Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Aging biomarkers schema

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Andey

• 673 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:32 AM

I found it in aging-genes.ru. Looks Interesting to me )

PDF version

Attached Files

• like x 3

#2 Mind

• Life Member, Director, Moderator, Treasurer
  • 18,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

That is a nice info-graphic. Thanks for posting Andey. I was wondering what is the significance between the black and blue connecting lines? Also, Apoptosis is directly linked to cancer in the diagram. How are they connected? Apoptosis "gone wrong" leads to cancer?

The next step to make this graphic more useful would be to make it interactive, maybe with flash or something similar. It would be cool if the pathways would "light up" when you hovered your mouse over one of the events, pathologies, etc.

Also, a neat addition would be to have known interventions/cures/treatments somehow linked into the flow chart. A 3D version might be more engaging and thought-provoking, but that would take a lot of time as well.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Andey

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

That is a nice info-graphic. Thanks for posting Andey. I was wondering what is the significance between the black and blue connecting lines? Also, Apoptosis is directly linked to cancer in the diagram. How are they connected? Apoptosis "gone wrong" leads to cancer?

The next step to make this graphic more useful would be to make it interactive, maybe with flash or something similar. It would be cool if the pathways would "light up" when you hovered your mouse over one of the events, pathologies, etc.

Also, a neat addition would be to have known interventions/cures/treatments somehow linked into the flow chart. A 3D version might be more engaging and thought-provoking, but that would take a lot of time as well.

I am not the author of this document, but will try to find additional info on it.

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

I realized you are not the author, I just thought you might have had some additional insight into the design, seeing that you found it. It would certainly be worthwhile to see if Dr. Moskalev could be contacted. As a LongeCity project, maybe we could help him enhance the graphic.

#5 Andey

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

I realized you are not the author, I just thought you might have had some additional insight into the design, seeing that you found it. It would certainly be worthwhile to see if Dr. Moskalev could be contacted. As a LongeCity project, maybe we could help him enhance the graphic.

I didnt catch that you take it so seriously. Dr. Moskalev is searching now for team members to make an interactive tutorial or textbook about aging processes.
Here is his post in LJ
http://aging-genes.l...0.html#comments
Roughly translated (I fix obvious errors in Google translated text)

Dear friends!
I have plans to create an electronic textbook on the mechanisms of aging.
His task is a popular and interactive way to convey a basic understanding of the mechanisms of aging to a variety of users, including potential investors.
I am in search of talented digital artists and infographics, and web programmer with excellent knowledge of HTML5. It would be nice to find a more competent mol. biologists and physiologists to planning content as a whole.

Here is a sample plan:
Visual biology of aging
1. The level of body
a. The aging of the central neuro system
b. The aging of the endocrine system
c. Immune aging
d. The aging of other body systems (cardiovascular, digestive, skin, excretion, musculoskeletal)
2. The level of tissue (extracellular matrix matching, apoptosis, cellular senescence, the aging of stem cells and their niches)
3. Level cell (non-enzymatic glycosylation, free radicals, lipid peroxidation, protein cross-linking, the units of oxidized proteins, lipofuscin, DNA damage, mitochondrial damage, breach of epigenetic regulation of DNA)
4. Age-related diseases (osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, heart attack, atherosclerosis, etc.)
5. Existing anti-aging technology
6. Anti-aging technology of the future, long-term point of application of interventions

The system consists of three large image blocks: the body, the tissue, the cell. First, we see the image of man. Side we have an interactive menu where we can choose the aging physiological systems. We can make the zoom in the selected area (eg the brain) or interactively working with drawing, or by selecting a keyword from the submenu physiological systems. Then we can go to the level of tissue and look at the basic principles of aging at the tissue level, choosing the tissue elements (differentiated cells, stem cells, extracellular matrix), we can consider the individual components of the mechanisms of aging tissues. Then we can go to the cell (molecular and subcellular levels) to see the aging cell, its organelles (mitochondria, nucleos, and the problems in the lysosomes, etc.) and macromolecules (proteins, lipids, DNA).

Post was made about year ago and I dont know what is the current state of this project.
I f you want I could ask him, or you can ask him directly.
  • like x 1

#6 Turnbuckle

• NO

Posted 29 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

That is a nice info-graphic. Thanks for posting Andey. I was wondering what is the significance between the black and blue connecting lines?

It looks to me that the black lines imply causality while the blue imply a correlation. I suppose that if he worked in all the lines it would be extremely messy, but there should be a line between epigenetic changes and mitochondrial dysfunction.

Edited by Turnbuckle, 29 December 2012 - 02:50 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 Andey

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I contacted with Alexey and received his answer

I would be happy with the cooperation, there is safety in numbers)

I've been wanting to make it interactive for a long time, and add it's time for add additional info to it.

Blue lines - where it is not clear what is going on what is the cause and which the effect.

With textbook I could not find enough number of enthusiasts ready to participate in such a project

Alexey gives me some links to his related presentations in russian, and mentioned that he is one of the active participants in http://crowdage.org/ project.

