• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression: help me build a nootropic stack?

deprenyl depression

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 Sarif

• 69 posts

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hi Friends,

Though I have been following longecity for a long time now this is my first post here. I'm a 26 year old male. I've been suffering depression almost my whole life. I also have severe social anxiety, ADHD and daytime sleepiness. Until recently I tried to battle these monsters via cognitive therapy and sheer will power. But I've realized that's not enough and I can't live up to my full potential unless I seek some external help. While depression and social anxiety is my main problem I want to control my racing mind and daytime sleepiness first, because until I can control these two problems, I can't even begin to fight the other two. I've started experimenting with nootropics lately. The things that I tried so far are - Modafinil, Ashwagandha, Bacopa, Prozac, Selegiline, l-tyrosine, l-dopa and different types of vitamins and minerals. Here are the results-

1. So far the only thing that helped Selegiline. I've taking 5 mg of  Selegiline per day for the last 2 weeks. 
    First few days I felt considerable difference in motivation and alertness. It felt like I've found the perfect solution. 
    But after that the effect subsided and now I hardly feel any difference. Also it's hard to sleep when you take 5 mg of  Selegiline each day
  2. I had very bad experience with modafinil. Won't take this again.
  3. Ashwagandha, Bacopa: Felt very mild calmness. Too mild to notice.
  4. Magnesium supplement: this is the only supplement that helps me sleep.
  5. Tyrosine makes me too emotional. Which is a big no-no as I'm already extremely sensitive in nature.. 

Now I need your help to build a nootropic stack that'll keep me alert and clear minded and energetic throughout the day(if it helps with depression and social anxiety, that's a bonus), or may be a way to bring back the first few day's effect of Selegiline. Waiting for your suggestions. Please let me know if you want further information.

Thanks,

Sarif

#2 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:30 PM

If modafinil gave you a negative experience, I recommend using Clonidine to get to sleep. It lowers norepinephrine body-wide, amongst other things. I can go into more detail if you wish.

Tyrosine is going to be a good deal stronger on 5mg of selegiline, as tyrosine increases dopamine production and selegiline prevents its breakdown. You could try a much smaller dose.

Since you are on Selegiline, Wellbutrin might be a good approach for your ADHD. It's only a mild DAT inhibitor (Dopamine Reuptake Inhibitor), but this effect will be more potent w/ selegiline.

Bacopa takes 8-12 weeks to take full effect. How long did you take it? What brand did you use?

In some people, dopamine and serotonin need to be balanced out. You might want to consider taking 5-HTP at night (you need to take it with EGCG so it properly reaches the brain), to increase serotonin.

The first thing I would start with, as far as supplements/drugs, is the clonidine.

When it comes to your willpower approach, how do you handle it? Have you dabbled in meditation?

• Informative x 1

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#3 Remington

• 15 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:45 PM

I might have a few suggestions since I somewhat have had the same problems In the past. How's your diet? You'd be surprised on how much better you feel when you clean up your diet. Plus HIT training or even general exercise can boost confidence which can take away the social anxiety.
As for the depression...

Attached File  Screenshot_2015-03-01-22-09-36.png   494.7KB   11 downloads

Also piracetam helps with conversation and social anxiety but if your diet is bad the piracetam may not work for you until you clean it up ok just a few suggestions hopefully some of this helps.
  • Good Point x 1

#4 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 23 May 2015 - 09:52 PM

I'm going to have to argue the point that piracetam somehow doesn't work if your diet is bad. It should make no difference, beyond the obvious fact that a good diet improves overall health. Also, I've seen no data that Piracetam consistently helps with social anxiety on a statistical level, just that it helps some of the people who take it. Very it and miss. I would not recommend he start with it.

A good diet is always a plus though. Gotta agree with that.

