Lostfalco's Extensive Nootropic Experiments [Curated]

nootropic

• Please log in to reply
4019 replies to this topic

#2131 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 16 October 2014 - 12:44 AM

anyone else gotten face twitches from lllt?

Hey alpal, I remember rc987 mentioned this last October. http://www.longecity...-38#entry615752

Other than that, I haven't heard of too many people experiencing this. I know that I haven't noticed it for myself. Does it happen right after you laser? 

hmm, I got it in the same place as that guy. I had it for like 2 days. It happened after one relatively long session (3.5min ish). 

Very interesting. I hope it resolves for you alpal. Has it pretty much stopped now?

#2132 ceridwen

• 1,292 posts

Member Away

Posted 16 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

Saw a really good tip tonight for Alzheimer's sufferers green tea and red laser light destroy amyloid.
Saw a really good tip tonight for Alzheimer's sufferers green tea and red laser light destroy amyloid.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#2133 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:12 AM

Those of you using pregnenolone, have you had your estrogen levels checked?
I experienced many benefits from daily use of pregnenolone, particularly increased energy, but after a couple of weeks I had to quit because of how high my estrogen levels got. 
I still use estrogen but usually no more than a single 25 mg dose once a week.

#2134 Zenfood

• 77 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:43 AM

"I still use estrogen but usually no more than a single 25 mg dose once a week."
Just to make it clear, you probably meant that you still use pregnenolone?

I experienced many benefits from daily use of pregnenolone, particularly increased energy, but after a couple of weeks I had to quit because of how high my estrogen levels got. 

Edited by Zenfood, 17 October 2014 - 10:43 AM.

#2135 lourdaud

• 516 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:12 AM

"I still use estrogen but usually no more than a single 25 mg dose once a week."
Just to make it clear, you probably meant that you still use pregnenolone?

Haha, oops, yes, of course.

#2136 alpal

• 59 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

Highly recommend stacking pregnenolone with erase, which suppresses cortisol and estrogen. When I took pregnenolone is gave me moods swings which I attributed to the extra conversion of preg to those hormones and an anti estrogen/cortisol cleared that up.

#2137 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 11:41 PM

Drank some hydrogen water today.

Oral hydrogen water induces ghrelin gene expression in the stomach

srep03273-f1.jpg

http://www.nature.co.../srep03273.html

• like x 1
  • Informative x 1

#2138 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

Kombucha seems to have hydrogen.  I wonder how many ppm is found in there....

"Butyrate is produced as end-product of a fermentation process solely performed by obligate anaerobic bacteria. Fermented Kombucha"tea" includes butyric acid as a result of the fermentation.

Examples of butyrate-producing species of bacteria:

The pathway starts with the glycolytic cleavage of glucose to two molecules of pyruvate, as happens in most organisms. Pyruvate is then oxidized into acetyl coenzyme A using a unique mechanism that involves an enzyme system called pyruvate-ferredoxin oxidoreductase. Two molecules of carbon dioxide (CO2) and two molecules of elemental hydrogen (H2) are formed as waste products from the cell."

ATP is produced, as can be seen, in the last step of the fermentation. Three molecules of ATP are produced for each glucose molecule, a relatively high yield. The balanced equation for this fermentation is

C6H12O6 → C4H8O2 + 2 CO2 + 2 H2.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Butyric_acid

Edited by Joe Cohen, 18 October 2014 - 01:45 AM.

#2139 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

1-s2.0-S0163725814000941-gr5.jpg

http://www.sciencedi...163725814000941

• like x 1

#2140 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:38 AM

Thanks for the heads up, lourdaud. I've had my blood checked within the past 3 months or so and everything looked great. I'll definitely keep an eye on it though. 

Highly recommend stacking pregnenolone with erase, which suppresses cortisol and estrogen. When I took pregnenolone is gave me moods swings which I attributed to the extra conversion of preg to those hormones and an anti estrogen/cortisol cleared that up.

Interesting idea. Thanks, alpal. 

#2141 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 02:53 AM

Drank some hydrogen water today.

