• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

What is the best and permanent way to up-regulate Dopamine receptors long term ?

dopamine upregulation libido

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 forexworld12

• 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 November 2014 - 03:00 PM

Hi, I am a 21 year old ...I was on multiple antidepressant escitalopram paxil and two other anti-psychotic ..... I have since left it a year ago.. the last time I took an ssri(paxil) I suffered from a reaction after taking  - I could feel my emotions going away and since then I am in state of Ahnedonia and my Libido is close to 0 and gentials are numb(Known as PSSD) ...I have identified my problem - My Dopamine receptors are completely Down-regulated and doesn't respond TO stimuli  - It's been like a year ......

I have been given some suggestion like Tianeptine, pitolisant, 9-methyl-beta-carboline by a knowledgeable member here however I find people say with tianeptine tolerance is an issue . 

Generally what other stuff can make an permanent effect of dopamine up-regulation that works forever and doesn't have such tolerance ? 

thanks

• Ill informed x 1

#2 meatsauce

• 329 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Look into the peptide bpc 157 as well. Use the power of meditation to rewire you brain as well.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 02:33 AM

You do not have a dopamine problem...

Traditional antipsychotics upregulate dopamine receptors. Most SSRIs do not have affinity for and indirectly have little affect on dopamine receptors; downregulation isn't a concern. Forget trying to upregulate dopamine receptors as they weren't downregulated in the first place.

You are still depressed, as is evident by the anhedonia. Your best course of action for a resolve to your problems would be to continue treatment for depression, perhaps try an MAOI instead of an SSRI.

#4 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 04:14 AM

Anti-psychotic are shits

No, An adverse reaction to one of the ssri's can down-regulate Dopamine receptors.. I'm not depressed .. I just have Ahnedonia + dead libido ..now this makes me depressed and not depression itself .

I am 101% sure my Receptors are down-regulated I have no doubt about it . 

Come on  Any other permanent suggestion guys that doesn't develop tolerance ?

Edited by forexworld12, 22 November 2014 - 04:35 AM.

• dislike x 1

#5 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:42 AM

Anti-psychotic are shits (<<<Doesn't make the fact that they induce dopamine upregulation go away)

No, An adverse reaction to one of the ssri's can down-regulate Dopamine receptors.. I'm not depressed .. I just have Ahnedonia + dead libido ..now this makes me depressed and not depression itself .

I am 101% sure my Receptors are down-regulated I have no doubt about it . (101%....fascinating)

Come on  (Did you really just say 'Come on') Any other permanent suggestion guys that doesn't develop tolerance ?

Did you just make this up?  Please provide evidence showing that SSRIs can induce severe dopamine downregulation.

Anhedonia and low libido are symptoms of depression, major depression. You can't be sure nor can a professional be sure your receptors are downregulated without taking a slice of your brain out and looking at density of dopamine receptors in a given region.... "101% sure".  A good approximation could be made however with PET/MRI.

Come on? Come on and what? Provide evidence that antipsychotics induce dopamine upregulation?

Increased dopamine D2 receptor binding after long-term treatment with antipsychotics in humans: a clinical PET study.

Dopamine D2 and D3 Receptor Occupancy in Normal Humans Treated with the Antipsychotic Drug Aripiprazole (OPC 14597): A Study Using Positron Emission Tomography and [11C]Raclopride

Or come on and show you that even SSRIs effect on dopamine is miniscule? Look up the binding affinity for any SSRI and it's effect on dopamine receptor subtypes. Most are inconsequential.

Here's a study showing that an SSRI can even induce upregulation....

Chronic Fluoxetine Selectively Upregulates Dopamine D1-Like Receptors in the Hippocampus

No doubt about it, huh? Your reasoning makes no sense, your disliking of my post and reply itself was rude and uncalled for. You're trying to treat something that you do not have (dopamine downregulation) and are refusing to accept anything that's contrary as you are 101% certain.

• WellResearched x 2
  • dislike x 2
  • like x 1
  • Disagree x 1

#6 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:52 AM

you know maybe you're right .Look I apologize  if you felt I was rude, I wasn't and it was not my intention ..! I undo my ratings for you and I apologize again - However I do not wish to further discuss this .. 

