Photo
- - - - -

Too much Curcumin a pro-oxidant?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 debu

• 108 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 08:43 PM

I read this on another board and was wondering what the opinion is? Anyone have links to research that backs this up?

"It's also important to separate out specific compounds that can have pro-oxidant effects in excess (curcumin is actually one of these) from those that do not. Taking so much of an anti-oxidant that it becomes a pro-oxidant is not an explanation for why antioxidants are bad, it's an explanation for why a specific antioxidant should not be taken to excess."

http://www.mindandmu...ny-antioxidants

#2 Sillewater

• 1,076 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:45 AM

Unsure if curcumin could become a pro-oxidant but other anti-oxidants (C,E,NAC,etc...) could have a pro-oxidant effect.

Beyond the pro-oxidant effect, too much antioxidants in general (actual in vivo antioxidants!) could have a detrimental effect:

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 JLL

• 2,192 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

Same thing with green tea:

Green Tea as a Pro-oxidant: Too Much of a Good Thing?

But the question is whether you could ever absorb enough to cause oxidation. You can't, for example, drink enough green tea to turn it into a pro-oxidant in vivo. A curcumin extract combined with piperine might put you in the unhealthy zone, though.
  • like x 2

#4 Thorsten3

• 1,123 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:09 PM

Why don't you register over at M&M and ask Ex Dubio himself (i know he wrote that statement because I read it myself).

He doesn't specify when he says higher amounts... but I'd guess in the supplemental form of 500mg (even with piperine) it wouldn't be going into the ballpark of 'pro-oxidant'. You're pretty safe I'd imagine unless your consuming it in grams and adding piperine to the mix as well.

He's also commented that curcumin in higher dosges would be extrememly unpleasnt in terms of effects and not anti-depressant at all so not sure why anyone would want to try this as even 500mg (without piperine) has unpleasant pyscoactive effects for me.

Although saying this, higher dosing of curcumin has significantly greater effects on inflammation if that's what you're after (probably makes you feel like shit though)

Edited by HyperHydrosis, 26 May 2011 - 10:14 PM.

• dislike x 1

#5 debu

• Topic Starter
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:23 PM

Why don't you register over at M&M and ask Ex Dubio himself (i know he wrote that statement because I read it myself).

He doesn't specify when he says higher amounts... but I'd guess in the supplemental form of 500mg (even with piperine) it wouldn't be going into the ballpark of 'pro-oxidant'. You're pretty safe I'd imagine unless your consuming it in grams and adding piperine to the mix as well.

He's also commented that curcumin in higher dosges would be extrememly unpleasnt in terms of effects and not anti-depressant at all so not sure why anyone would want to try this as even 500mg (without piperine) has unpleasant pyscoactive effects for me.

Although saying this, higher dosing of curcumin has significantly greater effects on inflammation if that's what you're after (probably makes you feel like shit though)

Would have initially, but there were some server changes over there that required a password reset and the system took days to send me a new confirmation. I figured a few pills wouldn't be in the pro-oxidant range, but thought he may have read something I hadn't. thanks for the replies.

Edited by debu, 26 May 2011 - 10:24 PM.

#6 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:17 PM

After reading the 2006 study linked below, I've been a little concerned. I take 900mg per day tumeric extract (95% curcuminoids) with 1tsp black pepper. If any are aware of this issue having been discussed elsewhere in the forums, and if it's not too much trouble, could you plaese link the thread(s)?

http://toxsci.oxford...t/91/2/476.full

Our data suggested that low doses of curcumin did not damage DNA, and at the low doses, curcumin could play an antioxidant role in carcinogenesis. But at high doses, curcumin itself imposed oxidative stress and damaged DNA. This study helps support the hypothesis that curcumin may play a conflicting dual role in carcinogenesis according to its doses. We also concluded that the extensive mtDNA damage may be an initial event triggering the observed curcumin-induced cell death.

Edited by revenant, 05 June 2011 - 11:22 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:28 PM

Could it also be that oftentimes it is extracted overseas using a cheap and more toxic method than allowed in the states?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users