* * * * * 4 votes

DHT and the Brain {Area-1255} {NearlyFamous}

dht and the brain androgens what is dht dihydrotestostero

• Please log in to reply
280 replies to this topic

#1 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 12:07 AM

One of our best articles that has received quite a bit of positive feedback due to going much more in-depth than other similar articles, is the "DHT in the Brain" : Everything about DHT Article.

http://area1255.blog...how-of-dht.html

Bodybuilders,Fitness Enthusiasts, or just people interested in having a sharp memory should be very careful about anti androgen and 5-ALPHA-REDUCTASE inhibitors - because they may diminish important brain functions normally sustained/improved by DHT - the most potent male hormone - androgen.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. If anyone DIDN'T see this article yet, now is your chance to dive in!

• WellResearched x 9
  • like x 3
  • dislike x 2
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#2 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:40 AM

Wouldn't this be irrelevant to Finasteride since it only blocks type 2 5AR?

Since DHT acts locally and 5AR type 1 is found in the brain, not 5AR type 2.

Correct me if I'm worng

• WellResearched x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:47 AM

Correct me if I'm worng

They are both found in the brain but in different ratios, concentrations and region-specific. There's just not a lot of literature on it. Also FINA, or any 5-AR drug - since they are drugs and competitively inhibit type II - doesn't mean they have no affinity for type 1. Keep in mind the splicings tested or particular testing never really elaborated on that until reports such as this have come up.

http://www.medhelp.o...rs/show/1896141

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/24928450

• WellResearched x 4
  • like x 3
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1

#4 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:17 AM

Correct me if I'm worng

They are both found in the brain but in different ratios, concentrations and region-specific. There's just not a lot of literature on it. Also FINA, or any 5-AR drug - since they are drugs and competitively inhibit type II - doesn't mean they have no affinity for type 1. Keep in mind the splicings tested or particular testing never really elaborated on that until reports such as this have come up.

OK thanks for the clarification.

Well I have been taking 2.5mg of finasteride (half a proscar tablet a day) for about 7 months.

It's hard to tell if this has effected my cognition or any other factor as I have been battling depression and anxiety problems for a couple years anyway.

I'm planning to give that topical RU anti-androgen a trial hoping I can get off fin.

Really don't want to lose all my hair by my late twenties.

• like x 1

#5 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:54 AM

Correct me if I'm worng

Well I have been taking 2.5mg of finasteride (half a proscar tablet a day) for about 7 months.

It's hard to tell if this has effected my cognition or any other factor as I have been battling depression and anxiety problems for a couple years anyway.

I'm planning to give that topical RU anti-androgen a trial hoping I can get off fin.

Might want to, have you considered a Zinc supplement ? What other nutraceuticals or nutritional remedies are you taking? Hair Loss, as with anything is complex and often involves nutritional imbalances, common things that people over look. Even being overweight can contribute to hair loss - due to Insulin release and subsequent effects on DHT and DHT related enzymes.

Edited by Area-1255, 26 August 2014 - 02:55 AM.

• WellResearched x 4
  • Agree x 2
  • Informative x 2
  • like x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#6 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 04:00 AM

I take Zinc daily.

I have typical MPB, it's on both sides of my family, so an anti-androgen is the best option for me.

Although I do believe I have some general thinning due to prolonged dextroamphetamine use (ADD), but I have quit taking amphetamines and now just used racetams, choline, Tianeptine, deprenyl, ashwhaghanda, Ginko Biloba and Fish oil for cognitive purposes.

I know Tianeptime has been shown to reverse atrophy of the hippocampus, so maybe it will help reverse/prevent damage from finasteride. Maybe Lion's Mane extract as well. Any other suggestions how I could combat damage finasteride may induce?

#7 Mr Matsubayashi

• 226 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:47 AM

I'm not sure how accurate this post is but it paints a clear picture on the effects finasteride has on the male body.

http://finasteridesy...p/dht-role.html

I'm someone who is folically challenged and with the only effective long term treatment being finasteride this is highly relevant to me. If things don't work out luckily I can just get fancy hair transplants for the entire thing. I like having hair on my head.

