• Create Account
  LongeCity
              Advocacy & Research for Unlimited Lifespans

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Depression: help me build a nootropic stack?

deprenyl depression

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#31 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:48 AM

Instead of taking 5-HTP from Doctor's best anf EGCG from Now, I ordered both from Now foods.

1. Now Foods, EGCg, Green Tea Extract, 90 Vcaps 
 2. Now Foods, 5-HTP, 100 mg, 60 Vcaps

Hope it works :)

#32 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2015 - 04:54 AM

Instead of taking 5-HTP from Doctor's best anf EGCG from Now, I ordered both from Now foods.

Me too. Just don't set your expectations to high, this is a trial-and-error process. And on the other hand, don't set them too low either. Just see what happens. This should take about 2 days to 1 week to see the full effect. Meanwhile how's the 5mg of selegiline and 0.1mg of clonidine going?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#33 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

Me too. Just don't set your expectations to high, this is a trial-and-error process. And on the other hand, don't set them too low either. Just see what happens. This should take about 2 days to 1 week to see the full effect. Meanwhile how's the 5mg of selegiline and 0.1mg of clonidine going?

Thanks for your kind words. Really appreciate it!

I've been taking 5mg of selegiline and 0.1mg of clonidine everyday - though of course I can feel a little difference but the effect is too mild now.

First few days of starting selegiline I thought that I found the perfect solution - but that feeling is gone now.  

If clonidine is there for only sleep, then can I replace or add magnessium supplement with it? Because I sleep better if I take magnessium, may be that's just because I'm deficient.

Thanks again,

Sarif

#34 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 31 May 2015 - 10:42 AM

You can add magnesium if you'd like, just don't take away the Clonidine. Just because you sleep better with extra magnesium, does not mean you are deficient.

#35 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 06:36 PM

I'll be totally honest with you, please bear with me for 2 minutes. I've been struggling to find a solution to my problem for a long times - I've read books, I've undergone behavioral therapy, I've taken medicine prescribed by psychiatrists - but nothing worked. In the end I made peace with the fact that I'll always be socially deficient and tried instead to focus on work. But it's hard to concentrate on work/study when part of your life is missing. But the situation worsened when a girl came into picture. That's when I became desperate again to find a solution. 

The main problem people have with me is the total lack of energy and lifeless behavior. Friends joke that anyone would become depressed if they spend 2 minutes with me. This may be because most of the times I live in my head. 

As per your advice I'm taking clonidine and selegiline. I also ordered 5-HTP and EGCG and waiting for the shipment. along with these can I take anything that'll help improve my energy drastically(I could really use a push right now, I don't care if there is risk).  

You can add magnesium if you'd like, just don't take away the Clonidine. Just because you sleep better with extra magnesium, does not mean you are deficient.

I'll be totally honest with you, please bear with me for 2 minutes. I've been struggling to find a solution to my problem for a long times - I've read books, I've undergone behavioral therapy, I've taken medicine prescribed by psychiatrists - but nothing worked. In the end I made peace with the fact that I'll always be socially deficient and tried instead to focus on work. But it's hard to concentrate on work/study when part of your life is missing. But the situation worsened when a girl came into picture. That's when I became desperate again to find a solution. 

The main problem people have with me is the total lack of energy and lifeless behavior. Friends joke that anyone would become depressed if they spend 2 minutes with me. This may be because most of the times I live in my head. 

As per your advice I'm taking clonidine and selegiline. I also ordered 5-HTP and EGCG and waiting for the shipment. along with these can I take anything that'll help improve my energy drastically(I could really use a push right now, i don't care if there is risk).  

#36 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 03 June 2015 - 07:50 AM

Well, while you wait for these to come in and see how they work, we can see if you have a common polymorphism of the 5-MTHFR gene. This gene methylates folate to methylfolate so it can be then transfered to SAM-E to act as a methyl donor for various neurotransmitters, which is often a final building block in their creation. Some people have a version of this gene that makes it operate at 70% efficiency and others have a version that operates at even lower 40% efficiency. It's not super common, but it's not uncommon either, and it can cause chronic fatigue There are three ways to test for it:

1. They now have blood tests for this. I believe Labcorps has one.

2. Most genetic services like 23AndMe will test for this SNP.

3. Take methylfolate. It's about $7 for a bottle of 800mcg tablets, and if it gives you energy you likely have the polymorphism, if it does nothing then you likely don't. Of course, this way is not guaranteed to tell you due to placebo effect. But while you wait for the other stuff, this won't hurt in the meantime if you're that low on energy.