Oral hydrogen water induces ghrelin gene expression in the stomach

http://www.nature.co.../srep03273.html

Hey Joe, I noticed that study too. What are your overall thoughts on ghrelin? I have some mixed feelings towards it. I'm very interested in the learning/memory/anti-depressent aspects but I've def been monitoring my food intake pretty closely since I started the H2.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3890894/

Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Jan 7;111(1):E149-58. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1313798111. Epub 2013 Dec 23.

Ghrelin triggers the synaptic incorporation of AMPA receptors in the hippocampus.

Abstract

Ghrelin is a peptide mainly produced by the stomach and released into circulation, affecting energy balance and growth hormone release. These effects are guided largely by the expression of the ghrelin receptor growth hormone secretagogue type 1a (GHS-R1a) in the hypothalamus and pituitary. However, GHS-R1a is expressed in other brain regions, including the hippocampus, where its activation enhances memory retention. Herein we explore the molecular mechanism underlying the action of ghrelin on hippocampal-dependent memory. Our data show that GHS-R1a is localized in the vicinity of hippocampal excitatory synapses, and that its activation increases delivery of α-amino-3-hydroxy-5-methyl-4-isoxazole propionic-type receptors (AMPARs) to synapses, producing functional modifications at excitatory synapses. Moreover, GHS-R1a activation enhances two different paradigms of long-term potentiation in the hippocampus, activates the phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase, and increases GluA1 AMPAR subunit and stargazin phosphorylation. We propose that GHS-R1a activation in the hippocampus enhances excitatory synaptic transmission and synaptic plasticity by regulating AMPAR trafficking. Our study provides insights into mechanisms that may mediate the cognition-enhancing effect of ghrelin, and suggests a possible link between the regulation of energy metabolism and learning. 

https://www.jstage.j..._EJ13-0008/_pdf

Endocr J. 2013;60(6):781-9. Epub 2013 Feb 15.

Ghrelin directly stimulates adult hippocampal neurogenesis: implications for learning and memory.

Abstract

Adult hippocampal neurogenesis is important in mediating hippocampal-dependent learning and memory. Exogenous ghrelin is known to stimulate progenitor cell proliferation in the dentate gyrus of adult hippocampus. The aim of this study was to investigate the role of endogenous ghrelin in regulating the in vivo proliferation and differentiation of the newly generating cells in the adult hippocampus using ghrelin knockout (GKO) mice. Targeted deletion of ghrelin gene resulted in reduced numbers of progenitor cells in the subgranular zone (SGZ) of the hippocampus, while ghrelintreatment restored progenitor cell numbers to those of wild-type controls. We also found that not only the number of bromodeoxyuridine (BrdU)-positive cells but also the fraction of immature neurons and newly generated neurons were decreased in the GKO mice, which were increased byghrelin replacement. Additionally, in the GKO mice, we observed impairment of memory performance in Y-maze task and novel object recognition test. However, these functional deficiencies were attenuated by ghrelin administration. These results suggest that ghrelin directly induces proliferation and differentiation of adult neural progenitor cells in the SGZ. Our data suggest ghrelin may be a plausible therapeutic potential to enhance learning and memory processes.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25173805

Neurobiol Dis. 2014 Aug 27. pii: S0969-9961(14)00257-5. doi: 10.1016/j.nbd.2014.08.026. [Epub ahead of print]
Ghrelin: A link between ageing, metabolism and neurodegenerative disorders.
Abstract

Along with the increase in life expectancy over the last century comes the increased risk for development of age-related disorders, including metabolic and neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and Huntington's diseases. These chronic disorders share two main characteristics: 1) neuronal loss in motor, sensory or cognitive systems, leading to cognitive and motor decline; and 2) a strong correlation between metabolic changes and neurodegeneration. In order to treat them, a better understanding of their complexity is required: it is necessary to interpret the neuronal damage in light of the metabolic changes, and to find the disrupted link between the peripheral organs governing energy metabolism and the CNS. This review is an attempt to present ghrelin as part of molecular regulatory interface between energy metabolism, neuroendocrine and neurodegenerative processes. Ghrelin takes part in lipid and glucose metabolism, in higher brain functions such as sleep-wake state, learning and memory consolidation; it influences mitochondrial respiration and shows neuroprotective effect. All these make ghrelin an attractive target for development of biomarkers or therapeutics for prevention or treatment of disorders, in which cell protection and recruitment of new neurons or synapses are needed.

