More sitting correlated with greater mortality regardless of exercise

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Eidnoga_*

• Lurker

Posted 29 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

What do you all make of this?

"Why your desk job is slowly killing you:
Even if you exercise, the more hours a day you sit, the greater your risk of early death."

http://www.msnbc.msn...th-mens_health/

Edited by Eidnoga, 29 October 2010 - 04:33 PM.

#2 Ben

• 2,010 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:32 PM

Bad news for me :(
  • Enjoying the show x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Ghostrider

• 1,996 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

Bad news for me :(

Yeh, that's really bad news for me too...I spend most of my day sitting.

#4 forever freedom

• 2,362 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

Me too. This really sucks. Maybe when we get screens in glasses or optic lenses we can change.

One thing that can be done is to work on the computer while standing. I know a guy who does that, he sets the computer on a tall table and stands most of the day. He says his mind thinks better when he's standing. Maybe there's something to that.
  • Good Point x 1

#5 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

i also think it is bad news for me. for me, as working with sitting for most of the time a day, it is harmful to my health.

#6 dustinw

• Guest, F@H
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 06:54 AM

I've been standing at my computer for a couple years now. It's great. Put the monitor and keyboard up on boxes when I'm tired of sitting, put it back down when I get tired of standing.
  • like x 1

#7 motif

• 107 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 11:27 AM

I work with the computers all day but in labour code states you have right to 5 minutes break every hour, plus hour at the lunch time, trips to bathroom ;) you can get together pretty much reasonable amount of physical movement during work. I take every possible excuse to get up from my desk. Well, we're lazy and not always use this opportunity aren't we? Anyway it's doable.

p.s.

BTW,
don't assume are ancestors were in the move all the time, they're not.

#8 e Volution

• 937 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:06 AM

BTW,
don't assume are ancestors were in the move all the time, they're not.

No, but their amount of low-level activity and movement would far outweigh our modern sitting sedentariness. And this is where the discordance lies.

I am going to convert to a stand up desk soon. I will supplement this with a high stool, so that I can sit periodically throughout the day, but it is an upright non back supported sitting which I think is categorically different to the classic leaned back computer chair where the support allows essentially complete inactivation of your core muscles all day long. This will also hopefully mitigate the classic crossed postural syndrome of the neck, shoulders and arms in a hunched forward position all day long. Just sitting on the ground is much more engaging to your core and posture than the classic chair.

#9 PWAIN

• 1,288 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 12:43 AM

What do you all make of this?

"Why your desk job is slowly killing you:
Even if you exercise, the more hours a day you sit, the greater your risk of early death."

http://www.msnbc.msn...th-mens_health/

Let me just sit down and think this through...... :-D
  • Cheerful x 2

#10 JohnD60

• 540 posts

Posted 13 December 2010 - 04:53 PM

I've been standing at my computer for a couple years now. It's great. Put the monitor and keyboard up on boxes when I'm tired of sitting, put it back down when I get tired of standing.

I like this idea. I will try it. At least the monitor part, raising everything would be a pain. Maybe if I put my entire desk on jacks....

As far as the original article... ehhh... a Mens Health interpretation of some guys PhD Thesis is going to influence me much.

eta... well, that only lasted about 5 minutes. Moving my eyes down to the keyboard then back up to monitor (repeatedly) induced nausea. Elevating the entire desk would be a large project. If I find something I can buy for under $100 that will raise and lower my desk, I will do it, else probably not.

Edited by JohnD60, 13 December 2010 - 05:50 PM.

#11 kenny001

• 63 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 03:10 AM

yes, every day i spend too much time in sitting, it is really not good for my health, i need to do a lot of exercise, but the time is a big problem for me.

#12 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:17 PM

I highly doubt body composition plays no significant role here. And am almost certain that obese people stand to face health problems from being sedentary much sooner than a sedentary person who exercises regularly and has lower BMI. But did I really need to tell anybody this?

Edited by TheFountain, 17 December 2010 - 12:18 PM.

#13 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

Wait a minute, didn't our paleo ancestors sit around alot collecting their energy so they could go tree swinging and other assorted, short bursts of activity?

#14 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:21 PM

There have been a number of "Sitting is bad" threads on this site, but I am unable to find them. Can anyone else?

In any case, here is a list of some good products for working while sitting, some more practical at home than at work, but that really depends on your boss. The price ranges from $30 to way too much.

http://www.latimes.c...7,0,4597.column

#15 karen

• 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 06:36 PM

At home I made a makeshift standing work station. I'll be moving soon, so I'll be making a custom computer station where the monitor can change levels when I want to sit on a balance ball. I figure there's no reason to have a chair. I wish my boyfriend would agree to ditch the sofa too.

I lay down 8 hours a day, and sit plenty while commuting between job sites, and at the sites too. I don't need more ass time.

Posted Image

#16 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

Sitting can't be that bad. Nature built us to sit as well stand, run and walk. I'm sure if you have a desk job there are plenty of things you can do to mitigate whatever possible negative effects come with sitting at a desk. Stand up more often and take more breaks. Stretch your legs throughout the day while sitting. Keep your legs moving. Stretch your back. These steps can't possibly interfere with a productive day at work.

I used to wait tables and would be concerned about the effect it was having on my knees and feet. There is some aspect of most jobs that negatively affect one's health.

