Photo

Consequences of long term histamine blockade

antihistamines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nowayout

• 2,946 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:55 AM

Does anybody have an idea of any possible deleterious consequences of long term use on the body and the brain of strong antihistamines? I don't seem to get any side effects that I can reliably ascribe to them (I actually wish I could find one that reliably sedated me at night but no such luck). Should I be worried about something?

#2 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:10 AM

As I'm sure you are aware, some antihistamines are strong anticholinergics and studies have shown chronic use can cause long term cognitive impairment and higher mortality.

http://www.google.co...iw=1366&bih=643

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 YOLF

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:11 AM

Any in particular? What about the common over the counter stuff like Claritin?

#4 Bonee

• 147 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

second generation antihistamines are generally do not cross the BBB therefore can't do any serious harm in the brain if you got a functioning BBB.
unfortunately I find second generation antihistamines to be not enough effective

#5 nowayout

• Topic Starter
  • 2,946 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:36 AM

second generation antihistamines are generally do not cross the BBB therefore can't do any serious harm in the brain if you got a functioning BBB.
unfortunately I find second generation antihistamines to be not enough effective

Me either. I use hydroxyzine now. Also have been taking mirtazapine mostly for insomnia, though it does not work for that so I'll probably stop that.

I bet absolutely no sedation from these strong antihistamines except on the very first dose after a long break, so some very quick CNS adaptation happens there, which makes me kind of nervous.

Me either. I use hydroxyzine now. Also have been taking mirtazapine mostly for insomnia, though it does not work for that so I'll probably stop that.

I wish I could get sedation as a side effect, but I get absolutely no sedation from these strong antihistamines except on the very first dose after a long break, so some very quick CNS adaptation happens there, which makes me kind of nervous.

Edited by viveutvivas, 13 May 2013 - 01:37 AM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 cudBwrong

• 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

I don't think that chronic use of antihistamines is ideal. Of course, I say this as someone who took them for 50 years! Every day for about the last 20 years of that period.

Even worse than antihistamines is histamine, in the sense that it is a sign that your immune system is very active.

I had extreme seasonal allergy. In 1983 my allergist told me "You are the most allergic person I have ever seen." Of course, she saw allergy patients every day. She did not suggest allergy shots, probably because she thought I would die. There have been fatalities.

More recently, Sub Lingual Immunotherapy (SLIT) has become more popular in the US, and a doctor suggested I try it. The allergens go under the tongue, so it is safer. You don't break the skin. You have skin for a reason.

This is the second allergy season that I am totally symptom free after starting SLIT. It is absolutely unbelievable.

I also have a disease of the retina (IPT) which I suspect may have been caused or aggravated by my allergies. There is a connection in that the retina disease is caused by excess VEGF, and allergy patients secrete VEGF and have abnormal levels in their blood.

The main point is that I suggest you treat the underlying condition. Your mileage may vary, but I am truly amazed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: antihistamines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users