Photo
* * * * * 6 votes

Supplements to keep skin looking young

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#91 npcomplete

• 44 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:37 AM

For the last few years my fingertips have been very dry and cracked. I am in my mid-sixties, and on the STAT4 gene I have the rs7574865-GT SNP according to 23andme, with an OR of 1.24 for "Limited Cutaneous Schleroderma", so I pay a lot of attention to "keeping skin looking young". I also have minor symptoms associated with the T risk allele (occasional hard dry patches of skin on hands) most of my life, not that visible but annoying (Sometimes I will go several months without symptoms). Fortunately I am heterozygotic with GT rather than homozygotic with TT at rs7574865.

After trying just about everything in this thread and other threads over the years (including ointments, lotions...), I tried 500-1000 mg of oral hyaluronic acid daily. I compared brands and found results consistent with what piet3r is reporting with Jarrow HA. I actually notice results in the (4 caps * 50mg) daily range, and by 16-20 caps my skin is clear during active flareup.

Some of the other brands at much higher doses (2-3 times higher) still didn't have the impact that Jarrow did (they advertise a lower average molecular weight HA). I usually notice a small improvement by the next day and by 3-7 days my symptoms are almost gone. It is about the same schedule for the symptoms to reappear after halting oral HA. I understand that different molecular weight HA versions are "advertised" as targeting different problems. For me the issue is skin and not arthritis, so low weight HA seems to be best.

Since HA is expensive, and ingesting large amounts raises other concerns, I decided to look into hyaluronidase inhibitors to try to modify the hyaluronan creation/destruction cycle. I wanted to use known inhibitors with citable research, and that also might be useful for other things in my case (minor allergies like hay fever)

Here is a thread discussing port-site metastasis of cancer following surgery:

http://www.longecity...plements/page-4
http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/11353970

I asked my dermatologist if oral HA was a risk, and he didn't seem too concerned... which concerns me! The doc then prescribed prescription topical HA. Topical HA wasn't nearly effective as oral HA in my case.

Hyaluronidase Inhibitor Supplements:

1.) Quercetin, 800 mg, BID loading dose, cut back to 1/day.
Since I also have allergies this addition might have other benefits.

2.) Horse Chestnut, 250 mg (22% Aescin) BID

3.) NAC, 600 mg

4.) Fucoidan, 300 mg (77% fucoidan), 1-2/day, usually 1
Some people on this site are using Triphala for hyaluronidase inhibition. I decided to try fucoidan.

--

After increasing the intake of the hyaluronidase inhibitors listed above, I was able to drastically reduce my intake of oral HA (75% reduction or more) to achieve similar effects, and save $$$ (20 caps of Jarrow HA per day works out to about $100/month at Swanson).

I also take other skin supplements, like collagen, Biosil, pomegranate, K2, etc., but HA is the only supplement with the "wow" factor for skin.

"ingesting large amounts raises other concerns"

What are these concerns?

There is a lot of conflicting information over the net.

http://www.denvernat...uronicacid.html

and a reply http://www.denvernat...ews/sardiHA.htm

actually, niner and ironfistx were talking about this in the thread I linked to above. Here is a link to niner's actual response:

http://www.longecity...ndpost&p=566342

The issue is that there continues to be discussion and concern... and published papers (as linked). I guess niner's comment does raise questions:

"It seems like a bad plan to take HA if you have a known cancer. The tricky part would be the case of the unknown cancer..."

So... given that HA is extremely effective in my case at higher doses (as described), similar to the reports from piet3r, I just wanted to experiment on getting similar effects by lowering the external oral HA and increasing hyaluronidase inhibitors, at lower cost. It worked. (Your Mileage May Vary)

I have been experimenting for about 1.5 years on an N=1 sample. So far, oral HA is extremely fast acting and effective at improving my skin (and friends not part of the N=1 study since I do not have their genetics after extreme prodding). The hyaluronidase inhibitors are not fast acting, in contrast to the fast acting direct HA supplementation.

The fast acting nature of HA is what first made me consider the hyaluronidase inhibitors. However... there remain concerns open to debate on HA, as illustrated in recent posts on this forum.