#5 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:55 AM

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the response. Please find my reply below to your query:

@OneScrewLoose: 

1. I've been using Bacopa for 3 weeks. Whenever I usually take 250 mg Bacopa + 250 mg Aswagandha + 500 mg Mentat. I use the Himalaya brand for all of these. Didn't feel much difference though.
  2. I have tried meditation, but my racing thoughts are too strong for me to continue it.

So what will be your advise for me? as far as I can see i have one of the below options:

1.  5-HTP + EGCG at night, 5 mg of selegiline in the morning
  2. or Wellbutrin +  selegiline in the morning
  3. or clonidine +  selegiline in the morning

Which one would you recommend? Please let me know if I missed something. I'm really desperate to see some result! :(

Thanks in advance,

Sarif

Edited by Sarif, 24 May 2015 - 07:56 AM.

#6 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:58 AM

@Remington,

Thanks for your reply. My diet sure isn't very healthy right now. So I might as well look into that. Also I need to exercise more frequently. But you know, these things become hard to follow when you are constantly depressed, sleepy and your mind is always somewhere else :(

#7 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:56 AM

Hi Guys,

@OneScrewLoose: 

1. I've been using Bacopa for 3 weeks. Whenever I usually take 250 mg Bacopa + 250 mg Aswagandha + 500 mg Mentat. I use the Himalaya brand for all of these. Didn't feel much difference though.
  2. I have tried meditation, but my racing thoughts are too strong for me to continue it.

So what will be your advise for me? as far as I can see i have one of the below options:

Which one would you recommend? Please let me know if I missed something. I'm really desperate to see some result! :(

Thanks in advance,

Sarif

I would start by adding the clonidine. You take it at night to help you sleep. Are you able to get the prescription? 0.1mg/night is a good starting dose. You can take the selegiline in the day.

i would switch to this for the Bacopa, as it's the only one I've seen that has some level of Nutrigold, though it doesn't specify how much. Nutrigold is almost always the extract tested in the kinds of studies you find on pubmed.gov.

The amount of active ingredients standardized in the Himialaya brand of Ashwagandha seems low, and I would use another brand.

Mentat seems like a bunch of things thrown together at low doses, or as I would call them, marketing doses. The only significant dose there is Bacopa, and you're already taking that. The rest is low doses of a multitude of herbs with no standardization. A waste of money in my opinion.

#8 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 09:20 AM

Hi Guys,

@OneScrewLoose: 

Thanks in advance,

Sarif

I would start by adding the clonidine. You take it at night to help you sleep. Are you able to get the prescription? 0.1mg/night is a good starting dose. You can take the selegiline in the day.

i would switch to this for the Bacopa, as it's the only one I've seen that has some level of Nutrigold, though it doesn't specify how much. Nutrigold is almost always the extract tested in the kinds of studies you find on pubmed.gov.

The amount of active ingredients standardized in the Himialaya brand of Ashwagandha seems low, and I would use another brand.

Mentat seems like a bunch of things thrown together at low doses, or as I would call them, marketing doses. The only significant dose there is Bacopa, and you're already taking that. The rest is low doses of a multitude of herbs with no standardization. A waste of money in my opinion.

Unfortunately, where I live(India) I cannot lay my hand on many of the recommended products. Since I've already bought the Himalaya products, how about I follow the below routine  for the next week or so-

1. 0.1mg of clonidine at night
  2. 5 mg of selegiline + 4*250 mg himalaya Bacopa + 4*250 mg Himalaya Ashwagandha in the morning

As for the prescription, I'm not sure if I need prescription for clonidine here. Is it a controlled substance? 

And what about 5-HTP? Should I first see the effect of clonidine  then try it? Because I sure am missing my Prozac :(

Thanks,

Sarif

#9 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 24 May 2015 - 12:07 PM

Many pharmaceuticals are available without prescription in India, and that might include clonidine. It is not controlled.

The selegiline and Bacopa are good on a regular basis, but Ashwagandha loses its efficacy when taken daily. Take it when needed for maximum effect.