So if our community is interested in this Alexey give us a green light to go and ready to participate in )
  • like x 1

#8 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:51 PM

Last year LongeCity was offering in the range of $1,000-2,000 for some graphic artist to make a nice pixel art graphic of a city to put on our front page or forum pages. We couldn't find anyone. Maybe we could offer this money for someone to make Moskalev's chart into an interactive graphic.
  • like x 1

#9 Andey

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

Last year LongeCity was offering in the range of $1,000-2,000 for some graphic artist to make a nice pixel art graphic of a city to put on our front page or forum pages. We couldn't find anyone. Maybe we could offer this money for someone to make Moskalev's chart into an interactive graphic.

As software developer in 'real life' I think that we can transform this idea into something more flexible.
Huge amount of data shared between people here is about drug effects, interactions between different processes inside our body.. etc
All this information is buried in thousand of threads, same information repeated again and again, some information is very hard to find.

We can organize kind of database for such interactions and generate schema like this real time (or periodically if it requre some external tools)
And user could click on interesting organ or system or link and find all known relations and interactions with link to studies.
For example raw data for it could contain
Type of interaction, Direction Type, influence level, Source object, Destination object, links to discussions, links for studies, moderation flags etc

It will be not so complex database with around 15 tables in it and only one main table that opened for user input.
Best thing about it that anybody can contribute to collecting this data. There is an impossible amount of hard work needed to fill data for such schema by one person, but forum users can fill it in weeks and adjust it according to new science quickly.

Its just an idea, but I am catched right now with it )

#10 YOLF

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

That's a pretty cool graph. I think it deserves a media event to go along with its release when it is complete. Think about all the fledgling movements that could be supported. I'd especially like to see a member of the Longevity Political Party be given an opportunity to get some positive press out of this.

#11 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Nice ideas Andey, but probably dreaming too big to start out, based on my experience. Usually, it is hard to get a wide base of contributors (projects with massive success such as Folding@home are rare). Of course, you never know what will capture the imagination of people, but usually it is the dedication/agency of just one or two people that pulls an idea like this forward.

So if you could, please ask Dr. Moskalev if he has a general idea on how to make his graphic more interactive and intuitive (I have suggested using flash or something similar to highlight pathways when people mouse over the graphic) . Also, perhaps he knows a computer graphic artist that could help out and might get the project off the ground with a small grant from LongeCity. Or perhaps you might find the time as an independent contractor?

#12 Andey

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Nice ideas Andey, but probably dreaming too big to start out, based on my experience. Usually, it is hard to get a wide base of contributors (projects with massive success such as Folding@home are rare). Of course, you never know what will capture the imagination of people, but usually it is the dedication/agency of just one or two people that pulls an idea like this forward.

So if you could, please ask Dr. Moskalev if he has a general idea on how to make his graphic more interactive and intuitive (I have suggested using flash or something similar to highlight pathways when people mouse over the graphic) . Also, perhaps he knows a computer graphic artist that could help out and might get the project off the ground with a small grant from LongeCity. Or perhaps you might find the time as an independent contractor?

Yep, may be you are right about dreaming too big )

I will ask Moskalev but I think will be wiser to connect both of you direclty and I will try to do that. As I understand Alexey didnt have troubles with English so its not an issue )

As for me - I am far away from art types of jobs(even from web ones), but I will ask Alexey, may be I can participate(as a volunteer) later if we create database driven schema.

#13 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

We have a member okok who created cool 3D animated artwork in the past. Maybe he would be game to help out here.

Dreaming big is great, just that we should start small and build from there.

#14 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

What I envision to spice the schema up a little, is for each element to "light-up" or have a colored halo around it when you mouse over it. The connecting lines would also become enhanced. I suggest some motion effect in the lines that show how one element causes or influences the other.

#15 Marios Kyriazis

• 466 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I suggest that, before Longecity eventually does anything with this, to get a few people to look at the validity of the chart, and add some more essential elements as well. Some parts of it need more clarification and/or adjusted connections

#16 YOLF

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Expanding it to list supplements that can interfere with each part of the aging process would be nice too. Perhaps a vitamin manufacturer would sponsor the project?

#17 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Good suggestions everyone. The idea of animating the graph is to get more eyeballs and excitement going. We can then see if there are more people willing to contribute to improving it and expanding it. So far, no one is willing to to anything, although many thanks to Andey for contacting Alexey.

Edited by Mind, 01 January 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#18 YOLF

Posted 01 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

If someone can tell me how to emulate a full copy of XP Pro in 7 Home Premium for free, I could do some of it. I know later versions of windows have a built in, but it doesn't seem to work for the versions of Photoshop (CS2) and After Effects (7 Pro) that I own.

What I could do:
Produce multilayer PSDs or PNGs with transparency for use in animations (PSCS2)
Produce graphics in FLV video format tobe combined with voice overs (AE7P)

Edited by cryonicsculture, 01 January 2013 - 06:43 PM.