Obviously there are also concerns about all of the hyaluronidase inhibitors I take in my list. Perhaps one of the things that might be a next test would be to substitute luteolin for quercetin. Triphala for fucoidan might be a good switch too (some folks on this site take triphala, and it is cheaper!)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC2615542/

I guess I was just trying to save $$$, since HA is expensive and I take other things too.

Once I got into the longer term hyaluronidase inhibitor phase (about 2 months), I found I could save money and have better results than HA only - and *possibly* lower the overall risk profile. There are a lot of hyaluronidase inhibitors out there, so I focused on those that might bring added benefit to my particular case, in addition to their hyaluronidase inhibiting properties.

Thanks for the question. I am just learning from you folks on this forum!

• Informative x 3

#92 Alpharius

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:06 PM

Astaxanthin. :)

Cosmetic benefits of astaxanthin on humans subjects.

Tominaga K, Hongo N, Karato M, Yamashita E.

Acta Biochim Pol. 2012;59(1):43-7. Epub 2012 Mar 17.
PMID:22428137

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#93 limited

• 44 posts
  • NO

Posted 08 March 2015 - 09:13 PM

L methione will this have the same effect as msm ?

#94 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

I just got some copper peptides, it will probably be weeks or months before any results are seen.

#95 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

I have tested out a ton of supplements in this category due to my food allergies causing my skin to redden and inflame. By far, the best two, hands down, outperforming any collagen type 1,2,3 supplement or anything else like BioSil:

Jarrow Hyaluronic acid take on an empty stomach around 20 capsules a day, watch miracles start to happen in a few days
Life Extension Pomegranate capsules (don't get the full spectrum softgels, they don't work as well) take between 2-4 a day, WITH meals, it doesn't have nearly the same impact on an empty stomach.

These 2 products are relatively cheap, at least on places like iHerb anyway, so try it out, I'd be really surprised if it did absolutely nothing noticeable for you, in fact, I'd pay you whatever it cost you back, that's how certain I am, and how many years of experience I got with this category.

Cheers,

Hi Piet3r, 

What differences did you experience taking the Pomegranate capsules? Have you ever taken Astaxanthin at all?

Many thanks

#96 smithx

• 1,433 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hyaluronic acid could be pro-inflammatory, depending on the molecular weight. Here's a review article.

Based on what they're saying, it could be dangerous to supplement HA unless the molecular weight is known and is known to be one that's helpful rather than harmful:

http://www.ncbi.nlm....les/PMC3949149/

• like x 3

#97 Groundhog Day

• 94 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2015 - 05:52 PM

Carnosine

and I'm thinking of trying this highly reviewed topical cream:

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=Retin-A

#98 Mr.No

• 50 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 April 2015 - 10:17 PM

Niacinamide, Citric acid and vitamin C are good for topical application 

http://www.madhippie.com/b3.pdf

http://beverlyhills-...Niacinamide.pdf

http://onlinelibrary...008.00537.x/pdf

http://www.lef.org/m...tamin-C/Page-01

http://www.life-enha...a-hydroxy-acids

etc.

Edited by Mr.No, 04 April 2015 - 10:30 PM.

• like x 1

#99 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

So far the copper peptides are making me slightly itchy. I also notice a little redness on my face. I only use them every 2 or 3 days because of that. Its hard to say if its doing any good but I'll keep going as long as I don't get any really bad reaction.

#100 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 23 May 2015 - 03:45 PM

The Hyaluronic acid content in Collagen supplements is negligible. The dose is critical here.

The Type II collagen that I take is 10-13% hyaluronic acid. 

Here's a study on cancer that does not appear to have been posted before:

J Food Sci. 2014 Jul;79(7):T1469-75.

Seino S1, Takeshita F, Asari A, Masuda Y, Kunou M, Ochiya T.
Hyaluronan (HA), a type of glycosaminoglycan used to construct the extracellular matrix, is involved in the proliferation and motility of cells, including cancer cells. The aim of this study was to determine whether exogenous HA has an influence on cancer in vitro and in vivo. High-molecular-weight HA (900 kDa) and low-molecular-weight HA (10 kDa) were added to several types of cancer cell lines in vitro, and proliferation and invasion were assessed. The effect of HA on capillary formation by human umbilical vein endothelial cells was also analyzed. The results showed that both types of HA had no apparent effect on cellular proliferation, invasion, or capillary formation. In an animal study, the 2 types of HA were orally administered to tumor-bearing mice at a dosage of 200 mg/kg/d for 4 wk. Analysis using an in vivo imaging system revealed that tumor proliferation and metastasis were not greatly altered by HA administration. Furthermore, CD31 immunohistochemical staining revealed no obvious change in tumor microvessels. Taken together, these results demonstrate that exogenously administered HA has little effect on cancer. This study may support the safety of various forms of HA administration, including oral intake.
PRACTICAL APPLICATION:
Orally administered hyaluronan was recently found to have beneficial effects. However, the effect of exogenous hyaluronan on cancer remains unclear. Our findings support the safety of orally administered hyaluronan and its use as a functional food ingredient.
PMID: 24894153