As far as the others, both Amazon and iHerb.com should ship to India. Sent you a PM.

#10 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

Many pharmaceuticals are available without prescription in India, and that might include clonidine. It is not controlled.

The selegiline and Bacopa are good on a regular basis, but Ashwagandha loses its efficacy when taken daily. Take it when needed for maximum effect.

As far as the others, both Amazon and iHerb.com should ship to India. Sent you a PM.

Quick update: Got clonidine from my local drug store. Gonna try 10 mg selegiline +1000mg Ashwagandha  in the morning and .2 mg clonidine at night for the next week. Will update the status soon.

Regards,

Sarif

#11 gamesguru

• 3,465 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:11 PM

Make sure your bacopa is at least 45% bacosides.

Consider exploring saffron and st. johns as options

#12 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 10:43 PM

Quick update: Got clonidine from my local drug store. Gonna try 10 mg selegiline +1000mg Ashwagandha  in the morning and .2 mg clonidine at night for the next week. Will update the status soon.

Regards,

Sarif

Careful with 10mg of selegiline. That's the point where it begins to inhibit MAO-A. I would max out at 7.5mg to be on the safe.

#13 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 05:09 PM

Regards,

Sarif

Careful with 10mg of selegiline. That's the point where it begins to inhibit MAO-A. I would max out at 7.5mg to be on the safe.

update(26/05/2015): took 2 mcg clonidine yesterday night, 5 mg selegiline + 1000 mg bacopa in the morning. Felt terribly sleepy the whole day. Gonna try only 1 mcg clonidine today.  If I still feel sleepy after waking up, should I increase selegiline to 10 mg?

#14 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 26 May 2015 - 10:44 PM

No, leave the selegiline where it is and let it build up. It takes a week. I think you mean 200 & 100 mcg of clonidine, or 0.2mg and 0.1mg. The lowest dose it comes in is 0.05mg, or 50mcg. 0.2mg was too hi of a starting dose and it's no wonder you're tired. This can also effect your blood pressure significantly if you rush it, as the first thing it was designed or was lowering blood pressure. Please be patient with these things. Take 0.1mg of clonidine or even half of that tablet at 0.05 and work up from there.

BTW, the Bacopa takes 8-12 weeks to take full effect. I would drop the Bacopa and everything else until you feel you are on the right dose of selegiline and clonidine. Too many variables going on here that make it too hard to see what causes what. I am guessing the rush comes from your pain. Try some meditation on top of this to help manage it while you adjust. I can go into some detail of how you can approach that if you wish.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 26 May 2015 - 10:45 PM.

#15 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:31 AM

No, leave the selegiline where it is and let it build up. It takes a week. I think you mean 200 & 100 mcg of clonidine, or 0.2mg and 0.1mg. The lowest dose it comes in is 0.05mg, or 50mcg. 0.2mg was too hi of a starting dose and it's no wonder you're tired. This can also effect your blood pressure significantly if you rush it, as the first thing it was designed or was lowering blood pressure. Please be patient with these things. Take 0.1mg of clonidine or even half of that tablet at 0.05 and work up from there.

BTW, the Bacopa takes 8-12 weeks to take full effect. I would drop the Bacopa and everything else until you feel you are on the right dose of selegiline and clonidine. Too many variables going on here that make it too hard to see what causes what. I am guessing the rush comes from your pain. Try some meditation on top of this to help manage it while you adjust. I can go into some detail of how you can approach that if you wish.

Dear OneScrewLoose,

Ok.....I'll try with only .1 mg clonidine and 5 mg selegiline for the next few days and nothing else. I've tried meditation in past but couldn't continue. It'll be great help if you can tell me how to approach.

Thanks again,

Sarif

#16 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 27 May 2015 - 03:38 AM

Dear OneScrewLoose,

Ok.....I'll try with only .1 mg clonidine and 5 mg selegiline for the next few days and nothing else. I've tried meditation in past but couldn't continue. It'll be great help if you can tell me how to approach.

