Importance of high phenol content olive oil

phenol olive oil gene expression inflammation phenolic

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 zorba990

• 1,601 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

http://www.ars.usda....2010/100628.htm

The researchers tracked the expression of more than 15,000 human genes in blood cells during the after-meal period. The results indicated that 79 genes are turned down and 19 are turned up by the high-phenolic-content olive oil. Many of those genes have been linked to obesity, high blood-fat levels, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. Importantly, several of the turned-down genes are known promoters of inflammation, so those genes may be involved in “cooling off” inflammation that often accompanies metabolic syndrome.

Edited by niner, 12 February 2013 - 01:58 AM.

• like x 3

#2 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

Good find. Makes me wonder how much of the C60 experiment is dependent on the quality of the olive oil. After buying premixed EVOO/C60, I've decided home brew is the way to go where I have full control over the quality of the ingredients and mixing process (as I have reason to believe that centrifuging and filtering is not only unnecessary but very possibly detrimental to the possible health benefits of the end product). I've purchased the highest polyphenol oil I can find.

• Ill informed x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:50 PM

Good find. Makes me wonder how much of the C60 experiment is dependent on the quality of the olive oil. After buying premixed EVOO/C60, I've decided home brew is the way to go where I have full control over the quality of the ingredients and mixing process (as I have reason to believe that centrifuging and filtering is not only unnecessary but very possibly detrimental to the possible health benefits of the end product). I've purchased the highest polyphenol oil I can find.

Yes, I'm interested in this also for the same reasons. I'll likely use Bariani since my tests of eating it over the last few weeks have been favorable (faster bounce back from intense workouts in terms of inflammation response using 1T with my post workout protein drink), and at least one study showed it to have very high phenol content.

I suspect DIY method will be fairly easy (buy 99.95% pure form someplace like this: https://sesres.com/F...renesPrices.asp and add 1 gram to the liter bottle, spray the top with argon gas, close and shake. Shake one a day for several weeks and enjoy!), but I'm going to wait for several reasons. I already have some of the C60 oil and will run tests on some elderly animals until I am satisfied the toxicity is low. I also understand that the harvesting and bottling process (at least for Bariani) is in the Fall, so getting the freshest oil (2012) would be sometime following the summer. This would also fit in to keeping it cool since I don't use an air conditioner. I also still have some concerns about potential photo toxicity but I think keeping the dose low would minimize this.

Edited by zorba990, 04 July 2012 - 06:50 PM.

#4 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

the c60-thread mentioned that high-phenol OO has a burning taste in the throat. I am experiencing this too from an unfiltered, self-imported OO from Croatia.

#5 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

the c60-thread mentioned that high-phenol OO has a burning taste in the throat. I am experiencing this too from an unfiltered, self-imported OO from Croatia.

Yes. I want to use the unfiltered stuff in the hopes that more phenols and other good stuff will be trapped in the fullerenes (might not happen).

#6 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:02 PM

There are many different types of olives that olive oil is made from. Arbequina olives have a strong peppery finish. I like California Olive Ranch oil..they are the only ones that date their oil as far as I know. EVOO can get rancid on the shelf, and who knows how long that bottle has sat there without a date. I wouldn't buy undated milk!
You can get unfiltered organic oil, but it's not dated.

#7 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:31 PM

There are many different types of olives that olive oil is made from. Arbequina olives have a strong peppery finish. I like California Olive Ranch oil..they are the only ones that date their oil as far as I know. EVOO can get rancid on the shelf, and who knows how long that bottle has sat there without a date. I wouldn't buy undated milk!
You can get unfiltered organic oil, but it's not dated.

Bariani (unfiltered organic) dates their oil, both Harvest and bottling dates, e.g.:
http://cleanlivinggu...anal-olive-oil/

#8 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 05:12 AM

Effects of phenols on exercise, mitochondria, etc:

http://www.olivenolp...t_from=&ucat=2

Hydroxytyrosol increases exercise endurance and reduces the risk of muscle atrophy
Hydroxytyrosol increases mitochondrial content and activity in skeletal muscle
Hydroxytyrosol prevents exercise-induced changes in markers of renal and immune system function
Hydroxytyrosol Reduces Lactic Acid Elevation

They are selling something : http://www.olivenolp...roduct=12121312
So take that as you will...

