Bw44 and Modafinil

modafinil

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 UnbelievablePerson

• 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hello Longecitians,

Paper writing today so I'm going to make this short.

Background:

I have been Dx as adult ADHD-PI. It interferes greatly with school, work, and relationships. I have been taking ~2g Omega-3 in the form of Fish Oils and exercising daily for the past 2-3 years with great success. In comparison to every other treatment I've tried (which is pretty much all besides desoxyn), Fish Oils and exercise are the best. Unfortunately, I slipped on the ice this winter and herniated a disc and have not been able to exercise and thus my ADHD symptomatology is back.

I study Neuroscience and Pharmacology; this is a very demanding program. ADHD in my final semester has led me to look at other interventions. Oxiracetam was interesting but expensive and Aniracetam makes me damn near narcoleptic.

Through Serendipity I have run into unlimited amounts of free Modafinil. Nice!

Worry about possible (although exceedingly rare) Stevens-Johnson Syndrom/TEN, as well as studying pharmaco-genetics this semester has led me to research the topic.

Findings:

The most concise and relevant study is a 1987 study on the role various HLA serotypes play in the occurrence of SJS/TEN in Caucasians (I am white). I've attached it so those of you without access can still read it.

The main finding is that B12 is a strong risk factor for sulfinamide induced SJS. Note that Bw44 is a sub-type/split-variant of B12 and they are close to interchangeable in this context. Also, note that Modafinil is a sulfinamide and modafinil induced SJS is most likely due to this property.

I should note that I had a adverse drug reaction in the form of a rash in response to IV ancef, a sufinamide antibiotic.

I have been communicating with the Oxford HLA*IMPutation project and have just recieved my results for HLA-B serotype. They imputed that I am N1 HLA-B*4402 and N2 HLA-B*0801 with greater than 99.9% confidence.

Issue:

I have taken Modafinil three times now and once again this morning, right before I received my results. I am predicted by SNP to be a responder for ADHD symptoms (Val158Met). I do indeed benefit greatly from the drug. However, I feel my breathing is slightly off, a side-effect I've never had before. However, I'm not worried about that as it is a listed side-effect. I have a small itch when I take it all over my body. This is the same as the itch I get when I was previously prescribed either amphetamine or codeine, for ADHD and pain respectively.

How do I weigh this information? I am a student in Quebec and thus it is impossible to see a doctor. My waiting list to see my old ADHD psychiatrist is about two more months!

Is there actual risk in taking Modafinil? Especially since I have the Bw44 HLA-B serotype which is a risk factor for sulfinamide induced SJS? Is being slightly itchy pro-dromal for SJS? It is not as far as I have read.

I would appreciate the input of members on this board familiar with these topics or with personal experience.

TIA

Attached Files

Edited by PerC, 07 October 2014 - 02:14 AM.

#2 golden1

• 681 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

when using adrafinil I got itchy, it was an uncomfortble drug for me. no rashes ever happened though.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 UnbelievablePerson

• Topic Starter
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:38 PM

Thank you for your anecdote. It is encouraging to hear that itchiness does not always lead to a rash.

What was your dosing protocol? Were you using for improvement of your attentional abilities?

Sent from my GT-S5830

#4 Valor5

• 289 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:58 AM

http://books.google....ved=0CCYQ6AEwAQ

Part of a book excerp giving treatment in case of accident. Also talks about HLA-bw44 and loss of vision.

• Fifteen white patients and three black patients with Stevens-Johnson syndrome (SJS) with ocular involvement had HLA typing performed. The HLA-Bw44 antigen was found to have an increased frequency of 66.7% in white patients with SJS with ocular involvement, which was statistically significant when compared with a frequency of 20.4% in the white control population. The results of this study suggest that there is an immunogenetic susceptibility to the development of SJS with ocular manifestations in white patients.

Edited by valory5, 15 April 2012 - 03:06 AM.

#5 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:23 AM

Dude, chill.

I've taken as much as 1600 mg modafinil in 24 hours many times. Except dehydration and some urinary tract irritation from peeing so much, no worries.

It's not METH.

Even with Meth, just think how much addicts use for extended periods of time (of course they do suffer more severe cerebral consequences) without dying.

I've been off Moda for six months. No physical with drawl.

BUT it is addictive. You'll want to take more without any benefit except more sides.

BTW- nothing more than 400 mg is really worth it. In fact, 400 mg twice a week is best.

Also, it's NOT effective for AHDH.

The skin thing is the least of your worries.

If you want to tale, we'll talk more. But you waaaay to anxious.

The Skin th

#6 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Modafinil at 200mg dumbed me down. I was in class and the next thing class was over. I was staring like a zombie.
Will not try again, lol. Very biased of course, but it didn't work for me.

#7 Raptor87

• Validating/Suspended
  • 989 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Modafinil at 200mg dumbed me down. I was in class and the next thing class was over. I was staring like a zombie.
Will not try again, lol. Very biased of course, but it didn't work for me.

HAHA! That´s what I like about Modafinil. One can just sit through class while everyone else can barely hold on. And I am one of those who´s the worst in class, sometimes it feels like worms are crawling in my ass and that I am going crazy. When I take a few Modafinil, time just goes flying.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#8 Baten

• 785 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:24 PM

HAHA! That´s what I like about Modafinil. One can just sit through class while everyone else can barely hold on.

LOL that might be very true. I didn't pick up anything of the class, though, so it's not too useful :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: modafinil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users