...And a counterpoint...

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24211302

Neuroscience. 2014 Jan 17;257:175-85. doi: 10.1016/j.neuroscience.2013.10.063. Epub 2013 Nov 6.
Ghrelin administration enhances neurogenesis but impairs spatial learning and memory in adult mice.
Zhao Z1Liu H2Xiao K3Yu M3Cui L3Zhu Q3Zhao R4Li GD5Zhou Y6.
Abstract

Ghrelin, an orexigenic brain-gut hormone promoting feeding and regulating energy metabolism in human and rodents, was reported to enhance both adult neurogenesis and hippocampus-dependent memory formation. However, it is still unclear whether ghrelin-induced hippocampus neurogenesis is responsible for its memory improvement. Using 5-bromo-2' deoxyuridien (BrdU) to birth-date newborn neurons and c-Fos expression to identify dentate gyrus (DG) neurons involved in memory processes, we checked here the effect of ghrelin treatment on adult neurogenesis and cognitive behaviors in mice. We further examined the possible effect of ghrelin on the recruitment of new neurons into the spatial memory traces in intact mice. We found that systemic ghrelin treatment (80μg/kg, ip injection once daily for 8days) stimulated neurogenesis in the adult hippocampus, but had no effect on spatial memory formation. Consistently, it did not affect the incorporation of newborn neurons into the spatial memory circuits. On the contrary, local infusion of ghrelin (8ng/0.5μl into CA1 region of the hippocampus) impaired spatial memory formation, but did not affect adult neurogenesis. Our results thus suggested that ghrelin plays distinct roles in modulating adult neurogenesis and the memory acquisition in the hippocampus, the two processes may not be correlated and may be mediated by different mechanisms.

Edited by lostfalco, 21 October 2014 - 03:04 AM.

• like x 1

#2142 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:02 AM

Kombucha seems to have hydrogen.  I wonder how many ppm is found in there....

Nice find! Hmmm....gonna have to look into this. 

This is just absurdly badass. 

#2143 Joe Cohen

• 156 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:47 AM

LF,

ghrelin is an antiinflammatory and antidepressant as well.

• Ghrelin levels in the plasma of obese individuals are lower than those in leaner individuals,[66] suggesting that ghrelin does not contribute to obesity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin

Hydrogen is supposed to decrease obesity, probably by increasing energy expenditure.

Edited by Joe Cohen, 21 October 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#2144 abelard lindsay

• 873 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:40 AM

As far as the molecular hydrogen stuff goes, is this the same stuff as the Dr. Patrick Flanagan's hydrogen boost supplement that has been around for a while? I always take them when I've thrown out my back and they help a lot with the inflammation.

Here's a link to the product. They say it's a potent anti-oxidant:

http://www.globalhea...drate-benefits/

Edited by abelard lindsay, 21 October 2014 - 09:42 AM.

#2145 Candidatus

• 144 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:52 AM

@abelard 

What is your dosage? And just by a chance, do you also see any benefits for muscle recovery?

I ordered the Hydrogen Boost http://www.iherb.com...-Capsules/24232 and they say you should take 2caps/day. Do you generally agree or did you experiment with the dosage? Thanks

• like x 1

#2146 eno

• 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

Paper about the ghrelin hypothesis and it's prospective implications.

Not a peer-reviewed journal article but informative anyway.

