* * * * * 1 votes

Beware of GliSodin

glisodin withdrawal effects

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Johann

• 372 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:40 PM

I tried Glisodin back in mid May and went through two bottles of it before running out in mid June. Glisodin is a powerful supplement. It delivers all of the hype behind it. But there is a downside. Because GliSodin is not a precursor to superoxide dismutase, rather, it is SOD itself, and bound to gliadin for improved absorption, it directly supplies SOD to the body. And though the effects are immediate and quite noticeable, cessation results in a dramatic decrease of endogenous SOD production.

While on SOD, I could be in the sun for hours with no burn. Without it, in one hour I was burnt. I did not even expect to get burnt or I would not have stayed out long. And not only that, but my body feels dramatically like crap and I have not yet fully recovered my SOD natural production. It has been three months since I've been off of the GliSodin.

If you take nothing else away from this post: Don't get started on GliSodin unless you have the money to be on it for life. It is not a supplement to just "try out" to see whether or not you like it. It works. It works too well. But once you are on it, you have to stay on it.
  • like x 2
  • Informative x 1

#2 Johann

• Topic Starter
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

One other thing: While I was not on the GliSodin long enough to notice any darkening of the hair, since being off of it, my hair
has started turning grayer at a MUCH faster rate.

Edited by Johann, 15 September 2011 - 04:19 PM.

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:41 PM

I have read that broccoli sprouts increase SOD, any truth to this??

#4 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 04:43 PM

What was your dosage?

#5 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:28 PM

Incidentally, just finished my first bottle of LEF's 'Endothelial Defense with GliSODin' 10 days ago.(1 cap/day with 250mg). And just having enjoyed bright sunshine for hours this afternoon I wasn't burned. Maybe something else might be the cause for your troubles?
  • like x 1

#6 Johann

• Topic Starter
  • 372 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:50 PM

I'm not here to debate it. I controlled for all other factors. I understand and did employ the scientific method. And this thread
is not about other means (broccoli, wolfberry, etc) of increasing SOD.

Not all people are the same. Some may try GliSodin and then stop with no noticeable effects. I am reporting only
what happened to me. There is also another poster here on the forum that had brought up the same issue a while back.
  • dislike x 2
  • Enjoying the show x 1
  • Well Written x 1
  • Unfriendly x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#7 Methos000

• 144 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Incidentally, just finished my first bottle of LEF's 'Endothelial Defense with GliSODin' 10 days ago.(1 cap/day with 250mg). And just having enjoyed bright sunshine for hours this afternoon I wasn't burned. Maybe something else might be the cause for your troubles?

Yeah, but just wait until you stop after your 3rd bottle...!

#8 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:19 PM

Yeah, I am one of those people who have been on it for a while, then stopped it, and noticed no difference.

"cessation results in a dramatic decrease of endogenous SOD production". Sources please.
  • Informative x 1
  • Agree x 1

#9 yucca06

• 74 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

No noticeable effects for me after stopping it a few weeks ago. And I was "on" for months.
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#10 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

I was on it for years.
  • Good Point x 1
  • like x 1

#11 pamojja

• 2,841 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, but just wait until you stop after your 3rd bottle...!

Only had 2 bottle, so it wont come that far ;-) ...also a bid too pricey for it's alleged benefits.

I'm not here to debate it. I controlled for all other factors. I understand and did employ the scientific method. And this thread
is not about other means (broccoli, wolfberry, etc) of increasing SOD.

Not all people are the same. Some may try GliSodin and then stop with no noticeable effects. I am reporting only
what happened to me.

Didn't meant to step on your toes. And only reporting what happened to me is what I did too.

However, your mentioning the 'scientific method' really makes me curious what you could mean by that? How could you rule out other maybe difficult to diagnose conditions? Guess the best validation would be SOD activity by blood tests before, during and after quiting supplementation..

#12 mastercowboy

• 131 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 09:11 PM

I was ready to use it as a part of my dual Neurotransmitter deficiency (Dopamine and Serotonin) after the suggestion from the "Balance your Brain" book.It was the last one in the list of the supplements and noted as a "new weapon against free radicals" but the only contraidication is for those who have Gliadin sensitivity or Wheat allergy.Also it is rather expensive in recommended doses.

I am skeptical after reading your reaction to sun...

What was the brand you have used?

