- - - - -

Cordyceps-Anyone taking this?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 Logan

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 03:55 AM

i use mushroom science reishi... def the best reishi out right now. but i figure since the dr's best & jarrow are so much cheaper its worth trying them first. im most likely going with the dr's best... i'll report back with effects.

Cool..I'm interested in seeing how you respond. I'm guessing this is your first go at cordyceps.

#32 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 04:16 AM

i use mushroom science reishi... def the best reishi out right now. but i figure since the dr's best & jarrow are so much cheaper its worth trying them first. im most likely going with the dr's best... i'll report back with effects.

I believe Dr's best and Jarrow source from China; I do not know which supplier there, or the consistency, quality or purity. Some are pharmaceutical quality, others not so much. Mushroom Science does not produce their own material; they only have at most 4 employees according to Manta. Judging by their price, they are purchasing from a domestic producer. Stamets' is well respected in the mycological community, and he does grow his own mycelial cultures, and supplies others with cultures, supplies and grow-kits. You can buy the actual mushroom, with the dead caterpillar it grows from still attached, in most cities' Chinatowns. The ones in New York were going for $160 an ounce last February.

Cordyceps extract is assumed to increase testosterone levels, though there are no published western studies in humans; the effect has been demonstrated with leydig cells in vitro and with mice. Female runners on the Chinese Olympic team years ago were reportd to be using cordyceps, and after the coach was warned of positive tests for testosterone by doping control, they were purportedly allowed to withdaw without publicity to avoid an international incident. If cordyceps does not increase testosterone levels in females, it is one heck of a good cover story.

One effect of increased testosterone levels in women is a much-increased libido. The reported effects that Steve_86 posted above would also be consistent with increased testosterone levels. I look forward to feedback from those using this supplement.
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#33 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 November 2010 - 05:35 AM

dr's best & jarrow always have good quality products, plus good reviews on iherb... i just bought the dr best from iherb. the fact that mushroom science only has 4 employees doesnt bother me at all... they sell wood grown, hot water extracted mushrooms standardized to very specific scientifically defined amounts of the actives. their reishi is very potent, so potent (sedative) that i cant even take it during the day.

im going for exactly the effects steve listed :)

#34 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 November 2010 - 07:23 PM

when i run out of dr's best im going to try aloha medicinals... http://www.alohamedicinals.com/

they have a pretty convincing schpiel about their cordyceps being superior & the lab work to back it up... its also only slightly more expensive than dr's best, and way cheaper than mushroom science.

Edited by ajnast4r, 06 November 2010 - 07:23 PM.

#35 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:40 PM

when i run out of dr's best im going to try aloha medicinals... http://www.alohamedicinals.com/

they have a pretty convincing schpiel about their cordyceps being superior & the lab work to back it up... its also only slightly more expensive than dr's best, and way cheaper than mushroom science.

Yeah these Aloha cats give awesome spiel so I might try them out too.

Their Cordyceps link:

http://www.alohamedi.../cordyceps.html

#36 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 01:33 AM

dr's best & jarrow always have good quality products, plus good reviews on iherb... i just bought the dr best from iherb. the fact that mushroom science only has 4 employees doesnt bother me at all... they sell wood grown, hot water extracted mushrooms standardized to very specific scientifically defined amounts of the actives. their reishi is very potent, so potent (sedative) that i cant even take it during the day.

Sigh. They say no good deed goes unpunished.

How do you know Dr's Best has good quality products? Consumer Labs caught them out at least once. Jarrow? I've gotten bottles with broken capsules, partly filled capsules, and what looked like floor sweepings in the capsules. True, anyone can have a bad batch in a largish operation but reputations can be overblown and out of date. Both companies do skip-lot testing, as the FDA allows. It's like people who are famous for being famous. They're good because everybody says they're good. Even so, I'd take them over most others in the business; but for mushroom products I'd go to the source, or as close as possible.

My point on Mushroom Science is that they are too small to produce themselves. They probably are conscientious and use high quality sources, but they are not primary producers. They contract out manufacture to a GMC facility, which may source the material for them. It can and probably still is of good quality.

Among professional mycologists (and I know several personally) Stamets' reputation stands out. I think most if not all producers in this country get their cultures from him.