If you can get the blood test though, I'd recommend that.

#37 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 06:02 PM

Well, while you wait for these to come in and see how they work, we can see if you have a common polymorphism of the 5-MTHFR gene. This gene methylates folate to methylfolate so it can be then transfered to SAM-E to act as a methyl donor for various neurotransmitters, which is often a final building block in their creation. Some people have a version of this gene that makes it operate at 70% efficiency and others have a version that operates at even lower 40% efficiency. It's not super common, but it's not uncommon either, and it can cause chronic fatigue There are three ways to test for it:

3. Take methylfolate. It's about $7 for a bottle of 800mcg tablets, and if it gives you energy you likely have the polymorphism, if it does nothing then you likely don't. Of course, this way is not guaranteed to tell you due to placebo effect. But while you wait for the other stuff, this won't hurt in the meantime if you're that low on energy.

Hi,

As you know I live in India. Many of the tests are not available here. Here is something I found -

http://100andlife.xcode.in/shop/

They have a package 'Nutrition/Metabolism + Fitness', which includes the MTHFR test. It'll take 4-5 weeks to get the result though. Should I get it done?

#38 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 06 June 2015 - 11:36 PM

Hi,

As you know I live in India. Many of the tests are not available here. Here is something I found -

http://100andlife.xcode.in/shop/

They have a package 'Nutrition/Metabolism + Fitness', which includes the MTHFR test. It'll take 4-5 weeks to get the result though. Should I get it done?

Seems a bit pricey and time-consuming right now. It'd just try the methylfolate. You can get it on Amazon or iherb.

#39 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 06:56 PM

Quick update: got my 5-HTP and EGCG today. Going to try clonidine+5-HTP+EGCG at night and Selegiline in morning for the next week.  

#40 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 11 June 2015 - 11:19 PM

Quick update: got my 5-HTP and EGCG today. Going to try clonidine+5-HTP+EGCG at night and Selegiline in morning for the next week.  

Keep us updated! Good luck!

#41 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 05:47 PM

Hi OneScrewLoose,

So this my after being a few days on the above stack:

1. I can feel slight improvement in overall mood. Though it's too subtle but I definitely notice it.(Thanks a lot for your advice)

2. I have also started regular exercise so I guess that is also helping.

3. Now I'm facing 2 problems - First: If I don't take clonidine I can't fall asleep. But if I take clonodine then I wake up after 6 to 7 hours and feel terribly sleepy and heavy headed the next day. Should I consider a stimulant? Second: The problem with racing thought has worsened. I can't concentrate and if I try too hard I get headache. I need to solve this problem on a priority as I have an important exam in 2 months. Is there anything that'll help?

Thanks again

#42 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 19 June 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi OneScrewLoose,

1. I can feel slight improvement in overall mood. Though it's too subtle but I definitely notice it.(Thanks a lot for your advice)

3. Now I'm facing 2 problems - First: If I don't take clonidine I can't fall asleep. But if I take clonodine then I wake up after 6 to 7 hours and feel terribly sleepy and heavy headed the next day. Should I consider a stimulant? Second: The problem with racing thought has worsened. I can't concentrate and if I try too hard I get headache. I need to solve this problem on a priority as I have an important exam in 2 months. Is there anything that'll help?

Thanks again

any reply please?

#43 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 07:52 AM

Hi OneScrewLoose,

Thanks again

First, how much clonidine do you take?

Regular exercise is always a plus.

With the racing thoughts, there might be a number of things going on here. First of all, there's the increase in dopamine from the selegiline. 5mg might be too much for you. You could try 2.5mg/day and see how that effects it, but remember, it takes your body a week to adjust.