I am just searching for a safe and chronic way to up-regulate dopamine receptors - that would be it so let's stick to that !  :)

• Agree x 1

#7 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:55 AM

you know maybe you're right .Look I apologize  if you felt I was rude, I wasn't and it was not my intention ..! I undo my ratings for you and I apologize again - However I do not wish to further discuss this .. 

I am just searching for a safe and chronic way to up-regulate dopamine receptors - that would be it so let's stick to that !  :)

As for upregulating dopamine:

Phenylpiracetam and Sulbutiamine are both known to induce dopamine receptor upregulation.

Antipsychotics can also upregulate dopamine but I would not put them in the safe category.

• like x 1

#8 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:00 AM

Up-regulating dopamine should allievate Ahnedonia and bring emotions back as I have read in this forum .I am surely not depressed I just feel like a zombie after having an adverse reaction to 1 pill of paxil it took away all my emotions ..

Yes but I read tolerance with Phenylpiracetam is an issue - very fast , Is the effects from  Sulbutiamine permanent ? or is it to be used forever ? -- 

I have tried anti-psychotics like trifluoperazine, risperidone and olenazapine but I didn't see any effects from them ... Since dopamine plays An important role in treating ahnedonia something that doesn't develop tolerance would be amazing.. I read about cdp-choline in mr happy stack.. something like that !

Edited by forexworld12, 22 November 2014 - 06:01 AM.

#9 Gorthaur

• 139 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:30 AM

Permanently upregulating dopamine receptors is much more difficult than curing cancer at this time, no joke. Tianeptine will make your problem worse in the long run, though it is a very good antidepressant in the short term. I agree with FW900 that you might want to try some different antidepressants. My strongest recommendation, though, is that you try a neurogenic drug like NSI-189. With neurogenesis, you can grow new brain cells which are unaffected by past drug use or life experiences. Regular cardio exercise and a BDNF promoter like SEMAX will make the effect even stronger. 

• like x 2

#10 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:10 AM

Lol....

Yes I have read about NSI-189 . it sound like a great drug.. I read though it lowers the libido and since I already has low libido - pssd That is post ssri sexual dysfunction due to persistent de-sentisization of serotonin receptors I am a bit hesitant .. though i'll look into it more . I don't know what other antidepressants i should try except ssri or snri's .. i have tried wellbutrin xl 150mg - doesn't do anything while 300mg xl makes all the problem worse !

Edited by forexworld12, 22 November 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#11 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 05:10 PM

Phenylpiracetam and Sulbutiamine are both known to induce dopamine receptor upregulation.

Antipsychotics can also upregulate dopamine but I would not put them in the safe category.

PHENYL PIRACETAM FOREX...THAT'S THE ONE I COULDN'T REMEMBER...MY GOD.

Phenotropil and tianeptine plus pitolisant would result in a x6-7 receptor expression INCREASE.

I'm gonna try this combo as well for experimentation purposes...eventually when I get the money .

I'll make a log on it when I do this.

Edited by Area-1255, 22 November 2014 - 05:10 PM.

• like x 4

#12 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

Phenotropil and tianeptine plus pitolisant would result in a x6-7 receptor expression INCREASE.

I'm gonna try this combo as well for experimentation purposes...eventually when I get the money .

Yes jason but what about theh MAIN THING - TOLERANCE ?  

Most people report tolerance with phentropil and tianpetine and suddenly it stops working ....if this happens can something be done to reverse the tolerance ?

#13 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:30 PM

Most people report tolerance with phentropil and tianpetine and suddenly it stops working ....if this happens can something be done to reverse the tolerance ?

I very much so doubt that with all three of those , any sort of tolerance will occur. At least not enough to over ride the benefit, and there is no evidence that the brain has any negative feedback against h3 blockade ----- which means that being it is negative feedback manipulation itself ----- you wouldn't have to worry !

Edited by Area-1255, 22 November 2014 - 11:31 PM.

• Agree x 1

#14 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 22 November 2014 - 11:42 PM

Upregulation is typically the result of tolerance (a substance, decreases the amount of a NT, usually via antagonism is causing your brain to increase the density of receptors in a given region to compensate).

It doesn't matter it "stops working" you are trying to induce dopamine upregulation, you aren't taking them for their effects. You will get tolerance to the drugs' effects but as long as you are taking it, dopamine receptors in theory should upregulate by compounds known to cause it.

