• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Levetiracetam-Induced Psychosis? Even with Choline and B Vitamins?

psychosis

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ▲420MD

• 81 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:36 PM

I've been taking Keppra(Levetiracetam) for about a month now and was warned about its psychological effects - so I took B6 and decided to add choline since it helps with Piracetam which I also take. However, day by day I seem to be getting what I can only describe as "more noise in my head". I'm on a fairly low dose of 500mg a day and have been up to 20 Grams of Piracetam per day without any issue at all, even up to 1 Gram of Noopept in a day!

Does anyone have reccomendations on how to counteract this developing psychosis? At my arsenal I have:
Mirtazapine, Tramadol, Xanax and Klonopin, Admantadine and Memantine, and Dronabinol.

#2 Absent

• 492 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:25 AM

Uhm, is it possible to stop taking it? If it's not doing anything good for you, and only causing problems, then why would you take something to stop that problem, instead of just stopping taking it? Kinda sounds like you want to fix a knife wound by sticking another knife to stop the bleeding.

By the way, I will say this, almost all choline supplements I have tried make me feel more foggy, sluggish, etc, and in general that lack of mental clairty. If I ever take Piracetam I always take Fish Oil as a source of choline. It seems to do the opposite of the choline salts - actually speeding up and enhancing the clarity of mind.

And by the way again, you might want to refine your definition of Psychosis. You essentially described brainfog, not psychosis. Lol. Psychosis isn't the state of having a weak/cloudy state of mind. It's being overcome by delusions, false beliefs, etc. If you want to see what psychotic is like, go smoke a gram of meth, which, I do not recommend you do.

Edited by Siro, 05 September 2013 - 03:29 AM.

• like x 2

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ▲420MD

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:14 PM

I have epilepsy, it's only controlled so far with Depakote, Keppra and Dronabinol. If I drop the Keppra I'm going to need to start taking 2 Grams of Depakote instead of 1.5Gr. and I hate Depakote as well - that makes me an idiot.
Could be taken off, I really appreciate its complex pro-cognitive effects compared to other 'racetams though - it seems to be the most stimulating 'racetam, the most anti-social/depressive 'racetam I've experienced.
I only say "psychosis" because keppra induced psychosis is in public literature, it feels more like restlessness though.

#4 formergenius

• 708 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

Yes, Levetiracetam can have anxiety as a side-effect, though you're doubtfully psychotic judging from your coherent writings.
I'm not sure why you've got Dronabinol for your epilepsy? It would seem rather inferior for that purpose compared to CBD, also judging from this text (also this article) it might actually be pro-convulsant, though the chart below begs to differ... Why not use CBD instead, and drop the rest? Surely it wouldn't be that hard to get CBD prescribed, seeing as you've already managed to get Dronabinol prescribed.
Posted Image

Just an idea to discuss with your doctor ;)

Edited by formergenius, 05 September 2013 - 06:10 PM.

• like x 1

#5 Sciencyst

• 272 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:03 AM

Lower the dosage, find a better source of choline, do not mix with too much B-Vitamins as they can be rather stimulating, and certainly DO NOT mix with memantine. Also try to find a better cocktail, as heaping together that many psychoactive compounds often has unforeseen and unintened outcomes.

#6 Eruditus

• 100 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:58 AM

Drop all the meds except for the direly essential to keep you from having epileptic seizure and then prepare to bite through for the anxiety related delusion that you are going to be stuck in a permanent psychosis; it will be a lot better after just one week, this I promise.
  • dislike x 3

#7 Tom_

• 1,120 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

You aren't psychotic (no where near mate).

Kick the Piracetam, choline and B6.

What type of epilepsy do you have (and what kind of seizures are most common?), do you have any other health conditions (including mental health) and what meds have you tried for the epilepsy? Maybe I can suggest a reasonable cross taper or addition of a low dose of another antiepileptic that will help with the side effects and improve seizure control.

The only two drugs you should be taking are a low dose benzo and the leetiracetam. Clonazepam is the name for Klonipin (how ever you spell it) and that would be best.

