- - - - -

Mucuna Pruriens- safety, dosage and uses

mucuna pruriens

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cylon

• 126 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:37 PM

Reading lots of mixed reports about the safety and posssible uses for this Indian herb. I assume it is NOT safe to use daily. Can anyone recommend a good brand and what their experience has been?

#2 β-Endorphin

• 66 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

It seems like the judge is out on the safety of Mucuna Pruriens, as their are really no studies on this area of it's use. However, one can make assumptions on the effects of long term use; Mucuna Pruriens contains a lot of L-dopa that is rapidly converted into large amount of Dopamine in the brain. Thus Mucuna Pruriens, just like psychostimulants(amphetamine, Ritalin etc.) and dopamine agonists would increase dopaminergic signalling temporarily, probably resulting in euphoria, clarity of thought, increased motivation, increased sex drive, overall increases in focus/concentration and energy etc.

However, just like psychostimulants, the dopamine receptors will probably downregulate and the brain will slow down production of dopamine, resulting in withdrawal symptoms if you quit Mucuna Pruriens after long term use. Interestingly, mucuna pruriens seems to increases dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain, probably because it contains some 5-htp along with the L-dopa, so serotonin depletion is not really an issue.

Mucuna Also seems to have much less side effects than pure L-dopa, though I think more studies are needed to prove this conclusively.

I haven't tried it myself, but It seems like it could have great therapeutic potential in parkinsons disease and sexual infertability. But then again, so does psychostimulants like amphetamine and ritalin...

• like x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#3 GoingPrimal

• 264 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

I would definitely recommend cycling it. I always try to play things on the safe side, wouldn't go more than two weeks on without a 1-2 week break, def think a month on with a two week break would be the max you should do. It certainly does help with mood, motivation and libido..
  • like x 1

#4 kimrick

• 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:25 PM

Theanine, Tyrosine, Rhodiola and Mucuna  all result in increased brain dopamine levels.... but I've found it difficult to ascertain whether their long-term use results in the supression of endogenous natural dopamine synthesis in the brain - permanently.... or perhaps dopamine receptor damage.... both of which could ultimately be catastrophic. I'm aware that unlike some other neurotransmitter systems the dopamine system is a special case and extreme caution must be exercised.

Regardless, I have been using one (NOW) Dopa Mucuna cap (400 mg @ 15%) with breakfast and 1 to 2 g of Tyrosine (Powder City) at ~ 5PM, one hr before dinner, and two hrs after the last protein consumption.

The most significant effect has been an amazing reduction of my forever insomnia.  I'm sleeping 6 hrs per night now vs 2-3 hrs previously.  Astonishing.  Sooo, there's not much likelihood that I'll be dropping this protocol in the near future. But I worry about possible endogenous dopamine supression and dopamine receptor damage.

I will update this post if anything significant changes, and I would vastly appreciate any observations by those with experience, training and knowledge about the dopamine system, and dopamine supplements.  Hope to hear from you.

sponsored ad

• Advert
Click HERE to rent this advertising spot for BRAIN HEALTH to support LongeCity (this will replace the google ad above).

#5 Flex

• 1,629 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:50 PM

It seems like the judge is out on the safety of Mucuna Pruriens, as their are really no studies on this area of it's use. However, one can make assumptions on the effects of long term use; Mucuna Pruriens contains a lot of L-dopa that is rapidly converted into large amount of Dopamine in the brain. Thus Mucuna Pruriens, just like psychostimulants(amphetamine, Ritalin etc.) and dopamine agonists would increase dopaminergic signalling temporarily, probably resulting in euphoria, clarity of thought, increased motivation, increased sex drive, overall increases in focus/concentration and energy etc.

However, just like psychostimulants, the dopamine receptors will probably downregulate and the brain will slow down production of dopamine, resulting in withdrawal symptoms if you quit Mucuna Pruriens after long term use. Interestingly, mucuna pruriens seems to increases dopamine and serotonin levels in the brain, probably because it contains some 5-htp along with the L-dopa, so serotonin depletion is not really an issue.

Mucuna Also seems to have much less side effects than pure L-dopa, though I think more studies are needed to prove this conclusively.

I haven't tried it myself, but It seems like it could have great therapeutic potential in parkinsons disease and sexual infertability. But then again, so does psychostimulants like amphetamine and ritalin...

Have to second this. There are , as far as I know, some additional compound in the herb that dampens the negative effect of L-dopa like dsykinesias.

Excuses that I dont provide any propper references but I´m too lazy..

Nevertheless, You could consider it as a hint and prove my claims.

Heres one:

Antiparkinson drug--Mucuna pruriens shows antioxidant and metal chelating activity.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/18064727

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mucuna pruriens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users