#9 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

A fun and, for me, educational, listen here.
  • like x 1

#10 Snoopy

• 105 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:28 PM

Coratina trumps all the other cultivars for polphenol content...
  • like x 1

#11 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:04 PM

do you have a source for that? would like to read about my koroneiki.

#12 pamojja

• 2,837 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hydroxytyrosol increases exercise endurance and reduces the risk of muscle atrophy
Hydroxytyrosol increases mitochondrial content and activity in skeletal muscle
Hydroxytyrosol prevents exercise-induced changes in markers of renal and immune system function
Hydroxytyrosol Reduces Lactic Acid Elevation.

Just checked phenol explorer for tyrosol content in foods, and was surprised to find that 100 ml of red wine with 3.12 mg contains the most.(in terms of amounts healthy for daily consumption; high dose tyrosol caps I've seen come with not much more at about 5 mg per capsule)

While with 100 ml EVOO it's 1.13 mg only!
100 g of green olives: 7.46 mg,
black olives: 14.42 mg.

Edited by pamojja, 05 July 2012 - 08:33 PM.

• like x 1

#13 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 05:16 AM

Just checked phenol explorer for tyrosol content in foods, and was surprised to find that 100 ml of red wine with 3.12 mg contains the most.(in terms of amounts healthy for daily consumption; high dose tyrosol caps I've seen come with not much more at about 5 mg per capsule)

Olive oils are all over the map in terms of polyphenol content. "Robust" oils are generally higher than "Mild" oils, but the standard deviations are still huge. Phenol explorer is pretty cool; thanks for that link. Interesting that the highest tyrosol content was in "ordinary" Virgin oil, rather than EVOO. That's just the large SD's at work. If you use a good oil provider, you can get the polyphenol content of an oil from them. You just need to pick a good batch of oil.

#14 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 06:10 PM

Olive oils are all over the map in terms of polyphenol content. "Robust" oils are generally higher than "Mild" oils, but the standard deviations are still huge. Phenol explorer is pretty cool; thanks for that link. Interesting that the highest tyrosol content was in "ordinary" Virgin oil, rather than EVOO. That's just the large SD's at work. If you use a good oil provider, you can get the polyphenol content of an oil from them. You just need to pick a good batch of oil.

It might be of some significance that the polyphenols in olive oil are, by nature, dissolved in oil and the ones in red wine not so much.

#15 maxwatt

• Guest, Moderator LeadNavigator
  • 4,949 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:44 PM

I have spoken to a Chinese company owner looking for new uses for his SCFE equipment. He may buy some Spanish oil and remove oil from the polyphenols with high pressure carbon dioxide. that will give an olive oil supplement without the fat content. An interesting idea. One reason rodents fed olive oil have not shown much life extension, is the fat intake needed for high dietary polyphenols leads to obesity counteracting the effects.

#16 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:27 AM

I have spoken to a Chinese company owner looking for new uses for his SCFE equipment. He may buy some Spanish oil and remove oil from the polyphenols with high pressure carbon dioxide. that will give an olive oil supplement without the fat content. An interesting idea. One reason rodents fed olive oil have not shown much life extension, is the fat intake needed for high dietary polyphenols leads to obesity counteracting the effects.

I like this idea. In fact, just today I purchased https://www.prohealt...CFYcBQAodjyd1Fg to increase olive polyphenol intake.

edit: the more cost effective method of concentrating olive polyphenols might be recovering and concentrating lost polyphenols from the leftover pulp after pressing the oil rather than using expensive oil for your raws.

Edited by Hebbeh, 08 July 2012 - 12:30 AM.

• Off-Topic x 1

#17 zorba990

• Topic Starter
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 02:18 AM

Imminst high dose polyphenol supplement anyone? I'll buy some if its organic or at least pesticide tested.

#18 1kgcoffee

• 737 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:17 AM

This is why I'm so fond of olive leaf extract. All of the phenols, none of the calories. you can also brew tea from the olive leaf.

Edited by 1kgcoffee, 08 July 2012 - 05:18 AM.