Edited by Tom_, 25 October 2013 - 11:15 AM.

#8 ▲420MD

• Topic Starter
  • 81 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

This is like an old thread, Keppra is a shitty -racetam and I don't reccomend it for anyone just like scienceguy says. It helps reduce seizures, neurotoxcicity, and mainly myoclonus that breakthrough Valproate Semisodium. I have no psychosis from it, it just will make you depressed in larger doses. 250mg twice daily is generally as much as I'd reccomend and for epilepsy, not as a nootroptic.

Anyone who is interested in stalking me, lol, my current medications and supplements:
Mirtazapine tapered from 90mg to 30mg, will start cutting this further shorty with the intent of being completely off Mirtazapine as it causes RLS and a bunch of other needless side effects - it helped when I needed it greatly, I mean greatly. But I don't need it and won't.

Tapered off the Tramadol and ran a few weeks of LDN up to 5mg, started taking up to 300mg a day again mostly for energy and because my wisdom teeth are impacted and needing to be taken out. So I AM taking Tramadol again, not on a daily basis and basically as pain medication.

Still on Dronabinol and I don't regret it. All cannabinoids have a spectrum of health benefits but I feel my personal neruochemical make-up is lacking in either CB1 Ligands, or CB1 receptors as THC helps everything from headaches, sleep, depression, anxiety, literally like everything. I would prefer something like Sativex, but Cesamet is Schedule 2 in the US while Dronabinol is only Schedule 3 - it may be one number but Class 2's are rarely written by doctors as the DEA contacts them in regards to them.
Actually talking about Cesamet got my really open doctor pissed off, and he explained to me he can't be writing schedule 2's as thats like writing oxy and it flags the system. I've taken up to 200mg of Dronabinol, no psychosis only "greening-out" after much laughter, munchies and good times. 40mg is a really good medicinal dose, but so is 10mg.

No NMDA antagonists anymore, only the antivirals when I'm around people who are sick. As they seem to have worked in every case so far. If it's placebo, its damn good placebo.

No benzodiazapines, They suck and completely reverse effects of nootropics. "stupidity-in-a-pill" in my opinion.

500mg Valproate Semisod. @ Morning
1gr. Valproate Semisod. @ Night
250mg Keppra IR @ Morning
250mg Keppra IR @ Night
100mg Noopept Daily, cycled weekly.
800mg Vitamin E
1mg Melatonin.
200mg B6 along with alot of other B Vitamins and about 200-300mg of choline, at least every other day - B6 is daily however.
Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Gluconate

They REALLY need to make some good epilepsy drugs, its kind of a middle finger... I mean barbituates have been reccomended to me, and my doctors like "oh yeah, by the way side effects are bone rot, liver failure, you know the usual epilepsy medications stuff" Great. Keppra is "alright" and all I can say is that. It works for what it was designed with less side effects than GABA-ergics like depakote or depakene.

I could care less about epilepsy, unless they are my seizures where I break teeth or bones. I feel for those around me who see it, I've died before - covered several areas in massive pools of blood - lovely stuff, theres no wonder they thought epileptics were demonically possessed.

#9 Adaptogen

• 772 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 01:38 AM

have you considered a ketogenic diet to help manage your epilepsy?

http://www.nytimes.c...wanted=all&_r=0

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 John Hess

• 7 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

Keppra is sedating, it is a downer, and it should be taken at bedtime. I have seen Keppra, levetiracetam, prescribed as a mood stabilizer for bipolar depression--it makes these patients less depressed because it allows them to sleep. It also relives anxiety.

I have taken Keppra, and It does not seem to have any negative effect at all on my cognition and memory. If anything it seems to improve my cognition and memory. If you are taking it for seizures I guess you might need to take it during the day, but I have heard of once daily dosing to seizures as well.

Nevertheless, some people get strange side effects from meds, but Keppra is probably the anti-seizure drug with the LEAST harmful/dangerous side effects.

Edited by John Hess, 04 July 2016 - 10:05 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: psychosis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users