Edited by mastercowboy, 15 September 2011 - 09:12 PM.

#13 pycnogenol

• 1,164 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 10:58 PM

I've been taking Glisodin every day for about 4 years and have not had any issues but then again I only take 100 mg per day.

I currently take the Bluebonnet brand and it runs me about $100 a year.

#14 Johann

• Topic Starter
  • 372 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:58 AM

Mastercowboy,
I was taking Vitacost's brand of Glisodin and alternating between 500 mg and 750 mg per day. It was only at this
level of supplementation that I could notice remarkable improvements in mental clarity and overall well being. However, at that rate, say, 3 pills a day,
one bottle of 60 would last me 20 days, ergo, my monthly cost would run $24.89 per month, or $300 per year.

#15 mastercowboy

• 131 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 06:22 PM

The book recommends 500mg per day...

#16 Athanasios

• 2,616 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:47 PM

I couldn't find other reports of this happening via google. Another possibility is that the glisodin may have been hiding the effects of an issue that you acquired during supplementation.
  • Good Point x 1

#17 mrak1979

• 232 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:25 AM

Is 500mg/day really the consensus recommended dose to benefit noticeably from the free radical protection?

#18 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 September 2011 - 03:33 AM

Get back on it then titrate down your dose slowly. Maybe add something like jiaogulan or sulforaphane to kick start your own innate production of SOD as well as taking extra zinc/copper/manganese.

Thanks for the heads up by the way ! This is good feedback.
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#19 hallucinogen

• 359 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:08 PM

IS THERE a natural precursor to SOD ? ...

and the situation described by the original poster is totally believable, - can we find out exactly the regulation mechanism in the body for concentration levels of SOD ??? ...
maybe buffers, precursors, metabolic by-products, etc

Edited by hallucinogen, 05 October 2011 - 07:10 PM.

#20 Logan

• 1,869 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

I've been taking Glisodin every day for about 4 years and have not had any issues but then again I only take 100 mg per day.

I currently take the Bluebonnet brand and it runs me about $100 a year.

Why are you taking it? And do you think you feel better because of it?

#21 Tithonus

• 30 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:44 AM

Isn't gliadin the main irritant in gluten? Seems like this would be a much faster way to cause gluten sensitivities, etc

#22 Alec

• 88 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:04 AM

Get back on it then titrate down your dose slowly. Maybe add something like jiaogulan or sulforaphane to kick start your own innate production of SOD as well as taking extra zinc/copper/manganese.

Thanks for the heads up by the way ! This is good feedback.

I agree with taking extra zinc, copper and manganese. Although I don't think there's much evidence that going above RDA amounts significantly increases SOD production. It's also important to have protein in the diet because of the amino acid requirement. Brown rice, milk and peas are good sources. If it's hard to eat enough of those foods than consider a few grams of protein powder from those three to make up for it.

Edited by Alec, 06 October 2011 - 04:07 AM.

#23 bestbefore

• 48 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:16 AM

Would taking Glisodin make sense if you have alopecia androgenetica and greying hair?

#24 hamishm00

• 1,053 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

It may help with grey hair as it boosts catalase, that's assuming that declining catalase levels and increasing hydrogen peroxide is responsible for the so called 'bleaching' of dark hair to grey/white hair. A more plausible explanation seems to be that accumulated DNA damage to melanocyte stem cells may be the cause of greying - whether or not this is slowed down by Glisodin supplementation is unclear.

Despite Glisodin supplementation for a few years now I am getting a few grey hairs, although at a slower rate than my brother (2 years older) it seems.

Edited by hamishm00, 06 October 2011 - 08:50 AM.

#25 bestbefore

• 48 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

It may help with grey hair as it boosts catalase, that's assuming that declining catalase levels and increasing hydrogen peroxide is responsible for the so called 'bleaching' of dark hair to grey/white hair. A more plausible explanation seems to be that accumulated DNA damage to melanocyte stem cells may be the cause of greying - whether or not this is slowed down by Glisodin supplementation is unclear.

Despite Glisodin supplementation for a few years now I am getting a few grey hairs, although at a slower rate than my brother (2 years older) it seems.

How much did you take? Thanks.

#26 Alec

• 88 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

Blood Superoxide Dismutase (SOD) Decrease Following Oral Administration of Plant SOD to Healthy Subjects
Kinoyama, M. Nitta, H. Hara, S. Watanabe, A. Shirao, K.