#19 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

I am now mixing some C60 with Apollo olive oil.

They use a vacuum milling process to maximize the polyphenol content,
and they publish the anti-oxidant content of their oo.

http://www.apollooli...ollo-olive-oil/

#20 Krell

• Guest, F@H
  • 146 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 07:53 PM

Polyphenols and Antioxidants in Olive Oil

http://www.agbiolab....Polyphenols.pdf

#21 Mike C

• 84 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 03:07 PM

do you have a source for that? would like to read about my koroneiki.

I got some from Amphora.com it was just shipped in from chile. bought a gallon can for 60 bucks plus 15 to ship. pricey but not disappointed in the quality-very dark green-spicy-fantastic taste. The small family business does independent lab tests and it was their highest polyphenol product available. When I ordereed it it was not even on their site it was just shipped in.

Mike

#22 nupi

• 1,532 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:01 AM

amphora.com seems to be a contraceptive in wave 3 clinical trials???
  • like x 1

#23 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

http://www.amphoranu...om/Default.aspx

I got 2 750ml bottles of the Coratina....they are out now...sold really quick. I'm mixing C60 with mine...will be ready for testing soon.
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#24 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:51 PM

I got 2 750ml bottles of the Coratina....they are out now...sold really quick. I'm mixing C60 with mine...will be ready for testing soon.

What testing will you be doing?

#25 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

What testing will you be doing?

Testing of C60 in relation to health and longevity.

#26 Snoopy

• 105 posts

Posted 21 July 2012 - 09:53 PM

pungency = good sign of high polyphenol content, I believe the metric we should be looking for is mg/ kg typically can range upto 1000 - although the claims from american companies I am slightly skeptical about. I tend to stick with traditional Italian oils!

just think of how strong cloves are and look at the polyphenol content of those!!

#27 APBT

• 906 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/22236145

Abstract

A Mediterranean diet rich in olive oil has been associated with health benefits in humans. It is unclear if and to what extent olive oil phenolics may mediate these health benefits. In this study, we fed senescence-accelerated mouse-prone 8 (SAMP8, n=11 per group) semisynthetic diets with 10% olive oil containing either high (HP) or low amounts of olive oil phenolics (LP) for 4.5 months. Mice consuming the HP diet had significantly lower concentrations of the oxidative damage markers thiobarbituric acid-reactive substances and protein carbonyls in the heart, whereas proteasomal activity was similar in both groups. Nrf2-dependent gene expression may be impaired during the aging process. Therefore, we measured Nrf2 and its target genes glutathione-S-transferase (GST), γ-glutamyl cysteine synthetase (γ-GCS), nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate [NAD(P)H]:quinone oxidoreductase (NQO1), and paraoxonase-2 (PON2) in the hearts of these mice. Nrf2 as well as GST, γ-GCS, NQO1, and PON2 mRNA levels were significantly higher in heart tissue of the HP as compared to the LP group. The HP-fed mice had significantly higher PON1 activity in serum compared to those receiving the LP diet. Furthermore, HP feeding increased relative SIRT1 mRNA levels. Additional mechanistic cell culture experiments were performed, and they suggest that the olive oil phenolic hydroxytyrosol present in the HP oil may be responsible for the induction of Nrf2-dependent gene expression and the increase in PON activity. In conclusion, a diet rich in olive oil phenolics may prevent oxidative stress in the heart of SAMP8 mice by modulating Nrf2-dependent gene expression.

#28 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

There are extensive nature trails across the street from me, and occassionally I find a beer can or empty vodka bottle, but this moning, the first of January, I came across an empty bottle of extra virgin olive oil. Those damn health nuts!
  • like x 1

#29 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

There are extensive nature trails across the street from me, and occassionally I find a beer can or empty vodka bottle, but this moning, the first of January, I came across an empty bottle of extra virgin olive oil. Those damn health nuts!

So you've been throwing your empties over the fence?
  • Off-Topic x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 TheFountain

• 5,362 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:44 AM

Anyone have an opinion of stuff like this?

http://www.sclafanif...roduct_id=11123

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phenol, olive oil, gene expression, inflammation, phenolic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users