* * * * * 6 votes

Supplements to keep skin looking young

• Please log in to reply
267 replies to this topic

#121 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 06:08 PM

@HapG: One can't be certain about the safety of taking HA at such big doses. Based on what I have read about HA, it is quite safe. After all, babies have high % of HA and rarely get cancer. But I don't believe any reliable studies have been done with high doses of HA. So it is hard to say for sure.

I have been taking 500 mg of HA on empty stomach without any side effects but I have not seen any plumping effects either. 

#122 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 10:32 PM

Dermarolling would be more effective than most supplements and topical.

Chemical peels too are effective.

Oral HA is more for joints than "plumping", topical use is great as moisturizer and more but for a plumping effect I am afraid is not the best choice, at least not by itself.

Maybe topical DMAE but don't expect miracles.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for AGELESS LOOKS to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#123 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

Oral HA is more for joints than "plumping", topical use is great as moisturizer and more but for a plumping effect I am afraid is not the best choice, at least not by itself.

One forum member claimed a significant plumping effect from taking a specific brand of HA in high doses. So several of other members have been trying to replicate the results. So far one more forum member (Adamzski) saw visible improvements from the same supplement. 

Medical derma rolling is indeed very powerful, according to various studies. 

Topical DMAE was useless for me. 

#124 EFTANG

• 115 posts
  • NO

Posted 13 January 2016 - 08:51 PM

Chaga extract (medicinal fungus) is a popular anti-aging supplement, because of its anti-oxidant power. The ORAC levels found in a good Chaga extract are off the chart - only topped by some spices, but these have the problem of poor bioavailability, which a Chaga extract has not. It really works miracles on the skin, but in the long run only - don't expect to see wrinkles disappear overnight. The effects are dose-dependent; more is better.

It is also used succesfully to beat the symptoms of psoriasis and eczema. On top of that, it will modulate your immune function. A great base for any supplement regime.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

#125 meatsauce

• 329 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

One forum member claimed a significant plumping effect from taking a specific brand of HA in high doses. So several of other members have been trying to replicate the results. So far one more forum member (Adamzski) saw visible improvements from the same supplement. 

Medical derma rolling is indeed very powerful, according to various studies. 

Topical DMAE was useless for me. 

Do you know the brand of HA?

#126 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:25 PM

It is this one: http://ca.iherb.com/...eggie-Caps/8929

#127 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 18 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Brand doesn't really matter, hyaluronic acid differs in source, molecular weight and purity, that's all (apart from cross-linked HA which is a quite different thing and not an oral or topical supplement).

Source can be animal or vegetable (bacterial process), animal can be from roosters' combs or bovine eyes (quite rare nowadays).

The difference here is that some people might be somehow allergic to poultry derived compounds while bacterial HA is claimed as more "friendly"

Purity is a concern because HA has very interesting proprieties of vehiculate substances, since contamination is mainly heavy metals a high purity grade is preferable, of course.

Usually a food grade HA is at least > 98% pure.(ask for certificate of analysis).

When it comes to molecular weight is really where the difference matters.

Low, mid and high molecular weights are all very imprecise definitions since different sellers/producers have their own criteria to assign those to their products.

The unit of measure is Daltons (Da), our own HA has an average of 3-4 millions Da, most common oral HA supplements are about 1 million Da, up to 300KDa (300000Da) HA will pass the dermal barrier and end up in the blood stream if applied topically.

The lower the molecular weight the faster HA gets degraded by hyaluronidases (enzymes).

It seems that different molecular weights do elicit different responses in the organism.

...recent studies showed hyaluronan fragments, not the native high-molecular mass of hyaluronanic acid, can induce inflammatory responses in macrophages and dendritic cells in tissue injury and in skin transplant[

https://en.wikipedia...cid#Degradation

The product cited in the previous post is only claimed as "low molecular weight" which really means nothing, if it is true that product yields terrific results it is enough to know the molecular weight and buy a food grade HA powder of the same molecular weight for a fraction of the price.

Keep in mind that HA molecular weight is always an average since it would be very difficult to get all molecules of the exact same size, therefore it is not needed to be overly fussy, just about the same is enough,

My intuition suggest 1-2 millions Da as a good oral supplement but at the moment nobody really knows what is really best.

Recommended daily oral intake is about 150-200mg, if I do recall correctly the guy reporting those amazing plumping results took a much bigger dosage and we don't really know how safe it would be in the long run, my personal feeling is that it should not be an issue but... 