Thanks again,
Sarif

The word meditation brings about so many connotations and expectations that people think they have to do all sorts of things in order for the activity to qualify as meditation. Did you know you can meditate standing up, walking, sitting down, laying down, etc? As long as it increases your mindfulness.

I would start with just five minutes per day in a comfortable sitting position, but not to comfortable to let you space out. Start with this:

http://bit.ly/1dh50vz

Do it just just 5 minutes per day, 10 if you're really enjoy it. The point isn't to make your mind work like this all the time, but just to have it work like this for a moment.

I highly recommend that book "The Meditation Bible," btw. I've had it for years and it's great. All the exercises are just 2 pages, like that one, and are amazingly easy to follow. BTW, meditation does not have to be sitting, or in any position. You just have to be sitting/stand/laying/aligned in such way that you can focus on the exercise (which is why I don't often meditate laying down).

#17 jroseland

• 1,117 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 05:22 PM

The authors of a population-based study of 278 people conducted in Rotterdam, The Netherlands came to the conclusion that low Vitamin B12 levels were a cause of depression and not merely a symptom of it.

“The association of vitamin B(12) and folate with depressive disorders may have different underlying mechanisms. Vitamin B(12) may be causally related to depression,”

This is an important distinction that’s not always understood by laypeople; marketers and people with agendas in regards our health will often make sensationalistic claims based upon a small piece of data that draws a vague and often purely coincidental connection between two things. Like when we hear someone claim that violent video games cause school shootings, hopefully we all understands that it’s not actually video games that cause shootings but that mentally unstable young men belong to a demographic that’s just more likely to play violent video games.

However in the case of depression and Vitamin B12, the researchers of this extensive study are saying that depression in a lot of their subjects was indeed, caused by the deficiency.

#18 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:12 PM

Not really:

Among the 278 subjects with depressive symptoms and the 416 comparison subjects, hyperhomocysteinemia, vitamin B12 deficiency, and folate deficiency were not associated with the presence of depressive symptoms (Table 1). When we restricted the analysis to the 112 subjects fulfilling the DSM-IV criteria for depressive disorders, we found that subjects with vitamin B12 deficiency were nearly 70% more likely than the comparison subjects to have a depressive disorder (Table 1). This association was independent of cardiovascular factors and functional status. When adjusting for only age and gender, we also observed a significant association of hyperhomocysteinemia and a nonsignificant association of folate deficiency with depressive disorders. However, these associations disappeared after correction for cardiovascular factors and functional status. No substantial differences in mean levels of vitamin B12 and folate were observed between the subjects with depressive disorders or symptoms and the reference subjects (data not shown). The subjects with depressive disorders had higher homocysteine levels (mean=11.7 µmol/liter, SD=5.9) than the reference subjects (mean=10.6, SD=3.7); the age- and gender-adjusted difference was 1.1 µmol/ liter, and the 95% confidence interval (CI) was 0.3 to 2.0 (p=0.01). However, adjustment for cardiovascular risk indicators and functional disability strongly decreased this difference, to 0.2 µmol/liter (95% CI=–0.7 to 1.1, p=0.66).

And besides, any deficiency of any vitamin (and not meaning sub-optimal levels, as commonly used around here), is bound to cause issues. For example, niacin deficiency causes a horrific disease.

#19 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

Dear OneScrewLoose,

Ok.....I'll try with only .1 mg clonidine and 5 mg selegiline for the next few days and nothing else. I've tried meditation in past but couldn't continue. It'll be great help if you can tell me how to approach.

Thanks again,

Sarif

Dear OneScrewLoose,

This is my update for the last week: I took .1 mg of clonodine and 5 mg of selegiline every day for the last few days. clonodine helped me sleep but my head felt a little bit heavy during the day. Other than that I didn't feel much effect of selegiline. So overall the experience was not very good - I felt sleepy, unmotivated , depressed with horribly racing mind - like always. Please advice what should I do next?

