• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * - 10 votes

Iodine is magical miracle - most underrated supplement!

iodine miracle magic

• Please log in to reply
274 replies to this topic

#151 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:55 PM

"The bromine detox assertion just doesn't hold water when coupled with the - high dose iodine based on japanese sea vegetable consumption theory. (also high in bromine and most likely miscalculated on wet versus dry weight putting the iodine level back down to max 1mg with a bit less bromine)"

I suspect (but can't prove) that taking them at the same time helps somehow. I would have to dig deeper to see if they have high urinary clearance of both Iodine and Bromine. It will probably be found (no study, just a guess on my part) that many Japanese will start to have rising levels of cancer (though it hasn't been proven as a cause effect relationship) since they will be getting the Bromine from the kelp and all the other "modern" sources we have. Not just foods BTW. and of course, they still get cancer, so having Iodine isn't proof against it...

People that do salt flushes should realize that they are likely just flushing out excess iodine. There seems to be quite a bit of misleading info on Curezone, and many many people using thyroid hormones (still or newly?) on the iodine forums. I'm concerned that some have harmed their thyroids through iodine overdose.

So, how do you explain that I can now take 200mg (without sea salt) and not have the symptoms if it was purely iodine overdose where as at 37.5mg I did have symptoms and needed the sea salt to relieve them. I am no more hypothyroid than I was before I started thyroid hormones. It was just another experiment to me. No where's near life critical levels of hypo.

I'd like to reply to the text of both users...

Seaweed is high in bromide also, and possibly high in other stuff we don't want in our bodies. But iodine, in higher dosages works as a slight diuretic, so the bromide should be a bit less of a problem. However, I would never recommend iodine from biological sources because of contamination with, like you said, bromide and other stuff, and the variability of iodine per portion.

Salt loading is proven to increase bromide excretion a LOT. See links in my previous posts, i.e. the military links. How can we know if the acne is a side effect from bromide, or iodide? You don't know, as much as I don't know. We'd need studies with a big enough population, and urinary samples...

I am sure a lot of people have harmed their thyroids with iodine alone. That is, not only with high dose iodine, but low dose too. As long as iodine is being supplemented (no matter if in mcg or mg dosages) without selenium, a part of the population will develop autoimmune thyroid illness. Thats a fact, in any country where iodine and selenium are deficient and iodine has been introduced to prevent goiter and retardation. Thing is, you can't add selenium to food as you would iodine, because it's dosage window is small, and you can't control how much people eat. This problem tends to get worse with older people, since their antioxidant protection is worse, too.

Can you harm a healthy thyroid with iodine too, if you supplement with selenium? Evidence seems to say its more unlikely. Even with high dosages, since the thyroid will block itself from iodine, if the dosage is high enough. Within reason, of course. I am sure at some dosage, any substance can harm the thyroid.

Why 200mg do not show symptoms while 37,5mg do? Well maybe it is because at some point the body changes the way it metabolizes iodine or steps up its excretion rate of iodine with time or more then proportionally with increasing dosage (within limits). I am not saying that this is the explanation, I am just saying it is just as possible as the other one. 200mg is a lot, though (if you are not talking about potassium iodide). And let me remind you, that not even the doc's promoting high dose iodine go that high.

#152 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 12:39 AM

I'm sorry you missed some things when you read my posts.

This was a thread about the value of iodine, not a users guide. There was a previous post that linked to essentially a user guide that covers just the bases you are concerned about.

I mentioned it two places about taking Companion Nutrients. Those includes Vitamin C, selenium, magnesium and sea salt. I take 4 grams of timed release C in divided doses.

I mentioned how I took Lugol's as high as 100mg in 12 oz of water over several hours. Undiluted, Lugol's would indeed be dangerous. Since it's Lugol's, a 100mg dose would have about 33mg of elemental iodine. At a total dose of 300mg/day, about 100mg of elemental iodine over the course of a day, not all at once and always diluted and always with the above mentioned companion nutrients.

For treating cancer, it is mentioned on several web sites that (done properly with all the precautions) that 50 to 300mg per day is not a problem.

For those that are interested, I do recommend that you look up iodine protocol to find the safe and correct methods of using iodine. (I mentioned that in a previous post as well...)

Ok? Hope that helps.

Ken

Just because it's being mentioned on some websites that 300mg a day are safe does not make it so. Do you have reliable sources that this is the case? Heck, I could make a website within 5 minutes stating that 1g cyanide is safe. Dosen't make it safe, though.

Remember, the leading doctors for orthoiodosupplementation do NOT recommend more then 50mg, and only in special cases 100mg of total iodine per day in form of lugols / iodoral. I know of one doctor who recommends 150mg of iodine a day, split in 5-6 doses a day. But that's it.
If you have reliable sources for the dosages you talk about, please post them.

A dosage of 2000-3000mg of elemental iodine is deadly. Thats 40-60ml of 5% lugols. Sure, your dosage is lower, but thats not the point. The point is that long before that the body will have to fight against huge oxidation damage. Also, older adults will have a smaller antioxidant defense, which means that deadly dosages will be lower, and irreversible harmful dosages also. This has been known for centuries, and a lot of people tried to commit suicide this way. This also means that people undergoing chemotherapy, where they have very low antioxidant levels, will be especially in danger from high dosages of lugols in it's normal form.

The only way to make sure to prevent oxidative damage before it happens is if you add some antioxidant to lugols before you drink it.

I'd rather go overboard with my warnings, then the other way. Certainly less harm will happen that way. I hope you understand.

Please don't forget that the yahoo iodine group is very biased in favor of iodine. I started to ask for proof for many claims made there. Let me tell you, they did not like it. Curezone, also, is no good source for information about iodine. In fact, few people really know about iodine there at all, other then reposting what others have said which is a mix of incorrect statements and the standard protocol for iodine you talked about (which is not wrong, as far as I can tell).

