- - - - -

Ashwagandha - Bad reaction anyone?

ashwaganda bad reaction side effect

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 HeyItsMeLC

• 65 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:00 PM

Has anyone had a bad reaction from Ashwagandha?

Man I am really bummed about this one as it seems to be almost miraculous for some people. In my case I seem to be getting some sort of weird reaction.

I am confident it is not a bad batch as I gave it to a family member with no ill effects and it is from a reputable company (GNC).

In my case when I take it I get this very weird sensation where my neck and chest muscles start to tighten up, and feel really weird. Last time felt like I had a little difficulty breathing but it could be anxiety.

I tried couple of times with 1 pill 470mg, 3rd time went with half a dose and same thing. First time I took it I felt hot and started to sweat and felt a little drunk. Also next day I feel like I have some sort of hangover feeling where I can feel it in my body.

Really wanted this to work, should I try another brand or is this some sort of allergic reaction or maybe its just not for me. Anyone with similar or other bad reactions from Ashwaganda?

#2 Guardian4981

• 248 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

I share you experience in some ways. The sweating is likely from ashwaghandas ability to boost thyroid levels.

I felt slight tightness in my neck and chest as well, and I had a bit of headache next day. My suspicion is that since ashwaghanda has a strong influence on gaba, there may be a "hangover" reaction after the supplement is discontinued even for a day.

I think ashwaghanda is overated to be honest.

Edited by Guardian4981, 08 May 2013 - 08:19 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Q did it!

• 354 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

I had a few negative reactions, lose bowels, made me feel plain weird, and it screwed with my thyroid hormones.

#4 guitarparty

• 22 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:48 AM

Ashwagandha, a note for those with digestive issues

If you don't have digestive issues, then this note isn't particularly likely to apply to you. This note is especially for people with multiple food sensitivity issues, people who end up going to an allergist and/or a gastroenterologist for what can be disabling gut issues.

If you have something like Inflammatory Bowel disease, Crohn's Disease, Microscipic Colitis, Celiac Disease, Leaky Gut Syndrome, multiple food allergies/sensitivities, and the like, then this note might interest you. Some book authors believe it takes gut healing to ameliorate psoriasis or interstitial cystitis too, so this might also be of some interest to you if you have either of those problems.

I researched Ashwagandha for myself, for the second time around, looking for side-effects issues. It didn't seem especially likely that this supplement would cause me difficulties when I was considering ordering it the first time. WebMD positively glows with the supplement's potential. But after I figured out that this was making me sick in multiple ways, and that those ways continued far past the time I'd managed to get over the intense and overwhelming chest pain (with some breathing issues too), I did a little more looking around the web for Ashwagandha side effects.

When I researched it for the second time, I found out that this supplement is a member of the Solanaceae family of plants, commonly called the nightshades. All plants have some amount of toxins in them in at least the form of varying amounts of oxalates, and we have evolved to be able, ordinarily, to deal with all the small amounts of toxins in edible plants too. But members of the nightshades family have some extra toxins in addition to oxalates, so these make it very important for your gut to be working properly to do that extra digestive work. But some people - those with leaky gut problems and the kind of digestive issues you can get as a result - have more of a burden than most people; an inflammed gut doesn't work ideally... and putting extra toxins into it just makes its problems worse.

In addition, it's easy for allergic-tending people to become allergic to members of the nightshades family. I have a barrelfull of foods and inhalants I'm tested allergic to. Ashwaganda had no bad effects for me initially. But, as my allergist told me long ago, I tend to develop allergies so easily that anything I put in my mouth on a daily basis stood a very good chance of becoming an allergen for me.

That's where I am right now as I'm writing this. I won't go into all the gut issues, but I've been bending over backward to try to heal my gut, which had gotten so chronically inflamed that it had become disabling. I have been avoiding all the zillions of foods I'm tested allergic to, and avoiding all nightshades too, every last one. I thought. Yet I was still having flares of terrible health in multiple ways... when I finally noticed the connection in the timing for the episodes when I started getting, for starters, terrible, terrible chest pain. And it continues well past the time of the modulation of the chest pain and other digestive symptoms, into making my blood sugar and my blood pressure shoot upwards for at least two days. It continued for days to making putting anything at all into the stomach produce chest pain and abdominal pain, from the mechanical impact of food on an inflammed gut. What might be even worse, the list of potential problems I read about at the Buzzle website (with lots of information on potential side effects) included kidney disease. I'm currently in a losing battle in trying to halt the downward progression of that particular disease.

