• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

Stellate ganglion block for depression, anhedonia, insomnia?

ptsd

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Monroe

• 75 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

Well normally SGB - stellate ganglion block was used for pain but then it became really popular for ptsd, in it's ability to kind of... turn off the sympathetic drive. I'm thinking... okay so say if someone's SNS is overactive, would getting a SGB be helpful?

I know many people including myself that after a stressful event their life.. kind of changes. Like I used to never have sleep or anxiety issues and then they all of a sudden were a huge problem, and then the anhedonia set in, just numb to everything.

I read it can be helpful in anxiety but I'm wondering if it would help with something like depression/ anhedonia, where it seems to be caused stress or overactive

Here's an article about it http://www.hindawi.c...rt/2010/963948/

#2 jadamgo

• 701 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

This could be a pretty significant improvement over actually cutting off parts of the SNS, since the anesthetic block and PRF don't actually kill the ganglion. They only shut it down temporarily. That's good, because the eventual goal in treating anxiety disorders is basically neuropsychological: you want to re-train the learned conditioning that causes the SNS to get activated too frequently, even to the point of continuous activity.

My only question is whether or not this has any specific benefits over the peripheral beta-blockers. (I.e. not ones like propranolol which enter the CNS.) Which option does a better job of targeting the disease process while leaving other processes alone? I don't think this study conclusively answers that because the patient was never given beta-blockers. He was only given an SSRI, a benzo, and an antipsychotic (wtf?) so we don't really know whether or not a simple, cheap beta blocker could have done the same thing.
  • like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Joe Monroe

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

I dunno I read beta blockers help some but not totally. People are calling it the 'ptsd cure' From what I know beta blockers just block the actual effects of stress in the body.. but don't actually stop the stress itself... if that makes sense. I dunno.

#4 son of shen nong

• 30 posts

Posted 26 April 2015 - 04:07 PM

This appears to be a rather pronounced & invasive procedure.  Have you tried various meditations, altering your diet, bodywork, & availing yourself of the numerous supplements out there?

#5 Joe Monroe

• Topic Starter
  • 75 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

This appears to be a rather pronounced & invasive procedure.  Have you tried various meditations, altering your diet, bodywork, & availing yourself of the numerous supplements out there?

yes... you have no idea. Much of my free time is spent on the internet looking for answers actually. I've given up on this route though, right now I'm focusing on mthfr/ detox gene mutations, I've been taking high doses of l-methyfolate, am trying to get a prescription for deplin, I feel like it helps, but I think I need a stronger dose of it. According to studies only 15mg produces positive results, 7.5mg wasn't enough it seems. 

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this MEDICINES advertising spot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#6 shp5

• 219 posts

Posted 30 April 2015 - 07:53 PM

there are a few things a good osteopath or manual therapist could try in order to reduce the tension in the surrounding structures. first rib, throat fasciae, scaleni etc. I have a collegue who told me about some improvement in burn-out patients he had when treating the area.

In the end, the whole autonomous nerve system can be influenced by functional problems in its surrounding structures, that's another reason why exercising and bodywork could help with such psychological disorders.

Edited by shp5, 30 April 2015 - 08:18 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ptsd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users