In fact, when people talk about iodine, they seem to know only two extremes:
the ones that say "iodine is toxic above 150mcg",
and the ones that say "10mg? no problem. 100mg? no problem. Above that? I dont know but I am sure, NO PROBLEM!".

Both are wrong, and the last one is potentially dangerous because there is always someone who thinks he can go a bit higher. The tendency for iodine dosage without scientific background and/or backing of the doctors seems to go up each year... not good.
  • like x 3

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#153 SGKen

• 28 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

Haven't got this quoting thing down yet so I'll do it manually...

Salt loading is proven to increase bromide excretion a LOT. See links in my previous posts, i.e. the military links. How can we know if the acne is a side effect from bromide, or iodide? You don't know, as much as I don't know. We'd need studies with a big enough population, and urinary samples...

Could you repost those links, I don't recall seeing them.

Here again are the links to the toxicity of the various halogens:

http://iodineresearc...en_halogen.html

So we definitely want them out of there.

"I am sure a lot of people have harmed their thyroids with iodine alone. That is, not only with high dose iodine, but low dose too. As long as iodine is being supplemented (no matter if in mcg or mg dosages) without selenium, a part of the population will develop autoimmune thyroid illness. Thats a fact, in any country where iodine and selenium are deficient and iodine has been introduced to prevent goiter and retardation. Thing is, you can't add selenium to food as you would iodine, because it's dosage window is small, and you can't control how much people eat.
Can you harm a healthy thyroid with iodine too, if you supplement with selenium? Evidence seems to say its more unlikely. Even with high dosages, since the thyroid will block itself from iodine, if the dosage is high enough. Within reason, of course. I am sure at some dosage, any substance can harm the thyroid."

Agreed. Proper selenium is a very important key to using iodine. As I recall, it works both ways, having adequate selenium without enough iodine (in the ug range) can also cause damage. The upper tolerable limit for selenium is only around 800ug. That usually means there is some wiggle room above that but that amount won't harm the vast majority of the population and is still significantly higher than the RDA and what folks usually get from their diet. Most of us are taking 200ug and when I add in the NAC I take, I'm closer to 300ug

Ken

#154 SGKen

• 28 posts

Posted 14 December 2013 - 07:18 AM

Just because it's being mentioned on some websites that 300mg a day are safe does not make it so. Do you have reliable sources that this is the case? Heck, I could make a website within 5 minutes stating that 1g cyanide is safe. Doesn't make it safe, though.

Agreed. But, you would find people dying from the cyanide and the authorities would likely do something about that in short order. Look what they did with Ephedra (though it took a while)

I don't think you would take anything I would post as sufficient evidence but I'll give it a wimpy try though.

We know from these links:

http://iodineresearc...en_halogen.html

bromine, fluoride and related items are doing damage. Iodine will help with that whether Lugol's or straight potassium iodide. We have many many sources of both and you can add perchlorate (rocket fuel) contamination to the list as well.

As kind of negative proof, I can't find any evidence of death or serious illnesses by iodine, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, it just means that it's flying under the radar if it has occurred. I could, however, likely compile in short order a large list of medical drugs that have caused death and disability that we still prescribe. Are they safe?

The next bit is the Material Safety Data Sheet AKA MSDS. I looked up about 15 of them on Lugol's. Many of them had no LD50 listed at all. Those that did have had an LD50 of 14000mg for the Iodine portion. Here is a part of the LJCrows MSDS:

Iodine: ORAL (LD50): Acute: 14000 mg/kg [Rat]. 22000 mg/kg [Mouse]. Potassium Iodide LD50: Not available. LC50: Not available.

By comparison, table salt is about 3000mg/kg, sodium fluoride 52mg/kg, caffiene 192mg/kg all taken from here:

https://en.wikipedia...ian_lethal_dose

Even water is listed in that table!

Potassium bromate, put in our bread and flour, LD50 321mg/kg. According to the baking industry, as long as it is baked properly, there should be less than 20ppb when it is done. If you're baking at home, good luck with that one.

Of course, the LD50 isn't the same as saying it won't cause harm, it just shows how much it will take to kill half the population of mice or rats but I think there is some value in seeing the ranges involved.

Remember, the leading doctors for orthoiodosupplementation do NOT recommend more then 50mg, and only in special cases 100mg of total iodine per day in form of lugols / iodoral. I know of one doctor who recommends 150mg of iodine a day, split in 5-6 doses a day. But that's it.
If you have reliable sources for the dosages you talk about, please post them.

Due to our increasing environmental loads of toxic halogens and heavy metals, I lean toward a daily dose of 50-100mg.

Again, I don't expect you to think these are reliable but here goes:

http://drsircus.com/.../iodine-dosages

"When I was coming to closure on this chapter I happened to talk to Dr. Brownstein. We were in total agreement about dosages. Our consensus extended to the proposition that the sicker the patient the more iodine they would need with most average patients needing 25 to 50 mgs with 12 mg being a good maintenance dose though of course this varies with the quality of ones diet and with ones location. Living near the beach has its health advantages but in no case should one depend on iodized salt for their needs.

Dr. Brownstein said he was using 200 to 300 mg with his prostate and breast cancer patients with those who have metastases needing the highest dosages. He also uses both Lugol’s and Nascent reserving the Nascent for his more sensitive patients. The there are the tablet form of varying dosage, which are used by more than several of the iodine doctors I know.
."

