* * * * * 1 votes

Thread on St. John's Wort and photosensitivity

st. johns wort photosensitivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 j03

• 592 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:21 AM

A common side effect of St. John's Wort is photosensitivity which can lead to cataracts. There are a few anecdotal claims that New Chapter's St John's SC27 does not cause photosensitivity like other strains of St. John's Wort.

SC27 is almost pure hyperforin, with trace amounts of the whole plant. Perika and Kira contains a large amount of the other components that make up St. John's Wort (hypericin). It's the hypericin that is responsible for the photosensitivity some claim.

I have not found any studies or evidence confirming that SC27 won't cause photosensitivity and an email to New Chapter didn't get an answer to that question, just a reply that it's effective for mood, etc.

So, does SC27 cause photosensitivity? Is the risk lower than other brands?

Edited by j03, 03 December 2011 - 02:32 AM.

#2 Want_more_hair

• 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

I have experienced photo sensitivity with hypericin rich extracts (cheap brand though).

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 SocietyOfMind

• 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

I can't answer your question regarding SC27. However, I personally cannot take St John's Wort in summer at all - my skin ends up very red and damaged with even moderate sun.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: st. johns wort, photosensitivity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users