, healthier mitochondria to replace them.  The last thing such a person would want to do is make defective mitochondria that are even harder to kill.

Edited by pone11, 11 March 2015 - 08:12 AM.

#188 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

I understand that CoQ10 does not absorb well.   But if there is statin damage, you need to boost CoQ in order to restore Complex function.   In that case, it sounds like you need to take CoQ10 in addition to MitoQ, and each will serve a different purpose.

None of that degrades value of MitoQ.  But there should be clearer instruction about when CoQ10 might have value.

Are there studies showing that supplemental CoQ10 does not help mitigate statin damage?

There is plenty of research on CoQ10 that suggests it will mitigate Statin damage but if you really dig down the evidence that it actually works is sparse.  There is as much research for and against and it is safe to say that the jury is firmly out.

CoQ10 falls into the same trap that most of the supplements on the market sit in ....   We know it [insert vitamin here] has a primary function in the body.  Someone made some. They then made the logical leap to suggest that if you take [said vitamin] it will benefit you because it is important in the body.  Somebody did some research that agreed with the logic. Down the track large scale clinical trials of [insert vitamin] fails to find the proposed benefit. 

I propose that the difference between theory of a vitamin/supplement working and the actual effect comes down to getting the compound where it needs to be in the body/cell for it to be effective. This is the solution that MitoQ offers. 

That said, I come across plenty of people in my life as a pharmacist that swear that CoQ10 has helped with their energy, Statin induced muscle pain etc - enough to anecdotally suggest that there is benefit for many people with this supplement. 

Please don't take my comments to suggest that I am knocking CoQ10 at all. It absolutely has its place and there may be a place to take both MitoQ and CoQ10.  

What I am saying though is that you are likely to have enough endogenous production to cover requirements in the ECT (including if you take Statins) and that you only really need to supplement with MitoQ as that will be delivering targeted anti-oxidant support right where it is needed and support endogenous production of CoQ10 at the same time by supporting mitochondrial homeostasis. 

I hope I am making sense!! 

Thanks

#189 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:11 PM

Greg...Is there any evidence of MitoQ helping with Mitochondria disruption from viruses? Im just curious as I research Mitochondria dysfunction there seem to be a lot of things that can go wrong with them...statins,viruses, etc....

#190 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:25 AM

Greg...Is there any evidence of MitoQ helping with Mitochondria disruption from viruses? Im just curious as I research Mitochondria dysfunction there seem to be a lot of things that can go wrong with them...statins,viruses, etc....

There is reason to believe that these antioxidants will be helpful for viral issues. At least under some circumstances.

Abstract

Background: Increased oxidative stress and subsequent mitochondrial damage are important pathways for liver damage in chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection; consequently, therapies that decrease mitochondrial oxidative damage may improve outcome. The mitochondria-targeted anti-oxidant mitoquinone combines a potent anti-oxidant with a lipophilic cation that causes it to accumulate several-hundred fold within mitochondria in vivo.

Aims: In this phase II study, we investigated the effect of oral mitoquinone on serum aminotransferases and HCV RNA levels in HCV-infected patients.

Methods: Thirty HCV patients who were either non-responders or unsuitable candidates for standard-of-care (pegylated interferon plus ribavirin) were randomized to receive mitoquinone (40 or 80 mg) or placebo once daily for 28 days, and serum aminotransferases and HCV RNA levels were measured.

Results: Both treatment groups showed significant decreases in absolute and percentage changes in serum alanine transaminase (ALT) from baseline to treatment day 28 (P<0.05). There was also a significant difference between incremental area under the curve for ALT between baseline and day 28 for the 40 mg treatment group against placebo (P<0.05). The differences in plasma ALT activity from baseline to day 28 in both mitoquinone groups compared with placebo did not reach significance (P>0.05). There was no change in HCV load on mitoquinone treatment.

Conclusions: Administration of the mitochondria-targeted anti-oxidant mitoquinone significantly decreased plasma ALT and aspartate aminotransferase in patients with chronic HCV infection, and this suggests that mitoquinone may decrease necroinflammation in the liver in these patients. As mitochondrial oxidative damage contributes to many other chronic liver diseases, such as steatohepatitis, further studies using mitochondria-targeted anti-oxidants in HCV and other liver diseases are warranted.