#19 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Happy new year everyone. Thanks for the mention, Mind.
Not wanting to dub this inchoate, i would suggest, also considering Dr. Kyriazis' advice, hatching out a more concrete rapport/collaboration with Dr. Moskalev.

#20 Andey

• Topic Starter
  • 673 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Dr Moskalev also have his schema in DB view
here it is, with google translate
http://translate.goo...nes.ru/view.php
  • like x 1

#21 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Interesting. Does anyone have an overview of what other aging biomarkers related db's are available?

#22 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Not a database specifically designed to understand or tackle aging, but could be useful to integrate into this schema.

#23 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

If someone can tell me how to emulate a full copy of XP Pro in 7 Home Premium for free, I could do some of it. I know later versions of windows have a built in, but it doesn't seem to work for the versions of Photoshop (CS2) and After Effects (7 Pro) that I own.

What I could do:

Thanks for offering to get started on this cryonics culture! Could you explain your problem in a little more detail. You see to have the right programs for tackling this enhancement project (PSCS2 and AE7P) but you cannot use them right now? They don't work on your computer? You don't have an OS to use them on? What is the exact problem?

Also, does anyone else have any preference of photoshop layers vs flash to make this thing pop. Is there any reason to start with one or the other? If this takes off and we get more volunteers, we don't want to start over from scratch because we started in the "wrong" format.

#24 YOLF

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:18 AM

What I could do:

Thanks for offering to get started on this cryonics culture! Could you explain your problem in a little more detail. You see to have the right programs for tackling this enhancement project (PSCS2 and AE7P) but you cannot use them right now? They don't work on your computer? You don't have an OS to use them on? What is the exact problem?

Also, does anyone else have any preference of photoshop layers vs flash to make this thing pop. Is there any reason to start with one or the other? If this takes off and we get more volunteers, we don't want to start over from scratch because we started in the "wrong" format.

Ok, good news, It's been a while since I tried to install my adobe apps on Win 7 and I went to install AE to find out what exactly was happening when I tried to install and everything installed just fine. Photoshop is working perfect as is After Effects. I think we're a go!

I don't use flash, but I'm thinking a flash user could use a stack of pngs or maybe even the PSD originals. I can't make anything interactive for web (except youtube videos) with what I have.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 08 January 2013 - 02:22 AM.

#25 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Thanks for the reply cryonicsculture.

In order to show the potential of this schema (and a future mega 3D database linked version in the future), we need to be able to make this 2D versions interactive (make it "pop" when people look at it). We are on the right track here. From what you are saying, and from my understanding, it seems flash would be the way to go because that would be the best known way to put it on a page and have everyone be able to see and interact with it.

Now....is making png or photoshop layers the first step? Then we send those layers to someone who builds flash websites? They would build the interactivity into it?

If making the layers is the first step then why don't you (cryonicsculture) at least begin by taking just a couple of the features and pathways on the graphic (perhaps a couple of the shorter/simpler ones) and make the halo effect around them. At least then we will have an example of what we want the interactivity to look like and the next person can take it to the next level.

#26 okok

• 340 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

You could do it as an xml-driven flash app. But i heard flash is on the decline, and Dr. Moskalev mentioned html5, which i have no experience in (jdkasinky wrote a book on that).

#27 YOLF

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

You could do it as an xml-driven flash app. But i heard flash is on the decline, and Dr. Moskalev mentioned html5, which i have no experience in (jdkasinky wrote a book on that).

Well what is everyone using for interactive content if not flash? Is there a free open source version I can learn?

Thanks for the reply cryonicsculture.

In order to show the potential of this schema (and a future mega 3D database linked version in the future), we need to be able to make this 2D versions interactive (make it "pop" when people look at it). We are on the right track here. From what you are saying, and from my understanding, it seems flash would be the way to go because that would be the best known way to put it on a page and have everyone be able to see and interact with it.

Now....is making png or photoshop layers the first step? Then we send those layers to someone who builds flash websites? They would build the interactivity into it?

If making the layers is the first step then why don't you (cryonicsculture) at least begin by taking just a couple of the features and pathways on the graphic (perhaps a couple of the shorter/simpler ones) and make the halo effect around them. At least then we will have an example of what we want the interactivity to look like and the next person can take it to the next level.

I can do roll overs in imageready. Perhaps if I learned a little html I could have doing essentially what flash would be doing for me. I'll have to read up on it. I'm thinking it would take a control panel in one frame and an image in another. In fact I think all flash does is do alot of the code work for you.

#28 Mind

• 18,997 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Well, I guess, do what you can do to make the thing (parts of it anyway) come alive. Making rollovers is a great first step. Anything that we can share. We can put whatever you make on a page hear at LongeCity to get the ball rolling. Once we get some eyeballs on it and people can see the potential, then we can move on to building the whole thing up and porting it out to flash or html5.

#29 YOLF

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Ok, I'll get started tonight. Keep in mind I haven't done anything art related for a few years, so I might have some brushing up to do.

Edited by cryonicsculture, 11 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#30 YOLF

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:46 AM

Andey, can you find out what software was used to create this file from Dr. M?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users