• dislike x 1

#15 StevesPetRat

• 565 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:17 AM

Aside from the stuff already mentioned here, which is very good, you know what seemed to help restore my dopamine function? A monthlong break from internet browsing. Seriously. The constant seek-reward-seek again cycle of scrolling through articles and fora really messes me up over time, I think. It's like those "nofap" guys except my addiction isn't pulling my pud, it's raw information. I was also exercising regularly at the time.

Give it a shot... you might be surprised. Throw some mindfulness meditation in there, for good measure.

It couldn't hurt, right?

• like x 2
  • Agree x 1

#16 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 04:58 AM

Upregulation is typically the result of tolerance (a substance, decreases the amount of a NT, usually via antagonism is causing your brain to increase the density of receptors in a given region to compensate).

It doesn't matter it "stops working" you are trying to induce dopamine upregulation, you aren't taking them for their effects. You will get tolerance to the drugs' effects but as long as you are taking it, dopamine receptors in theory should upregulate by compounds known to cause it.

Antipsychotics actually downregulate dopamine receptors to some extent:

http://jpet.aspetjou.../281/1/597.full

http://www.pnas.org/...pe2=tf_ipsecsha

They also shrink your brain long-term so I wouldn't suggest that crap.

• Good Point x 1

#17 FW900

• 341 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:04 AM

Antipsychotics actually downregulate dopamine receptors to some extent:

http://jpet.aspetjou.../281/1/597.full

http://www.pnas.org/...pe2=tf_ipsecsha

They also shrink your brain long-term so I wouldn't suggest that crap.

I was pointing them out as they are known to cause upregulation in the long term. My point was, that the problems attributed to antipsychotics are not the result of dopamine downregulation.

Regarding the studies you cited and their ability to downregulate:  Some (not all) antipsychotics have a mixed mechanism of action and bind as partial agonists to some dopamine subtypes. With this in mind, yes, downregulation in a concern. Will it be significant as say a releasing agent or direct agonist? Likely not.

As a class of medications, traditional antipsychotics act as antagonists to dopamine receptors. As a result of the antagonism, there is less dopamine and as a means to maintain homeostasis, your brain will begin to compensate by increasing the density of (i.e., upregulate) dopamine receptors

Please don't get me wrong here. They will royally screw you up, are known to cause memory deficits, brain gray matter decreases, host of side effects. The OP mentioned his use of them, hence my mention of them to show that they did not cause downregulation. I am by no means suggesting them to anyone.

Edited by FW900, 23 November 2014 - 07:05 AM.

• Pointless, Timewasting x 1
  • dislike x 1

#18 Galaxyshock

• 1,468 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

As a class of medications, traditional antipsychotics act as antagonists to dopamine receptors. As a result of the antagonism, there is less dopamine and as a means to maintain homeostasis, your brain will begin to compensate by increasing the density of (i.e., upregulate) dopamine receptors

The thing is, it doesn't always go like this. I think it was dopamine D4 receptor that doesn't downregulate in response to agonism which is why tolerance doesn't develope in adhd treatment. Meanwhile for example 5-ht2a receptor downregulates in response to both agonism and antagonism. Increase in tyrosine hydroxylase is probably more relevant in the compensatory mechanism of brain as response to dopamine antagonism of neuroleptics.

• like x 1

#19 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:44 AM

I very much so doubt that with all three of those , any sort of tolerance will occur. At least not enough to over ride the benefit, and there is no evidence that the brain has any negative feedback against h3 blockade ----- which means that being it is negative feedback manipulation itself ----- you wouldn't have to worry !

Thanks jason, I hope so with these 3 they work long term to reverse downregulation = reverse ahnedonia 

Yes but up-regulation dopamine so that it responds to stimuli has it own benefit and effects right, I do hope it works for as long as i am taking them !

#20 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

Jason  also since the major cause of my or other's PSSD is = persistent desensitization of various serotonin receptors following the use of ssri's  esp 5HT2C, 5HT2A and  5HTIA= so more serotonin is floating around the brain inhibiting various other neurotransmitter's and their function and  I looked in the blog and it says to Agonize 5HT2C eg like trazodone ... 