#191 TRUGAN

• 196 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

Thanks....now, if we could find a way to get rid of all defective mitochondria to stop them from making more defective copies. It's unclear to me if pqq is making new mitochondria or just causing the old defective ones to replicate but mega dosing MitoQ with PPQ might be desirable.

#192 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

I'm curious if anyone has had unpleasant side effects from taking MitoQ?

I have only taken 5 mg of the supplement per day in the morning and have had noticeably significant effects that I haven't heard anyone mention.  There was definitely a seemingly increase in energy level similar to a stimulant but the effect was uncomfortably powerful with a faster heartbeat for the entire day and great difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep.   The following day, completely wiped out by lunchtime on a normal work day.

What is happening here?

wannabeageless, I am seeing something similar to this.   MitoQ is giving me a very uncomfortable kind of stimulation.  It seems to make my brain fog worse, the day after I take it.

I sent you an email, but the short of it is do you see any of the following together with your faster heartbeats:

* high blood pressure

* high blood sugar

I'm looking for some confirmation about whether this could be high adrenalin or if it is something else going on.

#193 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:11 AM

I have only taken 5 mg of the supplement per day in the morning and have had noticeably significant effects that I haven't heard anyone mention.  There was definitely a seemingly increase in energy level similar to a stimulant but the effect was uncomfortably powerful with a faster heartbeat for the entire day and great difficulty falling asleep and staying asleep.   The following day, completely wiped out by lunchtime on a normal work day.

What is happening here?

wannabeageless, I am seeing something similar to this.   MitoQ is giving me a very uncomfortable kind of stimulation.  It seems to make my brain fog worse, the day after I take it.

I sent you an email, but the short of it is do you see any of the following together with your faster heartbeats:

* high blood pressure

* high blood sugar

I'm looking for some confirmation about whether this could be high adrenalin or if it is something else going on.

Hi, 

From time to time we will get an email from a customer that experiences some out of the ordinary effects from MitoQ.  We suggest halving the dose for a month and then going back up to the regular 2 a day and that generally works to settle things down.  We are not entirely sure what is happening but suspect there is some level of repair occurring that resolves by titrating the dose back a touch.  I experienced around three different effects when I commenced MitoQ that started in the first month of feeling a little more tired than normal, then the next month I got a massive boost in energy and then things settled down to the new normal.  Everyone is different because we all have varying degrees of macro-mitochondrial function as well as micro (specific organ) mitochondrial function.  

In the case above I suggest taking one every alternate day.  However, if you continue to notice effects that you are not comfortable with then MitoQ may not be for you.   

MitoQ normalises blood pressure and blood sugar and it doesnt affect adrenalin ... it will be an effect associated with mitochondrial function change.

Thanks 

#194 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 March 2015 - 10:05 PM

What is happening here?

I am interested in hearing from users of either CoQ10 or MitoQ who are experiencing similar symptoms to the above, and I am trying to consolidate answers to this thread that is arguing possible negative effects of CoQ10:

http://www.longecity...e-2#entry719660

After experimentation, I have determined my N=1 is that I get the above effects with CoQ10 alone (Life Extension Brand), and get even more intensely with MitoQ.   

#195 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:02 AM

I've been taking 10 mg of MitoQ QAM for months. Not noticed anything significant.  I think NR might cause insomnia for me if taken late in the day, but now I take it (500mg/day) in the morning also.  C60 EVOO seems to make me sleep more than I used to (3-7 mg/day, AM and PM dosing).

#196 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 05:50 AM

I've started taking it again at 10mg/day after stopping for three weeks. Went to the gym the same day and had a killer workout. Placebo or the magic Q... I don't know.

#197 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 March 2015 - 10:59 PM

Has anybody else found ubiquinol or ubiquinone to make them mentally fatigued? I've experimented with both many times, and find that it without fail results in making my thinking foggy / unable to focus, and the need for an extended nap (~60 mins). I've come across other posters saying the same and wonder if anyone knows of the mechanism, and whether MitoQ would be at risk for the same.