#8 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

I'm not sure how accurate this post is but it paints a clear picture on the effects finasteride has on the male body.

http://finasteridesy...p/dht-role.html

I'm someone who is folically challenged and with the only effective long term treatment being finasteride this is highly relevant to me. If things don't work out luckily I can just get fancy hair transplants for the entire thing. I like having hair on my head.

Yes it's pretty accurate, going into both public and private medical journals has yielded me a lot of knowledge. 

Fina definitely can cause Estrogen dominance, as well as prolactin elevations  - these elevations are normally blocked by the bodies natural DHT. 

Also DHT binds SHBG, leading to more Free T and then --.> more DHT.

Therefore when your DHT levels are high, all other hormones are effectively put *into balance* and set into proper motion.

Imo, DHT blocking (even though people do it every day, perhaps unknowingly at times) - can be very dangerous and lead to a whole host of negative side-effects.

1.) Personality Changes

2.) Loss of libido.

3.) Fits of depression, rage and pity.

4.) Emotional Numbness, lack of motivation / zest for life.

5.) Social Withdrawal

6.) Diabetes

7.) Blood Pressure Dysregulation (low BP, high BP or trouble maintaining normal)

• WellResearched x 6
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#9 crazepharmacist

• 94 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:39 PM

Propecia use is associated with long-lasting or permanent sexual dysfunction even after cessation. MERCK even changed the side-effect label to include this sometime in 2011 and strengthened it in 2012 after a probe by the FDA. There's currently a few clinical research studies on-going to find out the exact mechanism of action by which Propecia causes this long lasting sexual dysfunction. I think now is a rather bad time to take this medication for an issue as vain as hairloss.

http://www.pfsfounda...hing-affiliate/

http://www.pfsfounda...ge-of-medicine/

Edited by crazepharmacist, 26 August 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#10 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:51 PM

Propecia use is associated with long-lasting or permanent sexual dysfunction even after cessation. MERCK even changed the side-effect label to include this sometime in 2011 and strengthened it in 2012 after a probe by the FDA. There's currently a few clinical research studies on-going to find out the exact mechanism of action by which Propecia causes this long lasting sexual dysfunction. I think now is a rather bad time to take this medication for an issue as vain as hairloss.

Agreed, and thanks for the contribution in this thread! 

It causes "sexual dysfunction" because DHT helps maintain normal penile function - so we are reducing that directly.

In addition, it causes central reduction in non-contact erections and libido by indirectly causing estrogen and prolactin dominance in many men.

• WellResearched x 6
  • Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#11 crazepharmacist

• 94 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 06:31 PM

It causes "sexual dysfunction" because DHT helps maintain normal penile function - so we are reducing that directly.
In addition, it causes central reduction in non-contact erections and libido by indirectly causing estrogen and prolactin dominance in many men.

Right, but this doesn't explain why sexual dysfunction in some men persists long after cessation. Many men suffering from so called "post-Finasteride syndrome" do not respond to hormone treatment therapies, including testosterone, estradiol management, and even DHT. This would suggest to me Propecia has the potential to alter expression at the receptor level. Hopefully the two clinical studies will be able to elucidate the exact mechanism of action Propecia purportedly causes this.
  • like x 1

#12 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:37 PM

Right, but this doesn't explain why sexual dysfunction in some men persists long after cessation. Many men suffering from so called "post-Finasteride syndrome" do not respond to hormone treatment therapies, including testosterone, estradiol management, and even DHT. This would suggest to me Propecia has the potential to alter expression at the receptor level. Hopefully the two clinical studies will be able to elucidate the exact mechanism of action Propecia purportedly causes this.

I would have to agree it can potentially alter the enzymes permanently, but could just be the perpetually occurring hormone imbalance causing the said changes. For example, estrogen dominance over time leads to radical changes in serotonin and dopamine receptor activity - at which point it is very hard to reverse - even with dopaminergics.

That's why I always say I would rather be low E2 than high E2, low E2 is more manageable and easier to augment by means of histaminergic and glutamatergic modulation.

• Informative x 3
  • Good Point x 2
  • WellResearched x 2
  • Well Written x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#13 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:44 PM

Why wouldn't you just take an aromatise inhibitor with finasteride to keep E2 in check? That's why I was taking zinc. Plus I take 1-2mg of deprenyl a day, and 100-200mg of vitamin B6, both to keep prolactin check.