#37 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2010 - 03:41 AM

How do you know Dr's Best has good quality products? Consumer Labs caught them out at least once. Jarrow? I've gotten bottles with broken capsules, partly filled capsules, and what looked like floor sweepings in the capsules. True, anyone can have a bad batch in a largish operation but reputations can be overblown and out of date. Both companies do skip-lot testing, as the FDA allows. It's like people who are famous for being famous. They're good because everybody says they're good. Even so, I'd take them over most others in the business; but for mushroom products I'd go to the source, or as close as possible.

My point on Mushroom Science is that they are too small to produce themselves. They probably are conscientious and use high quality sources, but they are not primary producers. They contract out manufacture to a GMC facility, which may source the material for them. It can and probably still is of good quality.

Among professional mycologists (and I know several personally) Stamets' reputation stands out. I think most if not all producers in this country get their cultures from him.

dr's best & jarrow are both manufactured in facilities that are as good as you can get... everyone says they are good because they ARE... the best in fact. i would invite you to contact them and ask them about the quality of their manufacturing. they are both HACCP, ISO 9001, cGMP etc etc etc.

i dont think that being the primary producer is really indicative of quality... if it was, we would have to x out 99% of the supplements sold in the US. I'm not arguing that stammets products arent good.. but they are insanely overpriced. i would take 'conscientious and high quality sources' with reasonable prices over self-produced & overpriced.

ex:
stammets reishi is ~40c per pill & mushroom science is ~27c., aloha is ~22c per pill
stammets cordyeps is ~40c per pills & dr best is ~16c per pill, aloha is ~22c per pill

w/ the stammets stuff you really are just paying for his name on the label.

#38 Logan

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:42 AM

dr's best & jarrow are both manufactured in facilities that are as good as you can get... everyone says they are good because they ARE... the best in fact. i would invite you to contact them and ask them about the quality of their manufacturing. they are both HACCP, ISO 9001, cGMP etc etc etc.

i dont think that being the primary producer is really indicative of quality... if it was, we would have to x out 99% of the supplements sold in the US. I'm not arguing that stammets products arent good.. but they are insanely overpriced. i would take 'conscientious and high quality sources' with reasonable prices over self-produced & overpriced.

ex:
stammets reishi is ~40c per pill & mushroom science is ~27c., aloha is ~22c per pill
stammets cordyeps is ~40c per pills & dr best is ~16c per pill, aloha is ~22c per pill

I believe Fungi Perfect are freezed dried, that may make them superior to other brands. You definitely pay for the name when you buy Stamets' products, but the guy does know his mushrooms, and I think his mushroom products are better than most.

#39 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 November 2010 - 07:08 AM

stamets at TED:

something mushroom science touches on, and something ive been wondering about, is the bioavailability of the various substances in mushrooms... re: extracts vs unextracted powder. ALL the research I was able to find, and all the references to traditional/TCM consumption were with extracts (water and/or alcohol). this makes me question the bioavailability of unextracted power in a pill.

http://www.mushrooms...t_mushrooms.htm

Every form of extraction, including precipitation with alcohol, requires a heated liquid solution to first release the polysaccharides, the primary active compounds, from the chitinous cell walls of the mushroom and mushroom mycelium.(8)

This is true for Reishi;(9,10) Coriolus versicolor;(11,12) Maitake;(13) Shiitake;(14,15) and Cordyceps.(16) All of the well-known isolates are also extracted in a heated aqueous solution, including Maitake Fraction from Maitake, PSK/VPS and PSP from Coriolus versicolor, and Lentinan and LEM from Shiitake.

According to the American Herbal Pharmacopoeia mycelium bio-mass products are inferior because of a "lack of bio-availability". This publication also states that concentrates derived through proper extraction contain active compounds "magnitudes higher than what is available in crude mycelium biomass preparations".(17)

• like x 1

#40 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 02:42 PM

How do you know Dr's Best has good quality products? Consumer Labs caught them out at least once. Jarrow? I've gotten bottles with broken capsules, partly filled
capsules, and what looked like floor sweepings in the capsules. True, anyone can have a bad batch in a largish operation but reputations can be overblown and out of date.

Both companies do skip-lot testing, as the FDA allows.

So who are the supplement companies that do not practice skip-lot testing?

Edited by pycnogenol, 07 November 2010 - 02:43 PM.