I've long known I was allergic to several foods in the nightshade family and violently affected by the smell of at least one member of the nightshade family: tobacco. All I have to do to get a horrible headache and other symptoms too is simply to be in the same room with someone smoking, even though I've never smoked. If you happen to have tobacco reaction issues, you might be on the lookout for a reaction to Ashwagandha too.

By the way, Buzzle is a good place to find a fuller discussion of side effects issues than most any other place I've seen. I realized I was seeing effects on Policosanol, something that I'd read about sufficiently, I thought... when I developed bleeding problems from it. Sure enough, if I'd read Buzzle to begin with, I'd have known what to be on the lookout for with that particular supplement.

Google search on "Ashwaganda Side Effects" brings up:

<http://www.buzzle.co...e-effects.html>

Google search on "Policosanol Side Effects" brings up:

<http://www.buzzle.co...e-effects.html>

Best wishes

Mary

#5 aphex

• 19 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

I've continuously taken ahswagandha, about 2 - 3 months until I stopped it. I've taken it for stress and methylphenidate (prescribed) induced anxiety.

First there was a real positive development. My dreams were deeper and I remembered them better, I got calm more and more and even more concentrated and aggressive in a positive way. The anxiety and stress seemed to dull me before and it was the first time I even noticed how stressed I've been before.

But I also experienced bad reactions with ashwagandha:

• A few hours after intake I noticed headache. This went away after some time.
  • A few hours after intake I experienced something like a 'stress-rebound' and was pissed off because of everything.
  • When I took too much during the day of an eBay product with unknown dosage, concentration etc. I merely could get out of my bed the next day. Felt like I was drunk
  • Lately I became extremely depressed so that even my body 'energy' was so down that it was hard to go up a stair (although I'm exercising regularly). First I thought it was because of the beginning of my hay fever which symptoms were frustrating and if not, the antihistamines were depressing. I stopped the medication and it didn't become better so venlafaxine was prescribed.
  • My depressive symptoms already faded away after a few days which is not typical for a 'real depression' caused by hippocampal atrophy or whatsoever.

After some research (pubmed) I have found out that hay fever leads to depression in some subjects, not indirectly by the annoying symptoms but via cytokines. A higher amount of these pro-inflammatory substances are secreted during hay fever and can cause malaise or depression.

Ashwagandha has also pro-inflammatory effects by raising levels of some hay-fever-relevant interleukins/cytokines and thus - so I concluded - amplifies hay fever induced depression.
When I stopped ashwadandha depression went I away like I've said and also hay fever symptoms became several magnitudes weaker!

Btw Curcumin is anti-inflammatory by reducing cytokine levels and is also researched for hay fever. It helped me several times to reduce my allergic rhinitis / ashwagandha induced depressive symptoms for a few hours.

Be cautious!

#6 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 08:52 AM

i've had the ashwagandha headache a number of times. i attribute it to vasodilation and slight dehydration. I think it is wise to consume more water than usual when taking ashwagandha

#7 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 April 2018 - 10:57 PM

Fuck Ashwagndha. It's shit and made me more depressed and made weird.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • Informative x 1

#8 bariotako

• 32 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:58 AM

Fuck Ashwagndha. It's shit and made me more depressed and made weird.

You are the only person who got these kind of reaction :)   among 100 000 people, you are the only one, congratulation  ! 

• Ill informed x 1
  • dislike x 1

#9 iseethelight

• 238 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 05:23 PM

You are the only person who got these kind of reaction :)   among 100 000 people, you are the only one, congratulation  ! 

Head over to reddit and do simple search for ashwagandha. Half of the anecdotes are negative. Ashwagandha is a nightshade, a lot of people are intolerant to it.

I did get a quick boost in mood right after dosing it sometimes but that quickly turned into anger and dullness and lethargy.

#10 Blueflash

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 06:01 PM

GNC is NOT reputable. They along with Spring Valley were caught with fake products on ginseng and a few others

#11 Blueflash

• 61 posts
  • NO

Posted 17 April 2018 - 08:39 PM

https://nypost.com/2...think-they-are/

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#12 sinkhole

• 10 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:25 AM

Same here. i wanted this to work given all the positive reviews and the many claims it's suppose to do. Same as L theanine for me. Pretty sure its the GABA response given I get the same reaction on both. I tried the other day again because I forgot why I had stopped it before. Took one in morning felt great. Laid back kind of taking the world as it came to me. Took another before bedtime woke up at 4am never went back to sleep, felt disconnected the next day with a slight headache. Just doesn't work for me.

Edited by sinkhole, 20 April 2018 - 01:31 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ashwaganda, bad reaction, side effect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users