• Good Point x 1

#101 adamh

• 1,033 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 06:46 PM

The copper peptides have done me no good at all. I'm using up the bottle just in a faint hope it may help a bit but seems to have done nothing after more than 2 months.

#102 LucidMind

• 49 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:05 AM

Anybody know if the copper in copper peptide based topical creams can get absorbed into your bloodstream? I am concerned about building up any excess copper levels in my body.

#103 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

DMAE

#104 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:48 PM

I will try out Piet3r 20 capsules daily of Jarrows Hyaluronic Hyabest capsules Ill keep you guys updated

DMAE

Topical form or oral?

#105 airplanepeanuts

• 352 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 09:01 PM

Idebenone is good for skin in my experience.

#106 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 June 2015 - 06:42 PM

I will try out Piet3r 20 capsules daily of Jarrows Hyaluronic Hyabest capsules Ill keep you guys updated

DMAE

Topical form or oral?

How did you get on with 20 cps a day?

#107 katrina

• 117 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 06:33 AM

Woo hoo do I feel marvy!  Last night someone told me that my skin looks like that of a 30 something year old.  And I am 52 and a total skincare junkie!  I slather on layers of products every day.

Anyways this one will shock you.  But I wash my face every day with extremely hot water and a buff puff.  Been doing this since my teens.  I always kid that I am sanding the wrinkles away.  But that top layer of skin contains lottsa damaged wrinkle prone skin and if you leave it there your skin becomes conditioned to stay that way.  Sort of like a creased cotton handkerchief that never gets ironed,

Last night another woman my age was telling someone else that you never use hot water on your face or scrub it,  And her face had more lines than a map.  Well, I corrected her,...

More proof...  Remember Joan Crawford in mommie dearest scrubbing her face every day with a brush?  She had beautiful skin,

But anyways, I also take grape seed extract every day for years,.  And for almost a year, cucurmin,  I think antioxidents in general do help.

Edited by katrina, 28 June 2015 - 06:34 AM.

• Ill informed x 2
  • like x 2

#108 Juicy

• 92 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 September 2015 - 01:28 AM

I have to agree.. I haven't tried Vitamin K2 MK4 + Pomegrenate Extract + Jarrow's Hyabest all together.

I did try Hyabest 20 caps ED and noticed some nice improvements!

I have tested out a ton of supplements in this category due to my food allergies causing my skin to redden and inflame. By far, the best two, hands down, outperforming any collagen type 1,2,3 supplement or anything else like BioSil:

Jarrow Hyaluronic acid take on an empty stomach around 20 capsules a day, watch miracles start to happen in a few days
Life Extension Pomegranate capsules (don't get the full spectrum softgels, they don't work as well) take between 2-4 a day, WITH meals, it doesn't have nearly the same impact on an empty stomach.

I'm glad to hear that it's working for you. Do you think that these would work miracles for someone with skin that wasn't red or inflamed? I used to have some chronic inflammation on my face, but it cleared up when I started using sunscreen every day. I think that if someone has normal healthy skin, and has no nutrient deficiencies or diseases, that they will not see a large effect from anything they can take in a pill. Topicals are a different story. (retinoids, alpha hydroxy acids, copper peptides, many others)

How the heck do I edit my thread title so I at least sound like a coherent person?

You have to get a mod to do it. I fixed it.

Yes I have since given it to several people who have no existing skin conditions with great results. Give it a shot. And I've tried liquid versions as well, due to the different molecular weight, but only capsules are effective. In fact, Swanson did nothing for me, but the Jarrow one just works. Keep in mind though I take between 10-30 caps a day, so I'd start with 20. Empty stomach.

