• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
- - - - -

Would oral selegiline in MAOI-B doses increase histamine levels?

selegiline histamine

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 chziime

• 52 posts
  • NO

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:02 PM

When I tried EMSAM (transdermal selegiline) at 6mg/24hr, I had rashes and prickliness and all-over-the-body itching almost immediately after placing the patch. A new psychiatrist I see now says that a good amount, maybe 20%, of EMSAM users have an allergy to the adhesive. I do, however, have a history of histamine "intolerance..." Modafinil would give me horrible rashes on my legs and feet, and certain foods, especially fermented ones, are triggers. I currently take Remeron as an antidepressant, and its antihistamine action ceased the ~noticeable~ effects of histamine in my system. Now, I'm retrying Selegiline for ADD (you can tell by my post that I have ADD!) at 2.5mg/day orally, and I'm wondering if such a low dose would inhibit the breakdown of histamine?

Wikipedia says: "Several other enzymes, including MAO-B and ALDH2, further process the immediate metabolites of histamine for excretion or recycling." Would that still mean a build-up of histamine, or just some relatively harmless metabolites? Thanks for any help. As of taking my first 2.5mg dose of selegiline, I don't feel any itchiness, but I don't want to be aware of every little thing that may happen on my skin.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: selegiline, histamine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users