Wouldn't antagonizing this receptor be better 

Something like Agomelatine  ?

By antagonizing 5-HT2C receptors, it disinhibits/increases noradrenaline and dopamine release specifically in the frontal cortex ?

#21 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:01 AM

What does everyone think about  ..

mianserin ?

It blocks the SERT. It acts as an antagonist on various serotonin receptors and is also an antagonist at h1 histamine receptor . it also acts as a  kappa opioid receptor agonist ..

Not only that it also enchances dopamine - http://www.ncbi.nlm..../pubmed/8741935

And how about memantine ?  Doesn't it up-regulate dopamine too and reverses ahnedonia 

Edited by forexworld12, 23 November 2014 - 09:04 AM.

#22 Fenix_

• 183 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:44 AM

You do not have a dopamine problem...

Traditional antipsychotics upregulate dopamine receptors. Most SSRIs do not have affinity for and indirectly have little affect on dopamine receptors; downregulation isn't a concern. Forget trying to upregulate dopamine receptors as they weren't downregulated in the first place.

You are still depressed, as is evident by the anhedonia. Your best course of action for a resolve to your problems would be to continue treatment for depression, perhaps try an MAOI instead of an SSRI.

Why do you suggest continuing traditional antidepressant therapy? Is it not common for SSRIs to basically be inefficacious or cause terrible side effects? Because that is what I gather from reading about SSRIs online, though I have never been treated with SSRIs. I was on wellbutrin once and all it did was make me feel terribly anxious and paranoid.

#23 innova

• 3 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:34 PM

Inositol upregulates dopamine D2 receptors: Link

Edited by innova, 23 November 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#24 Area-1255

• 1,515 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

Inositol upregulates dopamine D2 receptors: Link

IN THE STRIATUM, YES. Always read the fine print, but for anhedonia we would need upregulation in other areas, like the VTA/PVN/Thalamus ----- without the study being specific as to whether it can also do this in other brain regions - it's difficult to take account this way or give any credibility to the Inositol program.

In TERMS of BEHAVIOR and MOTIVATION - then increases in this area may be *somewhat relevant, but we need other areas to be in tune as well - which is where more broad acting chemicals like TIANEPTINE may be warranted.

• like x 1

#25 ZHMike

• 227 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

so area-1255. any recommendations for a more complete upregulation?

#26 Dwayde3

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:27 PM

Anti-psychotic are shits (<<<Doesn't make the fact that they induce dopamine upregulation go away)

I am 101% sure my Receptors are down-regulated I have no doubt about it . (101%....fascinating)

Come on  (Did you really just say 'Come on') Any other permanent suggestion guys that doesn't develop tolerance ?

Did you just make this up?  Please provide evidence showing that SSRIs can induce severe dopamine downregulation.

Anhedonia and low libido are symptoms of depression, major depression. You can't be sure nor can a professional be sure your receptors are downregulated without taking a slice of your brain out and looking at density of dopamine receptors in a given region.... "101% sure".  A good approximation could be made however with PET/MRI.

Come on? Come on and what? Provide evidence that antipsychotics induce dopamine upregulation?

Increased dopamine D2 receptor binding after long-term treatment with antipsychotics in humans: a clinical PET study.

Dopamine D2 and D3 Receptor Occupancy in Normal Humans Treated with the Antipsychotic Drug Aripiprazole (OPC 14597): A Study Using Positron Emission Tomography and [11C]Raclopride

Or come on and show you that even SSRIs effect on dopamine is miniscule? Look up the binding affinity for any SSRI and it's effect on dopamine receptor subtypes. Most are inconsequential.

Here's a study showing that an SSRI can even induce upregulation....

Chronic Fluoxetine Selectively Upregulates Dopamine D1-Like Receptors in the Hippocampus

No doubt about it, huh? Your reasoning makes no sense, your disliking of my post and reply itself was rude and uncalled for. You're trying to treat something that you do not have (dopamine downregulation) and are refusing to accept anything that's contrary as you are 101% certain.

