• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo

What changes our processing of DHT as we age?

hormones aging cellular pathways

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ShrewdSimian

• 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

DHT is great for sex drive and muscle building, but not so great when it builds up on your scalp and in your prostate (in the case of males).

What specific cellular processes degrade as we age that causes DHT to not be effectively cleared from those areas of the body?

Edited by ShrewdSimian, 11 March 2014 - 07:34 PM.

#2 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 19 August 2014 - 11:51 PM

Good question.  I think that age onset increases in 5AR act on T similarly as aromotase for estradiol, so its not a question of clearance, its a question of excess conversion.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 ShrewdSimian

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

Is there anything that does a safe and satisfactory job of reducing that conversion rate?

sponsored ad

• Advert

#4 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:50 AM

I believe that saw palmetto is the "gold standard" for what you're looking for, assuming a properly processed (co2 extraction) and stardardized product.  Just be aware that too low DHT levels is harmful just as too high.  So measure.

#5 ShrewdSimian

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:55 AM

I believe that saw palmetto is the "gold standard" for what you're looking for, assuming a properly processed (co2 extraction) and stardardized product.  Just be aware that too low DHT levels is harmful just as too high.  So measure.

Tried saw palmetto to reduce my DHT when I was once worried about hair loss. Had really bad side effects.

Right now I'm really trying to figure out ways to boost my DHT as bloodwork suggests it is low and I am trying to increase muscle density.

#6 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

Since DHT is converted from T, your T must be either a) aromatizing to estrogen excessively and/or b) your T is low due to primary or secondary hypogonadism.  Are you suffering from some kind of steroid or finasteride fallout?  There are DHT creams but I think thats an extreme way to go unless you have a 5AR defenciency mutation (sure doesn't sound like it.)  Assuming you're not suffering from primary hypogonadism and your adrenals and thyroid are working in the optimal ranges (cortisol inhibits T though I can't remember the exact mechanism), then luteinizing herbs are what I would look at or just skip all that sloppy science B.S. and go directly to clomid (it binds estrogen receptors so your hypothalamus gets the signal to produce more LH).  Things can go wrong all over the place, so its best to get comprehensive hormone testing.

Edited by MachineGhostX, 21 August 2014 - 12:25 PM.

Click HERE to rent this BIOSCIENCE adspot to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#7 ShrewdSimian

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

Hahaha no my T and DHT is not that low! My T has always been abnormally high, but when I posted this question I found out that my DHT is borderline on the low side at the same time. Trying to figure out this conundrum. I did just quit drinking though, and shortly thereafter saw myself pack on 8 lbs of muscle and lost 2% BF in only 3 weeks. The drinking might have had something to do with my inability to gain muscle and lose fat in the past. Is alcohol known to block DHT?

I'm overdue for a hormonal analysis, so I'll make sure it is a broad spectrum as possible this time.

#8 MachineGhostX

• 106 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 12:54 AM

In men, chronic alcohol consumption causes a decrease in testosterone (Emanuele and Emanuele 2001). The alcohol­ induced decrease in testosterone levels is significant enough to cause shrinkage (atrophy) of the testes, impotence, and loss of secondary sex characteristics (Van Thiel et al. 1987).

I'd go for a urine hormone test but you need a real skilled physician to interpret that over serum.  Not likely to be a typical Androgel huckster!

#9 ShrewdSimian

• Topic Starter
  • 9 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 August 2014 - 04:38 PM

In men, chronic alcohol consumption causes a decrease in testosterone (Emanuele and Emanuele 2001). The alcohol­ induced decrease in testosterone levels is significant enough to cause shrinkage (atrophy) of the testes, impotence, and loss of secondary sex characteristics (Van Thiel et al. 1987).

I'd go for a urine hormone test but you need a real skilled physician to interpret that over serum.  Not likely to be a typical Androgel huckster!

Well damn! Dodged that bullet! Glad I quit that shit. Thanks a ton for the quote, sources and reference! Super helpful. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hormones, aging, cellular pathways

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users