Would you say your racing thoughts are obsessive, or just an endless stream of thinking? If it's the former, Inositol might help (see attached PDF). If it's the latter have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD or anything in the ADHD spectrum?

Attached Files

Edited by OneScrewLoose, 21 June 2015 - 07:53 AM.

#44 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:03 AM

Hi OneScrewLoose,

Thanks again

First, how much clonidine do you take?

Regular exercise is always a plus.

With the racing thoughts, there might be a number of things going on here. First of all, there's the increase in dopamine from the selegiline. 5mg might be too much for you. You could try 2.5mg/day and see how that effects it, but remember, it takes your body a week to adjust.

Would you say your racing thoughts are obsessive, or just an endless stream of thinking? If it's the former, Inositol might help (see attached PDF). If it's the latter have you ever been diagnosed with ADHD or anything in the ADHD spectrum?

Hi,

1. I take .1 mg of clonidine at night.

2. You can say my racing thoughts are obsessive. Also you are right right on the point that I was diagnosed with ADHD. I was on prescription med(don't remember the name at this moment) but it didn't help much.

3. The racing thought problem was there even before starting selegiline. I think this is worsened by the excessive sleepiness caused by clonidine.

Can I replace clonidine with magnessium or something else? Clonidine helps me sleep, but I wake up tired and lethargic.

4. As a summary, I think my racing thought problem is caused by a combination of: ADHD + Lifelong habit of staying in my head due to excessive social anxiety + daytime sleepiness.

Please advice if I should go ahead with inositol or I should try something else?

#45 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:56 AM

I would add L-Dopa to the 5-HTP + EGCG at night to help you wake up less groggy. L-Dopa is converted to dopamine by L-Amino-Acid-Decarboxylase, the same enzyme that converts 5HTP to serotonin. So the EGCG will help the L-Dopa reach your brain just like it does with the 5HTP.

You could always try .05mg or 0.75mg of Clonidine. They actually make tablets at 0.05mg.

I would give the Inositol a shot. It doesn't seem to have any side effects. Just by at least 500g, because 18g/day is 2 1/2 tablespoons.

Try to get back to me on what medication you took for ADHD.

You can add magnesium regardless. Just make sure to get a chelate. It could help with your sleep without regard to anything else you're taking. And the extra magnesium would probably be good for you as we sometimes don't get enough from our diet.

If you can get back to me on what med you took for ADHD, that will give me a lot of insight.

#46 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 03:35 PM

I would add L-Dopa to the 5-HTP + EGCG at night to help you wake up less groggy. L-Dopa is converted to dopamine by L-Amino-Acid-Decarboxylase, the same enzyme that converts 5HTP to serotonin. So the EGCG will help the L-Dopa reach your brain just like it does with the 5HTP.

You could always try .05mg or 0.75mg of Clonidine. They actually make tablets at 0.05mg.

I would give the Inositol a shot. It doesn't seem to have any side effects. Just by at least 500g, because 18g/day is 2 1/2 tablespoons.

You can add magnesium regardless. Just make sure to get a chelate. It could help with your sleep without regard to anything else you're taking. And the extra magnesium would probably be good for you as we sometimes don't get enough from our diet.

If you can get back to me on what med you took for ADHD, that will give me a lot of insight.

Hi,

thanks for your advice.

these are the medication I was on previously:

1. ADHD: Methylphenidate

2. Social Anxiety: Propranolol

3. Depression: Prozac

So as I understood from previous post, I can try (L-Dopa+5-HTP+EGCG+.05 mg clonidine+magnessium chelate) at night and (Inositol+selegiline) in the morning. Can you please suggest the dosage for L-dopa, Inositol and mg? I'm planning to by all now foods brand. Hope that's ok?

Thanks,

Sarif

#47 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 07:15 PM

Hi,

thanks for your advice.

these are the medication I was on previously:

1. ADHD: Methylphenidate

2. Social Anxiety: Propranolol

3. Depression: Prozac

So as I understood from previous post, I can try (L-Dopa+5-HTP+EGCG+.05 mg clonidine+magnessium chelate) at night and (Inositol+selegiline) in the morning. Can you please suggest the dosage for L-dopa, Inositol and mg? I'm planning to by all now foods brand. Hope that's ok?

