2012 Interview with Kevin Perrott

kevin perrott sens senescent cell research podcast kevinperrot

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

Kevin Perrott has agreed to an interview for the Longecity Now podcast.

I am hoping to conduct the interview before the end of this month. Kevin Perrott has recently moved to California to conduct some SENS-type research. He made a forum post about this topic and his support for life extension here.

I am hoping to ask him what his thoughts are about the recent blockbuster research result of senescent cell removal in mice and brainstorm ways that the Longecity community can help further this research.

Please post any questions you want asked of Kevin here in the forum.

Attached Files

Edited by Mind, 21 April 2013 - 01:11 PM.

• like x 1

#2 brokenportal

• Life Member, Moderator
  • 7,046 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'm wondering what kinds of further opportunities he sees with his new role at the American Aging Association. I see they say they were one of the first places to push for aging awareness and that they support a wide variety of approaches, from aging for the understanding of it, to general research, to clinical trials etc. I suspect they may embrace the longevity dividend mindset, which is another step in the right direction, but then maybe also unlimited lifespans, maybe even cryonics, and things like that.

#3 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 09:22 PM

What is his view on how to rapidly live longer and healthier?
  • For compounds that are available and well known and already demonstrate good health effects (like metformin or other to come soon from the ITP or Spindler), do we have the appropriate context now to investigate with AAA their global health effects in 2012
    • in aged persons?
    • in cats and dogs? for petfood to promote the meme
  • For longevity genes that are already in long lived humans, like special versions of APOE, IGF1 and FOXO3a, do we have now the appropriate context to investigate with AAA their therapy in volunteers who do not have those genes?
  • To assess other genes/compounds/interventions, how can we boost ITP/Spindler like studies?
  • How can we boost more fondamental research against aging, like SENS?
  • Following the numerous young-blood rejuvenating factor studies of this year, do we have now the appropriate context to investigate if aged persons who received blood from young donors get a benefit?
  • Would he know AAA plans regarding the points above?
Kevin, I know I'm a bit pushy with such questions, but that's your goal in life too and hey time is passing so fast if we don't act

Edited by AgeVivo, 10 January 2012 - 08:53 PM.

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:17 PM

Good questions AgeVivo and BP. I will be sure to ask some of them.

#5 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:46 PM

I'm wondering what kinds of further opportunities he sees with his new role at the American Aging Association. I see they say they were one of the first places to push for aging awareness and that they support a wide variety of approaches, from aging for the understanding of it, to general research, to clinical trials etc. I suspect they may embrace the longevity dividend mindset, which is another step in the right direction, but then maybe also unlimited lifespans, maybe even cryonics, and things like that.

Great question. I got involved with AGE because of the importance of understanding the academic community and the evolution of the traditional biogerontologist's thinking on the development of late-life interventions in aging. I was pleasantly surprised to find that most do think that intervening in the aging process is possible through optimization metabolism, for instance with the drug rapamycin which is the latest most promising candidate for a broad-spectrum anti-degenerative drug. The power of American Aging Association is in its members, as might be obvious, in their knowledge and their work. Harnessing this to promote aging research broadly requires a budget for outreach which unfortunately does not exist but we are hoping to find further funding to help in that regard moving forward.

#6 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:58 PM

What is his view on how to rapidly live longer and healthier?

• For compounds that are available and well known and already demonstrate good health effects (like metformin or other to come soon from the ITP or Spindler), do we have the appropriate context now to investigate with AAA their global health effects in 2012
    • in aged persons?
  • For longevity genes that are already in long lived humans, like special versions of APOE, IGF1 and FOXO3a, do we have now the appropriate context to investigate with AAA their therapy in volunteers who do not have those genes?
  • To assess other genes/compounds/interventions, how can we boost ITP/Spindler like studies?
  • Following the numerous young-blood rejuvenating factor studies of this year, do we have now the appropriate context to investigate if aged persons who received blood from young donors get a benefit?
Kevin, I know I'm a bit pushy with such questions, but that's your goal in life too and hey time is passing so fast if we don't act

At 48 years old (I was 40 when I joined ImmInst) no one is more acutely aware of the passage of time, I assure you! ;) Do not apologize for being impatient with the slow progress that has been made given the huge potential that exists...

