- - - - -

Hammer exercises to lateralize the brain

lateralization

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cylack

• 69 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:16 PM

I read this book a few months ago called "Whole Brain Power" by Michael Lavery. The author had some interesting theories and suggestions on better utilizing the whole brain, i.e., lateralization of the brain. Among other things, he points out that the homunculus shows the hands have the greatest amount of receptors in the brain. He suggested using your non-dominant hand to practice handwriting and practice hammer exercises. Basically get a rubber mallet and a golf ball and start bouncing the ball. Eventually get two hammers and bounce the ball back and forth. Once you get really good get a hammer and a smaller ball. I've found doing these exercises is very calming. I bounce the ball 50 times in each hand and then do alternating back and forth for 5 mins. At first, it was frustrating to bounce the ball using my non-dominant hand, but I got good at it quickly. The author states he can easily bounce the ball 500 times at a time. It is an inexpensive and easy thing to try. Best case scenario it actually improves your brain, worst its just a cheap stress reliever. I didn't have the patience to practice handwriting with my non-dominant hand. I think a rubber mallet was like $6 at Lowe's.

Anyways, interested in hearing others thoughts on these exercises.
  • like x 1

#2 YOLF

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

What is he calling a homunculus?

Edited by cryonicsculture, 29 January 2014 - 12:12 AM.

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 knockout_mice

• 51 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Posted Image
  • like x 1

#4 Jeoshua

• 662 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:41 PM

That diagram is missing the... ahem... extended portion of the brain devoted to the genitals.
  • like x 1

#5 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

cylack : Does the author say to use alternatively your dominant and non dominant hands or should you just do that with your non dominant hand? Anyway I'm going to try that as it inexpensive and easy to do.

#6 treanos

• 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:39 PM

this thread is funny but left hand training didnt work for me for my ulterior alternative "activities"
  • dislike x 1
  • like x 1

#7 renfr

• 1,059 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I also thought of doing something else : for people who use the computer a lot in their daily life it could be a good idea to use the mouse with your non-dominant hand, it probably works as efficiently as the hammer exercise

#8 cylack

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:40 PM

Lavery said the goal is to try to be ambidextrous. So, you'd want to focus on using your non-dominant hand. Hammer exercises and handwriting are the primary ways to do this. Other ways could be brushing your teeth, using scissors, etc.

#9 platypus

• 2,386 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:14 PM

Use the mouse with your non-dominant hand too..

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#10 dunbar

• 526 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:26 PM

How bout jacking with your non-dominant hand? Does this work, too?
  • dislike x 2

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lateralization

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users