Remember I was personally concerned about prostate cancer. I only hit 300mg only twice. Looking at my journal, I would bounce between 100, 150 and 200mg over a period of several months.

http://drsircus.com/...e-dosages#_edn2

"When treating life threatening diseases we do not have months to fool around with low dosages. We need to zoom up iodine levels quickly. And we need to get it concentrated to certain tissues or organs. Just to give you an idea of how high iodine dosages have been taken to we have to revisit the 1930s when iodine was still a universal medicine, present in the US Pharmacopeia and was used at much higher dosages than anyone even dreams of using today.
The usual dose for treatment was 300 mgs (46 drops of full strength Lugol’s) to 1 gm (1000 mg, 154 drops). It is very important to realize that today’s Lugol’s is not universally the same as it was because of new federal legal requirements about concentration levels. The best company offers Lugol’s at varying concentration levels. (2.2, 3 and 7 percent) Nascent is a 2 percent solution."

They apparently have loosened up a bit, I am aware (and have purchased at various times) 2.2%, 5% (what I use internally, easy to count drops) and 7%.
There is also some 15% (15% IodiNe, 30% IodiDe=45% total iodine) available as well from out of the US. That would be strong stuff!!!! Wear the chemical gloves and eye protection!

This is a good history with references from the Iodine Doc, Abraham. A good if bit lengthy read.

http://www.optimox.c...-05/IOD_05.html

I'm not finding many other references that aren't repeats of those.

I'd rather go overboard with my warnings, then the other way. Certainly less harm will happen that way. I hope you understand.

I understand.

Please don't forget that the yahoo iodine group is very biased in favor of iodine. I started to ask for proof for many claims made there. Let me tell you, they did not like it. Curezone, also, is no good source for information about iodine. In fact, few people really know about iodine there at all, other then reposting what others have said which is a mix of incorrect statements and the standard protocol for iodine you talked about (which is not wrong, as far as I can tell).

Of course they are very biased! Again, the closest thing to proof in those groups is that many folks (not all) are getting better in some way or another. When they have problems, they talk about them. It's all out in the open. Of course, the majority are all the folks who are watching and doing (or not) and not saying anything. It's not perfect but if it were that harmful, people would talk about it. It would bubble up (or shoot up) to the surface. Most of the arguments are from folks who are being theoretical and have not tried it. Those who have been careful and tried it may hit some bumps but work through them. Some have been on it for many many years. I did some digging last night and apparently I started back in June of 2010 at 12.5mg Iodoral. A year later I started to mix in some Lugol's so I've been at it a while as well. If it was really that dangerous (in spite of the precautions), I really think we would know about it and it would be banned like Ephedra.

In fact, when people talk about iodine, they seem to know only two extremes:
the ones that say "iodine is toxic above 150mcg",
and the ones that say "10mg? no problem. 100mg? no problem. Above that? I dont know but I am sure, NO PROBLEM!".

Look again at how high the doses were in the 1930s, as high as a gram of Lugol's!!! That's 333mg elemental Iodine! That scares me! They were considered safe at that time with taking adequate precautions and I'm not sure we know what those were. Now we have a lot of toxic heavy metal and halogen build up and so one needs to take it slow lest the release of those things could be dangerous from sudden large amounts of Lugol's or KI.

Just for fun, here are links to research on what and how we know about where iodine goes in the whole body (pointing toward the need for whole body sufficiency):

http://iodineresearc.../wholebody.html

As a side effect of my iodine levels, I ran into a mention that CT scans and certain X-Rays won't work as well since I likely have whole body sufficiency and everything will light up :|?

Hope you appreciate the several hours of research and thought that went into this post :)

You know, I really always mean to have a short reply, apparently I'm not good at it.

Ken
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#155 markymark

• 188 posts
  • NO

Posted 14 December 2013 - 09:50 AM

Hi Ken,
I indeed appreciate the dilligence and time you put into this post. While reading it, at so many points I thought to myself: "He reads my mind :-)"
best
MM

#156 niner

• 16,276 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

Look again at how high the doses were in the 1930s, as high as a gram of Lugol's!!! That's 333mg elemental Iodine! That scares me! They were considered safe at that time with taking adequate precautions and I'm not sure we know what those were. Now we have a lot of toxic heavy metal and halogen build up and so one needs to take it slow lest the release of those things could be dangerous from sudden large amounts of Lugol's or KI.

Do we really have more toxic heavy metal and halogen build up today than in the 30's? Back then, people were taking bromide sedatives pretty heavily- It was the highest volume drug other than aspirin. In those days, heavy metal toxicity wasn't as well understood, and it was pretty easy to get exposed to toxic heavy metals. Lead was used in gasoline then, but was phased out starting in the mid 70's. Leaded paint was also outlawed in 1978. Bromide sedatives were also taken off the market in the mid 70's. We have some new sources of bromine today- brominated vegetable oils in certain soft drinks, and brominated flame retardants. The average body burden of lead is probably lower today than it's been in a long time. Hard to say about bromine; it would be dependent on soda drinking habits, mostly. I suspect flame retardants are a smaller source. It's certainly the case, however that there were people with high body burdens of both lead and bromine in the 1930's.

BTW, the LD50 for iodine was reported as 14 grams/kg for rat. That's really hard to fathom- I checked it, though, and that seems to be the number on an MSDS from what I think is a legit site. (Fischer Scientific) I just have a very hard time believing that you could translate that to humans- meaning that half the adults who ate about two pounds of pure I2 would NOT die! Other sources suggest the human LD50 is quite a bit lower, by perhaps a factor of 500.

Edited by niner, 16 December 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#157 Sharkman

• 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm willing to try this out, I'm not getting much Iodine in my diet, and I don't think I ever have.

I've got some 7% lugol's Iodine in my cupboard. It says not to inhale it. Is it safe to take internally though?

Edited by Sharkman, 16 December 2013 - 12:16 PM.

#158 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

I too think that lead and bromide exposure, amongst other heavy metals should be on the decline (I am not sure though how increasing smog from vehicles / coal plants etc contributes to this?).

However, iodine intake, which abraham and others propose does increase the excretion of halides and heavy metals is also on the decline. So is salt use after decades of warnings against salting too much - and in the case of bromide, it makes a huge difference.