Potential Ghrelin-Mediated Benefits and Risks of Hydrogen Water 
Mark F. McCarty, Catalytic Longevity, markfmccarty@gmail.com 

Molecular hydrogen (H2) can scavenge hydroxyl radical and diminish the toxicity of peroxynitrite; hence, it has interesting potential for antioxidant protection. Recently, a number of studies have explored the utility of inhaled hydrogen gas, or of hydrogen-saturated water, administered parenterally or orally, in rodent models of pathology and in clinical trials, oftentimes with very positive outcomes. The efficacy of orally ingested hydrogen-rich water (HW) has been particularly surprising, given that only transient and rather small increments in plasma hydrogen can be achieved by this method. A recent study in mice has discovered that orally administered HW provokes increased gastric production of the orexic hormone ghrelin, and that this ghrelin mediates the favorable impact of HW on a mouse model of Parkinson’s disease. The possibility that most of the benefits observed with HW in experimental studies are mediated by ghrelin merits consideration. Ghrelin is well known to function as an appetite stimulant and secretagogue for growth hormone, but it influences physiological function throughout the body via interaction with the widely express GHS-R1a receptor. Rodent and, to a more limited extent, clinical studies establish that ghrelin has versatile neuroprotective and cognitive enhancing activity, favorably impacts vascular health, exerts anti-inflammatory activity useful in autoimmune disorders, and is markedly hepatoprotective. The stimulatory impact of ghrelin on GH-IGF-I activity, while potentially beneficial in sarcopenia or cachectic disorders, does raise concerns regarding the long-term impact of ghrelin up-regulation on cancer risk. The impact of ingesting HW water on ghrelin production in humans needs to be evaluated; if HW does up-regulate ghrelin in humans, it may have versatile potential for prevention and control of a number of health disorders.

→ source (external link)

#2147 mctxp

• 8 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:50 PM

Hi all,

What is your view about using infrared sound with infrared light? I cannot find any infrared sound yet. But it can be good combination to experiment.

Please share.

Thanks

#2148 rikelme

• 174 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:47 AM

Hi all,

What is your view about using infrared sound with infrared light? I cannot find any infrared sound yet. But it can be good combination to experiment.

Please share.

Thanks

Infrared sound does not exist :) How come a sound can be red (unless you take some hallucinogens)?

#2149 Mustafa

• 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

So we have alkaline water which is good to general health (due to hydrogen mostly) but not so great for heart (pathological changes in heart cell muscles which increased the risk of heart attack in laboratory animals). On the other hand, a hydrogen-rich water that is slightly alkalinish have all the benefit of alkaline water without being harmful (this is my own findings/judgment anyways). Lourdes Hydrogen Water Generator claims to produce a low alkaline/high hydrogen water but I have no idea how to verify the claims..

http://www.h2-h2o.com/lourdes.html

Lostfalco, I guess you have bought the generator. Is there anyway you can verify the claims? the hydrogen content and the alkalinity. 

#2150 BieraK

• 274 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Does anyone know if this could have implications related to EGFR upregulation risks?

Pyrroloquinoline quinone stimulates epithelial cell proliferation by activating epidermal growth factor receptor through redox cycling.
Kimura K1Takada MIshii TTsuji-Naito KAkagawa M. 
Abstract  

Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), a redox cofactor for bacterial dehydrogenases, has been implicated to be an important nutrient in mammals functioning as a potent growth factor. However, the underlying molecular mechanisms have not been elucidated. The present study revealed that PQQ induces the activation (tyrosine autophosphorylation) of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and its downstream signaling in a ligand-independent manner, leading to increased cellular proliferation in an epithelial cell line A431. PQQ inhibited protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B), which negatively regulates the EGFR signaling by tyrosine dephosphorylation, to oxidatively modify the catalytic cysteine through its redox cycling activity to generate H(2)O(2). PQQ-inducible intracellular ROS production and EGFR activation were significantly suppressed by the pre-treatment with antioxidants. The intracellular redox state regulates the EGFR signaling through the redox-sensitive catalytic cysteine of PTP1B and modulates cell proliferation. Our data suggest that PQQ may stimulate epithelial cell proliferation by activating EGFR by oxidation and subsequent inactivation of PTP1B via its redox cycling. Our results provide novel insight into the mechanisms by which PQQ may function as a growth factor to contribute to mammalian growth.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Mutations affecting EGFR expression or activity could result in cancer.[3

Could it be dangerous to combine TULIP with BDNF/NGF Promoters like Noopept, Curcumin, Lithium or with neurogenics like NSI-189?