Interesting. I'm curious what all do you notice? Just better looking skin? I wonder if you could add some details.

I used to take a collagen II supplement that included Hyaluronic acid. I never really noticed much. But, it sounds like you were taking a lot more than I was.

I stopped taking it because Dr Pickart says he avoids "Hyaluronic acid (hyaluronan) because it plays a critical role in the spread of cancer cells." More here and here. I'm not convinced he is correct.

The Hyaluronic acid content in Collagen supplements is negligible. The dose is critical here.

Also, I've read some news about hyaluronic acid with sugar was the reason why naked mole rats never get cancer. I'm not too worried about it for the moment. Just give it a try guys, this is as close to a guarantee you'll ever see in skin results. Very shiny smooth skin. Also around the eyes you'll notice less wrinkles due to extra moisture.

• like x 2

#109 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 December 2015 - 05:41 AM

Well I now have a bottle of 60 Jarrow HA capsules, I will take the lot of them over 6! days, will see if the 10 per day does anything

So what are the results? Did you see any plumping/hydration? 

#110 YOLF

Posted 30 December 2015 - 04:40 AM

I've tried this. I saw better results from Beta Alanine, Collagen, and Chondroitin. Ester-C and Acetyl Carnosine should work good too.

• like x 1

#111 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

Well I now have a bottle of 60 Jarrow HA capsules, I will take the lot of them over 6! days, will see if the 10 per day does anything

I was surprised when I looked in the mirror at one stage, it does seem to at least work for me but I think that taking so much HA constantly is a bad idea. worked for me 2nd day after 10 in the morning.

I dont have the time to go through and research enough to make an opinion on taking so much HA sups but if you could get a similar dose from eating natural products then it could only be good.

http://www.naturalhe...in-okinawa.html

#112 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

Why HA from food would be safer? After all it is derived from plants anyway... Also, why would full-face rejuvenation using HA fillers is considered to be safe...

This study shows that 10% of dietary hyaluronic acid migrates into the skin of rats. "No excessive accumulation was observed and more than 90% of the hyaluronic acid was excreted in expired air or urine."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4213400/

Also, another interesting opinion on that (http://www.denvernat...ews/sardiHA.htm):

Does hyaluronic acid promote or accelerate the spread of cancer? 

Bill Sardi, Knowledge of Health, Inc. 

For inexplicable reasons the first website listed by internet search engines for hyaluronic acid (HA) is a poorly founded opinion by a health writer that hyaluronic acid promotes cancer. This report has misled many people into mistakenly thinking oral hyaluronic acid, taken as a dietary supplement, may in some way promote cancer. Numerous times the author of that misleading report has been sent contrary studies, but has refused to remove the misleading information. So you will have to examine the topic for yourself. 

Hyaluronic acid is produced continually throughout life, more so when very young and during pregnancy, when cancer rates are almost nonexistent. Yet the opinion prevails that somehow, taking oral HA might cause cancer. 

For the naïve viewer of the medical literature, there are many reports indicating elevated levels of HA are associated with the spread of tumors, what is called invasion. Tumor cells can mobilize and spread (become metastatic) by using HA as a kind of biological “slide and slide.” However, taking oral HA supplements has little to do with this biological phenomenon. More HA shows up at tumor site because it is a healing agent. Anywhere there is a wound in your body, cells called fibroblasts make more HA. 

A recent study, conducted by researchers in Finland , investigated the role of hyaluronic acid in squamous cell carcinoma (oral cancer). “At the end of the follow-up (median 52 months) 43% of patients had died because of this type of cancer. A significant difference in overall survival and disease free survival was noticed between the patients with the different epithelial staining patterns for HA. The reduction of HA staining was associated with poor survival . These results suggest that HA is a prognostic marker in oral squamous cell carcinoma.” 

Notice the words “prognostic marker.” Since more HA is produced in tissues that are damaged by trauma, burns, toxic chemicals, or tumors, broken down (degraded) HA can be used to detect or measure the progression of tumors. This is akin to fire fighters who show up at fires. They are “associated with,” but not considered a cause, of the fires. The fire fighters are there to put the fire out, just like HA is attempting to heal the damaged tissue. 