Thanks,

Sarif

#20 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:28 PM

Dear OneScrewLoose,

Thanks again,

Sarif

Dear OneScrewLoose,

This is my update for the last week: I took .1 mg of clonodine and 5 mg of selegiline every day for the last few days. clonodine helped me sleep but my head felt a little bit heavy during the day. Other than that I didn't feel much effect of selegiline. So overall the experience was not very good - I felt sleepy, unmotivated , depressed with horribly racing mind - like always. Please advice what should I do next?

Thanks,

Sarif

Selegiline takes 1 week to build up. After that, I would leave the dose alone, and try other things in addition. First I'd go for the 5-HTP + EGCG at night.

0.1mg of Clonidine can have that side-effect for a few days, it should wear off. If it doesn't, see if 0.05mg is enough to get you to sleep.

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 29 May 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#21 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:40 PM

Dear OneScrewLoose,

Thanks again,

Sarif

Dear OneScrewLoose,

Thanks,

Sarif

Selegiline takes 1 week to build up. After that, I would leave the dose alone, and try other things in addition. First I'd go for the 5-HTP + EGCG at night.

0.1mg of Clonidine can have that side-effect for a few days, it should wear off. If it doesn't, see if 0.05mg is enough to get you to sleep.

will 5-HTP + EGCG help with the motivation and racing mind as well? Thtat's the first thing that I need now :(

#22 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 08:42 PM

It can for some, yes. But first, we should focus on the general issues like sleep/wake cycle and energy before specific things like motivation and racing mind. Like I said though, it can help those.

#23 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:18 PM

Can you please guide me on which of these below brands I should buy...they are the ones available in amazon India:

5-HTP: Vitamin Shoppe, GNC, Doctor's Best, Jarrow Formulas, Natrol

EGCG: GNC, HealthAid 

Also what are the dose in which I should take them?

Another query, since I felt that Bacopa helps a little, should I add a good quality Bacopa as well? 

Thanks,

Sarif

#24 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:29 PM

I would use iHerb.com. They ship to India. Check your PM.

Bacopa might be helpful, but it takes 8-12 weeks to take full effect Let's explore that later.

#25 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:48 PM

I would use iHerb.com. They ship to India. Check your PM.

Bacopa might be helpful, but it takes 8-12 weeks to take full effect Let's explore that later.

Sure....I'll order iHerb.com with the information given in the PM. Can you please help me with the best brand and dosage for 5-HTP and EGCG?

#26 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

As I said in the PM, I like NOW, Doctor's Best, Jarrow's, Primaforce, Natrol, and a few others. I don't like GNC. I would take 100mg of 5-HTP and 500MG of EGCG. You could double that dose of 5-HTP eventually if you felt it helped. Don't combine 5-HTP with SSRIs, btw.

As I said in the PM, I like NOW, Doctor's Best, Jarrow's, Primaforce, Natrol, and a few others. I don't like GNC. I would take 100mg of 5-HTP and 500MG of EGCG. You could double that dose of 5-HTP eventually if you felt it helped. Don't combine 5-HTP with SSRIs, btw.

#27 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:57 AM

I ordered these 2 -

Doctor's Best 5-HTP 100 mg

NOW Foods EGCg Green Tea Extract 400 mg

the 2nd one contains 200 mg of EGCG per capsule . Should I take 2 of those per night?

#28 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 30 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

Usually they contain 400mg per capsule. If they only have 200mg then take 2.
  • Well Written x 1

#29 fntms

• 318 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 02:00 AM

I have the Now foods 'egcg 400mg' which indeed actually contains 200mg egcg...

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#30 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:39 AM

Oh, I see, it contains 50% EGCG. I thought the whole capsule was only 200mg. 1 capsule should be fine. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deprenyl, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users