So while exposure might be less, the ability to excrete these elements is most likely inhibited too. Which makes all substances that have a long half life much more dangerous.

Another source saying that iodine intake decreased over the decades(Iceland):
http://www.foodandnu.../view/1925/2285
I assume this does not include iodine intake from drugs, and only starting 1988 there were urine tests. A 3,8fold decrease in iodine intake.

Niner, did you read my post #149 ?

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16679319

This study is interesting. It talks about direct influence of I2 on breast cancer cells. And it does it basically by oxidative damage(Just like most chemo therapies work). This can be seen because of depletion of Thiol content, I suppose they mean glutathione depletion - yet they talk about antioxidative effects of iodine. Then they go on and say that the effects of I2 can be negated through NAC restoring thiol levels. If they weren't talking about antioxidative effects of iodine, this would make sense. Actually, this confuses me a bit.

It also makes me wonder if c60 would interfere with it's anti cancer effect.

"Iodine can react with double bonds on lipids such as polyunsaturated fatty acids rendering them
less reactive to ROS"

Which would make iodine a lipid protecting. Could iodine actually make cell membranes more stable against ROS exposure in general?

Also, this could explain how bromide and fluoride can integrate into the cells and disturbing it's function?

So it would in fact not be a question of iodine receptors, but of iodine and similar structured atoms being able to become part of the cells lipids.

Maybe it works this way(trying to understand http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16679319 better):
Iodine works better in cells with an higher iodine uptake (thyroid, breast, prostate...) via the sodium iodide symporter pathway
once in the cell, iodine as an oxidant, depletes glutathione levels
once glutathione (and other electron donor) levels are depleted, additional iodine induces apoptosis in those cells.
it seems to be selective though, causing apoptosis only in cancer cells(why?).
once iodine has been transformed to iodide, it is itself ready to act as an antioxidant
and iodine in healthy cells can make lipids more stable to ros damage, having an antioxidant effect

Now what if instead of iodine, bromide enters the cell? Atoms with a similar electron count can use the iodide symporter pathway as well(bromide, bromate, chloride, etc...). This pathway is so effective though, that iodide content within the cell can be up to 30-40x as high as in the bloodstream. I assume, this would be true for bromide then as well. I also assume, that a cell could have both bromide and iodide or similar, until it is full. Unfortunately, it seems like this pathway is more effective for bromide or perchlorate (in this case 30 times higher) then for iodide. It is because of that that Abraham proposed that higher dosages of iodine are necessary to get into the cell. (Source for most: http://de.wikipedia....Iodid-Symporter unfortunately in german)

Anyways... Now what if instead of iodine some other similar substance enters the cell? It might not only not have the same properties, but may have other unwanted effects as well.

I wonder if high enough exposure of the thyroid to iodide would actually lower oxidative stress of thyroid hormone production.
If that were the case, then the created iodine should induce apoptosis or make the cells more stable as well.
It could also explain, at least in part, why high dosages might be good in people with hashimotos, while low dosages are the opposite - low doses only increase oxidative stress due to more production of t4, while high doses also have high enough antioxidant power to keep oxidative stress from the thyroid, and might induce apoptosis in damaged cells, both of which could lower the auto immune response.

I'm willing to try this out, I'm not getting much Iodine in my diet, and I don't think I ever have.

I've got some 7% lugol's Iodine in my cupboard. It says not to inhale it. Is it safe to take internally though?

You should always dilute it in water. Now all you need to do is to calculate the appropriate dosage.
If 1 drop of lugols 5% is about 6,25mg, then 1 drop of 7% is 6,25/5*7=8,75 if I got the math right.
But please don't forget selenium, 200-400mcg.

Edited by BioFreak, 16 December 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#159 Sharkman

• 10 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:23 PM

My Multi contains 100µg selenium, a few Brazil Nuts as well as this should suffice?

You should always dilute it in water. Now all you need to do is to calculate the appropriate dosage.
If 1 drop of lugols 5% is about 6,25mg, then 1 drop of 7% is 6,25/5*7=8,75 if I got the math right.
But please don't forget selenium, 200-400mcg.

Edited by Sharkman, 16 December 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#160 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

bromine, fluoride and related items are doing damage. Iodine will help with that whether Lugol's or straight potassium iodide. We have many many sources of both and you can add perchlorate (rocket fuel) contamination to the list as well.

I never said they aren't. ;)

As kind of negative proof, I can't find any evidence of death or serious illnesses by iodine, that doesn't mean it hasn't happened, it just means that it's flying under the radar if it has occurred. I could, however, likely compile in short order a large list of medical drugs that have caused death and disability that we still prescribe.

Quick google search:
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/15796735
There are many more, if you digg deep enough. Iodine, as lugols for example was popular at some time to commit suicide.

Listen, you seem to missunderstand me. Every substance at some point is harmful. I am not against iodine in mg dosages, but for everything there is a limit. And when your only evidence for lugols at 300mg is a doctor that heard from another doctor that he seemed to use that dosage in cancer patients, then this is not only no evidence, it is also completely beside the point. If you have cancer, you certainly have another tolerance level for side effects, because the only other choice would be death. In those cases, higher doses might be used but you can be certain that Dr.Brownstein does not simply prescribe them dosages this high, but also closely monitors them during treatment because it's getting more dangerous. Also, iodine for for cancer is being used with a timeframe of months to years, I can not see how every now and then taking high dosage would make sense from this perspective. I can only assume that constant high dosages need to be given, as is the case for cystic fibrosis (but those dosages are lower, normally.