#41 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:38 PM

ex:

Yes that's all well and good, but do you personally know several professional mycologists? I think not, therefore... Posted Image

#42 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2010 - 01:12 AM

i was unable to fine -any- positive research on unextracted mushroom mycelium. ive also exchanged a few emails with the guy over at mushroom science and this all has me pretty much convinced that extracts are the only way to go. that being said i am still going to finish out my bottle of dr's best cordyceps mycelium and then compare it to the mushroom science extract. ill post back later.

to reiterate what i gathered from the emails:

only non-linear polysaccharides stimulate the immune system, and while up to 40-50% of the weight of raw mycellium can be polysaccharide, this amount is contributed to by the grain it is grown on & only 1-2% are the immune stimulating, non-linear portion. the non-linear polysaccharides are bound up in the chitinnous cell walls are not bioavailable unless they are heat treated... which breaks up the chitin, releasing the betaglucan.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Attached Files

Edited by ajnast4r, 09 November 2010 - 01:21 AM.

• like x 1

#43 Logan

• Topic Starter
  • 1,869 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 03:07 AM

Sigh. They say no good deed goes unpunished.

I think Jarrow, being based in California, has to adhere to very strict guidelines and testing. Proposition 65?

#44 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:19 AM

I think Jarrow, being based in California, has to adhere to very strict guidelines and testing. Proposition 65?

yea, i believe any products produced in ca must adhere to prop 65

#45 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:55 AM

also looking at NutraceuticsRx CordyPure which is using this extract. It costs a FRACTION of what the mushroom science extract cost. i havent determined which is the superior extract... will report back when i do.

#46 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 09:11 AM

also looking at NutraceuticsRx CordyPure which is using this extract. It costs a FRACTION of what the mushroom science extract cost. i havent determined which is the superior extract... will report back when i do.

What do you think of the product here: http://www.alohamedi.../cordyceps.html

I emailed them and they sell 1kg for $99USD

#47 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:16 PM

that is just raw, unprocessed mycellium and should have negligible effects... see what i wrote it post 42 of this thread

#48 Steve_86

• 266 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 04:35 PM

that is just raw, unprocessed mycellium and should have negligible effects... see what i wrote it post 42 of this thread

While extracts are much better in terms of potency, raw unprocessed myecellium is much cheaper. Currently I take 15-20grams/day of Smart-Powders cordyceps and it seems to be working fairly well. Do you believe an extract would provide significant benefits over such doses of unprocessed myecellium?

#49 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:03 PM

While extracts are much better in terms of potency, raw unprocessed myecellium is much cheaper. Currently I take 15-20grams/day of Smart-Powders cordyceps and it seems to be working fairly well. Do you believe an extract would provide significant benefits over such doses of unprocessed myecellium?

if you are talking about this: http://www.smartpowd...ductCode=sp058b

it doesnt list any info, but the 7% part leads me to believe its an extract not raw mycellium. if it is indeed an extract you do not want to be taking 15-20g per day. you are also going to want to check into the heavy metal content, as cordyceps is prone to lead contamination from what i've read.

if it IS raw mycellium, because most of the goodies are bound up in the cell walls... and you dont have the capability to digest the cell walls... you are most likely only getting whatever trace amounts have been liberated by pulverization. this is a good article on mushroom bioavailability by a reliable manufacturer.

you can get a good quality bulk extract like this for 60$ and only have to take .75-1.5 grams per day to realize the good effects. its a 15:1 extract so 1g of this extract would be equivalent to 15g raw cordyceps (by weight, ie: if the substances were actually bioavailable) more money out the door, but MUCH more money saved in the long run.

Edited by ajnast4r, 13 November 2010 - 07:06 PM.

• like x 2

#50 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 07:08 PM

they sell wood grown, hot water extracted mushrooms standardized to very specific scientifically defined amounts of the actives

I only found one mention of "standardized" on their website. I think most of them are just regular extracts. Could be wrong?

May be true for some of it. As someone else mentioned, the mycelium is freeze dried, which may or may not matter. Also, their lion's mane extract is the only one I would use or recommend; they extract both the fruit body and mycelium, using water and alcohol separately, then combine them. This suggest to me that, in general, they probably know what they're doing more than most other outfits.

ALL the research I was able to find, and all the references to traditional/TCM consumption were with extracts (water and/or alcohol). this makes me question the bioavailability of unextracted power in a pill.

Amanitas and psilocybin mushrooms are definitely eaten raw, and the study using LM to treat dementia used whole mushrooms in soup. And I'm pretty sure most traditional mushrooms were used whole (at least sometimes), though I don't have any traditional references for mushrooms on hand to demonstrate this.

the non-linear polysaccharides are bound up in the chitinnous cell walls are not bioavailable unless they are heat treated... which breaks up the chitin, releasing the betaglucan.