Edited by morganator, 08 February 2011 - 11:32 PM.

#17 karen

• 16 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 02:39 AM

Sitting isn't bad. Sitting all day long is bad.
  • dislike x 1

#18 Guest_Eidnoga_*

• Topic Starter
  • Lurker

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:44 AM

I'm highly skeptical that sitting is bad in itself, even for long periods of time. Suppose we have someone who sits for ~10 hours per day (sleeps ~8 hours lying down), but gets ~1 of intense, vigorous resistance exercise per day, has a BMI in the low 20s with ~10% body fat (male, for purposes of example), and eats healthily. Is this individual being harmed simply by sitting for ~10 hours per day? I don't see how, assuming he doesn't sit there for ~10 hours straight (i.e., there is occasional getting up, walking around for a couple minutes every couple hours).

I could, of course, see how lots of sitting might harm overweight, entirely sedentary, or otherwise unhealthy individuals.

Can anyone hypothesize a mechanism by which lots of sitting might harm a healthy individual, though?

#19 yoyo

• 582 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:42 PM

I would guess that even small amounts of activity can bring increased insulin sensitivity if you are somewhat overweight and resistant in general.

Also could be related to either working too much (at office desk) or insufficiently stimulating environment (veging out in front of the telev)

i take a lot of coffee breaks, take the stairs not the elevator, and jog in to stores in the parking lot. I'm fidgety if i don't take amp.

#20 Skötkonung

• 1,556 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 06:22 PM

I highly doubt body composition plays no significant role here. And am almost certain that obese people stand to face health problems from being sedentary much sooner than a sedentary person who exercises regularly and has lower BMI. But did I really need to tell anybody this?

Agreed, many fat people who exercise regularly. Just because you spend an hour at the gym, doesn't mean you'll be fit.

#21 kobokok

• 21 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:22 PM

How about putting your legs up?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by kobokok, 26 June 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#22 motorcitykid

• 276 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:37 AM

Remaining in a sitting position too long causes a drop in the enzyme that removes triglycerides from the blood. This causes triglyceride levels to rise, increasing risk of cardiovascular disease, according to Dr. Len Kravitz at the University of New Mexico. Too much sitting also decreases beneficial HDL cholesterol levels. Over one-third of coronary heart disease deaths are caused by physical inactivity, according to the New York State Department of Health. A sedentary lifestyle creates a risk of cardiovascular disease roughly equivalent to the risk created by smoking, high blood pressure or high cholesterol.

Read more: http://www.livestron.../#ixzz1QoUuOKwi
  • like x 1

#23 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:18 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Not the best example for leading a long life.

Edited by Tyciol, 15 July 2011 - 08:19 PM.

#24 DairyProducts

• 207 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

Look like Silicon Valley has gotten the message. This is the 2nd most emailed article at the Wall Street Journal right now. Maybe some business execs will 'trickle down' this policy to their underlings ....
http://online.wsj.co...cleTabs=article

#25 Boolean

• 95 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:12 PM

I make it a point to stand up and walk around every hour. Another bodybuilder in the office set up his monitor and keyboard so he can stand.

I like the idea of using a yoga ball to sit down... no matter how much you try and focus on it, you can't just sit still. You engage your core muscles just to keep balance. Its comfy, and you're burning calories! TRY IT!

#26 kobokok

• 21 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 12:23 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Not the best example for leading a long life.

Why?

#27 chrono

• Guest, Moderator
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I think it probably had something to do with the picture being from the anime Death Note?

Several previous threads discussing more research and sitting alternatives:

http://www.longecity...a-fact-of-life/
http://www.longecity...sitting-is-bad/
http://www.longecity...or-your-health/

#28 absent minded

• 99 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:24 PM

get xpadder and a gamepad, bind the appropriate keys to your gamepad so you can read the forum threads while standing up :D

....if you're too lazy...as ironic as that sounds... to undertake this DIY project. I also saw this gamepad with all (or most) of the keyboard keys on it and instead of an analog stick I think it has a trackpad which is probably just as good as a mouse. Thing is, I forgot what it's called and it cost like 120 bucks.

It also looked awkward to use when I watched the demo video. It probably takes a long ass time to get used to and then if you do you don't know how ergonomic the movements will be in comparison with the standard keyboard-mouse. And you'd probably have to go to home depot to make some sort of podium for your forearms to rest on. it'd be tiring holding your arms at midwaist

Edited by absent minded, 18 December 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#29 TheKidInside

• 135 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 06:54 PM

Sitting can't be that bad. Nature built us to sit as well stand, run and walk. I'm sure if you have a desk job there are plenty of things you can do to mitigate whatever possible negative effects come with sitting at a desk. Stand up more often and take more breaks. Stretch your legs throughout the day while sitting. Keep your legs moving. Stretch your back. These steps can't possibly interfere with a productive day at work.

I used to wait tables and would be concerned about the effect it was having on my knees and feet. There is some aspect of most jobs that negatively affect one's health.

no, nature made humans squat ;-)

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for EXERCISE to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 icyT

• 326 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 February 2012 - 11:11 PM

Why?

If I were explain why it'd be a spoiler, just watch the Death Note anime, lol.

Edited by Tyciol, 22 February 2012 - 11:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users