You should get regular blood tests to check your hormonal levels on finasteride.
  • WellResearched x 1

#14 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

Why wouldn't you just take an aromatise inhibitor with finasteride to keep E2 in check? That's why I was taking zinc. Plus I take 1-2mg of deprenyl a day, and 100-200mg of vitamin B6, both to keep prolactin check.

You should get regular blood tests to check your hormonal levels on finasteride.

Still, it's trickier when DHT is being blocked, plus DHT has it's own local effects on vasodilation and general nerve function.

• WellResearched x 7
  • Well Written x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Good Point x 1

#15 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 August 2014 - 11:32 PM

Still, it's trickier when DHT is being blocked, plus DHT has it's own local effects on vasodilation and general nerve function.

So really I'm stuffed if I don't get off fin?

I might have to try some topical ant-androgens. I was thinking a combo of RU and Spiro.

#16 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:04 AM

I might have to try some topical ant-androgens. I was thinking a combo of RU and Spiro.

If YOU feel OK on it, then good for you, I just personally wouldn't risk it.

There are many other topical remedies, besides anti-androgens; specifically topical (herbal) antihistamines. 

Let's not forget blood circulation and IGF-1 as well as Epithelial Growth Factor (ENGF) also play a role in hair loss. 

In fact, there was a whole discussion about nitric oxide and it's relevance to hair loss here --> http://www.hairlossh...&threadid=96812

http://forums.menshe...o-and-hair-loss

• WellResearched x 5
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • Cheerful x 1

#17 crazepharmacist

• 94 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:26 AM

I've read reports of guys not having a single side effect while on Fin but as soon as they come off and the drug leaves their system their entire endocrine system crashes. Well actually, let me be clear. Fin use>cessation>spike in hormones as drug leaves system(accompanied by heightened sexual functioning)>entire endocrine system crash with little to no response from hormone treatment therapies afterwards(testosterone, dht, estradial management). For some reasons some guy's are just all set up to get broken from Fin. This is all anecdotal of course. I'm not saying this is the exact procedure by which PFS occurs but it seems to be commonly described scenario by ex-fin users.

#18 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:34 AM

I've read reports of guys not having a single side effect while on Fin but as soon as they come off and the drug leaves their system their entire endocrine system crashes. Well actually, let me be clear. Fin use>cessation>spike in hormones as drug leaves system(accompanied by heightened sexual functioning)>entire endocrine system crash with little to no response from hormone treatment therapies afterwards(testosterone, dht, estradial management). For some reasons some guy's are just all set up to get broken from Fin. This is all anecdotal of course. I'm not saying this is the exact procedure by which PFS occurs but it seems to be commonly described scenario by ex-fin users.

They should run a Post Cycle therapy similar to that of bodybuilders coming off steroid cycles. If it's effective for the extreme hormonal manipulation they put themselves through, surely it would be  helpful for coming off finasteride.

#19 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 27 August 2014 - 12:36 AM

Oh I know, I've seen the reports and alleged testimonials as well - it's hard to understand exactly what happens, but the cessation MUST be followed by a higher E2 increase, it could be that as DHT production reboots somewhat, that the following binding of SHBG (by returning DHT) combined with transient, creeping estradiol elevations, beats the E2 reduction (that would normally happen from DHT) circuitry to the race, or the initial E2 reboot caused by DHT's complex hypothalamic interactions, sends it right through the roof! In essence, what this means is the ratios of hormones are all fucked up - and this leads to the increased sensitivity to side-effects that otherwise wouldn't normally have been there.

It could also be that testosterone skyrockets upon discontinuation, but that's just initially, then the body sense these ridiculous high levels and changes, and starts pumping out even MORE E2 to counter it - resulting in total and complete estrogen dominance, combined with a surge of DHT - this would also inhibit and with the High E2 surge on top of that - a complete shutdown of the HPTA.

I'm just theorizing though, but this seems like the most feasible argument, don't you think?

Keep in mind DHT also interacts with and preferably decreases glutamate levels - so it could be that DHT and it's other interactions with NT systems which happen to be very active in the HPTA anyway, end up creating a feedback loop that most of aren't aware of.

For example 

-Start finasteride now.