Human gastric juice contains chitinase that can degrade chitin.
Paoletti MG, Norberto L, Damini R, Musumeci S.
Department of Biology, Laboratory Agroecology and Ethnobiology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy.

Chitin digestion by humans has generally been questioned or denied. Only recently chitinases have been found in several human tissues and their role has been associated with defense against parasite infections and to some allergic conditions. In this pilot study we tested the gastric juices of 25 Italian subjects on the artificial substrates 4-methylumbelliferyl-beta-D-N,N',diacetylchitobiose or/and fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC) chitin to demonstrate the presence of a chitinase activity. Since this chitinase activity was demonstrated at acidic pH, it is currently referred to acidic mammalian chitinase (AMCase). AMCase activity was present in gastric juices of twenty of 25 Italian patients in a range of activity from 0.21 to 36.27 nmol/ml/h and from 8,881 to 1,254,782 fluorescence emission (CPS), according to the used methods. In the remaining five of 25 gastric juices, AMCase activity was almost absent in both assay methods. An allosamidine inhibition test and the measurement at different pH values confirmed that this activity was characteristic of AMCase. The absence of activity in 20% of the gastric juices may be a consequence of virtual absence of chitinous food in the Western diet.

PMID: 17587796 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

• like x 1

#51 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:06 PM

I think most of them are just regular extracts. Could be wrong?

i'm not sure why their website doesnt mention it but you can view more info on iherb: http://www.iherb.com...cience#p=1&sr=0

the reishi i use is 15% betaglucan, 6% triterpenoids

May be true for some of it. As someone else mentioned, the mycelium is freeze dried, which may or may not matter. Also, their lion's mane extract is the only one I would use or recommend; they extract both the fruit body and mycelium, using water and alcohol separately, then combine them. This suggest to me that, in general, they probably know what they're doing more than most other outfits.

are the fungi perfecti line capsules extracted? it doesnt mention anything about it on the website.

Amanitas and psilocybin mushrooms are definitely eaten raw, and the study using LM to treat dementia used whole mushrooms in soup. And I'm pretty sure most traditional mushrooms were used whole (at least sometimes), though I don't have any traditional references for mushrooms on hand to demonstrate this.

in TCM mushrooms are made into soup or tea... which is essentially hot water extraction. i couldnt find any studies or tcm referenced to eating mushrooms raw. a good portion of the medicinal mushrooms arent edible raw... reshi, cordyceps etc are solid & woody.

Human gastric juice contains chitinase that can degrade chitin.
Paoletti MG, Norberto L, Damini R, Musumeci S.
Department of Biology, Laboratory Agroecology and Ethnobiology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy.

Chitin digestion by humans has generally been questioned or denied. Only recently chitinases have been found in several human tissues and their role has been associated with defense against parasite infections and to some allergic conditions. In this pilot study we tested the gastric juices of 25 Italian subjects on the artificial substrates 4-methylumbelliferyl-beta-D-N,N',diacetylchitobiose or/and fluorescein isothiocyanate (FITC) chitin to demonstrate the presence of a chitinase activity. Since this chitinase activity was demonstrated at acidic pH, it is currently referred to acidic mammalian chitinase (AMCase). AMCase activity was present in gastric juices of twenty of 25 Italian patients in a range of activity from 0.21 to 36.27 nmol/ml/h and from 8,881 to 1,254,782 fluorescence emission (CPS), according to the used methods. In the remaining five of 25 gastric juices, AMCase activity was almost absent in both assay methods. An allosamidine inhibition test and the measurement at different pH values confirmed that this activity was characteristic of AMCase. The absence of activity in 20% of the gastric juices may be a consequence of virtual absence of chitinous food in the Western diet.

PMID: 17587796 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE][/indent]

interesting study but, to me, that just proves the need for an extract.. being that 20% of the population in that study lacked the ability to digest chitin. also who knows how much chitin anyone could actually digest & if it would be enough to make the mushrooms medicinally viable.

Edited by ajnast4r, 15 November 2010 - 09:07 PM.

#52 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 01:50 AM

are the fungi perfecti line capsules extracted? it doesnt mention anything about it on the website.

I've only talked to them about the LM stuff. I recall the info on iHerb being more detailed for them, as well. The Host Defense product is freeze-dried mycelium with brown rice substrate. Their extracts are alcohol/water mixes in dropper bottles.

interesting study but, to me, that just proves the need for an extract.. being that 20% of the population in that study lacked the ability to digest chitin. also who knows how much chitin anyone could actually digest & if it would be enough to make the mushrooms medicinally viable.