The next bit is the Material Safety Data Sheet AKA MSDS. I looked up about 15 of them on Lugol's. Many of them had no LD50 listed at all. Those that did have had an LD50 of 14000mg for the Iodine portion. Here is a part of the LJCrows MSDS:

Iodine: ORAL (LD50): Acute: 14000 mg/kg [Rat]. 22000 mg/kg [Mouse]. Potassium Iodide LD50: Not available. LC50: Not available.

By comparison, table salt is about 3000mg/kg, sodium fluoride 52mg/kg, caffiene 192mg/kg all taken from here:

https://en.wikipedia...ian_lethal_dose

Even water is listed in that table!

It is highly unlikely that this number is right. Iodine is highly reactive, while table salt is not. I am pretty certain that this is an error.

Due to our increasing environmental loads of toxic halogens and heavy metals, I lean toward a daily dose of 50-100mg.

Do you have evidence of what actually increases, and what decreases? I haven't looked much into this yet. But I know that bromide sources in medicine and nutrition are on the decline, and do not increase(USA and other countries where bromide in food is not banned yet may be an exception). Same is the case for many other toxins that intoxicated the population years ago, that is why there are now laws in place that regulate this stuff. I'm not trying to be a critic here. Its just that everyone is fast to say this"because I heard it somehwere", while few actually know what is happening.
So if you have the time, why don't you do some digging (on pubmed or government sites) and provide some links? I'd be interested in some facts no matter what direction they take, cause like I said, I haven't looked into it much yet.

As for the iodine dosage, I must say that this may be highly individual, but I am right now on 100mg, and feel better on it then on lower dosages.

When treating life threatening diseases we do not have months to fool around with low dosages. We need to zoom up iodine levels quickly. And we need to get it concentrated to certain tissues or organs. Just to give you an idea of how high iodine dosages have been taken to we have to revisit the 1930s when iodine was still a universal medicine, present in the US Pharmacopeia and was used at much higher dosages than anyone even dreams of using today.
The usual dose for treatment was 300 mgs (46 drops of full strength Lugol’s) to 1 gm (1000 mg, 154 drops). It is very important to realize that today’s Lugol’s is not universally the same as it was because of new federal legal requirements about concentration levels. The best company offers Lugol’s at varying concentration levels. (2.2, 3 and 7 percent) Nascent is a 2 percent solution."

We have only this doctors word for those historic dosages. If he found papers stating that, then we should too. I did'nt, yet. I can tell you that I have only found dosages this high and higher for potassium iodide, but NOT for lugols. Again, if you want, digg on pubmed (instead of citing someone who is citing someone) and search for proof. I am not challenging you, but I'd be happy to see proof, if you find it. Believe me, if you play around with search terms on pubmed, you will find more studies, esp from the early 20th century, in full text, then you would think. If lugols was used historically in those high dosages regularly (! meaning toxic effects were low enough that it was common - I am sure that lugols has been tested in even higher dosages on humans, but that does not mean that those dosages were then used as regular treatments... And if something was not used regularly, you can be pretty sure it was because at those dosages, the sideeffects were too problematic), you should be able to find papers from that time on pubmed. Look at my earlier posts for urls leading to pubmed from that time, and see if you can find keywords you can use to narrow down the search.

Of course they are very biased! Again, the closest thing to proof in those groups is that many folks (not all) are getting better in some way or another. When they have problems, they talk about them. It's all out in the open. Of course, the majority are all the folks who are watching and doing (or not) and not saying anything. It's not perfect but if it were that harmful, people would talk about it. It would bubble up (or shoot up) to the surface. Most of the arguments are from folks who are being theoretical and have not tried it. Those who have been careful and tried it may hit some bumps but work through them. Some have been on it for many many years. I did some digging last night and apparently I started back in June of 2010 at 12.5mg Iodoral. A year later I started to mix in some Lugol's so I've been at it a while as well. If it was really that dangerous (in spite of the precautions), I really think we would know about it and it would be banned like Ephedra.

Again, you keep kicking me into the "iodine is dangerous above the 150mcg mark" corner...
I've been on up to 150mg of iodine, I also started in 2010, and I recently started again with 100mg max dosage. I am just saying that higher dosages are not the standard, should not be tried unless under supervision of a doctor that knows what he's doing, and probably only if you have confirmed (pre-)cancer. There is no other reason for dosages this high. But the risk WILL increase at some point.

Source? Please don't cite a Dr who says he has read that it was used. Cite sources that he could have seen to get to that conclusion instead (pubmed search!).

See, to be honest, I would wish you were right. But only citing a doctor is not good enough, especially when the evidence should be on pubmed as well. So the only thing we can say at this point that is a 100% sure is: "We've read that people say its XY, but we haven't seen the sources of their claims". This is simply not good enough for me. This is what most people on the internet repeat over and over again, half truths, or information, of which they don't even know the background. This is especially the case for iodine, and it scares me. How do you know that this endless repeating of statements without sources is being correctly repeated by those people? We need facts, and I think this forum is the right place to finally get them straight.

Also just repeating iodine propaganda (from whatever view) does get us nowhere...

I remember how pissed the owner of the iodine group was when I repeated my questions over and over, because she didn't have the sources back then to back up her claims but wanted to be right.
She said things like some dr took iodine, and he died with 90, and put this as evidence that he lived 90 years, while there is simply nothing in that statement that could be of any evidence. Heck, I know people who lived to be 90 and were smoking all the time. Are cigarettes now the new longevity drug? Neutral discussion of the subject was impossible. But here its different, I would say the view is mostly neutral.

So please, go on, digg around in pubmed, find evidence, and post it, just like I did. :) And then we'll discuss the evidence.

My Multi contains 100µg selenium, a few Brazil Nuts as well as this should suffice?

In theory, but I would rather take another selenium supplement because selenium content can vary and you never know how much you actually get. Selenium has a small therapeutic window, which means that
either under or overdosing might be possible with natural sources and you don't want either.
  • like x 1

#161 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 06:29 PM

Did I post this site about iodine toxicity?