• Informative x 1

#128 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:11 PM

Recommended daily oral intake is about 150-200mg, if I do recall correctly the guy reporting those amazing plumping results took a much bigger dosage and we don't really know how safe it would be in the long run, my personal feeling is that it should not be an issue but... 

The recommendation written on the Jarrows Formulas brand is up to 400 mg  of HA a day.

Edited by The Beauty of Peace, 19 January 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#129 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

Fountain The Hyaluronic Molecule by Deciem is a drink with high dose of HA. It's 240ml for £27 and you get 1000mg of HA per 2 teaspoons. I may try!

#130 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 23 November 2016 - 11:56 PM

I was sceptical but yep if you can afford to and don't mind the possible long-term risks then using a bottle of Jarrows HA every 3-4 days should give you a very noticeable plumping.

Im 39 next week.. my youthful looks are falling off a cliff, so I am getting back into all my potions.

#131 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 November 2016 - 12:02 AM

You can buy food grade HA fairly cheaply in comparison with Fountain or Jarrows. Maybe worth looking into instead. You could potentially mix up 1000mg of HA in a drinkable form each day without burning a hole on the pocket.

Did you take a break from your 'potions' recently? :)

#132 YOLF

Posted 24 November 2016 - 11:10 AM

We could do a group buy on this and get some enteric capsules... We'd probably want to mix it up thou and get a few of the different sizes.

• Informative x 1

#133 bosharpe

• 239 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 December 2016 - 06:45 PM

Here's another supplier - Stanford Chemicals.

>1,800K Da

kg – 5kg 
$465/kg

5 kg – 10 kg
$440/kg

• Informative x 1

#134 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 24 December 2016 - 02:36 AM

Anyone taking both HA and collagen supplements?

#135 YOLF

Posted 25 December 2016 - 05:38 PM

I've taken Jarrow's Hyabest for Skin with Types 1, 2, and 3 collagen. I didn't see much if any improvement from the HA over just taking the collagen. I took it between 32 and 35. The best I've seen results from was Vitacost's Biocell Collagen Type II product. It has HA, Collagen, and Chondroitin Sulfate iirc. I took that in my late 20s and did see results. 

I want to add while I'm responding that the following offer good skin benefits in my experience:

Anthocyanin Complex (homemade):

125mg Bilberry (25% anthocyanins) also improves eye sight ime.

375mg Blueberry (25% anthocyanins) also improves general cognition ime.

500mg Black Raspberry Extract (not Blackberry) also improves visual memory ime.

500mg Sage 4:1 (start with 100mg and work you way up, it's equivalent to 2500mg dried sage)

500mg White Willow Bark Extract (25% Salicin... though I see stuff labelled poorly that leads you to believe there is actually 500mg of Salicin in the capsule)

850-1000mg Burdock Root - mostly good for acne for people who have it due to high testosterone, but it doesn't clear it up 100%. I've seen more potent extracts, but haven't tried them yet.

240mg Polypodium Leucotomos (PLE) AKA Calaguala and some other things - good for youthful skin, may prevent psoriasis and will also reduce psoriasis equally as well as most psoriasis drugs w/o the reduction in immune function or causing cancer, though if used with UV light, it will still cause cancer. This is the active in heliocare. Also available are PLE 4:1 Extracts

Glucosamine/Chondroitin - these joint supplements will also keep your skin younger and you might not need as much if you are young.

Vitamin C Complexes generally containing:

Ester C

C from Acerola

Quercetin

Citrus Bioflavanoids

CoQ10 - also great for maintaining good cholesterol levels

Pyruvic Acid or Pyruvate conjugates - remodels the ECM for more uniform cellular development and could prevent aging of skin and other tissues as well as accelerating the removal of these things which are already present. Can cause a little pain when remodelling damaged ECM, best taken at night and with 500-1000iu of D3 if it's a calcium source and then avoid being too active or putting too much strain on yourself. Starting earlier than 30 with this stuff would probably negate any pain it would cause and at 35, the pain subsides as the improvements to cellular and ECM uniformity continue. I've even seen an improvement of wrinkle features caused by glucosepane, though I doubt it's an age breaker. With younger cellular turnover, this stuff is going to work great! But you can take IGF1, thyroid hormone, fucoxanthin, gotu kola, or royal jelly if you want to get better results at an older age.

Astragaloside IV and Cycloastragenol - both seem to have improved my skin quality alot in short periods when taken with all this other stuff. I imagine very small doses after 17 would be sufficient to delay quite a bit of aging would be effective as that's when telomeres start shortening instead of lengthening for most. If you have early development, you'll probably have more stem cells than everyone else, but your telomeres will start eroding earlier, so you could start low doses even earlier and add to your already longer youthspan and lifespan.