The difference between cause and association is easily understood by the following example. Let's say investigators want to know the causes of childhood pedestrian accidents. They collect data from all cases where children were hit by automobiles and they find that nearly all of the children were wearing tennis shoes. So, can we conclude that tennis shoes caused the accidents? Obviously not. The tennis shoes are only by-standers. So is HA. 

Here is a study to examine. Finnish researchers noted that “hyaluronic acid is involved in the growth and progression of malignant tumors.” The researchers stated that “a high proportion of HA-positive cells of all cancer cells was significantly associated with deep tumor invasions, spreading to lymph nodes, and is associated with tumor progression and poor survival rate.” Sounds pretty terrible, to the uninformed reader, doesn't it? Notice the report says HA is “involved” and “associated,” but never indicates it was a cause of tumors or increased their severity. [Br J Cancer 79:1133-8, 1999] Hard paved roads are responsible for the severity of trauma when people are thrown out of cars in auto accidents, but we can't say the road caused the accident, can we? 

Recently a study examined the role of various components of the connective tissue (the goo in between living cells, like mortar in between bricks). Tumor tissue from 86 patients with breast cancer that had not spread to lymph nodes yet was examined by staining the tissues so each type of connective tissue component could be identified (versican, chondroitin sulfate, tenascin, and hyaluronan. Researchers at the Hanson Institute in Adelaide , Australia , said: “analyses indicated that elevated expression of versican predicted increased risk and rate of relapse in this cohort. Elevated expression of tenascin was predictive of increased risk and rate of death only…… neither chondroitin or hyaluronic acid were predictive of disease outcome in this group.” [Clinical Cancer Research 10: 2491-98, 2004]

Shown above are slides, at different magnification, revealing stained areas where HA concentration is high within tumor cells. In this study researchers have noted that “cancer patients with a scattered and weak HA staining had a significantly higher probability of recurrent disease and unfavorable outcome.” [Oral Oncology 40:257-63, 2004] 

If hyaluronic acid is a suspected cancer-causing agent, then why is it being used along with other molecules to treat cancer? Researchers in Italy indicate HA combined with other compounds are “promising” and responsible for the “arrest” of tumor cell growth. [Investigative New Drugs 22: 207-17, 2004] 

Hyaluronic acid is actually being used experimentally to treat cancer, with great effectiveness. One alternative medical practitioner notes HA, when added to other intravenous compounds, increases the effectiveness of cancer treatment. See report at: http://www.smartlife...2004_11_18.htm 

Here is another report, re-published intact (below), which indicates HA is a promising anti-cancer agent. While no company that makes oral HA supplements can make any claims that their products cure, prevent or even diagnose cancer, the citations listed herein should dispel poorly founded concerns that oral HA promotes cancer in any way.

I was surprised when I looked in the mirror at one stage, it does seem to at least work for me but I think that taking so much HA constantly is a bad idea. worked for me 2nd day after 10 in the morning.

I dont have the time to go through and research enough to make an opinion on taking so much HA sups but if you could get a similar dose from eating natural products then it could only be good.

• Good Point x 1

#113 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:54 PM

Hi thanks, will check out what you linked to.

I just would hope that HA from food would have other nutrients along with it that could buffer or compliment the HA in a way that would limit any deleterious effects.

I live in South Korea, so will try and integrate some Purple Sweet potato into my diet each day, I live mostly on junk now so just getting some vegetables in can only help :)

Kind of think that isolating HA then going crazy on it is not natural and has never been done by man before, so if there is any harm that could come from it then this would be a great way of finding that harm.

Why HA from food would be safer? After all it is derived from plants anyway... Also, why would full-face rejuvenation using HA fillers is considered to be safe...

This study shows that 10% of dietary hyaluronic acid migrates into the skin of rats. "No excessive accumulation was observed and more than 90% of the hyaluronic acid was excreted in expired air or urine."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4213400/

Also, another interesting opinion on that (http://www.denvernat...ews/sardiHA.htm):

Does hyaluronic acid promote or accelerate the spread of cancer? 

Bill Sardi, Knowledge of Health, Inc. 

For inexplicable reasons the first website listed by internet search engines for hyaluronic acid (HA) is a poorly founded opinion by a health writer that hyaluronic acid promotes cancer. This report has misled many people into mistakenly thinking oral hyaluronic acid, taken as a dietary supplement, may in some way promote cancer. Numerous times the author of that misleading report has been sent contrary studies, but has refused to remove the misleading information. So you will have to examine the topic for yourself. 

