Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

any supps to help me clean my room?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 csrpj

• 411 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:05 AM

... any similar tasks? basically, stuff i don't want to do on one level but really do on another.

#2 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:25 AM

So you're lacking motivation ? I think that issue has been covered here a few times. Use the search function
  • dislike x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:15 AM

Dude, you're probably depressed and have some self worth issues. You NEED to address this and then you may find yourself doing things you feel good about. Don't expect some quick overnite fix.
  • dislike x 1

#4 csrpj

• Topic Starter
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:22 AM

Dude, you're probably depressed and have some self worth issues. You NEED to address this and then you may find yourself doing things you feel good about. Don't expect some quick overnite fix.

i agree. advice?

#5 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:33 AM

Try taking a stimulant and with a stress adoptogen like ashwanga and maybe something like L-thenine to calm your nerves.

Your going to have to figure out the underlying problem for your lack of motivation, you maybe suffering from CFS or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
  • dislike x 1

#6 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:40 AM

the title of this thread made me laugh so I had to drop in...

I do have a great 'supplement' recommendation for room cleaning, but I am hesitant to give it to you as typically anyone asking these questions is too young to be eligible. But here goes nothing: Marijuana! The window of opportunity is small, as motivation wanes rapidly, however I have found great success with inhaling the herb and doing mundane jobs I don't particularly want to do. Have a toke, put in some ear phones with your favourite tracks, and get in the 'zone' (the domestic house maid zone!). Trust me, before you can sing out the chorus of a Bob Marley track an hours passed and your rooms clean, the washings out, the house is vacuumed, and all your dirty dishes are hanging in the drying rack (well, save the one your eating off)
  • dislike x 1

#7 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:41 AM

i agree. advice?

Oh o, please disregard the advice directly above!!!

#8 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 05:52 AM

the title of this thread made me laugh so I had to drop in...

I do have a great 'supplement' recommendation for room cleaning, but I am hesitant to give it to you as typically anyone asking these questions is too young to be eligible. But here goes nothing: Marijuana! The window of opportunity is small, as motivation wanes rapidly, however I have found great success with inhaling the herb and doing mundane jobs I don't particularly want to do. Have a toke, put in some ear phones with your favourite tracks, and get in the 'zone' (the domestic house maid zone!). Trust me, before you can sing out the chorus of a Bob Marley track an hours passed and your rooms clean, the washings out, the house is vacuumed, and all your dirty dishes are hanging in the drying rack (well, save the one your eating off)

MJ could work, but it can be a depressant and, or a stimulant, it could or just have the opposite effect.

#9 VampIyer

• 204 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 07:11 AM

Exercise, stretch out in the sun shortly after waking (preferably in bright light), eat well and regularly, stimulate your mind productively at least 15 minutes per day (read a chapter in a well-written book, leisurely). Make a specific goal from each of those activities, and cross each one off your list (which should be chronological) sequentially.

Planning: write down how you would go about cleaning your room in small steps (break it down into a 50-step process if necessary). This can be done for anything - everyone does this all the time, but if you're out of practice, then you may need to write it down first. You can plan to do it over the course of a week if you want... as long as you accomplish something each day or on most days. There will need to be a maintenance routine (performed daily, every other day, or weekly) to keep your room clean afterward.

You'd probably need to devote some time into planning out how you want your room configured. It's obviously no small cleaning job, so you may want to think about moving around and/or modifying some furniture (your desk, for instance) to improve productivity. I tend to sketch my room plans, desk/carpentry modifications, etc first. Then I consult a friend about whether or not my ideas are worth entertaining - perhaps you could apply a similar method in the future.

And the supplements listed in this thread are actually: ashwagandha (GABA-mimetic adaptogenic herb with sedating, thyroid-stimulating, cholinergic, and neuron-regenerative action), and L-theanine (amino acid precursor to GABA).

I wouldn't recommend the marijuana... it's usually a bad idea for anything other than occasional recreational use. I don't know too many people who don't suffer a cognitive deficit after having absorbed THC, CBD, and CBN (actives in MJ). Besides that... MJ depletes GABA, causes a temporary dopamine high (and perhaps longterm downregulation of D2-dopamine = slight depression in some users), and may be anti-cholinergic... OK - I'm pulling those facts out of my @ss... and marijuana probably won't cause any long-term harm, but it won't help you long-term, either. - but boy do I LOVE that plant...

Edited by VampIyer, 10 May 2010 - 07:14 AM.

#10 NDM

• 343 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:28 PM

I do remember that some folks here at imminst noticed that after certain supplements (forgot which...) they got obsessed with cleaning and with attention to details...I hope someone will refresh our collective memory...

From the cognitive point of view, the general problem of lack of motivation seems to have to do with an inability to envision the final result (room clean) in great vivid detail and to be so seduced by it that you get carried away through the dark tunnel of unpleasant work to make true that magnetic vision of a better future (may that be simply a clean room);

Last week I tried to convince my ex to come back to me...I was amazed at how well my mind worked and how energized I was...love is the greatest motivator.
  • like x 1

#11 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:21 PM

Invest in the process, not the outcome... Hmmm actually that doesn't work here

#12 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 May 2010 - 02:27 PM

I use to have problems with cleaning as well. I would get distracted so fast that I would move from thing to thing so fast and it would feel everything was coming at me at once. I also used to have a lot of OCD and everything had to have it's proper place/use. What I would recommend is getting 3-5 boxes, label them as general categories like books/toys/etc and then through them all in these boxes and then sort from there. That way it's not so overwhelming. It's still hard for me to get over having boxes/bags with unorganized random crap but it's not so bad anymore.