I think if I had taken all of this from the time I was 13 when I started taking supplements and never smoked, I wouldn't look much older more than 20 years later... but I've had to learn this stuff slowly... I'm pretty young looking compared to my peers and have been mistaken for being much younger if I'm wearing a hat that obscures my forehead. I probably did some damage there when using Retin-A cream as a kid and not avoiding sunlight or only using it at night, or skipping showers in the morning.

• Informative x 2
  • like x 1

#136 Diocletian

• 46 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 06:21 PM

Very informative post YOLF, I never cared for my skin before so now at 29 my skin is not so great, there is sun damage and damage from acne.

In last 6 months since I started with supplements my skin has improved considerably.

Here are supplements (and food) that I think have improved my skin:

Collagen supplement

L-Carnosine (against glycation)

Eating 2 carrots a day (Vitamin A)

Eating 2 oranges a day (Vitamin C)

Taking D3 supps instead of getting it from sun

Edited by Diocletian, 25 December 2016 - 06:25 PM.

• Cheerful x 1

#137 YOLF

Posted 26 December 2016 - 12:32 AM

Be careful with carrots, there are metabolites of Vit A and related molecules that lead to macular degeneration. Ichor is researching drug candidates for it, but who knows when it will become available. There is alot of Vit A in carrots... tons...

I guess I should add that I've also been making smoothies from freeze dried fruit and juice powders as well as extracts, which I add stuff like the Anthocyanins and Black Raspberry to along with a ton of other stuff that's good for me. It's much easier, and actually cheaper than using real, fresh fruit and juices and gives me quite the kickstart in the morning and late afternoon. That's another thing I should have been doing early on. I'm also wary of premade smoothie powders that contain algae products as they cause gas, otherwise I'd use them as a base, but I get better results at a better price with DIY and I make a months worth or more at a time using old protein containers. Saves time and money, and that's the most accessible form of life extension.

Edited by YOLF, 26 December 2016 - 12:37 AM.

• Needs references x 2
  • Ill informed x 2
  • like x 1
  • Dangerous, Irresponsible x 1

#138 telavidico

• 9 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 03:12 AM

TCA 25 % peels bought on Amazon are very effective when it comes to scaring. You can do them once a month, but I would suggest you work with a lower strength peel and get some experience under your belt to see how your skin reacts.

I still have no idea on how to get rid of all blackheads on my nose.. Suggestions ?

• Good Point x 1

#139 Adamzski

• 674 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:22 AM

or only using it at night, or skipping showers in the morning.

Sorry if I missed it but what do you mean by this? 

You are using Retin-A 2 times per day?

And by saying showering in the morning is this just to do do with cleansing all Retin-A of you prior to sunlight?

Also the other poster yes took about a year off all kinds of supplements.

• Good Point x 1

#140 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2017 - 05:04 PM

I probably did some damage there when using Retin-A cream as a kid and not avoiding sunlight or only using it at night, or skipping showers in the morning.

Can you please clarify your last sentence.)

#141 aconita

• 1,389 posts
  • NO

Posted 02 January 2017 - 10:19 PM

The meaning is quite clear: retin a leads to very sun sensitive skin, in other words sun or even light exposure and retin a don't go along, skin damage will result.

It is recommended to use retin a only before bed and preferably in winter in order to avoid as much as possible the interaction with sun exposure, washing it off in the morning does little in this regard in my opinion but anyway...

In my opinion retin a is a very bad choice and a dangerous one too.

#142 Duolife ie

• 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2017 - 11:38 AM

you can try Collagen https://www.duolife....life-collagen/ 

#143 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:48 AM

I've been using Retin-A since my late 30s and I am now 53 -- but you wouldn't know it, because that Retin-A really does work. I use it only a few nights a week now. I also use MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream -- a little on the expensive side, but I definitely see results in skin tone, skin tightening, overall good look to skin. I also use (don't laugh, this is a long list), Vit C & hyaluronic acid serum, B3 serum (esp. on backs of hands), a good moisturizer (Yonka Vital Defense), and I use masks every 2 weeks or so. I experiment with various products. I don't use any cleanser on my face beyond a makeup removal wipe, and don't wear makeup more than a couple of days a week. For skin supplements, I take biotin, collagen, and HA (but not totally consistent on the HA). No wrinkles on this face, lol.