-3 months in E2 is steadily increasing...this follows with E2 induced changes like NMDA-hyperactivity and histamine release, as well as changes induced by estrogen in serotonin receptors. This is unfavorable and inhibits the HPTA itself after a while.

-now discontinuation results in a surge of testosterone, DHT, or both...meanwhile, E2 is still elevated.

-now we have neuroendocrine changes, inhibition of the HPTA, and surges of glutamate going down and then all the way up, but mostly, all of this extra glutamate and serotonin from the E2 causes severe prolactin release as well as cortisol..

ALSO, keep in mind DHT inhibits cortisol production and responses, as well as decreasing glutamate.

So again, here is where we are at = E2 Dominance, Prolactin Excess and Cortisol Dominance = complete (or near complete) shutdown of HPTA.

• WellResearched x 5
  • Informative x 2

#20 xks201

• 839 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 04:24 AM

stress hormones+high T = hair loss

high T+moderate stress=no hair loss

If high t by itself caused hair loss every teenage boy would be bald. You have the genetics for it. Unforuntaely you are risking destroying the 5 alpha reductase enzyme on a genetic level. Google the symptoms. Nothing I would risk. I'd take a bald head any day over that nightmare. 

Correct me if I'm worng

• Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#21 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 05:14 AM

stress hormones+high T = hair loss

high T+moderate stress=no hair loss

If high t by itself caused hair loss every teenage boy would be bald. You have the genetics for it. Unforuntaely you are risking destroying the 5 alpha reductase enzyme on a genetic level. Google the symptoms. Nothing I would risk. I'd take a bald head any day over that nightmare. 

Correct me if I'm worng

Exactly, it's all about ratio...though as you get older your test converts more into DHT and E2.

But certainly one of the causative factors (among many) of MPB is prolactin elevations which trigger all your test to convert into DHT.

And prolactin also has it's own inflammatory effects and can disrupt nitric oxide gene signaling.

Second is INSULIN RESISTANCE. One of the most common interactions is when you are insulin dominant, SHBG gets utterly crushed into the ground causing a total conversion of DHT / E2 to dominate. 

• WellResearched x 5
  • Well Written x 1
  • Informative x 1

#22 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:16 AM

@xks201

I don't think stress is proven to play a significant in hair loss when referring to Androgenic Alopecia.

DHT is the primary concern. T itself is not considered to be a significant player either.

Bottom line if you have a hair follicles genetically determined to be sensitive to miniaturization cause by DHT, not much will stop it.

I think it's sad that modern science doesn't have a better solution for treating MPB than finasteride/dutasteride. I mean I know it's not a life or death crisis, but the emotional stress it places on individuals is extremely debilitating, especially at a young age.

I have suffered from a fair few significant bouts of stress in my day (chronic acne, break-up of long term relationships, family troubles, etc) but nothing compares to slowly watching your looks being stripped from you in your early twenties. Something that progressively gets worse, has no real cure, is unavoidable, and something eevryone can see. Hard to beat

#23 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:11 PM

@xks201

I don't think stress is proven to play a significant in hair loss when referring to Androgenic Alopecia.

DHT is the primary concern. T itself is not considered to be a significant player either.

Bottom line if you have a hair follicles genetically determined to be sensitive to miniaturization cause by DHT, not much will stop it.

I think it's sad that modern science doesn't have a better solution for treating MPB than finasteride/dutasteride. I mean I know it's not a life or death crisis, but the emotional stress it places on individuals is extremely debilitating, especially at a young age.

I have suffered from a fair few significant bouts of stress in my day (chronic acne, break-up of long term relationships, family troubles, etc) but nothing compares to slowly watching your looks being stripped from you in your early twenties. Something that progressively gets worse, has no real cure, is unavoidable, and something eevryone can see. Hard to beat

Stress still exaggerates the condition though, by causing even more Prolactin release and thus subsequent DHT conversion from Testosterone. Also Insulin and Estrogen kinda go together, and so being either Insulin-Resistant, or diabetic, as well as having either estrogen or copper dominance, or both - leads to DHT dominance indirectly, thus losing the metabolic and muscle building benefits of Testosterone (DHT doesn't build muscle itself).