Thanks,

Sarif

Addition to the above post:

I did some research and found that some people got amazing result from using Inositol. I want to try it. Can you please suggest a good brand for this? Also I read that people usually take higher dosage of inositol(10-20 g/day). but I saw that the capsules from now foods inositol comes only in 500 mg.

#48 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 24 June 2015 - 08:28 PM

I've used Swanson's powder. Seems to work for me.

#49 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 04:57 AM

Do you combine it with some other supplement? I've heard choline goes well with inositol. Also will you please let me know what dosage you take and what benefit you felt?

#50 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 28 June 2015 - 08:26 AM

NOW Foods is fine. Inositol doesn't need anything else. Just mix 18g per day with water. It's a lot, so I'd recommending buying at least 500g so you save money.

One capsule of the L-Dopa from NOW, which gives 120mg of L-Dopa, should be fine.

#51 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 09:25 AM

Thanks. I'm ordering the below:

Now foods, Inositol Powder, 1 lb

Doctor's best Chelated Magnessium,120 tablets

Madre Labs Omega-3

I was planning to buy choline powder as well but since you said that it's not required I'm removing it from the stack and adding Now foods L-Dopa. I hope that's ok?

Also, while I try inositol should I stop 5-HTP and deprenyl? I read that one user had very bad expreince from inositol+5-HTP combo:-

http://www.longecity...ver-since-then/

#52 tintinet

• 1,972 posts

Posted 28 June 2015 - 11:49 AM

Do you combine it with some other supplement? I've heard choline goes well with inositol. Also will you please let me know what dosage you take and what benefit you felt?

I've taken it along with various other things including 5-HTP. No adverse effects. About 16 grams twice a day. Seems to help reduce anxiety.

#53 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:52 AM

Madre Labs Omega-3

I was planning to buy choline powder as well but since you said that it's not required I'm removing it from the stack and adding Now foods L-Dopa. I hope that's ok?

Also, while I try inositol should I stop 5-HTP and deprenyl? I read that one user had very bad expreince from inositol+5-HTP combo:-

There should be no interaction between 5-HTP and Inositol. I would say it's most likely that his reaction was psychosomatic due to anxiety.

Madre Labs Omega-3 only has 180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA. I would take two per day, as this is a bit low.

Why do you think you need choline? Unless you are taking a racetam, there is no point.

#54 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 29 June 2015 - 05:11 PM

Madre Labs Omega-3

There should be no interaction between 5-HTP and Inositol. I would say it's most likely that his reaction was psychosomatic due to anxiety.

Madre Labs Omega-3 only has 180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA. I would take two per day, as this is a bit low.

Why do you think you need choline? Unless you are taking a racetam, there is no point.

Okay the, I've placed the order. Will update you once i receive it. 

#55 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 29 June 2015 - 11:55 PM

Keep in mind that the inositol trial was for 6 weeks at 18g/day, so give it some time to work. Also, I should have mentioned this before, but make sure you get myo-inositol.

#56 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 30 June 2015 - 05:12 AM

I have ordered now foods inositol powder, I think it's in myo-inositol form.

i had posted another thread in the forum. I got some reply there as well. If you get some free time will it be possible for you check that out? Just a request as I'm new to the field and unable to comprehend everything.

http://www.longecity...lz/#entry733288

#57 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

I'd like to keep it to one thread. Can you post the relevant questions/info here please?

#58 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 03:29 AM

I'd like to keep it to one thread. Can you post the relevant questions/info here please?

yeah sure....I'll close the other one.

#59 Sarif

• Topic Starter
  • 69 posts

Posted 01 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

Hi,

just a quick question....can I take bodybuilding supplements like creatine, l-carnitine safely with my above stack?

sponsored ad

• Advert
Advertisements help to support the work of this non-profit organisation. To go ad-free join as a Member.

#60 OneScrewLoose

• 2,378 posts
  • NO

Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

Yeah, those will be fine. Also, make sure you realize how much 18g is. It's 2 1/2 tablespoons (NOT teaspoons), or slightly less than 1 standard shot glass.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: deprenyl, depression

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users