Elemental iodine toxicity

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/search/a?dbs+hsdb:@term+@DOCNO+34

"A review of medical records from the New York City Medical Examiners Office revealed that, in a period of 6 years, there were 18 ... suicides in which adults ingested iodine tinctures. Tinctures of iodine contain a mixture of molecular iodine (I2) and sodium triiodide (NaI3) and have iodine concentrations of approximately 40 mg/mL. Doses of iodine from ingestion of the tinctures ranged from 1,200 to 9,500 mg (17 to 120 mg/kg), and deaths usually occurred within 48 hours of the dose. ... Symptoms of toxicity that have been observed in lethal or near-lethal poisonings have included abdominal cramps, bloody diarrhea and gastrointestinal ulceration, edema of the face and neck, pneumonitis, hemolytic anemia, metabolic acidosis, fatty degeneration of the liver, and renal failure.
[DHHS/ATSDR; Toxicological Profile for Iodine p. 39 (2004)] **PEER REVIEWED** "

So much lower then the LD50 posted before.

I'm now in my 5th day on 100mg iodine as lugols, and I again have skin problems that only go away if I salt load. I have not found one single reference saying that salt loading does also increase the excretion of iodine. All I found was that bromide competes with chloride, and the kidney prioritizes the excretion of bromide when saline loading. Anyways, I'm thinking about getting a bromide urine test, but since this is rare in germany I might have trouble finding a lab that does proper testing.

Interesting facts: I feel much better on iodine AND salt loading. I feel good on salt loading alone, but not nearly as much as with iodine. If I don't salt load however, the skin rashes get worse, and I get typical side effects listed for bromism. Interestingly the mental side effects I get are only listed for bromism, but NOT for iodism. Which makes the theory that its actually iodine causing this more unlikely. Above url has tons of references to side effects from iodism. I don't think it can get much more comprehensive then this.

Also, here is the counterpart for potassium iodide:
http://toxnet.nlm.ni...erm @DOCNO 5040

Interestingly, I did not find any suicide attempts or lethal dosages with potassium iodide on that site. I would say it is pretty certain now that potassium iodide is much safer and better tolerated in higher dosages then elemental iodine.

Edited by BioFreak, 17 December 2013 - 06:45 PM.

#162 riloal

• 91 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

BioFreak, what are the typical side effects of bromism, that you have experienced? Thanks

#163 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Skin irritation on face, neck and elbows, negative emotions, brain fog, and similar neurological problems. I assume that those side effects are much more apparent as long as bromide is in the blood, while the symptoms might be more subtle if there is more bromide in the cells, and less in the blood. Since iodine pushes bromide out of the cell into the bloodstream, severity of the symptoms should most likely increase, until it is excreted. I'd advise salt loading if this is the case.

#164 riloal

• 91 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

Hi, I want to ask is it true that when you are on iodine supplementation your TSH goes up and your Free T3 and T4 goes down, so a lab test would be useful to see if iodine it,s working?

What would you recommend apart from iodine and cofactors, to support your thyroid? L-tyrosine? Any thyroid glandular without hormones inside? Thanks

#165 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

TSH should go up, but go back to normal eventually, while ft3 and ft4 should improve (decrease if you have too much, increase if you don't have enough). In many people this alone does not seem to be enough, so they take thyroid hormones in addition, but they seem to need less then without iodine.

It seems to be very individual, based on what condition a person suffers from, and how high iodine dosage is. Around 30mg the thyroid seems to start blocking iodine, which could be useful for hashimotos. But the most important thing is always to get lab tests and not to rely on dosage recommendations, I guess, and take it from there, see how your body responds to different dosages(thyroid and wellbeing).

Normally tyrosine is not necessary, and higher chronic dosages can have a negative effect (depleting sulfur levels).

I just got my thyroid lab test back:
fT3 5,1 pmol/l (norm 3.1-6.8)
fT4 15,9pmol/l (norm 12-22)
Antibodies:
TRAK 0,41 IE/l (<1.58 = neg, >1.75 pos)
MAK 10 IU/ml norm <34

In short, everything is fine. Maybe I'd like t3 to go higher, but I assume that my energy levels will improve more the longer I am on iodine, just like they did the last time I used it.

This was after 3 days on 12,5mg, and after that 5 days on 100mg iodine as lugols, mixed with vitamin c and 400mcg selenium. (keep in mind that I have used iodine around 2010 in 100mg dosages before, and that slowly increased dosage back then, not like I did today. I would advise anyone trying to slowly increase dosage and see what happens)

My hypothyroid symptoms have improved a LOT, and I think my neurological symptoms were also affected by my thyroid are better. It's just like in 2010, I get more energy, feel much better in general and am much happier (bottle is half full mentality, this is VERY important for me, together with increased energy) when on 100mg. In fact back then, I thought that I never felt that good in my entire life, and the whole summer it was the same feeling. A lot of areas improved, more then I listed here.

The question then, is why I stopped back then. I guess it was because of the fear of side effects (it's still controversial) and lack of knowledge at that time.
For one, evidence points to higher salt consumption actually being beneficial, and not dangerous, so I'm good with continuous salt loading within limits. And I definitely need that, because iodine or salt loading alone do not give me the benefits I get from using both.
Back then I did no lab tests, I was much more paranoid towards doctors. ;) So I always wondered, even though I felt great, if it would affect my thyroid negatively, meaning if I would induce an autoimmune disorder. After the lab tests, I must say, the antibodies are not even close to an autoimmune reaction, so I am more then fine.

And there is an ever increasing mountain of evidence for iodine in various areas (diabetes, cancer, detoxification, brain health, you name it) so I am definitely going to make high dose iodine supplementation with cofactors a permanent, important part of my supplementation.