• WellResearched x 6
  • Informative x 1

#24 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Also might wanna look into natural ways of increasing DHT as a method of possibly reversing the dysfunction caused by Fina.

http://area1255.blog...-naturally.html

• Informative x 3
  • Well Written x 2
  • WellResearched x 2
  • like x 1

#25 VICREP

• 160 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:01 AM

Do you have studies supporting the link between excess prolactin and DHT?

Although I don't believe there to be any true direct relationship between the two, studies have shown that LOWERING prolactin can actually INCREASE DHT

Cabergoline treatment rapidly improves gonadal function in hyperprolactinemic males: a comparison with bromocriptine.

Abstract

This study evaluated the effects of chronic treatment with cabergoline (CAB), a new, potent and long-lasting ergoline-derived dopamine agonist, on seminal fluid parameters and sexual and gonadal function in hyperprolactinemic males in comparison with the effect of bromocriptine (BRC) treatment. Seventeen males with macroprolactinoma were treated with CAB at a dose of 0.5-1.5 mg/week (n = 7), or BRC at a dose of 5-15 mg/day (n = 10) for 6 months. Baseline prolactin (PRL) was 925.7 +/- 522.6 microg/l in the CAB-treated group and 1059.4 +/- 297.6 microg/l in the BRC-treated group. All the patients suffered from libido impairment, ten from reduced sexual potency, and six had infertility. In five patients provocative bilateral galactorrhea was found. Seminal fluid analysis, functional seminal tests and penis rigidity and tumescence, measured by nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) using Rigiscan equipment, were assessed before and after 1, 3 and 6 months of CAB or BRC treatment. Hormone profiles were assessed before and after 15, 30, 60, 90 and 180 days of both treatments. Before treatment, all patients had a low sperm count with oligoasthenospermia, reduced motility and rapid progression with an abnormal morphology and decreased viability, and a low number of erections. After 1 month, serum PRL levels were significantly reduced in both groups of patients (20.6 +/- 6.6 microg/l during CAB and 256.3 +/- 115.1 microg/l during BRC treatment) and were normalized after 6 months in all patients (CAB: 7.9 +/- 2.2 microg/l; BRC: 16.7 +/- 1.8 microg/l). After 6 months, a significant increase of number, total motility, rapid progression and normal morphology was recorded in patients treated with both CAB and BRC. An increase in the number of erections during the first 3 months of both treatments was noted by NPT. However, the improvements in seminal fluid parameters and sexual function were more evident and rapid in patients treated with CAB. The number of erections was normalized after 6 months of treatment in all patients submitted to CAB treatment, and in all patients but one treated by BRC. In addition, a significant increase of serum testosterone (from 3.7 +/- 0.3 to 5.3 +/- 0.2 microg/l) and dihydrotestosterone (from 0.4 +/- 0.1 to 1.1 +/- 0.1 nmol/l) was recorded. At the beginning of treatment, mild side-effects were recorded in two patients after CAB and mild-to-moderate side-effects in five patients after BRC administration. The treatment with CAB normalized PRL levels, improving gonadal and sexual function and fertility in males with prolactinoma, earlier than did BRC treatment, providing good tolerability and excellent patient compliance to medical treatment.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9539303

Edited by VICREP, 30 August 2014 - 02:02 AM.

• Informative x 1
  • Cheerful x 1
  • like x 1

#26 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 02:08 AM

Do you have studies supporting the link between excess prolactin and DHT?

Although I don't believe there to be any true direct relationship between the two, studies have shown that LOWERING prolactin can actually INCREASE DHT

Cabergoline treatment rapidly improves gonadal function in hyperprolactinemic males: a comparison with bromocriptine.

