- - - - -

Cyproheptadine effect on Anxiety ?

cyproheptadine anxiety cortisol sleep insomnia periactine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BlueCloud

• 540 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 12:32 PM

I've been experimenting with cyproheptadine ( Periactine ) as a sleep aid for my insomnia, as it's available OTC here , with some interesting and unexpected effects.
It did help with sleep , working even better than doxylamine ( wich is one of the very few things that works pretty well on my insomnia) . The effect is very delayed however , taking at least 4 hours before kicking in , and, at 4mg dosage , made me sleep for at least 10 hours the first time, with lots of grogginess upon waking that lasted during the day. When i reduced the dosage to 2 mg , there were less grogginess upon waking, wich dissipated pretty quickly after a few hours.

However the most interesting and unexpected effect was the very noticeable reduced anxiety it brought . At first , i attributed it to the fact that i simply slept pretty well and was feeling more rested ( a state that is very rare for me , as i have a long history of insomnia and CFS among other things , wich i will develop later in a seperate thread ). But this was a very distinct anxiolytic effect that i have never felt before on other occasions where i also had satisfactory sleep. And it was not due to some sedation left-over effect , as after 1 or 2 hours after waking up, the grogginess dissipated and i was feeling quite awake and concentrated.

I knew that cyproheptadine was a sedating anti-histaminic ( it's official use is as an antihistamine ) and anticholinergic ( same as doxylamine ) , but when i did a bit of research on it , i found that it was also a very potent 5-HT2a antagonist , and also somewhat 5-HT2c antagonist too. In fact it seems even more potent than amitryptiline (and probably than trazodone) in it's antagonism of 5-HT2a while being actually less antihistaminic. Cyproheptadine is actually used to reverse the "serotonin syndrome" that can happen with SSRI's.
5-HT2a and 5-HT2c are both linked to anxiety .

It's been 4 days now that i've been taking it ( first day was at 4 mg, then following 3 days at 2 mg) , and the anxiolytic effect is still going on , and it feels very different form any other anxiolytic substance i've taken before ( it includes a long list of both pharmaceutical stuff such as benzo's , as well as supplements like Kava , L-Theanine , Bacopa , etc..).
It's a bit difficult to describe , as english is not my first language , but i can have the same thoughts that would usually provoke various symptoms of anxiety , and nothing would happen , no agitation , no generalised feeling of "fear". And it's very different from the anxiolityc effect that comes from flattening of emotions ( wich i got when i was on SSRI's a long time ago). In fact i can feel all my emotions intact , it's just the "fear" component that seems reduced.

Anybody here with a similar experience with cyproheptadine ?

PS : By the way , Hello :-) I'm a long time lurker, been reading this forum for quite a while but never posted before. I've had a long experience with various supplements for many years now as part of a long history of battling with CFS and it's various ramifications, with more or less success. I will probably open another thread in the Regimen section to relate my experience with supplemennts i'm taking now, and before.
  • like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2 Ark

• 1,729 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 02:10 PM

Any ideas where to get this nice little find>? Please PM ME! :blush:

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 edward777

• 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 10:29 PM

It inhibits cortisol. Cortisol is responsible for the fight or flight response or the fluttery anxious feeling in your stomach. Cortisol secretion is modulated by the release of ACTH from the pituitary, which in turn is controlled by the hypothalamic release of Corticotropin-releasing hormone, CRH. Neuromodulatory drugs such as octreotide, bromocriptine and cyproheptadine modulate the release of ACTH from the pituitary gland, thereby moderating the levels of cortisol in the body.
  • Informative x 1

#4 stillwater

• 116 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:03 PM

I've used it on and off for the same purposes for around 30 years.  The longest I've taken it in a row is around two straight weeks.  I look at it and extremely low dose mirtazapine as my last resort sleep drugs if things go bad and I haven't slept for too many nights, I use them sparingly as they do tend to knock me out for 10+ hours and it can leave me feeling a bit grouchy and spaced out.

In the last year I've favored mirtazapine over cypro because I worry about some of the current data that's been coming out linking anticholinergics to long term dementia. 

#5 BlueCloud

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

wow..thread came back from the dead  :-D

@Stillwater : according to this chart , cyproheptadine is on a lower anticholinergic scale than a lot of other things like diphenhydramine and doxylamine. If not taken on a regular basis, I guess it could be pretty safe in relation to dementia.

Mirtazapine knocks me out for way too long.. Even at lower doses I actually find it has pretty strong anticholinergic effects ( bladder retention , mouth dryness, etc.)

#6 stillwater

• 116 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 04:51 AM

Same, if I decide to take Mirtazapine I only take it pretty early at night so there's more time for it to wear off the next day. Almost all sources say it actually has next to no anticholinergic activity.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 BlueCloud

• Topic Starter
  • 540 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

The effectiveness of cyproheptadine hydrochloride in treatment resistant chronic schizophrenic patients, 13 male patients (ages 35 to 66 yr), in open, unblinded trial, received cyproheptadine hydrochloride 8 mg/day po, with adjustments to 8 and 12 mg/day monthly intervals over 3 to 6 mo. Seven (54%) of the 13 patients had improvements on cyproheptadine hydrochloride, with 4 these patients remaining on cyproheptadine hydrochloride for over a yr with continued improvement. Seven (54%) also noted calming effects and improvements in sleep. It was concluded that cyproheptadine hydrochloride can be beneficial with regard to improved calmness and sleep, to mood and energy levels and to e negative and even positive psychotic symptoms in a subgroup chronic schizophrenics nonresponsive to other therapies.
[Bacher NM, et al; J Clin Psychopharmacol 14 (6): 424-25 (1994)] **PEER REVIEWED** PubMed Abstract

http://toxnet.nlm.ni...erm @DOCNO 3048

It looks like cyproheptadine may have effects that extend beyond its excellent sleep inducing properties...

PS : Totally unrelated the issue discussed here, but this is very intriguing : http://www.longecity...cyproheptadine/

Edited by BlueCloud, 23 March 2016 - 01:45 PM.

• like x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cyproheptadine, anxiety, cortisol, sleep, insomnia, periactine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users