Edited by Arsonista, 25 October 2014 - 11:19 AM.

#2151 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:20 PM

LF,

ghrelin is an antiinflammatory and antidepressant as well.

• Ghrelin levels in the plasma of obese individuals are lower than those in leaner individuals,[66] suggesting that ghrelin does not contribute to obesity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghrelin

Hydrogen is supposed to decrease obesity, probably by increasing energy expenditure.

I'm with you, Joe. I read this rodent study on H2 and obesity a few months ago. Just erring on the side of caution. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/21293445

Molecular hydrogen improves obesity and diabetes by inducing hepatic FGF21 and stimulating energy metabolism in db/db mice.

Abstract

Recent extensive studies have revealed that molecular hydrogen (H(2)) has great potential for improving oxidative stress-related diseases by inhaling H(2) gas, injecting saline with dissolved H(2), or drinking water with dissolved H(2) (H(2)-water); however, little is known about the dynamic movement of H(2) in a body. First, we show that hepatic glycogen accumulates H(2) after oral administration of H(2)-water, explaining why consumption of even a small amount of H(2) over a short span time efficiently improves various disease models. This finding was supported by an in vitro experiment in which glycogen solution maintained H(2). Next, we examined the benefit of ad libitum drinking H(2)-water to type 2 diabetes using db/db obesity model mice lacking the functional leptin receptor. Drinking H(2)-water reduced hepatic oxidative stress, and significantly alleviated fatty liver in db/db mice as well as high fat-diet-induced fatty liver in wild-type mice. Long-term drinking H(2)-water significantly controlled fat and body weights, despite no increase in consumption of diet and water. Moreover, drinking H(2)-water decreased levels of plasma glucose, insulin, and triglyceride, the effect of which on hyperglycemia was similar to diet restriction. To examine how drinking H(2)-water improves obesityand metabolic parameters at the molecular level, we examined gene-expression profiles, and found enhanced expression of a hepatic hormone, fibroblast growth factor 21 (FGF21), which functions to enhance fatty acid and glucose expenditure. Indeed, H(2) stimulated energy metabolism as measured by oxygen consumption. The present results suggest the potential benefit of H(2) in improving obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.

Edited by lostfalco, 25 October 2014 - 02:24 PM.

• like x 1

#2152 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:30 PM

As far as the molecular hydrogen stuff goes, is this the same stuff as the Dr. Patrick Flanagan's hydrogen boost supplement that has been around for a while? I always take them when I've thrown out my back and they help a lot with the inflammation.

Here's a link to the product. They say it's a potent anti-oxidant:

http://www.globalhea...drate-benefits/

Hey, what's up Abelard? Flanagan's supplement uses silica hydride which is different than molecular hydrogen. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/12511108

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15117557

#2153 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:33 PM

Paper about the ghrelin hypothesis and it's prospective implications.

Thanks, eno! Always good to consider counterpoints and be aware of possible risks. 

#2154 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

So we have alkaline water which is good to general health (due to hydrogen mostly) but not so great for heart (pathological changes in heart cell muscles which increased the risk of heart attack in laboratory animals). On the other hand, a hydrogen-rich water that is slightly alkalinish have all the benefit of alkaline water without being harmful (this is my own findings/judgment anyways). Lourdes Hydrogen Water Generator claims to produce a low alkaline/high hydrogen water but I have no idea how to verify the claims..

http://www.h2-h2o.com/lourdes.html

Lostfalco, I guess you have bought the generator. Is there anyway you can verify the claims? the hydrogen content and the alkalinity. 

What's up, Mustafa? I don't currently have a meter but I'll look into it and get back to you. 

#2155 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:49 PM

Does anyone know if this could have implications related to EGFR upregulation risks?