Hyaluronic acid is produced continually throughout life, more so when very young and during pregnancy, when cancer rates are almost nonexistent. Yet the opinion prevails that somehow, taking oral HA might cause cancer. 

For the naïve viewer of the medical literature, there are many reports indicating elevated levels of HA are associated with the spread of tumors, what is called invasion. Tumor cells can mobilize and spread (become metastatic) by using HA as a kind of biological “slide and slide.” However, taking oral HA supplements has little to do with this biological phenomenon. More HA shows up at tumor site because it is a healing agent. Anywhere there is a wound in your body, cells called fibroblasts make more HA. 

A recent study, conducted by researchers in Finland , investigated the role of hyaluronic acid in squamous cell carcinoma (oral cancer). “At the end of the follow-up (median 52 months) 43% of patients had died because of this type of cancer. A significant difference in overall survival and disease free survival was noticed between the patients with the different epithelial staining patterns for HA. The reduction of HA staining was associated with poor survival . These results suggest that HA is a prognostic marker in oral squamous cell carcinoma.” 

Notice the words “prognostic marker.” Since more HA is produced in tissues that are damaged by trauma, burns, toxic chemicals, or tumors, broken down (degraded) HA can be used to detect or measure the progression of tumors. This is akin to fire fighters who show up at fires. They are “associated with,” but not considered a cause, of the fires. The fire fighters are there to put the fire out, just like HA is attempting to heal the damaged tissue. 

The difference between cause and association is easily understood by the following example. Let's say investigators want to know the causes of childhood pedestrian accidents. They collect data from all cases where children were hit by automobiles and they find that nearly all of the children were wearing tennis shoes. So, can we conclude that tennis shoes caused the accidents? Obviously not. The tennis shoes are only by-standers. So is HA. 

Here is a study to examine. Finnish researchers noted that “hyaluronic acid is involved in the growth and progression of malignant tumors.” The researchers stated that “a high proportion of HA-positive cells of all cancer cells was significantly associated with deep tumor invasions, spreading to lymph nodes, and is associated with tumor progression and poor survival rate.” Sounds pretty terrible, to the uninformed reader, doesn't it? Notice the report says HA is “involved” and “associated,” but never indicates it was a cause of tumors or increased their severity. [Br J Cancer 79:1133-8, 1999] Hard paved roads are responsible for the severity of trauma when people are thrown out of cars in auto accidents, but we can't say the road caused the accident, can we? 

Recently a study examined the role of various components of the connective tissue (the goo in between living cells, like mortar in between bricks). Tumor tissue from 86 patients with breast cancer that had not spread to lymph nodes yet was examined by staining the tissues so each type of connective tissue component could be identified (versican, chondroitin sulfate, tenascin, and hyaluronan. Researchers at the Hanson Institute in Adelaide , Australia , said: “analyses indicated that elevated expression of versican predicted increased risk and rate of relapse in this cohort. Elevated expression of tenascin was predictive of increased risk and rate of death only…… neither chondroitin or hyaluronic acid were predictive of disease outcome in this group.” [Clinical Cancer Research 10: 2491-98, 2004]

Shown above are slides, at different magnification, revealing stained areas where HA concentration is high within tumor cells. In this study researchers have noted that “cancer patients with a scattered and weak HA staining had a significantly higher probability of recurrent disease and unfavorable outcome.” [Oral Oncology 40:257-63, 2004] 

If hyaluronic acid is a suspected cancer-causing agent, then why is it being used along with other molecules to treat cancer? Researchers in Italy indicate HA combined with other compounds are “promising” and responsible for the “arrest” of tumor cell growth. [Investigative New Drugs 22: 207-17, 2004] 

Hyaluronic acid is actually being used experimentally to treat cancer, with great effectiveness. One alternative medical practitioner notes HA, when added to other intravenous compounds, increases the effectiveness of cancer treatment. See report at: http://www.smartlife...2004_11_18.htm 

Here is another report, re-published intact (below), which indicates HA is a promising anti-cancer agent. While no company that makes oral HA supplements can make any claims that their products cure, prevent or even diagnose cancer, the citations listed herein should dispel poorly founded concerns that oral HA promotes cancer in any way.

#114 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 05 January 2016 - 08:09 PM

Fish cartilage is supposed to be helpful in improving the treatment of aging skin. 

