• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Vitamin K

vimmortal 2.0 vitamin k

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Vitamin K (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Vitamin K?

1. Yes (23 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

2. No (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:09 PM

Vitamin K?

#2 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yes, MK7 reduces calcium deposits in arteries.
MK4 prevents and/or reduces osteoporosis.

"At least one, possibly both. If only one, I prefer MK7.
  • like x 1

#3 hivemind

• 417 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:20 PM

At least MK7. If possible, then also MK4 and K1.

Edited by hivemind, 26 January 2012 - 10:52 PM.

#4 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:27 PM

Hmmm, I think I kind-of messed up on this poll. I should have split it up into the different forms of K. In Vimmortal 1.0 we had K1 and K2 (phytonadione & menaquinone7). I can either restart this poll from zero (with K1 and K2 both in the voting) or we can vote here to include some form or forms of K and then hash out the details in the "Amounts" and "Forms" sections. What do you think?

#5 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 06:31 PM

For a nutrient as important and lacking in most diets, we should use a full spectrum k like LEF super K http://www.iherb.com...els/14619?at=0.

#6 DukeNukem

• 2,008 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:16 PM

Forget K1. Instead, use both versions of K2. The importance of K2 simply cannot be underestimated.

#7 gt190

• 16 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:18 PM

For a nutrient as important and lacking in most diets, we should use a full spectrum k like LEF super K http://www.iherb.com...els/14619?at=0.

i am also about to start taking this.

along with vitamin d and mag

#8 Alec

• 88 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:55 PM

I think vitamin K1 has been underestimated because phylloquinone converts to vitamin K2 in the body. I wouldn't have a problem with K2 MK-7 as long as the amounts for both are below the 100% RDA and the level of K1 is greater than K2. Something like 60 mcg to 20 mcg or 40 to 20 etc. There are various factors involved in increasing and maintaining bone mass so they have to be considered as well. Vitamin D and calcium in the diet will help vitamin K1 work better and flavonoids may help prevent bone loss to a degree.

Vitamin K and bone health.
Weber P.
SourceVitamins and Fine Chemicals Division, Human Nutrition & Health, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, CH-4070 Basel, Switzerland.
Erratum in
Nutrition 2001 Nov-Dec;17(11-12):1024.

In the past decade it has become evident that vitamin K has a significant role to play in human health that is beyond its well-established function in blood clotting. There is a consistent line of evidence in human epidemiologic and intervention studies that clearly demonstrates that vitamin K can improve bone health. The human intervention studies have demonstrated that vitamin K can not only increase bone mineral density in osteoporotic people but also actually reduce fracture rates. Further, there is evidence in human intervention studies that vitamins K and D, a classic in bone metabolism, works synergistically on bone density. Most of these studies employed vitamin K(2) at rather high doses, a fact that has been criticized as a shortcoming of these studies. However, there is emerging evidence in human intervention studies that vitamin K(1) at a much lower dose may also benefit bone health, in particular when coadministered with vitamin D. Several mechanisms are suggested by which vitamin K can modulate bone metabolism. Besides the gamma-carboxylation of osteocalcin, a protein believed to be involved in bone mineralization, there is increasing evidence that vitamin K also positively affects calcium balance, a key mineral in bone metabolism. The Institute of Medicine recently has increased the dietary reference intakes of vitamin K to 90 microg/d for females and 120 microg/d for males, which is an increase of approximately 50% from previous recommendations.

Low plasma phylloquinone concentration is associated with high incidence of vertebral fracture in Japanese women.
Tsugawa N, Shiraki M, Suhara Y, Kamao M, Ozaki R, Tanaka K, Okano T.
SourceDepartment of Hygienic Sciences, Kobe Pharmaceutical University, 4-19-1 Motoyamakita-machi, Higashinada-ku, Kobe 658-8558, Japan.

It has been reported that vitamin K supplementation effectively prevents fractures and sustains bone mineral density in osteoporosis. However, there are only limited reported data concerning the association between vitamin K nutritional status and bone mineral density (BMD) or fractures in Japan. The objectives were to evaluate the association between plasma phylloquinone (K1) or menaquinone (MK-4 and MK-7) concentration and BMD or fracture in Japanese women prospectively. A total of 379 healthy women aged 30-88 years (mean age, 63.0 years) were consecutively enrolled. Plasma K1, MK-4, MK-7, and serum undercarboxylated osteocalcin (ucOC) concentrations, BMD, and incidence of vertebral fractures were evaluated. In stepwise multiple linear regression analyses, L2-4 BMD and a bone turnover marker, log K1, concentrations were independently correlated with vertebral fracture incidence. When subjects were divided into low and high K1 groups by plasma K1 concentration, the incidence of vertebral fracture in the low K1 group (14.4%) was significantly higher than that in the high K1 group (4.2%), and its age-adjusted RR was 3.58 (95% CI, 3.26-3.93). L2-4 BMD was not different between the two groups. These results suggest that subjects with vitamin K1 insufficiency in bone have increased susceptibility for vertebral fracture independently from BMD.

Edited by Alec, 27 February 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#9 Mind

• Topic Starter
  • 19,042 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks for the specific recommendation Alec. Just two more days for everyone to get their opinions in.

Since I don't have super in depth knowledge of supplements like most of you, I probably did not construct the forum discussion as good as hoped for in the case of Vitamin K, but I think we are getting a good feel for what the community wants and the expert panel should be able to follow closely.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vimmortal 2.0, vitamin k

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users