Abstract

This study evaluated the effects of chronic treatment with cabergoline (CAB), a new, potent and long-lasting ergoline-derived dopamine agonist, on seminal fluid parameters and sexual and gonadal function in hyperprolactinemic males in comparison with the effect of bromocriptine (BRC) treatment. Seventeen males with macroprolactinoma were treated with CAB at a dose of 0.5-1.5 mg/week (n = 7), or BRC at a dose of 5-15 mg/day (n = 10) for 6 months. Baseline prolactin (PRL) was 925.7 +/- 522.6 microg/l in the CAB-treated group and 1059.4 +/- 297.6 microg/l in the BRC-treated group. All the patients suffered from libido impairment, ten from reduced sexual potency, and six had infertility. In five patients provocative bilateral galactorrhea was found. Seminal fluid analysis, functional seminal tests and penis rigidity and tumescence, measured by nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) using Rigiscan equipment, were assessed before and after 1, 3 and 6 months of CAB or BRC treatment. Hormone profiles were assessed before and after 15, 30, 60, 90 and 180 days of both treatments. Before treatment, all patients had a low sperm count with oligoasthenospermia, reduced motility and rapid progression with an abnormal morphology and decreased viability, and a low number of erections. After 1 month, serum PRL levels were significantly reduced in both groups of patients (20.6 +/- 6.6 microg/l during CAB and 256.3 +/- 115.1 microg/l during BRC treatment) and were normalized after 6 months in all patients (CAB: 7.9 +/- 2.2 microg/l; BRC: 16.7 +/- 1.8 microg/l). After 6 months, a significant increase of number, total motility, rapid progression and normal morphology was recorded in patients treated with both CAB and BRC. An increase in the number of erections during the first 3 months of both treatments was noted by NPT. However, the improvements in seminal fluid parameters and sexual function were more evident and rapid in patients treated with CAB. The number of erections was normalized after 6 months of treatment in all patients submitted to CAB treatment, and in all patients but one treated by BRC. In addition, a significant increase of serum testosterone (from 3.7 +/- 0.3 to 5.3 +/- 0.2 microg/l) and dihydrotestosterone (from 0.4 +/- 0.1 to 1.1 +/- 0.1 nmol/l) was recorded. At the beginning of treatment, mild side-effects were recorded in two patients after CAB and mild-to-moderate side-effects in five patients after BRC administration. The treatment with CAB normalized PRL levels, improving gonadal and sexual function and fertility in males with prolactinoma, earlier than did BRC treatment, providing good tolerability and excellent patient compliance to medical treatment.

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/9539303

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/2943108

http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/6708543

[quote]Female rats of the Sprague-Dawley strain were used. Two pituitaries from 9-week old rats were grafted in both kidneys of 21-day old rat to induce hyperprolactinemia. All rats with or without pituitary isografts were hypophysectomized on day 26. Starting from day 29, the rats in groups of 8-11 were injected daily with 5 micrograms NIH-LH-S19 or saline for 3 days. Ovarian homogenates from these rats on day 32 were incubated with [14C]4-androstene-3,17-dione or [3H]progesterone and steroid metabolism was estimated. In the hypophysectomized rat ovary, the 5 alpha-reductase activity was stimulated significantly by LH. Although pituitary isograft alone had no stimulative effect on 5 alpha-reductase activity of the hypophysectomized rat ovary, concomitant treatment with LH and pituitary isograft (prolactin) had an additive effect. Formation of the sum of C19-steroids from progesterone in the hypophysectomized rat ovary was stimulated markedly by LH but reduced slightly by prolactin. The LH-induced production of C19-steroids from progesterone was inhibited markedly by prolactin. These results indicate that prolactin treatment inhibits basal and LH-induced production of C19-steroids from progesterone but stimulates LH-induced 4-ene-5 alpha-reductase activity in immature rat ovary.[/quote]

[quote]Abstract

Two pituitaries from 7-week-old female rats were grafted under the capsule of the left kidney of 50-day-old male rat to induce hyperprolactinemia. All of the pituitary-grafted and sham-operated rats were hypophysectomized at 56 days of age. The hypophysectomized rats in groups of 4 were given daily sc injections of saline or 9 micrograms NIADDK-ovine-(o)LH-23 for 4 and 5 days starting from days 58 and 70, respectively (short and long term hypophysectomized groups). The metabolism of [3H]progesterone or [14C]androstenedione by testicular homogenates, concentrations of testosterone and 5 alpha-androgens (androsterone plus 5 alpha-androstane-3 alpha, 17 beta-diol) in the serum and testes, and testicular LH receptors were estimated. Hypophysectomy caused significant decreases in testicular enzyme activities per gram of tissue, androgen production, and testicular LH receptors. In the testes of hypophysectomized rats, LH treatment significantly stimulated 5 alpha-reductase and 17-hydroxylase activities. Although pituitary grafts alone showed little or no effect on these testicular enzyme activities, hyperprolactinemia induced by the grafts markedly enhanced the LH-stimulated 5 alpha-reductase activity in both groups, especially in the long term hypophysectomized group. Therefore, androsterone and 5 alpha-androstane-3 alpha,17 beta-diol were shown to be the major C19-steroid products (immature type of testicular androgen production) in the LH- and PRL-stimulated testes of long term hypophysectomized adult rats. On the other hand, hyperprolactinemia was associated with a significant inhibition and a slight increase of the LH-stimulated 17-hydroxylase activities in the short and long term hypophysectomized groups, respectively. This difference can be attributed to both a PRL-induced increase in testicular LH receptors and a PRL-induced inhibition of 17-hydroxylase via a postreceptor mechanism(s). The present findings demonstrate for the first time that PRL directly stimulates LH-induced 5 alpha-reductase activity in the testes. It appears that PRL may play a role in the increased production of 5 alpha-C19-steroids and the parallel decrease of testosterone production in immature rat testes.[/quote[