Pyrroloquinoline quinone stimulates epithelial cell proliferation by activating epidermal growth factor receptor through redox cycling.
Kimura K1Takada MIshii TTsuji-Naito KAkagawa M. 
Abstract  

Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ), a redox cofactor for bacterial dehydrogenases, has been implicated to be an important nutrient in mammals functioning as a potent growth factor. However, the underlying molecular mechanisms have not been elucidated. The present study revealed that PQQ induces the activation (tyrosine autophosphorylation) of epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and its downstream signaling in a ligand-independent manner, leading to increased cellular proliferation in an epithelial cell line A431. PQQ inhibited protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B (PTP1B), which negatively regulates the EGFR signaling by tyrosine dephosphorylation, to oxidatively modify the catalytic cysteine through its redox cycling activity to generate H(2)O(2). PQQ-inducible intracellular ROS production and EGFR activation were significantly suppressed by the pre-treatment with antioxidants. The intracellular redox state regulates the EGFR signaling through the redox-sensitive catalytic cysteine of PTP1B and modulates cell proliferation. Our data suggest that PQQ may stimulate epithelial cell proliferation by activating EGFR by oxidation and subsequent inactivation of PTP1B via its redox cycling. Our results provide novel insight into the mechanisms by which PQQ may function as a growth factor to contribute to mammalian growth.

Copyright © 2012 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Mutations affecting EGFR expression or activity could result in cancer.[3

Hey Arsonista, I think the key word here is 'mutations'. Just about anything becomes dangerous when a mutation causes unrestrained expression. I think we're fine with PQQ. In fact, it's currently being researched for its anti-cancer properties. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/25161699

J Cancer. 2014 Jul 29;5(7):609-24. doi: 10.7150/jca.9002. eCollection 2014.

Pyrroloquinoline Quinone Induces Cancer Cell Apoptosis via Mitochondrial-Dependent Pathway and Down-Regulating Cellular Bcl-2 Protein Expression.

Abstract

Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) has been reported as a promising agent that might contribute to tumor cell apoptosis and death, yet little is known on its mechanisms. In current study, the effect of PQQ on cell proliferation and mitochondrial-dependent apoptosis were examined in 3 solid tumor cell lines (A549, Neuro-2A and HCC-LM3). PQQ treatment at low to medium dosage exhibited potent anti-tumor activity on A549 and Neuro-2A cells, while had comparably minimal impact on the viabilities of 2 human normal cell lines (HRPTEpiC and HUVEC). The apoptosis of the 3 tumor cell lines induced by PQQ were increased in a concentration-dependent manner, which might be attributed to the accumulation of intracellular reactive oxygen species (ROS), decline in ATP levels and dissipation of mitochondrial membrane potential (MMP), in conjunction with down-regulation of Bcl-2 protein expression, up-regulation of activated caspase-3, and disturbed phosphorylated MAPK protein levels. PQQ induced tumor cells apoptosis was significantly alleviated by pan-caspase inhibitor Z-VAD-FMK. The present work highlights the potential capability of PQQ as an anti-tumor agent with low toxicity towards normal cells through activating mitochondrial-dependent apoptosis pathways, and warrants its development for cancer therapy.

Edited by lostfalco, 25 October 2014 - 02:57 PM.

• like x 1

#2156 Barfly

• 65 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:58 PM

Everything I have tried on this thread has been a God send for me so I am jumping on H2 bandwagon too :)

Just curious on what is the most cost effective way of getting H2 so far? (I apologize if that was already answered)

Thanks

#2157 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Since we're on the subject of PQQ...very interesting recent study on PQQ and inflammation. 

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC4196908/

PLoS One. 2014 Oct 14;9(10):e109502. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0109502. eCollection 2014.

Pyrroloquinoline Quinone (PQQ) Inhibits Lipopolysaccharide Induced Inflammation in Part via Downregulated NF-κB and p38/JNK Activation in Microglial and Attenuates Microglia Activation in Lipopolysaccharide Treatment Mice.