Pages 612-613

Smokers and sportspeople who are easily affected by oxidative stress need to ingest sufficient quantities of foods including antioxidant minerals (Cu, Zn, Fe, Se) in order to replenish the coenzymes of antioxidant enzymes (SOD, glutathione peroxidase, catalase, etc) and antioxidant vitamins (C and E). However, it will be necessary to show further scientific evidences as to whether there is any need for ingestion of antioxidant health foods containing plant SOD.

Source: Journal of Health Science, 53(5) 608-614 (2007)
  • Informative x 1

#27 Lufega

• 1,811 posts
  • NO

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:48 AM

Does oral SOD act more as an extracellular or intracellular agent ? I'm hoping it would substitute the function of extracellular SOD (SOD3)

#28 Alec

• 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

Does oral SOD act more as an extracellular or intracellular agent ? I'm hoping it would substitute the function of extracellular SOD (SOD3)

Research documents provided by Glisodin seem to show SOD1. This is from Glisodin documents:

At the end of 21 days of supplementation, patients receiving GliSODin were found to have normalized circulating SOD1 activity and total antioxidant status, while no such effects were observed in the placebo or non-protected SOD groups. The researchers concluded that GliSODin could improve antioxidant defenses.

So I think that the idea is to make it function in the body like SOD3. But then there are some differences between the three types of SOD:

Super-SOD: superoxide dismutase chimera fights off inflammation
Andrew Gow and Harry Ischiropoulos

Paragraphs 2-3

The three SOD isomers, cytosolic Cu,Zn SOD (SOD1), mitochondrial MnSOD (SOD2), and extracellular Cu,Zn SOD (SOD3), have been shown to have some therapeutic utility in protecting organ systems from oxidative stress, particularly in animal model systems of disease. However, the success of these therapies has been limited due to a variety of reasons such as the short half-life of the protein in circulation, inability to associate with the cellular surface, and slow rates of equilibration between the vascular and interstitial spaces. Primarily due to the small molecular radius of SOD1 injected into circulation, it is rapidly (half-life of 10 min) cleared by the kidneys. Furthermore, its negative charge does not allow SOD1 to interact with cell surfaces and reduces its ability to enter the interstitium. Moreover, the therapeutic efficacy of SOD1 exhibits a bell-shaped curve after systemic administration, which, although not well understood, further limits the concentration of this protein that can be administered pharmacologically. These limitations are partially alleviated by the use of SOD2, which is the least negatively charged SOD, and in the tetrameric form has a molecular radius of 40 Å, which retards its clearance by the kidneys (plasma half-life of 4 h). Despite its larger size, SOD2 equilibrates nearly four times faster that SOD1 within interstitial spaces.

SOD3 is normally tagged to the cellular surface via its hydrophilic positively charged “tail”, which gives the protein its heparin-binding ability. Previously, it has been shown that cleavage of this tail results in the release of SOD3 from the cellular surface and that this loss may contribute to the sensitivity of the endothelium to oxidative insults. Furthermore, a major contributor of reactive intermediates near or at the endothelial plasma membrane is the NADPH oxidase. It is now recognized that a family of membrane-associated proteins (NOX) are responsible for generating superoxide and hydrogen peroxide in vascular endothelium and smooth muscle cells potentially for defense purposes and for cell signaling. The NOX enzymes appear to be composed of the typical low-potential membrane gp91phox flavoprotein that reduces oxygen to superoxide, as well as of cytosolic proteins, which in response to stimuli assemble into a functional oxidase. The generation of superoxide in the vascular compartment not only from activated inflammatory cells but also from vascular cells contributes to adverse effects of tissue injury during inflammation and other vascular disorders.

Paper link: http://ajplung.physi...284/6/L915.full

Edited by Alec, 11 October 2011 - 07:18 AM.

#29 dear mrclock

• 557 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:16 AM

this is a good thread but almost 1 year old. any updates on it please ?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:46 AM

Yeah, I am one of those people who have been on it for a while, then stopped it, and noticed no difference.

"cessation results in a dramatic decrease of endogenous SOD production". Sources please.

Same for me. The only effect I noticed after stopping it was that I had more cash!
  • Cheerful x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users