I'm very satisfied. :)

Edited by BioFreak, 19 December 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#166 riloal

• 91 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:44 PM

BioFreak, are you on thyroid or NDT meds? What kind of hypothyroidism do you have? Do you have Hashimoto? When did you started iodine again after the summer of 2010? Your lab tests looks good? Are you able to lose weight? How are your temperatures? Thanks

#167 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

No Thyroid hormones. I guess only slight(?)(I Felt horrible, but I am also under a lot of stress right now, so hypothyroid might not be the only cause) hypothyroid without any autoimmune disease.
About 1-2 weeks ago I started again, with 6,25mg starting dose.
Lab tests, see last post.
So far my body weight is stagnant, but that is ok, I am not over or underweight.
I had a cold sensitivity, that is gone, I also had pretty fluctuating body temps, I would freeze, then sweat at night. It seems to be much more stable now.

Edited by BioFreak, 19 December 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#168 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:20 PM

Very good article about Hashimoto and high dose iodine:

http://perfecthealth...oiditis-part-i/

And part two is about selenium - can it prevent autoimmune disorders of the thyroid?
http://perfecthealth...oiditis-part-2/

This article also shows that selenium without iodine actually slows down thyroid function / lowers thyroid hormones. Actually only 50mcg did a pretty good job in shutting down the thyroid(10x less t4!), in a population also severely deficient in iodine.

Based on this data I would say that the study posted earlier about selenium leading to weight gain did so because the subjects were iodine deficient, and so selenium decreased their t4.

Edited by BioFreak, 19 December 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#169 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

http://books.google....rostate&f=false
This book is about the best I have seen on iodine. Even the short preview on google books has such an wealth of information...

For example it shows that niner was right - some cancer cells need iodine, not iodide for apoptosis, because they can not form iodine from iodide. The mammaly glands seem to not have the sodium iodide symporter, meaning they can not use iodide, but they still can use I². Even if iodide enters the cell, the cell would still have to convert it into iodine, before its antioxidant / cell stabilizing / anti cancer properties can be used.

Also I was wrong about iodides being the only form in nature. Seaweed seems also to contain I², IO3-(iodate), proteinpound iodine in addition to iodide ion.

Also the iodine intake in the japanese population in 97 was around 6mg a day, which is down from around 13mg in earlier studies (and just shows the same trend as iodine consumption around the world, in one word: declining).

Also, cells (not sure if all cells can do this) can form t3 from t4, t2 from t3, t1 from t2, and every time they do this, iodine is being released into the cell, ready for use.

The oxidized form of iodine(elemental iodine, or i²) binds to lipids, the membrane, or nuclear components and acts as an antioxidant or antiproliferative agent. Basically, it makes the components of the cell more stable against oxidation and inhibits cancer.

This book is awesome.I've learned a LOT from only 2 pages of it. If it just was a bit cheaper... (170,76€)

This new knowledge really got me exited.

edit: for iodines anti cancer effects, efficiency is reduced if it is mixed with an antioxidant such as vitamin c prior to drinking it, or if antioxidants are already present in the intestinal tract.

Also, I don't know if I already have posted this, but I saw a study where iodine had anti cancer effects, in combination with NAC however, these effects were non-existent(cell study only, if I remember it right). So iodine as an cancer cure would have to be taken without antioxidants(or much time between iodine and antioxidant supplements), and pretty much acts the same way as chemo therapies (but hopefully with fewer side effects and more efficiency, just guessing here).

Also, considering that the japanese have less breast cancer, and breast tissue needs iodine, not iodide, and considering that they get 5-13mg total iodine a day, that even in such "small" amounts, enough elemental iodine should make it into the blood stream and into the cell without being converted into iodide to have an cancer preventive effect, right?

Edited by BioFreak, 19 December 2013 - 06:12 PM.

#170 SGKen

• 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:28 PM

Some good stuff in your last several posts BioFreak.

I wouldn't take the tincture of Iodine to be the same as Lugol's or Iodoral though. I think it is more poisonous. Yup, I know an it's an opinion but it is never recommended except perhaps topically to raise Iodine levels by the Iodine Docs and other places.

Agreed that the LD50 has to be much less than 14G/kg. Not as low as "by perhaps a factor of 500" as Niner proposed as that would work out to 28mg. You would see the yahoo Iodine group disappear (because half of them kept dying!) and I would be a ghost writer!

I had previously run across the two pages you posted on Hashi's and Selenium. Good stuff.

Here are two more good ones. A bit technical and takes a while to get through but ignore what you don't understand and it will still make some sense. Like the post above this one, it also talks about the need for elemental Iodine, I2, though not in the dosages we are playing with. Also adds Iron to the mix of essential things to have with Iodine. It has references but they are broken and don't have the numbers in them. I was able to look up a couple the references directly by copy paste.

http://biolargo.com/...next-vitamin-d/
http://biolargo.com/...amin-d-part-ii/

I'll try to find the originals where everything works...

Ken

#171 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

I don't think I mentioned tincture of iodine? It's indeed a bad source of iodine because of the added ethanol, at least.

I tried to find the originals with a quick search, no luck though. Will read the articles soon, thanks for the links.

#172 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:36 PM

Agreed that the LD50 has to be much less than 14G/kg. Not as low as "by perhaps a factor of 500" as Niner proposed as that would work out to 28mg. You would see the yahoo Iodine group disappear (because half of them kept dying!) and I would be a ghost writer!

Do you mean 28mg/kg which would be 2240 mg for the average person. Are you saying there are individuals regularly taking more than 2.2 grams per dose?
  • like x 1
  • Ill informed x 1

#173 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:48 PM

Now I see where I mentioned tinctures of iodine. :-D

A review of medical records from the New York City Medical Examiners Office revealed that, in a period of 6 years, there were 18 ... suicides in which adults ingested iodine tinctures. Tinctures of iodine contain a mixture of molecular iodine (I2) and sodium triiodide (NaI3) and have iodine concentrations of approximately 40 mg/mL. Doses of iodine from ingestion of the tinctures ranged from 1,200 to 9,500 mg (17 to 120 mg/kg), and deaths usually occurred within 48 hours of the dose. ...

