* * * * * 1 votes

DMAE + TMG

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thedevinroy

• 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 June 2011 - 06:57 PM

DMAE is often confused as a bioavailable source of choline because it can cross the BBB. Studies show that DMAE is not converted into acetylcholine past the BBB (study here). It's true that it is structurally similar to choline, but it is missing a methyl group. The liver can methylate it into choline. Thus, DMAE is considered a way to reduce overmethylation by some nutritionists.

After its conversion into choline, it can be phosphorized by Choline Kinase into phosphocholine and eventually become phosphatidylcholine after 3 more reactions. Therefore DMAE is a poor source of choline when compared to other sources like choline, phosphatidylcholine, CDP Choline, and Alpha GPC. DMAE, however, is shown to be effective for a variety of other purposes such as removing lipofuscin and as a general stimulant. Further implication as a stimulant exists due to its tolerance build up with repeated use.

I do notice a stimulating effect with DMAE if taken sublingually, mixed with a drink, or in high doses. I bought some because it was cheap and have been meaning to try it for a couple reasons. I knew it wasn't the best source of choline, but it was studied as a treatment for attention span and general fatigue. It's kind of nice to have around to just throw in a glass of water with some lemon juice and use it in place of an energy drink. But I was thinking about the methylation thing...

In order to make the most of DMAE, should I be taking it with a methyl doner such as TMG (trimethylglycine)?

Or perhaps is that why I get a stimulating effect from DMAE?

Edited by devinthayer, 27 June 2011 - 07:25 PM.

#2 thedevinroy

• Topic Starter
  • 1,188 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

Check Out This Post:
http://www.longecity...dpost__p__33416

Pretty informative. I suppose DMAE has anticholinergic effects like methylphenidate (Concerta, Ritalin, etc.), and this is why I feel stimulated. It does increase choline, but not acetylcholine. Perhaps it competes for the enzyme Choline Acetyltransferase ... that would make a lot of sense, actually. My memory sucks as well as my focus. I get no ill effects from choline supplementation other than some insomnia if I don't close my eyes (don't feel as tired). DMAE and choline supplements seem to work the same for me in terms of need for sleep. I've never had a choline headache... generally don't get headaches unless I'm sick, took a whole bunch of Kanna extract (mesembrine), or suffering from caffeine withdrawal. DMAE didn't do a thing for my memory and not much for my focus, either. It just felt good.

On another note, the post says not to take DMAE with TMG or ALCAR because they share a common transporter for absorption. I don't know what you can get away with in terms of dosage for each... as in, I'm not sure where the ceiling is that causes the transporters to become overworked. Since DMAE effects seem to wear off so quickly, my guess would be that there are plenty of transporters to go around and adding in some TMG wouldn't do too much at a normal dose.

Regardless, I ran out of DMAE last week. Not planning on buying it for a while until I try some more supplements. Just ordered L-Tyrosine, Bacopa, and Choline Bitartate as well as re-ordered Huperzine A and Hordenine (freebase this time, which is not as potent, IMHO, as HCL version). We'll see how those go before I give DMAE another shot. If someone can convince me that DMAE is for me, I may re-order. Takers?

Edited by devinthayer, 03 July 2011 - 03:20 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users