• WellResearched x 4
  • Informative x 2
  • Good Point x 1

#27 William Sterog

• 505 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:00 AM

Ummm... I was thinking about taking Safflower's oil caps to inhibit DHT and help me with hairloss but now I may change my mind... Do you think that Safflower's oil can be used directly into the hair without any undesirable side effects?

#28 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 10:46 AM

Ummm... I was thinking about taking Safflower's oil caps to inhibit DHT and help me with hairloss but now I may change my mind... Do you think that Safflower's oil can be used directly into the hair without any undesirable side effects?

Probably yes, and it is a far better alternative to Drugs...in either case, herbal DHT inhibitors are generally the lesser of the evils. However, I've seen people complaining about beta sitosterol causing mood wrings and loss of sensation / erectile function.

Though I would tend to believe that would require high doses of Beta-Sitosterol.

Such as with taking a brand name prostate supplement and then adding turmeric and suma and the whole shit ton of other herbs that contain BS.

• WellResearched x 5
  • Good Point x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • like x 1
  • dislike x 1

#29 Area-1255

• Topic Starter
  • 1,515 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:30 PM

Even the common supplement Maca contains beta-sitosterol, I mean there is just a long list of supplements most people aren't aware of containing Beta-Sitosterol.

Of particular interest in regards to chemical composition - is Pine Pollen.

Pine Pollen is used in many supplements (e,g Anti-Estrogens) today because it contains a strong aromatase inhibitor (DHAA-DehydroAbietic Acid), in addition 

Pine Pollen also contains DHEA, Brassinosteroids, Androstenedione (a prohormone/pheromone) and some growth factors.

• WellResearched x 4
  • Well Written x 1
  • Informative x 1
  • Good Point x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#30 progress_

• 17 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

Most guys function well on finasteride despite the horror stories, although there is definitely a risk.

There are new treatments in the horizon, wnt based stuff like what the company histogen is developing. These have already been proven to be effective in studies too.

Go to http://www.balanceha...-stem-cells.pdf or www.histogen.com for examples. Also the companies follica and replicel both have very promising treatments. The keyword for all these == no messing with DHT and most likely a better potential for regrowth than finasteride and/or minox.

With some of these treatments you could probably halt hairloss and regrow hair over time with one or a few rounds of injections a year (after an initial loading phase) instead of taking fina every day.

-> The only problem is that there seems to be a hair-loss-cure equivivalent to "development hell". I'm pretty sure that some of these cures can be reproduced with a group-buy type effort, and being the first to sell a real effective hair-loss cure would mean $$$$$ for that person/organization. Having some of the resident providers of "future medicines" getting into this market would be a great win/win for them and many ppl who are genetically programmed to go bald (including many many women who are poor responders to dht based treatments).

Your genes sets a framework for a lot of your life, things you can do, things you cannot do ect, and hairloss is one of those things that equals a disadvantage for almost everyone who is affected by it without providing any advantages in return (especially when it starts @ an early age). One of the great promises of technological advancement and transhumanism is the ability to override the effect of such randomly selected genetical disadvantages that sets the tone for your life, and instead replacing it with the ability to decide what you want regardless of what nature selected for you. THAT is REAL freedom!

Edited by progress_, 01 September 2014 - 08:50 PM.

• Well Written x 1

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dht and the brain, androgens, what is dht, dihydrotestostero

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users