Well, it's really just a little 'proof of concept' study, it seems to me. Such a small, homogeneous group can't be used as a representative statistic. Maybe some people can't digest the necessary molecules...or maybe the study didn't look for the full range of possible -ases, or maybe they exist further along in the GI tract. This study from 2007 mentions that it's really the first look at the possibility of chitin digestion in humans, due to the widespread assumption of its impossibility.

On the flip side, we have the case of magic mushrooms, which in my limited understanding work for everyone. And despite a couple hours' reading, I couldn't find any references that examined the alleged bioavailability problem. All of this argument seems to be from a) extract companies, and b) sources documenting traditional methods. But neither of these can be a definitive argument without demonstrating the problem they allude to outside of a hypothetical model constructed from untested assumptions.

#53 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2010 - 02:17 AM

On the flip side, we have the case of magic mushrooms, which in my limited understanding work for everyone. And despite a couple hours' reading, I couldn't find any references that examined the alleged bioavailability problem. All of this argument seems to be from a) extract companies, and b) sources documenting traditional methods. But neither of these can be a definitive argument without demonstrating the problem they allude to outside of a hypothetical model constructed from untested assumptions.

what convinced me of the need for extraction, beyond the banter of a few company reps & beyond the need to actually put raw mushrooms head to head with extracted mushrooms was 1) traditionally mushrooms are never consumed raw for medicinal purposes 2) i could not find any research on raw mycellium. i found a small amount on [unextracted] fermented cordyceps, but the rest was extracted in one form or another. i figure its best to stick within the lines of research and traditional consumption.

#54 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 07:45 AM

Cordyceps are common in Chinese herbal
shops in Malaysia.

The better brands are not exactly cheap..

Quite commonly given by Chinese physicians
for lung conditions like bronchitis and asthma.

http://mall.hai-o.co...23&Item_ID=1023

http://mall.hai-o.co...23&Item_ID=1025

http://www.euyansang...herbs/cordyceps

#55 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:00 AM

Everyone over here seems to be importing,
manufacturing or cultivating cordyceps these
days.

http://www.trademal....etail/cat/48141

http://www.dxnmalays...h_cordyceps.php

http://www.timo.com....lish/estore.php

"No ingredients from China."

http://www.alohamedi.../cordyceps.html

#56 aLurker

• 715 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 12:35 PM

How is that working out for you? Are the effects you mentioned previously maintained/diminishing/stronger now than before? Are the effects cumulative, maintained or subject to tolerance?

#57 tham

• 1,406 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 04:50 PM

"Extra Large".

http://mall.hai-o.co...23&Item_ID=1024

" A rule of thumb---low cost Cordyceps is
not wild. The wild Cordyceps will always
be the most expensive. "

" High grade Cordyceps is light brown in color and neat. "

http://www.dragonher...cts.asp?dept=48

" Triple Super quality Cordyceps from Tibet "

http://www.qt-store....akhoors,/Detail

Malaysian biotechology company involved
in fermenting cordyceps.

http://www.bioa.net/rawmaterials.asp

#58 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 November 2010 - 08:21 PM

heard back from dr's best, their product is a hot water extract. i ended up having to stop taking it because it gave me nasty hypoglycemia. it did however, increase my libido pretty potently.

#59 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:37 PM

what convinced me of the need for extraction, beyond the banter of a few company reps & beyond the need to actually put raw mushrooms head to head with extracted mushrooms was 1) traditionally mushrooms are never consumed raw for medicinal purposes 2) i could not find any research on raw mycellium. i found a small amount on [unextracted] fermented cordyceps, but the rest was extracted in one form or another. i figure its best to stick within the lines of research and traditional consumption.

In another post you mention that some european brands do sensible extractions. Did you find any concrete brands, for our european members (and me, incidentially) ?

Edited by shp5, 27 November 2010 - 04:57 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#60 ajnast4r

• Guest, F@H
  • 3,925 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:04 PM

In another post you mention that some european brands do sensible extractions. Did you find any concrete brands, for our european members (and me, incidentially) ?

yea mycopharma is the raw supplier. when i emailed them about distributors they directed me to: www.pilzshop.de

you could email them to find something local to you.

Edited by ajnast4r, 27 November 2010 - 06:06 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users