Alcohol & mood swings

alcohol mood anxiety hangover

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Samuraidream

• 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

Before asking any questions I'd like to point out that I do indeed realize the fact that I should simply avoid alcohol altogether in order to feel better, but that's not going to happen. I'm trying to limit my alcohol consumption as much as I can, but I really enjoy going out and having a few (sometimes one too many) drinks AT LEAST once a week. So there. Quitting is not an option.
That being said, what do you think I should take together with alcohol or what should I pre-load/post-load on? If I drink more than 1-2 beers/cocktails, I experience higher (than MY normal) levels of anxiety and mood swings the morning after. And if I drink a lot, such anxious feelings and mood swings can last the whole day... If I remember it right, I used to have better hangovers when I was taking piracetam everyday. But I'm not entirely sure. Can this be the case? I plan on introducing one of the racetams back to my daily regimen anyway.

P.S. At the moment my regimen consists of the following:
L-Tyrosine 1000mg (morning)
Omega 3 (morning)
Sleepzz Power Sleep (5htp, tryptophan, melatonin, valerian) 1 pill (night)

Anyways, I appreciate your input, fellow longecity'ers.

#2 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:50 PM

Proper hydration (couple glasses of water between drinks) and a vitamin B complex.
N-acetyl-L-cysteine supposably prevents the toxic effects of alcohol and even the hangover through scavenging of acetaldehyde so supplementing it before drinking could be beneficial.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Kevnzworld

• 885 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

I don't know of anything that will prevent the psychological aftereffects of alcohol consumption. It tends to deplete your mineral levels which raise your blood pressure the following day, which could elevate anxiety. You should take some magnesium / potassium to counter that. The things that you can take to assist the liver are the following
silymarin ( milk thistle )
SamE. raises glutathione levels
PPC. Polyunsaturated phosphatidyl choline

#4 Junk Master

• 1,032 posts

Posted 05 October 2012 - 03:54 PM

Noopept works wonders on alcohol brain fog. No one knows hangovers like the Russians.

Try milk thistle before going out plus one glass of water between drinks with one 500 mg vitamin C tablet per every two drinks.

Same works well for elevating mood and energy the next day.

I think piracetam works well too, but I'm usually taking that already.

I also find Methylene Blue works well to reduce anxiety, though only for 3 hours or so.

#5 Samuraidream

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2012 - 07:07 AM

Thanks, guys!

I'll definitely look into milk thistle for its liver-protecting qualities.
Vit B complex sounds good as well, but don't you think that mixing it with alcohol would put even more strain on one's liver?
Anyways, any other suggestions in terms of what can be used to treat the psychological aftereffects of alcohol?

#6 Galaxyshock

• 1,470 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 10:58 AM

Vit B complex sounds good as well, but don't you think that mixing it with alcohol would put even more strain on one's liver?
Anyways, any other suggestions in terms of what can be used to treat the psychological aftereffects of alcohol?

I was thinking taking the B-complex the morning after. Someting GABAergic should help with the moodswings: look into Gotu Kola, it's smooth and effective (it's even used for opiate withdrawal in Thailand).

#7 Samuraidream

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

Great advice! Thanks a lot, Galaxyshock.

#8 Lovesnake

• 20 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

You really need to address the underlining reasons why you need to drink and why "Quitting is not an option". It could be a mental illness like anxiety that you're trying to self medicated with alcohol, which is highly toxic, and could easily be treated with an SSRI.

The anxious feeling after drinking is just your GABA system rebounding. The best way to reduce this is to drink less. You might be able to obtain the same drunkenness by potentiating less alcohol with phenibut, you're body will be exposed to less toxic acetaldehyde, so might reduce the hangover. Often the hangover is due to be dehydrated. So drinking a couple of glasses of water before sleeping could help.

With the racetams, they actually increase bloodflow to the brain, so could possible make the hangover worse.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#9 Samuraidream

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:07 PM

Lovesnake, quitting is not an option simply because I enjoy my social life and I love going out. While limiting my alcohol intake would probably be wise, I don't want to STOP drinking. I don't really think I could do bar hoping with my friends and just not drink at all. But yeah, I tend to forget that moderation is the key sometimes.
Phenibut sounds interesting, but I heard bad things about it (terrible hangover, addiction potential, etc.). Furthermore, as far as I know, Phenibut affects one's GABA system, which is probably what's causing my terrible hangovers, as you suggested. Doesn't really makes sense then... Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Anyways, thanks for your great advice!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alcohol, mood, anxiety, hangover

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users