#198 pone11

• 654 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:23 AM

Has anybody else found ubiquinol or ubiquinone to make them mentally fatigued? I've experimented with both many times, and find that it without fail results in making my thinking foggy / unable to focus, and the need for an extended nap (~60 mins). I've come across other posters saying the same and wonder if anyone knows of the mechanism, and whether MitoQ would be at risk for the same.

I have the same effect.   Can you report your symptom here:

http://www.longecity...e-2#entry719660

I'm trying to consolidate CoQ10 / MitoQ side effect responses to that thread.

#199 mitomutant

• 190 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:41 AM

Yes, but only at high doses (>300mg/daily). How much are you taking ?

#200 SearchingForAnswers

• 213 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:13 PM

OK,

I've been taking mitoq for 3 days now. I actually seem to have more fatigue; I can't positively attribute it to the MitoQ, and I hope that's not it. Nothing different seems to be happening in the gym so far.

I have also had instances where it seems that my heartbeat "takes longer" every once in a while. It's happened before, just not as frequent. So I'll cut down to one every other day and see how that goes.

Perhaps it just takes longer.

Edited by SearchingForAnswers, 30 March 2015 - 12:18 PM.

#201 Kalliste

• 1,147 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:26 PM

The fatiuge thing is normal in the sense that it happens to many people at the start. I think Greg said it could have something to do with some kind of repair taking place. Don't cut down yet.

#202 NeuroGeneration

• 103 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

I was taking between 100 - 300mg of ubiquinol, ubiquinone or idebenone per day – I was mixing things up for a while. Then, when I began to suspect that it was CoQ10 that was throwing me off (really bad, too – to the point that I got a sleep study done, because I thought that despite my 8-9 hours of sleep, if I was still requiring multiple daily naps, I must not be getting much restorative sleep), I dropped down to 1x100mg ubiquinol OR ubiquinone every other day. Still, no change in symptoms. I've gone 2 weeks now without any CoQ10, and have not had to take a single nap.

I had been taking these supplements for 6+ months and needed 1-2 naps, practically every day (I'd estimate, 6/7 days), hence, the suspicion of sleep issues. There was no sign of any improvements over this time period.

I'm 30 years old, and my diet/physical health is in the top 1% of those who go to the gym – In other words, very good.

I don't know if it has any relationship whatsoever, but I also get severely fatigued from cholinergic supplements (Citicoline, inositol, UMP... and believe it or not, I suspect that eggs can even throw me off if I have too many over multiple consecutive days).

I don't know of any sensitivities other than choline & CoQ10, and I've experimented with many supplements.

@pone11 – I'll post on your link.

Edited by NeuroGeneration, 30 March 2015 - 01:57 PM.

• WellResearched x 1

#203 Arisia

• 46 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:31 AM

Today was my first day taking MitoQ. Being the cautious type, I took only one capsule, and stopped taking NR. My initial impression is that 5mg of MitoQ provides a bit more mental stimulation than 100mg of the Qsorb CoQ10 I've taken in the past.

So far it's made my breathing easier(normally it feels like I've got an Ace Bandage wrapped around my chest, making it take more effort to breath. ALCAR did the same initially, but the effect quickly went away). No change in my general level of physical fatigue(which is pretty severe, due to Lupus). My muscles feel a bit tired and sore, but that may be due to me spending 10 minutes in the sun yesterday.

Heart rate is normal, and no increased PVCs are noticeable. However I do take Metoprolol, a beta-blocker, for my dysautonomia, and that would likely mask any affects in that regards. My blood pressure did drop a bit (just took it, and it was 101/64). This is not an unusual reading, but it was been running a little higher lately( probably due to the NR I'd been taking). So, the drop in blood pressure, if it continues, may not be due to the addition of 5 mg of MitoQ so much as the absence of the NR.

#204 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:00 AM

Today was my first day taking MitoQ. Being the cautious type, I took only one capsule, and stopped taking NR. My initial impression is that 5mg of MitoQ provides a bit more mental stimulation than 100mg of the Qsorb CoQ10 I've taken in the past.