Ceramides are supposed to  improve the skin barrier, decreasing the transepidermal water loss and increasing the corneocyte water binding. 

Pycnogenol is among the most powerful natural antioxidants that recycle and prolong vitamin C and E effects. These bioflavonoids neutralize collagenases and elastases, improving skin aging features. Used since 1853, Pycnogenol as a health supplement is a proven free radical scavenger,  50 times more potent than vitamin E and 20 times more potent than vitamin C, according to European researchers. It also efficiently protects from oxidative stress injury (lipid peroxidation and cytotoxicity) induced by UVR. The protective effects are dose related, with the highest concentration providing the greatest benefits. The ingredient is effective even in protecting the skin from erythema induced by UV-B rays.

All the above supplements are discussed here:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18940546

#115 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Antioxidant Supplements Improve Parameters Related to Skin Structure in Humans

In the present study we investigated the influence of two different antioxidant supplements composed of carotenoids, vitamin E and selenium on parameters related to skin health and skin aging. Thirty-nine volunteers with healthy, normal skin of skin type 2 were divided into 3 groups (n = 13) and supplemented for a period of 12 weeks. Group 1 received a mixture of lycopene (3 mg/day), lutein (3 mg/day), β-carotene (4.8 mg/day), α-tocopherol (10 mg/day) and selenium (75 µg/day). Group 2 was supplemented with a mixture of lycopene (6 mg/day), β-carotene (4.8 mg/day), α-tocopherol (10 mg/day) and selenium (75 µg/day). Group 3 was the placebo control. Upon supplementation serum levels of selected carotenoids increased in both verum groups. Skin density and thickness were determined by ultrasound measurements. A significant increase for both parameters was determined in the verum groups. Roughness, scaling, smoothness and wrinkling of the skin were determined by Surface Evaluation of Living Skin (Visioscan). Roughness and scaling were improved by the supplementation with antioxidant micronutrients. In the placebo group no changes were found for any of the parameters.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/16679825

#116 HapG

• 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 06:50 PM

These 2 products are relatively cheap, at least on places like iHerb anyway, so try it out, I'd be really surprised if it did absolutely nothing noticeable for you, in fact, I'd pay you whatever it cost you back, that's how certain I am, and how many years of experience I got with this category.

Cheers,

Hi friends, I'm confused as to which of the Life Extension pomegranate supplements to get based on the post at the start of the thread. Can anyone help?

The capsules are the full spectrum, which it says in the post not to get. http://www.lifeexten...xtract-capsules

The Pomegranate Complete doesn't say full spectrum but they are softgels not capsules. http://www.lifeexten...ranate-complete

Does anyone know which one is the right one? :)

Edited by HapG, 11 January 2016 - 06:56 PM.

#117 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:21 PM

@HapG: I am pretty sure the author talks about capsules. So this one is the right one: http://http://www.li...xtract-capsules

#118 HapG

• 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 04:59 PM

@HapG: I am pretty sure the author talks about capsules. So this one is the right one: http://http://www.li...xtract-capsules

Thanks so much! I'm going to try it. I have rosacea that's been pretty severe. Has been slowly improving over the last several months. But there's still room for improvement in terms of flushing - but also the damage left from flushing.
I took 20 capsules of Jarrow's HA on an empty stomach and my face flushed all over. Even under my eyes. So guess it was a trigger for my rosacea for some reason.

#119 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:34 PM

20 capsules of HA a day in 2 doses:) I believe that is what the author suggested. 

@HapG: I am pretty sure the author talks about capsules. So this one is the right one: http://http://www.li...xtract-capsules

Thanks so much! I'm going to try it. I have rosacea that's been pretty severe. Has been slowly improving over the last several months. But there's still room for improvement in terms of flushing - but also the damage left from flushing.
I took 20 capsules of Jarrow's HA on an empty stomach and my face flushed all over. Even under my eyes. So guess it was a trigger for my rosacea for some reason.

#120 HapG

• 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:59 PM

20 capsules of HA a day in 2 doses:) I believe that is what the author suggested.

I see where the person mentioned to take them all at once but not twice a day? http://www.longecity...ung#entry629686

Do you think it would still be effective if I split the doses? Take on an empty stomach first thing in the morning and before bed?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users