I agree with this 100% because I've experienced it and am now doing 100% better. I never even thought until you mentioned it that the reason I was still experiencing anhedonia was do to the fact that I was still depressed. I was on fluvoxamine 150mg for about six months and yeah I thought I felt better but it wasn't until I asked to up the dose to 300mg that I started to really feel better. My anhedonia has since then disappeared and my focus is 100% better. It's turning winter here but while it was fall I was finally able to experience pleasure in the environment e.g. the sun, the leaves, car drives etc... I'm sure I'll be able to experience pleasure in the winter environment also. This post is spot on and shouldn't be ignored!  

#27 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

Aside from the stuff already mentioned here, which is very good, you know what seemed to help restore my dopamine function? A monthlong break from internet browsing. Seriously. The constant seek-reward-seek again cycle of scrolling through articles and fora really messes me up over time, I think. It's like those "nofap" guys except my addiction isn't pulling my pud, it's raw information. I was also exercising regularly at the time.

Give it a shot... you might be surprised. Throw some mindfulness meditation in there, for good measure.

It couldn't hurt, right?

Honestly, kudos to this man. I've felt the same way, that haphazardly scrolling the net does damage in the same sense as always looking at porn does. While I haven't done a full month sans internet (again, kudos) I do go a few days without or a week at a drastic reduction, and I always feel better. 

I think there's a lot to this, well said StevesPetRat.

As per the OP, I've been using very low-dose sulbutiamine a few days a week, along with phenylpiracetam and daily, multiple cups of gynostemma, on top of cutting back on caffeine, vigorous exercise multiple 5 times a week, meditation, etc. I went through some inositol a while back but at a much lower dosage than I've read people using on the boards for this sort of thing, mainly because I didn't have much. I have noticed great improvements, but was never depressed to begin with, just had some slight general apathy. Also, along the lines of what Area-1255 said, I'm not sure if any of these interventions help specifically with the anhedonia aspect of dopamine down regulation, but I've noticed improvement. Remember to get plenty of exercise, meditate and try to limit the rapid seek-reward-seek behavior mentioned above.

• Agree x 1

#28 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:49 PM

Thank you everyone and esp Jason for the responses , Love it . thanks everyone 

@ dwayde63 -  It's quite strange an ssri - which is famous for blunting mode can actually reverse ahnedonia . I guess it may be unrelated but it won't help people who has dopamine downregulation cuased by porn - forced masturbating 3 times in a row 

#29 Dwayde3

• 25 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:29 PM

If the ahnedonia is being CAUSED by depression I don't think it should be a huge shock that an ssri would help. Coming from me a person who has tried every stimulant besides dex amp and including (I've been scripted them) Nuvigil/Provigil I would venture to say stims aren't always the answer. It may take some trial and error adjusting meds/doses, I say this because I was on Fluvoxamine for 6 months at 150mg and like I said I thought I felt my best but it wasn't until we upped the dose to 300mg that I now feel my best. Yes ssri's do cause numbing but it beats being an emotional wreck 24/7. There has to be a BALANCE. When I was in school (K-12 not college) I was always depressed it wasn't always like that it started around 7th grade (puberty) I had a psychotic episode due to MPH (concerta) I developed the delusional thought that I stunk and began to obsess over it and other things. I'll spare time and won't go into the full story but here's what I'll share I was put on risperdal and while I still obsessed I was functiong a little better. Eventually the symptoms went away and I was taken off the medicine. Fast Foward to high school where I had my second psychotic episode once again I won't go into detail but I was eventually hospitalized and put back on risperdal and added klonopin and an ssri this has been my combo ever since. Yes I've switched ssri's but this is one of my points it's a trial and error process with medication and the dose of the medication. And you may think what does this have to do with dopamine upregulation? I thought your exact post at one time "I don't respond to stimuli it must be dopamine down-regulation I need a stim" and like I said I was scripted every stim their is and they did nothing. I'm not saying in your case or in someone elses case that they won't or can't help with this issue but this issue CAN be caused by something else so keep your mind open also I'm not really sure if your saying you need a stim so sorry if this comes across the wrong way. Like I said FW900 post is dead on. Hope this helps in some way!

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 forexworld12

• Topic Starter
  • 150 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

But effects are direct result of dopamine up-regulation .. If D receptors up-regulate = Reversal of emotional mood blunting . so as long as the receptors are up-regulated the reversal "effect" should be permanent as well 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dopamine, upregulation, libido

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users