- - - - -

Resveratrol on tendon healing of diabetic rats

resveratrol tendons

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 ta5

• 952 posts
Posted 08 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

When I saw the headline, I thought we might see confirmation that resveratrol inhibits tendon healing. I had (have? I guess it's mostly healed) a partially torn tendon that I thought may have been from years of high-dose resveratrol. Maybe not after all.

Acta Orthop Traumatol Turc. 2014;48(3):355-362.
Zeytin K1, Ciloğlu NS2, Ateş F3, Vardar Aker F4, Ercan F5.
Objective: The aim of this study was to determine the effects of resveratrol on the tendon healing process of streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Methods: The study included 16 male Sprague-Dawley rats. Streptozotocin was administered to induce diabetes and bilateral tenorrhaphy of the Achilles tendons was performed. Intraperitoneal resveratrol was injected in the experimental group (n=8) and saline in the control group (n=8) during the postoperative period. Rats were sacrificed at the 14th day. Right side tendons were evaluated biomechanically and left side tendons histologically. Results: Difference in mean tendon tensile strength was not statistically significant between groups (p>0.05). Histologic evaluations of the repair zones showed greater configuration of the newly synthesized collagen in the experimental group. The ratio of the newly synthesized collagen area to the healing region area was significantly higher in the experimental group then the control group (p<0.01). Conclusion: Resveratrol appears to have a positive impact on the process of tendon healing in diabetic conditions in the first 14 days.
PMID: 24901929 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: resveratrol, tendons

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users