I quoted it. Anyways, the main difference is the added ethanol and sodium triiodide. The question is what the safety profile of NaI3 is? If it is better then that of elemental iodine(and my gut tells me it is, because if you split it you should have 3 iodides and 1 sodium atom, both harmless compared to elemental iodine ), then I would say we've found the lethal compound. I'm not sure but ethanol should not be lethal in those dosages, right?

Hebbeh, I would consider 2250mg elemental iodine a deadly or at least very harmful dose... 2010 most on the yahoo group were taking about 12,5-100mg (total iodine + iodide). Did that change?

I am sure SGKen meant the daily dose, not the dose per kg per day.

P.S.: Ghostwriters exist! Even without iodine overdose. :laugh:

Edited by BioFreak, 19 December 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#174 Hebbeh

• 1,661 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:03 PM

Hebbeh, I would consider 2250mg elemental iodine a deadly or at least very harmful dose... 2010 most on the yahoo group were taking about 12,5-100mg (total iodine + iodide). Did that change?

I am sure SGKen meant the daily dose, not the dose per kg per day.

But that certainly isn't what he said and there is a huge difference. He clearly indicated he was referring to LD50 in mg/kg and seemed to be indicating that reducing that number by a factor of 500 to 28 (mg/kg) was safe and common. Who would be the first to try this?
  • Pointless, Timewasting x 1

#175 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:10 PM

PLEASE nobody try this... :unsure:

I am sure he was just making a mistake. He stated previously that his maximum dose of total iodine/dide per day was 300mg, which would make his body weight around 10kg if he meant mg/kg.
SGKen, be more careful with units/measurements please, we don't want anyone to die because of a typo.

#176 SGKen

• 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yup, my mistake, 28mg/kg is right, 28mg total dose is wrong.

Sorry about that.

"Comprehensive Handbook of Iodine" - That book is pricey!!!!

Ken

I'm about 77Kg right now...

#177 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:21 PM

Yup, my mistake, 28mg/kg is right, 28mg total dose is wrong.

I think you mean it the other way around?

28mg/kg wrong, 28mg/day right

#178 SGKen

• 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:06 PM

From the MSDS above:

http://www.jcrows.com/msds5.pdf

14000mg/kg dose divided by 500 = 28mg/kg.

It says the same thing a little further down:

Special Remarks on Toxicity to Animals:
Lowest Published Lethal Dose: LDL [Human] - Route: Oral; Dose: 28 mg/kg
LCL [Rat] - Route: Inhalation; Dose: 137 ppm/1H
(Iodine)

Had to look up LCL:
LCLLethal concentration, low, lowest concentration of a gas or vapor capable of killing a specified species over a specified time.

Ken

#179 BioFreak

• 541 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:40 PM

SGKen, you said that if 28mg/kg would be deadly, you and most of the iodine group would be dead already. And that dividing the lethal dose by 500(therefore getting to 28mg/kg) would be too much and make no sense. But I think you don't understand what mg/kg means.

Mg/kg means milligrams per kg body weight.

If I talk about total iodine below, I mean iodine and potassium iodide together.

Let me calculate it for your weight:
if you are 77kg, your dosage per DAY would be 77kg*28mg= 2156mg elemental iodine per DAY for you (2,156 grams).
Since lugols is 33% iodine and 66% potassium iodide, you would have a daily dosage of 6533.33mg(6,53 grams), which would be 1005 drops of lugols a day (6,5mg per drop).

Clearly you did not mean that anyone, including you does either take 2156mg total iodine a day from lugols (331 drops), or 2156mg iodine alone, which would result in 6533,33mg total iodine from lugols. (anyone wants to calculate how much this actually is in ml liquid?)

The standard dose people take that is based on orthoiodosupplementation is 6,5-100mg a day, if we assume a standard 75kg person, this would be 0,084 - 1,29mg/kg. And only 1/3 of that, if we only count iodine.

You said you took a maximum of 300mg total iodine per day, so your maximum mg/kg would be 300mg/77kg = 3,896mg/kg total iodine. However, only 1/3 is elemental iodine, so you actually had only 1,285mg/kg elemental iodine per day.
So the assumed deadly dose of 28mg/kg would be 21,78 times higher then the maximum daily dose you ever took.

To me, 28mg/kg sounds entirely possible as a deadly dose. The true LD50 might be lower, though.

Edit: 5% Lugol's seems to have 130mg total iodine per ml liquid. So 6533,33mg would be aprox 50ml, or a small bottle.

Edited by BioFreak, 19 December 2013 - 09:55 PM.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for SUPPLEMENTS (in thread) to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#180 SGKen

• 28 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

BioFreak,

Hmm, I think you missed that I apologized for my error. It was a brain fart...

Corrected:

28mg/day is safe- and so is the Yahoo group (Whew!).

28mg/kg is the estimated LD50 for humans and not safe.

Thus my comment about the Yahoo group was also in error.

Ok?

Your calculations on my 300mg/day appear correct to me. (except that I trip over Europe's using the comma for what we call the decimal point that uses a period for things smaller than 1. :) )

In your example, My brain sees 3896 total iodine because we use a comma to separate every 3 digits for numbers bigger than 1.
I realize that you mean 3 milligrams and 90% of another milligram. Would you write 90% as .9 or ,9?

How we write big numbers (if we include the comma at all). It just helps break the number up so it's easier to identify it's scale.

Etc

Big and small together 10,000.456

How would you write that?

Ken

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iodine, miracle, magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users