#144 YOLF

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:57 AM

I've been using Retin-A since my late 30s and I am now 53 -- but you wouldn't know it, because that Retin-A really does work. I use it only a few nights a week now. I also use MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream -- a little on the expensive side, but I definitely see results in skin tone, skin tightening, overall good look to skin. I also use (don't laugh, this is a long list), Vit C & hyaluronic acid serum, B3 serum (esp. on backs of hands), a good moisturizer (Yonka Vital Defense), and I use masks every 2 weeks or so. I experiment with various products. I don't use any cleanser on my face beyond a makeup removal wipe, and don't wear makeup more than a couple of days a week. For skin supplements, I take biotin, collagen, and HA (but not totally consistent on the HA). No wrinkles on this face, lol.

Got pics? I'd love to turn this into a photo story if you have lots of them.

#145 aribadabar

• 860 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2017 - 05:00 AM

.... B3 serum ....

Does it matter if the B3 serum is of particular brand?

Thanks!

#146 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:23 PM

.... B3 serum ....

Does it matter if the B3 serum is of particular brand?

Thanks!

I like Gia Naturals, which you can get on Amazon for about $15, but I'm sure there are many good brands.

• Informative x 1

#147 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

I don't usually take pictures of myself -- I used to have terrible rosacea (when I was pregnant with my daughter, so this is going back 23 years), and I wish I had a picture of then vs. now. Otherwise, since I started the Retin-A in my 30s when my skin was still good naturally to now, there hasn't been too much change. I'm pretty awkwardly self-conscious about my appearance already, so I figure fending off wrinkles can only help what little self-esteem I've got. ;)

• Cheerful x 1

#148 YOLF

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:59 PM

I don't usually take pictures of myself -- I used to have terrible rosacea (when I was pregnant with my daughter, so this is going back 23 years), and I wish I had a picture of then vs. now. Otherwise, since I started the Retin-A in my 30s when my skin was still good naturally to now, there hasn't been too much change. I'm pretty awkwardly self-conscious about my appearance already, so I figure fending off wrinkles can only help what little self-esteem I've got. ;)

Self-esteem and beauty aren't tied to being beautiful, they are tied to wanting to be beautiful and taking action to make it so on many fronts. As time progresses, we give people more to work for and more reward for their work.

#149 The Beauty of Peace

• 173 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:42 AM

Your results are very inspiring! 

How can you be so sure that MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream improved your skin tone beyond of what Retin A had already done?

Which masks do you use? Do you use a sunblock?) And what type of collagen and HA sups do you take?

And can you please share with us your routine. 

Thank you in advance!

#150 Gayle63

• 57 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:10 AM

Your results are very inspiring! 

How can you be so sure that MitoQ Cellular Energizing Cream improved your skin tone beyond of what Retin A had already done?

Which masks do you use? Do you use a sunblock?) And what type of collagen and HA sups do you take?

And can you please share with us your routine. 

Thank you in advance!

I can definitely see a visible difference in overall skin tone and evenness when I use the MitoQ. Retin-A is great for wrinkles, but it's hard to find something that helps with pores. In fact, I'm not sure there's really anything that's great for pores other than keeping your skin clean, but my skin looks tighter with the MitoQ.

Retin-A is also very drying. I don't peel regularly from it now, but every so often, all of a sudden, I'll get a big peel, especially around my mouth and chin, maybe because the skin is thinner there. (I saw a reference to somebody who said they're using Retin-A twice a day -- I would recommend against that, first of all because light nullifies it, and also because if you're using prescription strength, it's powerful and you could probably do some damage.)

I love to experiment with products, so my routine changes pretty regularly, but in the morning after a shower, I use Yonka Toner (http://shop.yonkausa...-lotion-ps.html -- cheaper on Ebay!), then put on the MitoQ, a Vit C/HA serum (various brands), and the B3. If it's especially dry, I'll wait a bit and then put on the Yonka Vital Defense. If I'm heading out, I use a BB cream or foundation with SPF (like Miracle Cream transformer -- lots of them have sun screen).

I like the Vitacost Hyaluronic Acid. It's funny, I ran out a couple of weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure I can see a difference in skin "plumpness," so I reordered today. I use Neocell Collagen C https://www.amazon.c...s=collagen&th=1 -- I understand it's best taken on an empty stomach. 

Night routine is similar, except every other day or so, I use the Retin-A.

I love Glamglow Youthmud (http://www.sephora.c...ts grid:p375741) for a mask, but it's too expensive for me to use regularly -- it's a treat!

My problem area is my neck. It's really hard to find something that will take off those "necklace lines." If you have any products you love, please share! I'm always looking for the next miracle! :)  

Truthinaging.com is a great site, by the way, and if you're interested in fillers (which I would like to try someday, money willing), realself.com is fun to peruse.

• Informative x 1
  • like x 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users