So far it's made my breathing easier(normally it feels like I've got an Ace Bandage wrapped around my chest, making it take more effort to breath. ALCAR did the same initially, but the effect quickly went away). No change in my general level of physical fatigue(which is pretty severe, due to Lupus). My muscles feel a bit tired and sore, but that may be due to me spending 10 minutes in the sun yesterday.

Heart rate is normal, and no increased PVCs are noticeable. However I do take Metoprolol, a beta-blocker, for my dysautonomia, and that would likely mask any affects in that regards. My blood pressure did drop a bit (just took it, and it was 101/64). This is not an unusual reading, but it was been running a little higher lately( probably due to the NR I'd been taking). So, the drop in blood pressure, if it continues, may not be due to the addition of 5 mg of MitoQ so much as the absence of the NR.

Hi Arisia, 

I look forward to seeing how things progress for you on MitoQ.

This paper came across my desk yesterday and may have some relevance re your breathing.

http://www.sciencedi...91674915002651#

All the best with your trial.

Greg

#205 Arisia

• 46 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:57 PM

Thank you Mr. MacPherson. That was an extremely interesting and informative paper.

I don't have COPD that I know of(it was an initial possible diagnosis), but I do have an atypical asthma to go along with my other health issues(I seem to be collecting quite a list of them).

I did a spirometry this morning and my FEV1 was the highest it's ever been. So, that's interesting.

Thanks again. 

• like x 1

#206 Decimus

• 100 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:12 AM

Greg Macpherson,

Would you please read this study?

http://www.sciencedi...891584914001099

Would you tell us what your thoughts are:

1) on the limited effects of MitoQ on lifespan?

2) the mechanisms of action that were outlined?  Were they in-line with your findings and expectations?

3) the health span affects and how these might translate to humans?

Thank you.

#207 Mr.No

• 50 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

Melatonin may be better than mitoQ/mitoE 

http://bja.oxfordjou...2.full.pdf html

• Off-Topic x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#208 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:08 AM

Melatonin may be better than mitoQ/mitoE 

http://bja.oxfordjou...2.full.pdf html

An interesting study - I had not seen that paper.  Thank you. 

#209 gregmacpherson

• 127 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:21 AM

Greg Macpherson,

Would you please read this study?

http://www.sciencedi...891584914001099

Would you tell us what your thoughts are:

1) on the limited effects of MitoQ on lifespan?

I think there is still work to be done on MitoQ's effects of lifespan.  I find these results interesting in the context of a review of long living animals that distilled the difference between long and short living organisms to the robustness of the mitochondrial membrane and the significantly reduced leakage of free radicals from mitochondria of long living organisms vs short. These are both areas that MitoQ will impact and I would therefore expect an anti-aging effect.  However, its a complex area and we simply don't know.  There is work being done and I will update as and when I can. 

2) the mechanisms of action that were outlined?  Were they in-line with your findings and expectations?

Yes, it seems the primary mechanism of action is to support the mitochondrial membrane and in-so-doing improve the overall functioning across the spectrum of mitochondrial activity. 

3) the health span affects and how these might translate to humans?

This is quite an important aspect of the research in this paper.  We all have various levels of mitochondrial dysfunction and oxidative stress across differing organs as well as the normal degradation in mitochondrial function with age.  Having a compound that can positively impact on mitochondrial activity can only benefit our health span and I think this is where the bulk of the beneficial effect of MitoQ will come from and over the longer term will contribute to MitoQ's life extension effects. 

Thank you.

Hi Decimus

This is a very interesting paper. 

Comments embedded above in bold.

thanks

Greg

sponsored ad

• Advert
Adverts help to support LongeCity's non-profit work. To go ad-free join as Member.

#210 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:58 AM

A new study shows some benefit using mitochondrial targeted antioxidants ( MitoQ ), but with an important warning regarding extent of use and dosage.
" mtDNA Mutagenesis Disrupts Pluripotent Stem Cell Function by Altering Redox Signaling "

http://www.cell.com/...1247(15)00521-5
  • Informative x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users