Yang C1Yu L1Kong L2Ma R3Zhang J1Zhu Q1Zhu J1Hao D2.
Abstract

Therapeutic strategies designed to inhibit the activation of microglia may lead to significant advancement in the treatment of most neurodegenerative diseases. Pyrroloquinoline quinone (PQQ) is a naturally occurring redox cofactor that acts as an essential nutrient, antioxidant, and has been reported to exert potent immunosuppressive effects. In the present study, the anti-inflammatory effects of PQQ was investigated in LPS treated primary microglia cells. Our observations showed that pretreatment with PQQ significantly inhibited the production of NO and PGE2 and suppressed the expression of pro-inflammatory mediators such as iNOS, COX-2, TNF-a, IL-1b, IL-6, MCP-1 and MIP-1a in LPS treated primary microglia cells. The nuclear translocation of NF-κB and the phosphorylation level of p65, p38 and JNK MAP kinase pathways were also inhibited by PQQ in LPS stimulated primary microglia cells. Further a systemic LPS treatment acute inflammation murine brain model was used to study the suppressive effects of PQQ against neuroinflammation in vivo. Mice treated with PQQ demonstrated marked attenuation of neuroinflammation based on Western blotting and immunohistochemistry analysis of Iba1-against antibody in the brain tissue. Indicated that PQQ protected primary cortical neurons against microglia-mediated neurotoxicity. These results collectively suggested that PQQ might be a promising therapeutic agent for alleviating the progress of neurodegenerative diseases associated with microglia activation.

Edited by lostfalco, 25 October 2014 - 03:39 PM.

#2158 lostfalco

• Topic Starter
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:42 PM

Everything I have tried on this thread has been a God send for me so I am jumping on H2 bandwagon too :)

Just curious on what is the most cost effective way of getting H2 so far? (I apologize if that was already answered)

Thanks

Hey Barfly, I'm glad some of my craziness has worked for you. =)

A number of us are currently testing various methods...so there's no consensus yet. 

http://www.longecity...-72#entry693298

Edited by lostfalco, 25 October 2014 - 03:55 PM.

• like x 1

#2159 Makiavel

• 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:33 PM

Here's an update on the magnesium sticks I received 2 days ago.

First, I had to clean them with a mild acid because they arrived dirty.  I mixed vinegar with cold water 50/50 and there was an immediate reaction.  The magnesium was cleaner after and I had to use something sharp to remove some black spots on the stick (they looked like dried grease or gum from a machine.)  

I put the stick for about 5 minutes in tap water, I shaked the glass a bit and I could see the reaction (hydrogen bubbles forming at the surface of the stick.)  I drank about 500mL immediatly and I had an effect within the first 10 minutes.  It didn't feel anything special, but I felt a mild feeling of "overwhelming" or "pressure" in my brain, very close to when I took 100mg of CoQ10 for the first time and my body was not used to it (I usually need much less of many supplements to get in the sweet spot than most people.) It is a mild physical feeling and does not impair my thinking.  I was too curious to wait and I have mixed cofactors so I will update later once I have time to do this experience seriously.

I also tested the water after putting the stick for 4h in the tap water just to get an idea of how much magnesium was there.  My tap water ph is about 6.8.  After 4h in a 500mL plastic bottle, the ph was around 8.0, so an increase of 1.2 +/- 0.3 (I am testing with a pool ph tester and that's my estimate) and the concentration of alkaline ions increased by 40 +/- 15 ppm (with another pool type of pool tester.)  It went from 40 to 80 ppm.  I estimate that I added about 40mg of magnesium per liter of water, which is not a concern for me. 

My tap water is soft water and mildly acidic, so the reaction happens faster than the average. 

• like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#2160 Makiavel

• 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hi all,

Please share.

Thanks

Infrared sound does not exist :) How come a sound can be red (unless you take some hallucinogens)?

He must refers to infrasounds, i.e., sounds below the frequency of 20Hz.  Physically they are completely different things.  The only thing I have read about the use of infrasound is the use of binaural beats to create that frequency in the brain and force the brain to switch to that frequency, which is a completely different subject.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nootropic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Topic Led By