Also, in this regard, I find Bacopa helpful, and would try that. But like mentioned, get to the root of this.

#13 mikeinnaples

• 1,907 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

So you're lacking motivation ? I think that issue has been covered here a few times. Use the search function

This post is awesome.

I love it... make the lazy, unmotivated guy actually have to do something to get the information. Classic.

#14 Animal

• 689 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 12:11 PM

Maybe he's suffering from some sort of disease or psychological disorder because he doesn't enjoy cleaning his room? No-one fucking does!

Just get some amphetamines down you, or failing that a potent DA/NE reuptake inhibitor in your bloodstream and any repetitive or mundane tasks will suddenly seem far more appealing. Of course, don't let this become a crutch you rely upon to become motivated to actually live life rather then wallow in apathy.
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#15 Chaos Theory

• 272 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:44 PM

Like nearly every thread you make, it sounds like you need to supplement with mixed amphetamine salts or methylphenidate.

#16 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:39 PM

This post is awesome.

I love it... make the lazy, unmotivated guy actually have to do something to get the information. Classic.

Great! You looked it up yourself ? Bad remake of a Classic!

#17 Alex Libman

• 566 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:26 PM

Your subconscious mind might be trying to tell you something... Perhaps it finds the task of cleaning your room simply a bit uninspiring compared to all of the more intellectually stimulating modes of operation that your brain is used to doing: social interaction, verbal and logical reasoning, commerce, Internet, TV, etc. Your subconscious then might have a valid economic point: the time you spend cleaning your room, if applied to a more intellectually stimulating activity, might bring you several times more monetary value than it would cost to hire someone else (ideally a robot, someday) to clean the entire house!

Of course the decision to clean one's room by oneself might not be an issue of economics at all - there are some physical tasks that even a billionaire might choose to do for oneself based on the psychological value s\he finds in the process of doing that task, or its social consequences. Many a famous military "General" has been known for sharpening his own sword, brushing his own horse, polishing his own boots, etc, even though everyone ranking "Lieutenant" or higher could easily order the "foot-soldiers" to do those menial tasks for him. For those "Generals" those acts of were seen to express their attention to detail, relatability to their chain of command, virility, humility, and dignity that other people found inspiring. I've witnessed this phenomenon multiple times when working for small .com startup companies in the 90s: it is the founder / CEO that often ends up refilling the coffee machine or taking out the trash at the end of the night...

Of course there's no reason why one can't combine the two motivations, intellectual interest and the dignity of some occasional manual labor, by listening to a good audio-book, lecture, or podcast while you work.

#18 Destiny's Equation

• 276 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

There is a way to have a spotlessly clean room, no supplements required!

Drum roll please….

Clean up as you go!

Give it a try and let me know how it goes ;) it changed my life; I rarely have to clean my room now.
  • like x 1

#19 MrHappy

• Guest, Moderator
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:44 AM

Since the topic said 'supps', I'm going to choose to read that as suppositories and recommend my foot. :)

Jokes aside, any of the usual stimulants / focus enhancing noots.

• like x 1

#20 Kunal Chatkara

• 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

I do remember that some folks here at imminst noticed that after certain supplements (forgot which...) they got obsessed with cleaning and with attention to details...I hope someone will refresh our collective memory...

From the cognitive point of view, the general problem of lack of motivation seems to have to do with an inability to envision the final result (room clean) in great vivid detail and to be so seduced by it that you get carried away through the dark tunnel of unpleasant work to make true that magnetic vision of a better future (may that be simply a clean room);

Last week I tried to convince my ex to come back to me...I was amazed at how well my mind worked and how energized I was...love is the greatest motivator.

I like the way you think. "an inability to envision the final result.." makes complete sense in regard to where my motivation sits mentally, when travelling the journey of the academic system. ;)

#21 Foodchem Red

• 6 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:27 AM

today do a little, tommorrow do a little, it will be ok.

#22 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

L-tyrosine in high doses (2-4 grams in a single dose) ought to do the trick, and will not pose the dependency risks of amphetamines and related pharmaceuticals. It will temporarily boost dopamine (and thus also norepinephrine) synthesis and release in the CNS, causing a vaguely amphetamine-like boost of energy. But you can't take it every day and have it still work, because the body will downregulate tyrosine absorption into the CNS if you take the L-tyrosine several times in a row.

Sunlight would also be beneficial.

#23 Elus

• 793 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:39 AM

Coffee usually triggers mild feelings of euphoria for me and makes me want to organize my room. Selegiline and tryosine also contribute to this feeling (At least this is my subjective experience).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#24 Luminosity

• 2,000 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:25 AM

Let's knock off telling this person to use mind-altering substances to clean his room. 2,000 probably young impressionable people have viewed this thread.

I would recommend instead some self-expression threads:

What Are You Avoiding Right Now?
http://www.longecity...ding-right-now/

What's Bothering You Right Now?
http://www.longecity...w/page__fromsea

What's Your Joy or Accomplishment?
http://www.longecity...accomplishment/

or find more options here:
http://www.longecity...ession-threads/

Edited by Luminosity, 30 March 2012 - 03:31 AM.

• like x 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users