- - - - -

Optimally balanced protective equipment

equipment antibacterial ultraviolet protection mask shield shades skin face

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cypan

• 25 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

On my face, I currently wear a Respro Techno respirator mask (equivalent to N95 NIOSH rating) and smoked visor-style UV-protective polycarbonate tactical goggles that seem to do a decent job sealing in my eyes (however, the fact that they fog up sometimes from exhalation makes me suspect that some of my exhaled air is getting up into there, which means there may be potential penetration by airborne pathogens--something I'm going to have to address). This leaves some skin patches exposed to UV radiation. So, I've been looking into some upgrades that should optimally do more than just cover up those patches.

First I looked into something like an antibacterial balaclava, which would provide antimicrobial protection on top of UV protection on my entire face. However, I'm concerned this would cause excessive heat on my skin. Then I looked into a face shield like the Uvex S8510 Bionic face shield, which would provide not only full facial UV protection, but also a tactical layer of protection in front of the other gear on my face (blocking out airborne particulates and such even before reaching the respirator and goggles--a major plus). I'm also considering upgrading my respirator to a P100 solution like the 3M 7502 half-face respirator (I'm afraid full-face would be less modular and a bit bulkier than having my separate goggle solution, but primarily the problem is full-face respirators cost *way* more, and I'm on a semi tight budget right now) with 3M 2097 P100 filters. What's nice about the Uvex Bionic face shield is it is designed to be adjustable to fit over most goggles and respirators, and I'm hoping the headband can fit over a tactical helmet when I eventually add one to protect my skull from blunt force trauma (I can only imagine how much preventable brain damage is caused by lack of skull protection).

What do others here think of this approach? I figure--the face shield should hopefully prevent UV radiation from hitting exposed facial skin even without the balaclava, and then I can even wire up a little moisture mister or something of that sort in there to keep that exposed skin cool. Of course, this assumes the balaclava really would heat up my skin too much. Does anyone here have experience with balaclavas (particularly ones designed more for windbreaking against skin than for warmth in cool weather--I live in a warm, subtropical environment)? And is there something I'm missing here with this layout of gear? (note: this is only for the face; I'll eventually work on upgrading the rest of the body, but I already block pretty much all the skin on my body below the neck from sunlight exposure with long sleeves, pants, and tactical gauntlet-style gloves).

#2 hyper_ventriloquism

• 60 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:33 PM

obvious troll is bovious

#3 cypan

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:52 AM

Um... no, I'm not trolling. Is that why this hasn't been replied to? Sigh. OK, as unconventional as this may be, I'm absolutely serious about this. What would it take to convince you of this? A picture of me wearing my current gear?

Also, I find it kind of silly that something totally plausible is being shrugged off as "trolling" instead of the merits of the context assessed. It shows signs of short-sightedness and inability to "think outside the box", if you will. I do hope the average immortalist here isn't as weak-minded as this. My perspective is this: why bend to mainstream fashion norms and sacrifice effectiveness? I value my health way over how "normal" my appearance ends up. So if this is seen as trolling by members of this community, then maybe I got the wrong impression about the seriousness of the mission statement of Longecity. Now, will someone please give a rational opinion rather than this "troll" argument? (if anything, I'd say "obvious troll is bovious[sic]" is more directly "trolling" than anything I've said, but I'm not going to bother using that as an intended argument)

Edited by cypan, 25 April 2012 - 07:22 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 cypan

• Topic Starter
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hmm... now I'm wondering if it'd be worth the extra bit of investment to go with a full-face respirator instead of a face shield and half-face respirator upgrade. Pros would be superior toxin/particulate face protection, fitting, and comfort. Cons would be less modularity and lower coverage of impact-resistance (full face shield would protect the entire face from impacts). However, technically I *could* add the face shield over even the full-face respirator later on after I save up some cash. Remember that for me, outward image is by far less important than effective net benefits in health. I want as few toxins entering my respiratory system and bloodstream as possible when out and about in the world while also protecting my skin from UV radiation and giving myself some tactical protection from blunt-force hazards. A full-face respirator would also mean requiring me to put on one device instead of three for baseline facial protection, thus saving time. It might be the best choice for me, though I'll put some more thought into it. Anyone have input? (though, please, if you don't have input, spare me the pointless replies like the previous one I got)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, antibacterial, ultraviolet, protection, mask, shield, shades, skin, face

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users