The questions you ask are great scientific and experimental strategy questions, and could discuss them at great length, but I would propose that perhaps they are not the most pertinent in moving the mission forward. What we need is more funding and manpower focused on the problem, there is no shortage of ideas. In essence we need to have 10% of the population of the United States believing in the importance and potential of real aging interventions. This is a scientifically validated percentage of a population that needs to hold a deeply held belief to get to a tipping point which would then see the entire public supporting a movement to combat degenerative disease. The science will come.

We need to continue to push hard to raise public awareness using social media and all other available avenues about what is really possible with new and emerging technologies and knowledge. The status-quo is not going to deliver the goods in a time frame that most of us would be happy with and we need to innovate to tap into the energy of those who are the most motivated to get things done, the patients and their caregivers. The Science is there to be discovered, we have proofs of principle that can serve as poster children to advocate for resources. As a senior biogerontologist I know said, "We need marketing."

Thanks all for the opportunity to share.

#7 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

I have the podcast with Kevin "in the can" - just recorded today. I just need to edit it and post it. I am aiming for posting it early next week. He had a lot of interesting comments about senescent cell research and how Longecity can best help out in the war against aging. As in the past he was a great person to interview! He is always looking forward.

#8 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

"We need marketing."

Thanks all for the opportunity to share.

Marketing is one thing. I'm sure you have many things to read and I thank your answer, but rather than "interesting research ideas" the main points I've listed above are concrete paths in our society from current state of the art (at different levels; fundamental/ applied) to longevity in humans: concrete ladders from A to B to C to long life. If you can build them, then you have a freeway to longevity

Edited by AgeVivo, 12 January 2012 - 10:22 PM.

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 09:24 PM

The podcast is now edited. It will be uploaded to this forum shortly.

The main takeways I got from the interview:
  • That senescent cells have some legitimate roles in the body, it is just that some of them turn into zombie producers of inflammatory signals.
  • The the mice in the Mayo study still died, meaning that senescent cells were not the causative factor in their death. They were certainly more healthy due to the removal of senescent cells, but they still died.
  • Kevin suggests that we continue to connect people with good research ideas and continue our outreach efforts in general to move along anti-aging research.
  • Of course, money is always a big help
  • Kevin mentioned the development of high throughput technology as something key to moving anti-aging and rejuvenation research along faster. lab work is slow, any technology that can speed it up is very welcome. I am unsure if this is something Longecity can help out with, but it is good to hear it from someone "in the lab".

#10 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 10:40 PM

I had been waiting for the MP3 to be hosted on the Imminst server and linked into this forum, but I am unsure when it will be uploaded, so if you want to download and listen to it, here is the link to the sendspace file: http://www.sendspace.com/file/2a8dvc

#11 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 07:16 PM

Mind interviews Kevin Perrott, dotoral Student at he Buck Institute, leader at SENS Foundation, LifeStar and American Aging Association

Duration: 15 min
Participants: Mind, Kevin

http://www.longecity.org/media/LongeCityPodcast_Kevin2012_A01.mp3

DOWNLOAD: (~17 MB)
http://www.longecity.org/media/LongeCityPodcast_Kevin2012_A01.mp3

Edited by Mind, 28 January 2012 - 01:03 PM.

• like x 1

#12 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:35 PM

Bravo! Kevin Perrott says money & communication (to blog, to advocate in the social media) is thought be very important towars healthy life extension

#13 revenant

• 306 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:12 PM

Very edifying...thanks very much Mind and Mr Perrot!

#14 kevin

• Member, Guardian
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:31 AM

Thanks all, it was a pleasure.

#15 AgeVivo

• Guest, Engineer
  • 2,110 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm reading those questions again... it's perhaps because it reflects my current vision, but I do think that those are the things to do now.

• in aged persons?

#16 caliban

• Admin, Advisor, Director
  • 9,150 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

File Name: LongeCityPodcast_Kevin2012
File Submitter: caliban
File Submitted: 08 Jan 2013
File Category: Podcasts
Guest: Kevin Perrot

Mind interviews Kevin Perrott, dotoral Student at he Buck Institute, leader at SENS Foundation, LifeStar and American Aging Association

Click here to download this file

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kevin perrott, sens, senescent cell research, podcast, kevinperrot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users